What the heck are the Jets doing?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

What the heck are the Jets doing?

very glad to see Leon Washington and Alan Faneca leaving the Jets today.Although talented on paper, I have a very strong feeling the Jets(just like the Dolphins did this year)will be taking a step back and will finish with 8 wins. Ryan is a very good defensive coordinator with his rah rah attitude, but who knows as a head coach? Plus there has been alot of turnover on the roster including losing team leaders Thomas Jones and now Faneca.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seanblaze. Show seanblaze's posts

Re: What the heck are the Jets doing?

Wouldn't mind seeing Faneca in Foxboro...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: What the heck are the Jets doing?:
    Wouldn't mind seeing Faneca in Foxboro...
    Posted by seanblaze
    Wait a week there will be all kinds of players receiving their walking papers... They say that Faneca wasn't able to pass block last year,that wouldn't be good for the patriots as they are a pass happy team!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

agreed.Imagine him and Mankins as the guards. That would be strong!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

agreed.Imagine him and Mankins as the guards. That would be strong!
    Posted by rickrand3

Neal and Mankins are already strong.  I would say that Neal is better than Faneca (who is old) when he's healthy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Faneca and Neal are similar contributors only Faneca gets on the field more. I'd love to just platoon them @ RG and it would keep them both healthy...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Jets Replaced:
    Faneca w/ Ducasse
    Washington w/ McKnight
    Richardson w/ Connor
    Jones w/ LT
    Shepard w/ Cromartie (w/ Wilson)

Added:
    Mr. Drop (Edwards)
    Mr. Suspended (Holmes)

At some point, the passing game may improved. The primary factor will be Sanchez. Will he be a 20+ int guy again? If so, 8 and 8 is the dream for the Jets. They're going to be far worse in the running game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

I keep hearing how great a "fit" cromartie is, but he's absolutely useless against the run, and with the way the jets blitz their corners are often left on an island...oh and there's the fact that he's a one year wonder.  Their run game certainly isn't improved over last year, Shonn Greene (what a silly first name) isn't a full time back and McKnight underachieves and isn't physical at all.  I wouldn't say they've taken a step back from last year, but when you really assess the moves it's a big stretch to anoint them as most major news services seem to have done.  Lots of big names, not much production

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

Remember peeps the only reason they are trying to hyp the jets is so they can sell those seats in the new stadium. They have to build the team up somehow so they can real all of the big money suckers in. They are building a house of cards and within a year it will all come down. They just don't get it, NY has always been the Giants town always has and always will.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

The Jets and Dolphins have done quite abit to improve their offseason.  The Phins added Dansby and of course Brandon Marshall.  The Pats have done very little to nothing in the FA market, and have wasted their #1 pick. 

With Brady anything is possible, but based on last season and Welker's injury, the Pats are going to have a very tough time winning the AFC east.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Diminshing their running game is helping the Jets? The Phins are another matter. The Jets have made some splashy moves.  Some of them might pay off, but replacing TJ with LT and dropping Washington & Faneca for two draft picks is not helping them.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Although I see a slight step back for the Jets running game, I do think Dirty Sanchez will be a little better.  I do see them as our #1 competition this year.  And I dont think the Phins will be as bad as last year either.  It is going to be a battle this year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

In Response to Re: What the heck are the Jets doing? : Oh Rusty, you are so silly.  A horrendous draft?  Not having 12 picks does not equal a bad draft.  Lets see, they got a great WR in Holmes for their #5, a Great WR in Braylon Edwards for their #3, A great cover corner in Cromartie for a # 3 and then grabbed what many consider the best corner/return man in the draft with their top pick.  Then, they added depth to running back & fullback and got a solid Oline replacement for Faneca.  When you don't allow the players to all get to old at once, you don't need to stockpile picks and replace 1/2 your team in 2 years. NE 2007 draft was downright awful, except when you consider they got Moss & Welker for a 2,4 & 7, then it becomes just an average draft. To recap, the Jets got the 2 best WRs and the 2 best corners in the draft and then, added depth to an already strong oline and running game.  Yep, that's horrendous alright.  The question is, will they only lead the league in defense and running AGAIN or will it be defense, running & passing? 
    Posted by bjesuss

You can say all you want about the best defense in the league. It is true. But at the end of the day, in the second half of the game against the cols you could not stop Peyton Manning. Until you can do it in the playoffs consistently then it is just statistics. The new corner will help because Lowery was horrible against the Colts. People will be gunning for you know any you wont fly under the radar.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarylandFan. Show MarylandFan's posts

Revis and Cromartie will be FA's after the 2010 season. Both need to eat and will want Big Al Haynesworth type money - $100 mil/7 w/$40 mil guaranteed. Don't forget Cromartie has 7 kids in 5 states to support. Jokes fans conveniently don't mention the probable loss of both of them. The Jokes have signed a bunch of thugs and w/the loss of Washington, TJ and Faneca and a less than stellar draft are weaker than last yr. 7-9 perhaps 8-8.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Very good points One If By Sea.  And I can see us trading one of those top 4 picks next year into the following year. Then, assuming it is a good QB draft we can grab the best QB to eventually replace TB (a day I might shed a tear).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The answer to the question posed in the title of the thread is "selling personal seat licenses," so jjjj gets to ask the next question. That the league itself (which is just a funny way of saying "the networks") is bending over backward to aid Green New Jersey in this process speaks volumes about what is important to the league and what is not. Unless I miss my guess -- and that's all it is, really . . .  a guess -- ultimately, all the hype that is being generated is going to backfire on the Jests. They might be competitive this season, or they might not. I am not sold on The Sanchise, and better receivers (and a weaker running game) are not the solutions to his problems. In any case, they do not, as constituted, appear to be built for the long haul. I suspect they will have no problem filling up the stadium. Their problems are coming next year . . .   and the year after that . . .   and . . .

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

mark these posts, because predictions are bountiful here.  They will either be exposed as just homer comments or thoughtful responses. 

Too bad we have another 4+ months before the answers start developing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

well said encinitas

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to What the heck are the Jets doing?:
    very glad to see Leon Washington and Alan Faneca leaving the Jets today.

RESPONSE: Agreed. I was especially happy to see Patriot killer Leon Washington go. He was a lightning in a bottle playmaker. But, Washington wants big money, despite coming back from a broken leg. He'll be an unrestricted free agent next season, assuming that there is a next season.  OT Vladimir Ducasse was drafted to replace Faneca at guard. The Jets must feel that Faneca, at age 33, is no longer worth what they're paying him.

Although talented on paper, I have a very strong feeling the Jets(just like the Dolphins did this year)will be taking a step back and will finish with 8 wins.

RESPONSE: The Jets should have a ball-hawking secondary. But, how effective the CBs are will depend on whether the Jets can pressure the opposing QB. On offense, it's all on QB Mark Sanchez, and his wounded knees. They would have been better off keeping Thomas Jones, than adding the whiny LT. Joe McKnight could develop into a good back.

Ryan is a very good defensive coordinator with his rah rah attitude, but who knows as a head coach?

RESPONSE: Rex is a good coach. But, for the Jets to take the next step, Mark Sanchez must improve...and stay healthy.  

Plus there has been alot of turnover on the roster including losing team leaders Thomas Jones and now Faneca.

RESPONSE: The Jets will manage. The play of Sanchez is their key.

Posted by rickrand3

rick:

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

The answer to the question posed in the title of the thread is "selling personal seat licenses," so jjjj gets to ask the next question. That the league itself (which is just a funny way of saying "the networks") is bending over backward to aid Green New Jersey in this process speaks volumes about what is important to the league and what is not. Unless I miss my guess -- and that's all it is, really . . .  a guess -- ultimately, all the hype that is being generated is going to backfire on the Jests. They might be competitive this season, or they might not. I am not sold on The Sanchise, and better receivers (and a weaker running game) are not the solutions to his problems. In any case, they do not, as constituted, appear to be built for the long haul. I suspect they will have no problem filling up the stadium. Their problems are coming next year . . .   and the year after that . . .   and . . .
    Posted by p-mike

Agreed and agreed.

The Jets are trying to sell tickets for their expensive new stadium (which also won't be as loud once the hype wears down, fortunately).

Also, I don't trust any quarterback who essentially had to use a SPED playbook with color coding in order to understand situational football.

While I think the Jets and their talented roster pose the biggest threat in the division, I think Chad Henne is a much better QB than Dirty Sanchez.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Jets Replaced: Faneca w/ Ducasse Washington w/ McKnight Richardson w/ Connor Jones w/ LT Shepard w/ Cromartie (w/ Wilson) Added: Mr. Drop (Edwards) Mr. Suspended (Holmes) At some point, the passing game may improved. The primary factor will be Sanchez. Will he be a 20+ int guy again? If so, 8 and 8 is the dream for the Jets. They're going to be far worse in the running game.
    Posted by KyleCleric2

Kyle, you beat me too it.  I was going to draw the same comparisons.  The Jets did not improve significantly in the off season. 

Thomas Jones is better than Tomlinson at this point in their careers
    Washington is proven, McKnight is injury prone
    Fanecca is a beast with tread left.  Ducasse weakens the line at least this year
    Jason Taylor is on the back nine
    Holmes was an upgrade but could be a head ache too.
    Wilson upgrades their return game and their already amazing secondary
    Losing Rhodes and gaining Cromartie is a wash
    With just 4 draft picks, the Jets did not get any younger.  Their OL isn't as good.  Their DL wasn't really improved.  They are thin at TE.

The Dolphins on the other hand made some moves.

Getting Dansby was huge.
    Getting Marshall was huge.
    They had a solid draft.  Add Misi, Edds and Odrick to that defense is scary.  Their LB corps are as talented as there is.  They have a talented young secondary led by Davis and they added Rashed Jones at S.
    John Jerry will improve their interior OL.

I think the Dolphins pass the Jets this year.  I think we stay on top given our draft.  Our new TEs will be amazing.  Spikes will bring attitude and run stuffing to the center of our D.  The combination of Price/Tate/Holt/Patten solves our #3 WR need for now.  I wish we did something at RB but I guess we think we can get one more year out of these old horses.  McCourty will be an immediate impact on special teams and could beat out the other young CBs.  While we don't have a dominate Seymour-esk DE, we added some proven veterans that more than make up for the loss of Green.  We have THREE THIRD ROUND picks from the last 2 drafts that haven't played yet.

We added a directional punter that will improve our field position.  All things considered I think the Pats and Dolphins improved the most.  It will be a dog fight but I still think we are the team to beat in the AFC East until someone proves otherwise.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

The Jets and Dolphins have done quite abit to improve their offseason.  The Phins added Dansby and of course Brandon Marshall.  The Pats have done very little to nothing in the FA market, and have wasted their #1 pick.  With Brady anything is possible, but based on last season and Welker's injury, the Pats are going to have a very tough time winning the AFC east.
    Posted by BBRULES23

I agree, think bellichick is focusing on 2011 season more with two first and second round picks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

In Response to Re: What the heck are the Jets doing? : You can say all you want about the best defense in the league. It is true. But at the end of the day, in the second half of the game against the cols you could not stop Peyton Manning. Until you can do it in the playoffs consistently then it is just statistics. The new corner will help because Lowery was horrible against the Colts. People will be gunning for you know any you wont fly under the radar.
    Posted by BS10FAN

True that, they haven't proved anything sure they are tough on paper but are they winners?

25. This post has been removed.