What We Can Ascertain After Week One

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

What We Can Ascertain After Week One

In the aftermath of Week One, these are observations I've made regarding each teams:

I.) NFC

A.) NFC EAST:

1.) New York Giants: Tough defense. Don't be fooled by the relatively close 23-17 win over the Redskins. The Giants are a much superior team. But, they got a bad break when their #1 pick, WR Hakeen Nicks, was carted off the field by what appeared to be a serious injury. Though Mario Manningham looked good, lack of a go to WR may again be their Achilles Heel. Don't be surprised if the Giants gamble on Brandon Marshall, if he can be had for less than a 1st round pick.  

2.) Philadelphia Eagles: After their demolition of the Carolina Panthers in Carolina, the question is...are the Eagles that good, or are the DelHomme led Panthers that bad? I tend to lean toward the Eagles being that good. Donavan McNabb has plenty of weapons. But, The Don also has a cracked rib, after foolishly busting through three Panther defenders to get into the endzone for a frosting on the cake TD. They play the Saints next week in Philly. As I've stated previously, Desean Jackson may be the most dangerous gamebreaker in the NFL. 

3.) Dallas Cowboys: After a sluggish first half, the Boys stepped it up, and won rather easily. It appears that they'll be a better team without TO. Still, their defense surrendered 21 points against a very mediocre Tampa Bay offense. Tony Romo reportedly tweaked his ankle during the win...but should be ready to go next week against the Giants.

4.) Washington Redskins: 
    This team is going nowhere with Jason Campbell as their QB. He just doesn't seem to inspire confidence in his team. The 'Skins have no chance in the toughest division in football...the NFC East. 

B.) NFC NORTH: 

1.) Minnesota Vikings:
    Early indications are that they'll battle the Packers for the division title. What was telling in their easy win over the hapless Cleveland Browns was that Brett Farve threw the ball only 21 times in their win. With RB Adrian Peterson rushing for 180 yards, a QB can afford to play from a hammock. The Vikings' defense looked good in shutting down the Browns;

2.) Green Bay Packers:
    A bit of a disappointing performance by "The Pack", after an impressive preseason. QB Aaron Rodgers missed a couple of wide open receivers on deep throws, which could have broken the game open. Whats' also apparent is that the Packers need another RB to spell Ryan Grant. Pitiful four pick performance by media darling Jay Cutler giftwrapped this win for Geen Bay

3.) Chicago Bears:
    Bear backers got four picks from hotshot QB, Jay Cutler, when they surely were expecting four TD passes. Another performance like this and Cutler will be hearing the boo birds, bigtime. Add to this that stud LB Brian Urlacher suffered a wrist injury, requiring surgery. But cheer up, Bear fans, next week, Cutler faces the Steelers in Chicago...LOL!!   

4.) Detroit Lions: Their secondary played as badly as the Pats secondary did during the preseason. Matt Stafford is no Mark Sanchez. Looks like another long year in Detroit.

C.) NFC SOUTH: 

1.) Atlanta Falcons: Should battle it out with the Saints for divisional supremacy. Beat a good Miami team to open the season. They have a solid offensive unit...but will go as far as their defense allows. 

2.) New Orleans Saints: Explosive offense, triggered by one of the top QBs in the game in Drew Brees. Still, their defense gave up alot of points to the toothless Lions. Not a good sign. The Philly game next week should be a better barometer on just how good this team is.   

3.) Carolina Panthers: As I stated many times prior to yesterdays' debacle...I can't believe that Carolina's management agreed to resign QB Jake DelHomme for huge money ($20mil. guaranteed), after his awful playoff performance against Arizona. DelHomme repeated that hideous effort yesterday by throwing four picks, and losing a fumble (which resulted in an Eagle TD). DE Julius Peppers has to be wondering why DelHomme, and not he, got the lucrative extension.

4.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers:
    This is a team that should shift into a rebuilding mode...and see what rookie QB Josh Freeman can do. Trade to acquire vastly overrated TE Kellen Winslow Jr. looked as dumb on the field as it was on paper...as Winslow had a severe case of the dropsies.  

D.) NFC WEST: 

1.) Seattle Seahawks:
    No great feat in beating the pathetic Rams. Nonetheless, the 'Hawks offense and defense both played well. Would not be surprised to see the 'Hawks reclaim this division.

2.) San Francisco 49ers:
    Coach Mike Singletary has his team plaing inspired football...and believing. Though QB Shaun Hill is no Drew Brees, he appears to be at least a servicable NFL QB. But, a lack of quality WRs to help him along will eventually hurt this team. Rookie #1 pick, WR Michael Crabtree, might have been huge. We'll never know...as he reportedly will sit out the year, and enter the 2010 draft. Incidently, he's represented by agent Eugene Parker, the agent for Richard Seymour.

3.) Arizona Cardinals:
    Can't write the defending NFC champs off after just one game, can we? Thirty-eight year old Kurt Warner needs protection even more than Tom Brady...but he got none yesterday. The Cards appear to have big problems at OT.

4.) St. Louis Rams:
    The Rams badly need a good young QB...and may rue the day that they passed on Mark Sanchez.  

II. AFC

A.) AFC East: 

1.) New England Patriots:
    Who knows what to expect. While the offense, so long as Tom Brady stays healthy, should be potent...the defense is a major concern. The CB tandum of Leigh Bodden (a free agent starter from the 0-16 Lions), and 34 year old Shawn Springs fails to inspire confidence. In addition, top draft choice, SS Patrick Chung, has shown TeBucky Jones/Duane Starks-like coverage skills during the preseason. The pass rush looks worse that ever, with the departure of Richard Seymour, and the failure of Shawn Crable to amount to anything more that a practice squad-like performer. BB certainly has his work cut out for him.

2.) NY Jets:
    Draft day trade to aquire QB Mark Sanchez, may be as great a heist as the Patriots getting Randy Moss for a 4th round pick. Sanchez looked almost as good against Houston yesterday as he did against Penn State in last years' Rose Bowl. No more talk about Vince Wilfolk being the NFL's best NT. That title goes to Jets' behemouth, Kris Jenkins. He is the key to their defense. Rookie QB or no, the Jets appear to be better than initially advertised.

3.) Miami Dolphins:
    Brutal opening schedule may cast a pall on their season. Their next two oponents are the Colts in Miami, and the Chargers in San Diego. The 'Fins must win at least one of these two in order to have a shot at the playoffs

4.) Buffalo Bills:
    Have the WRs to give the Patriots trouble in Week One. But, seem to lack the OL, and the QB necessary to take advantage of the Patriots' suspect secondary. This is the year when head coach Dick Jauron finally gets the axe.

B.) AFC NORTH:

1.) Pittsburgh Steelers: Nothing I saw this week sways me that the Steelers have any serious competition in this overrated division. A relatively easy schedule combined with playing in a relatively weak division makes the Steelers an odds on choice to repeat as world champions.

2.) Baltimore Ravens:
    Barely beat the Chiefs at home. The game yesterday was much closer than the 38-24 final score. After losing their DC and LB Bart Scott to the Jets...I don't see their defense being as dominant as it was last year. On offense, with Mark Clayton as their #1 WR, I don't see many DCs losing sleep.

3.) Cincinnati Bengals:
    Yes, they blew the game yesterday. But, really, did they deserve to win? Scoring seven points at home against a revamped, in transition Broncos' defense hardly inspires confidence.

4.) Cleveland Browns:
    Will battle the Bengals for the all-important 3rd place spot in this overrated division.

C.) AFC SOUTH: 

1.) Tennessee Titans: Will be nip and tuck with the Colts for divisional supremacy. Acquitted themselves well in Pittsburgh, despite losing. Their running game should improve as the season wears on.

2.) Indianapolis Colts:
    Colts fans have to be a bit concerned when Peyton Manning passes for over 300 yards, the Indy offense controls the ball for 36 minutes...yet their team has to hold on for their lives to win, 14-12, against a punchless Jacksonville team

3.) Houston Texans:
    From what I saw Sunday, the AFC South will be a two team race, between Indy and Tennessee. Matt Schaub looked awful, as his happy feet were in plain view for all to see, in the Jets' easy 24-7 win

4.) Jacksonville Jaguars: 
    The same old story for the Jags...as they lost another skin tight game to their main tormentors, the Indianapolis Colts. David Gerrard is not the answer at QB...33 year old Torrey Holt is their best WR. 

D.) AFC WEST:

1.) San Diego Chargers: 
    Should be spotted a 6-0 record, on the basis of what should be 6 easy divisional wins. Great chance for the Bolts to seize home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Philip Rivers to Vincent Jackson could become nearly as lethal as Tom Brady to Randy Moss. Still, their defense will determine how far this team advances

2.) Denver Broncos:
    Gift win in Cincinnati could propell the Broncos to a decent start. Nontheless, any finish of 9-7 or better would seem to be quite a feat.

3.) Kansas City Chiefs: 
    Held their own with the Ravens in Baltimore. Could surprise.

4.) Oakland Raiders: Richard Seymour should have a big year in Oakland. Though their defense will be better, their offense may be the worst in the game. 

Thoughts?      

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

Re: What We Can Ascertain After Week One

good post

few thoughts.....

* Sanchez had one good game (out of one) so he is doing well thus far.... but its way to early to say that it was a major heist trading up to get him... he looks like he will be good but just one game

* I heard Nicks just sprained his knee... not sure the severity

* Rivers to Jackson is nice but cant touch Tom to Randy..... In there only full season together they broke records... hall of fame connection... Rivers and Jackson are in the top 10 of QB/WR combos but I wouldnt but them any higher than 5th on that list

* I was one that thought the Texans would win against the Jets and compete for the division this year but .... they looked really really bad

fun week 1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Where Indy is concerned.  Manning threw an int on a fade from the 4.  This is the 3rd time he's thrown an int on his first possession of the season.  Not much to get too riled about - BUT

Manning did throw 2 other very bad passes that should have been intercepted but were not.  So while Manning completed 73% of his passes, 3 were awful and the colts were lucky with 2 of them. 

Additionally, on another scoring drive, Addai fumbled at the 20 yd line. 

At a minimum, Indy could have expected 6 more points or 14 more at the top end. 

The good news was the D.  DB's defended passes very very well.  Although this could be attributed to an excellent pass rush against a line that started 2 rookie tackles.  Held MJD to just under 100 yds which for the colts is a plus. 

Indy's got work to do, particularly in their run game.  We shall see.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

The Eagles problem is that McNabb can't stay healthy.  The guy is always injured.  I thought they were fools to get rid of Feeley so soon.  Do great players who get injured a lot help or hurt their teams?  Yes they contribute when they play, but when they play is kind of a gamble that can't be predicted or counted on.  

Bob Sanders with the Colts is another example.  Without him, their D stinks.  With him, they are decent.  

You can't make plays from the sideline, no matter how good you are.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmartins16. Show bmartins16's posts

In Response to Re: What We Can Ascertain After Week One:
    [QUOTE]Where Indy is concerned.  Manning threw an int on a fade from the 4.  This is the 3rd time he's thrown an int on his first possession of the season.  Not much to get too riled about - BUT Manning did throw 2 other very bad passes that should have been intercepted but were not.  So while Manning completed 73% of his passes, 3 were awful and the colts were lucky with 2 of them.  Additionally, on another scoring drive, Addai fumbled at the 20 yd line.  At a minimum, Indy could have expected 6 more points or 14 more at the top end.  The good news was the D.  DB's defended passes very very well.  Although this could be attributed to an excellent pass rush against a line that started 2 rookie tackles.  Held MJD to just under 100 yds which for the colts is a plus.  Indy's got work to do, particularly in their run game.  We shall see.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Indy and their hick fanbase can S*ck it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

mcnabb does get the injury bug alot but that was a borderline cheap shot when he was already in the endzone

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

the packers offense was sluggish,but there defense is much improved.sanchez will have a better test in week 2.philly is explosive as long as mcnabb is healthy.the vikes are good with peterson,but as long as favre just manages the games,they could contend.the nfc west,im not sure yet,as the nfc south.the colts looked sluggish,but they are missing some guys,and the steelers havent played anyone yet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Hmmm - Indy's D definitely needs Sanders for to help their run, but they were missing a starting DT yesterday who will be back next week.  Should help.  On the other hand the pass D was very good.  The pass rush was strong at the edge and up the middle and the Jags continually tested our starting rookie DB who passed with flying colors defending multiple throws. 

Good outing for Indy's D.

BMartins - I don't know how you eat, but I don't recommend s*cking.  Didn't your mother teach you to chew?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

it wouldnt hurt your team to bring back marvin.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Moss - Lots of talk about this today, and I believe the answer is - NOT A CHANCE. 

Now - I am a fan which means I really know nothing, but I think the colts are good with what they have.  Likely they will bring someone off the practice squad. 

Marvin wouldn't play for league minimum. 

We'll see.  I could be wrong.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]Moss - Lots of talk about this today, and I believe the answer is - NOT A CHANCE.  Now - I am a fan which means I really know nothing, but I think the colts are good with what they have.  Likely they will bring someone off the practice squad.  Marvin wouldn't play for league minimum.  We'll see.  I could be wrong.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE] the media is talking it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

AFC East
    -Mark Sanchez may be the heir apparent to Brady in the AFC East.
    -The 2008 Dolphins were a fluke.

AFC North
    -Pitt has a bad offensive line/running game.
    -Joe Flacco is the real deal - at least against bad defenses.
    -Cincy and Cleveland still stink.

AFC South
    -Same old Colts, same old Jags, same olf Texans.
    -2008 Titans were NOT a fluke.

AFC West
    -KC's offense is not as bad as its defense.
    -Denver's defense is not half bad.

NFC East
    -Giants, Eagles and Cowboys all looked like playoff teams in week 1.
    -Washington looked like a team with a bunch of guys that get paid a lot of money.

NFC North
    -Jay Cutler really is an overrated a-hole.
    -Green Bay and Minnesota should be the front runners. And we will never hear the end of it.
    -Detroit has lost 25 straight games.

NFC South
    -Brees is good.
    -Delhomme is not.
    -Atlanta is solid.
    -Tampa Bay is flimsy.

NFC West
    -After a year hiatus, Seattle is back in charge of this crappy division.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvbrpNs_tFE

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]it wouldnt hurt your team to bring back marvin.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

It would. Harrison is done...and bringing him back eventually cause a  distraction, and hard feelings when he gets' released...again. The guy has no class. He should have done what Bruschi, Troy Brown, and Rodney Harrison did... retire with dignity.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Heres' more on the Indy performance from Bob Kravitz. Good ol' "Special K" is a lot easier on Manning than you were, Dogg. But, he agrees with you that the Indy defense was superb: http://www.indystar.com/article/20090914
    /SPORTS03/909140340/1058/SPORTS03/Bob+Kravitz+s+report+card

Still willing to trade Ron Borges straight up for Kravitz. I'd even throw in John "Crispy Creme" Tomase...LOL!!