What's going on with abraham and sanders? Your serious speculation..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Re: What's going on with abraham and sanders? Your serious speculation..

Erika Leigh Twitter this morning (read bottom up):

1. Erika Leigh @_ErikaLeigh

So that's it. I haven't heard anything about Sanders, whether Dumervil will come visit, any sort of crazy trade...none of that.

2. 1m Erika Leigh Erika Leigh @_ErikaLeigh

Source is still confident he will eventually sign here, and a friend of his told me "he wants to play for New England."

Expand
    3. 2m Erika Leigh Erika Leigh @_ErikaLeigh

Both were given offers by the team. Freeney is going on other visits. Some sort of snag in the Abraham deal, not sure what though.

Expand
    4. 4m Erika Leigh Erika Leigh @_ErikaLeigh

This is what I found out: Freeney and Abraham left town, but Abraham was still I'm Foxborough until late afternoon yesterday negotiating

Expand

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rumor has it Abraham was not satisfied with the Patriot's offer, he's electing instead to collect his social secirity benefits and medicare.

[/QUOTe

:)

with the humor

Joking aside...I have always loved this guy as a pass rusher (one of my favorites). This guy was born to rush the passer - Parcells knew what he was doing when he drafted this guy in the first round.

Abraham is long and he has these arms that just seem to bend and twist around the tackle that is  trying to block him. When he was younger he could really fly off the edge and kind of dip under the tackle...boom...he'd be right there on the quarterback in an instant. Amazingly he's still doing it to some degree - he still looks flexible enough, but of course that burst isn't what it used to be..still he's got a nice bag of tricks and some real flexibility. To me this is what is missing from a guy like Cunningham, he's got the burst, but no ability to bend around that corner (plus he's got nothing in terms of moves). Cunningham also doesn't have that height and ability to use his hands/arms like these great rushers do (although his arms do look long to me). I really think the reason why we saw Cunningham rushing from the inside last year was because he is better in a straight line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:

Erika Leigh Twitter this morning (read bottom up):

1. Erika Leigh @_ErikaLeigh

So that's it. I haven't heard anything about Sanders, whether Dumervil will come visit, any sort of crazy trade...none of that.

2. 1m Erika Leigh Erika Leigh @_ErikaLeigh

Source is still confident he will eventually sign here, and a friend of his told me "he wants to play for New England."

Expand
    3. 2m Erika Leigh Erika Leigh @_ErikaLeigh

Both were given offers by the team. Freeney is going on other visits. Some sort of snag in the Abraham deal, not sure what though.

Expand
    4. 4m Erika Leigh Erika Leigh @_ErikaLeigh

This is what I found out: Freeney and Abraham left town, but Abraham was still I'm Foxborough until late afternoon yesterday negotiating

Expand

thanks jj, you the man

:)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

In response to NoahJustin's comment:

I think their waiting for Pittsburg to make a signing or two so that would make it harder for them to match NE's offer. As was stated in earlier posts.

thanks. i did not read that.

meanwhile others could offer.

pats went out of way to say in public they had not made and offer.

why?

just speculating...but if you were playing Penny Poker would you tell your fellow players what cards you're holding? If the Pats are waiting for the Steelers to add more FAs and thus use up their cap money it's in the best interest of the Pats to not reveal what they plan to offer which would only help Pittsburg save enough capital to resign Sanders.

but if pitt knows its coming anyway, if they want him, they may try to sacrifice elswhere

Pittsburgh can't afford to tie up too much capital in anticipation of what the Pats MIGHT offer because they have too many holes to fill.  The longer they wait the more sparse the pickings.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

Pittsburgh can't afford to tie up too much capital in anticipation of what the Pats MIGHT offer because they have too many holes to fill.  The longer they wait the more sparse the pickings.

And as long as Sanders doesn't sign PIT's tender, the Pats can wait. I don't see any other team swooping in with another offer for him. Too many teams have salary cap issues, and WR isn't the highest priority for most teams, especially after the trades and signings that have happened. I think the Pats also are trying/tried to sign other options (like Jennings) who wouldn't cost a pick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Not so sure about the Sanders signing, he's another slot guy.  Do we need another slot guy?  What is the status on Edelman?  Is he going to be back or is that depending on if Sanders is signed or not?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Lets take a few things on faith, and track record.  It may clarify some things..

1.  The patriots are not stupid.

2. The patriots never overpay.

3. The patriots don't hang on to people too long, they would rather dump them too early.

4. The patriots would not ransom the future in hope of winning next year.  

5. The patriots don't really give a rats behind what the press says about them.

Now, let's construct our team.  Welker is looking for big money.  Team thinks they have plenty up the middle and short, and lock up the two TEs long term.  Is Welker now crucial?  No.  Nice to have?  Yes, but better to just have someone decent, and count on TWO guys being healthy at the same time to supply you with short/intermediate routes and blocking.  Amendola can also stretch the field, and could be in place 5 years, along with the two TE's and maybe Hoomanaumanui.  It makes more sense to let Welker go if the money is too much.  They just paid him 9 mill, but he apparently wants a bit more than you want to pay him.  Remember, he helped get you to the SB twice, but you lost, and lost a few playoff games where passes went clang clang clang off his hands.  He's great, but Troy Brown was CLUTCH.  So, you try a contract, he gets offended, you move on, he moves on.  Good enough.

NOW you look at your glaring weakness.  No dangerous outside receivers.  Lloyd's legendary twisting catches and athleticism didn't really appear much last year, and he doesn't scare anyone deep.  Good to have, but not for a bunch of money.  Let him walk and see if he comes back.  Make a play for Jennings.  Get Donald Jones from the Bills.  Amendola is a slot, but does have speed and can get behind guys.  Sanders is a proven commodity who would be worth a 3rd round pick in a deep draft.  If they get him, great.  If not, take the fastest of what is left.  Lets say you get him.  You now can line up any combination of Sanders, Jones, Gronk, Hern, and Amendola.  Now you need backups.  Edelman?  Probably. Lloyd again?  Most likely.  Draft a big wideout or two, and you now have the ability to use the ENTIRE field.  For years to come.  It makes perfect sense, and will eliminate the debacle that unfolded in the Ravens game.  And before that.  I liked Wes, but he was playing the press, and it had to get resolved.  So, now you addressed your offensive issues for the immediate and short term future, and you can make a good 5 year run to end Tom Brady's time with the team.  

Makes sense to me.