what to do with the extra cap room?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

what to do with the extra cap room?

now that brady has signed that team friendly contract, id like to see what the people of the board think the pats should do with it. the obvious answers will be to re-sign welker, talib, vollmer...etc. but im talking more specifically in terms of fresh blood. should they pursue ed reed, dwight freeney, dwyane bowe? tell me what you think!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: what to do with the extra cap room?

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

One think to keep in mind that's not related to 2013, is 2014 and the fact that they'd need to re-up McCourty and probably Spikes, assuming they have good seasons. But, I think McCourty is a must and a definite.

So, it's really about how to get to 2015 where the moves this year will affect next year's situation, too.

true, but its obvious that tom wants to win now....the mccourty and spikes contracts will be huge talking points next offseason, like the welker, talib, and vollmer contracts are right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Defense, defense and after that....more defense.

I think Volmer is a gonner

Talib...transitional tag

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Right, but those will affect negotiations with McCourty, which make sense to actually use the transition tag on Talib.

It's a tad high for him, but now that Brady has restructured and these other FA CBs might be looking for 10 mil per and 4 years, maybe it's a better move to tag Talib so Talib's contract doesn't give McCourty leverage.

Think about it: It would really be awkward if Talib gets some big deal and then McCourty's sitting there next offseason looking for his second deal.

Regardless of the rhetoric, BB loves McCourty, does whatever he is asked and provides a lot for the team.

I say move on from Vollmer if it gets silly. Just go to Cannon. Cannon was one of the better Guards coming into the 2011 draft, but went in Rd 5. I was impressed with his play in place of Vollmer, too.  He sort of changed my mind at needing to play Guard.  Plus, I am wondering if Cannon provides a better run blocking approach on the strong side vs Vollmer.  I don't think Cannon was being used so much at Tackle and not Guard by accident.

Ditch Woodhead, get a bigger back.

Resign Edelman, Donald Thomas and Arrington out of the gate.  If Arrington's price becomes #2 money, say goodbye and look elsewhere.

Sign Brian Hartline at WR.  I can't believe Bowe would cost more than Hartline, but he might.  Bowe has some baggage that would be of concern. Plus, he drops a lot of balls.

At Safety, see what Dashon Goldson wants, see what Ed Reed wants. See what CB Brent Grimes wants.

Wait for Pouha to be cut, call Casey Hampton, and see which older NT/DT wants a chance at a ring in 2013.

Call Chad Kruger, but he's likley going to be asking for money now.

nice post. i agree on everything except for vollmer....donald thomas is very good, but vollmer is a sought after free agent for a reason...he is very important to the team. if he asks for too much and they say goodbye to him, i still think they will be fine with thomas, but there will be a dropoff in production imo.

hartline seems like a good choice at receiver due to his seperation speed, i wouldnt be opposed tow either hartline or bowe.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Sign Byrd to play safety alongside McCourty

If they do that, keep our own free agents, trade Mallett, and use the 4-5 picks on a big play/deep threat WR, 2 front 7 defenders (1 or both who can get to the QB), and O-line depth, then we'll have NAILED the offseason

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Vollmer is in trouble for his back and only his back. Of all positions where a bad back is a career ender it's the O or D line. Only the Pats know his medical file. If he was 100% healthy...he gets paid. But 8-10 mil for a guy that's had back surgery and is still having issues is risky as hell. It's a really tough call with him.

Talib at transitional does get overpaid. But what the heck can we do really. We need D backs very badly. If we tie up Talib we can then pursue the Safety we need. Plus it gives us a year to watch Talib for a full season.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

My only concern with Byrd is why is Buffalo letting go George Wilson and now Byrd?  Their Run D has been atrocious for years now and I don't ger the infatuation with Byrd.  Good, solid player, but I am not sure he's the difference maker to pair with McCourty.

Pretty sure Buffalo is making a big push to resign Byrd who was 2nd team all-pro last season.  I haven't read anything that says they intend to let him walk.  They could very well franchise him.  Guy is a really good player on a bad defense.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

let vollmer walk, sign king dunlap OT eagles

resign talib, sign brent grimes as well

sign reed SS

sign aaron curry olb oakland or manny lawson OLB Cincy

resign welker, endelman

keep lloyd, sign david nelson WR Bills

give steven jackson a 1-2 mil 1 year contract to get a ring, let woodhead walk

hire bret maxie the DB's coach from the titans! and draft Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Resign Vollmer

Resign Welker as long as the money is right.  If not go after Hartline or Donald Jones or both.

Go after Desmond Bryant

Go after Ed Reed

Sign Talib if the money if right or go after Brent Grimes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Sign Byrd to play safety alongside McCourty

If they do that, keep our own free agents, trade Mallett, and use the 4-5 picks on a big play/deep threat WR, 2 front 7 defenders (1 or both who can get to the QB), and O-line depth, then we'll have NAILED the offseason

My only concern with Byrd is why is Buffalo letting go George Wilson and now Byrd?  Their Run D has been atrocious for years now and I don't ger the infatuation with Byrd.  Good, solid player, but I am not sure he's the difference maker to pair with McCourty.

he is

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I would rather see us drop Mankins than Vollmer if it comes down to dropping a top lineman because of money.  He played VERY well last year even after those back issues.  It would appear they aren't hampering him.  He has more upside and longevity at this point as well.  Vollmer on one side and Solder on the other is some seriously monsterous and productive book ends to help keep Brady healthy.

We need to address Corner, Wide Reciever, and Defensive Lineman (someone that can compliment Wilfork properly).  In that order of importance.  Hoping Talib signs on.  Believe Welker will be back now that Brady signed a 50 cents on the dollar contract.  Need a big target field stretcher to go with him.  And lastly someone that can help Wilfork pound the opposing offensive line into sand play after play. 

Not worried about pass rushers as so many others are.  I think who we currently have can get after the QB.  It's just keeping them healthy and on the field. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Can Talib be franchised? I thought he was an unrestricted free agent?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

#1 Resign Talib

#2 Resign Vollmer 

#3 Sign Goldson

#4 Resign Edelman and let Welker walk.

#5 Trade our first rounder for a 2nd and 3rd. Gives us 2 picks in the 2nd and 2 picks in the 3rd.

Draft 

2A- Justin Hunter- An complete outside WR

2B- Margus Hunt- Play him all over the D-Line and he has big time potential

3A-Kyle Long- Super athletic guard

3B-Ryan Swope- Takes Welker's spot in the slot

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

#1 Resign Talib

#2 Resign Vollmer 

#3 Sign Goldson

#4 Resign Edelman and let Welker walk.

#5 Trade our first rounder for a 2nd and 3rd. Gives us 2 picks in the 2nd and 2 picks in the 3rd.

Draft 

2A- Justin Hunter- An complete outside WR

2B- Margus Hunt- Play him all over the D-Line and he has big time potential

3A-Kyle Long- Super athletic guard

3B-Ryan Swope- Takes Welker's spot in the slot

ill take it, add freeney for little money.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

I would rather see us drop Mankins than Vollmer if it comes down to dropping a top lineman because of money.  He played VERY well last year even after those back issues.  It would appear they aren't hampering him.  He has more upside and longevity at this point as well.  Vollmer on one side and Solder on the other is some seriously monsterous and productive book ends to help keep Brady healthy.

We need to address Corner, Wide Reciever, and Defensive Lineman (someone that can compliment Wilfork properly).  In that order of importance.  Hoping Talib signs on.  Believe Welker will be back now that Brady signed a 50 cents on the dollar contract.  Need a big target field stretcher to go with him.  And lastly someone that can help Wilfork pound the opposing offensive line into sand play after play. 

Not worried about pass rushers as so many others are.  I think who we currently have can get after the QB.  It's just keeping them healthy and on the field. 

" I think who we currently have can get after the QB"

rewatch the baltimore game

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

let vollmer walk, sign king dunlap OT eagles

resign talib, sign brent grimes as well

sign reed SS

sign aaron curry olb oakland or manny lawson OLB Cincy

resign welker, endelman

keep lloyd, sign david nelson WR Bills

give steven jackson a 1-2 mil 1 year contract to get a ring, let woodhead walk

hire bret maxie the DB's coach from the titans! and draft Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU

thats a lot of stuff. is there room on the roster for all those guys?

enough dough?