What's up with Greg Bedard?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

What's up with Greg Bedard?

Did it really take him until after week 8 to figure this all out? I hope they find some answers this bye week and players get healthy because the Panthers will be a tough game and my gosh the Denver Brocos with Welkie is going to be a bit of a test.  Can we hanfg 40+ on the Broncos to be able to stay in the game? 

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/01/nfl-week-9-greg-bedard-weekend-notes/

Everyone, especially the rabid fans in New England, wants to know what’s wrong with the Patriots’ offense. After watching film this week, here’s my quick synopsis: they stink.

All of them.

It’s not just the receivers. It’s not just the pass or run blocking. It’s not just Tom Brady’s inaccuracy. It’s a combination of everything. Basically, there isn’t one thing they do well. It looks like the Patriots coaches think that as well, because the game plan against the Dolphins last Sunday was bare bones. The Pats won, 27-17, but there wasn’t a whole lot of motion or variety. They stuck to a few basic runs, a handful of different pass concepts.

The Patriots looked like they were saying, “We aren’t doing anything well at this point, so let’s dial it back and start from the basics.” The problem is, they couldn’t even execute that game plan. The first half was one of the worst performances I’ve seen in some time from the Patriots’ offensive line, both run and pass. Left guard Logan Mankins, normally the stalwart, struggled mightily in all phases of the game. He might be toughing out some sort of lower body injury. That said, the run blocking was much cleaner in the fourth quarter, so that may be something to build off of. Although I have no clue why the Patriots aren’t playing Stevan Ridley more. He’s by far their best running back. It’s not even close.

As for Brady, he’s certainly part of the problem—but not a huge part. Yes, he has missed throws he normally makes and his ball placement has been shoddy. The hand injury he’s dealing with has probably caused some of that. What I also see is that Brady, in years prior, made his living down the middle of the field to Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowsi and Aaron Hernandez. With Danny Amendola not 100%, and Gronkowski shaking the rust off, Brady has lacked those kinds of targets. He’s had to rely more on throws to the boundary; those aren’t his strong suit, and they’re a lower percentage pass in general. But the bottom line is, the Patriots’ offense is far from a lost cause (even if swapping injured right tackle Sebastian Vollmer for Marcus Cannon is a huge step down). They’ve had so much flux in personnel, they are obviously discombobulated. If they get some stability there, the Patriots can regain some of their timing coming out of a bye in Week 10.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Re: What's up with Greg Bedard?

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is no way he should be saying what he's saying. It's irresponsible. Amendola, Dobson, Edelman, Collie, Thompkins, etc, do not "stink" at all.

[/QUOTE]

Um, they do.  Why can't you just admit it?  You look silly going along with thinking they are talented.  We have two injury prone players who can't stay on the field, a second hand WR and two rooks who are only making a few plays due to the sure volume of passes they are thrown.  Kind of like the blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while type thing.

Greg tells it like it is, you have a hard time accepting the truths, that's why you break out in the name calling. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Bustchise, Bedard is anti-BB like you.  You should know what is up with Bedard.

I warned about Bedard's anti-BB work while he was here.  If anyone stinks, it's his former team, the Dolphins and Mike Wallace at 13 million per. That's who stinks.  

The person who has stunk, and who did not have a hand injury before his first throw vs the Dolphins for a stare down INT to Gronk, is Brady.   Plain and simple. I don't want to see wide open targets missed as he throws into triple coverages. That's not what a good QB does and it's been happening all year.

Brady must drop this snobby QB attitude and be a good QB.  This Circle of Trust crap he gives off is beyond annoying at this point. It has nothing to do with perceived talent level of any of the WRs.   This is becoming ridiculous. No one says anything after the Atlanta and NOs when Brady plays reasonably well and the WRs play well.  Its when Brady sucks that the media starts to turn to the anti-BB GM rhetoric, excusing Brady, or having these built in "yeah but" lines like Brady's shoulder or hand.  Please. His shoulder and hand were fine for the first 7 games.

I remember in 2011, Bedard kept making excuses for Brady then too. This was around the time Brady's int rate was skyrocketing to the highest of his career. Bedard then started with the excuse talk about Brady's shoulder acting up and all this crap.  

This was when Brady was ignoring wide open Ochocincos and Branch, staring down Welker and Gronk almost exclusively, tossing picks.

There is no way he should be saying what he's saying. It's irresponsible. Amendola, Dobson, Edelman, Collie, Thompkins, etc, do not "stink" at all. I heard the audio of his commentary and turned it off.   He's a joke. He's a fat load loser who has been anti-BB now for years.

Yessss!   Everyone hates BB, including the NFL statisticians who rate the receivers and O-line, , the run D and the pass D, in the bottom third in the league.

The 3rd down stats on both O and D are obviously built to bash BB.

Did they suddenly change the criteria this year because the Pats O topped the league last year?

Must have.  There can be no other explanation.

It's all a conspiracy to defame the Bestest GM ever.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

I would say that is correct, Pissdispenser.

2010 - BB with a myriad of personnel moves that throws the league on its head. Nice draft, trades, primadonnas sent packing, etc.  14-2, coach of the year, should have been GM of the year.

That is a fact.  

2011 - Lockout, patchwork D on the back end, SB appearance.  It would have been the greatest coaching job and GM work under those circumstances in the cap era. D held to 13 points and Brady tossed an INT in the 4th and then still screwed up with Welkie. That's not on BB.  All we heard about alll year was how bad the D was, while the media ignored the FAR WORSE GB Packers defense. That's a fact.  NE's D led the AFC in turnovers created. They were not as poor as the media claimed.

2012 - BB fleeces TB acquiring Talib, now drafting Buchanan on the back end, and still, we have the media ignoring the balance and quality of this team. Fact.

If any other SB contending team lost one of the elite DTs and LB, they'd crumble.  Look at Chicago's D. Urlacher retires, Melton ACL, done for the year.

WAKE UP. WAKE UP.

If our biggest problem and his temper tantrums scouring for excuses, I'd say we're in pretty good shape.

What were the awesome trades in 2010?  FACT

They got rid of Moss but didn't bother to replace him for 3 years and did it all in one year.  Fact!  (well that is, if you consider LLoyd or 85 a solution)

All teams endured the lockout and only one D ranked 31st.  If it weren't for Stafford burning GB in one game, 600+ yards+ they would have been dead last.   As it turned out the Pats were a few yards worse.  Fact!

2012, Talib was a good pick-up, but what happened when he went down?  Same crappy D.  FACT!

Where were all these picks in the SB?  Non existent as the 3 & outs.  ZERO!  Fact

No team has ever won a SB with a D that sports a 92.7 DPR. in fact I don't think one has ever made it to the SB.  Clear case of the weakness hurting the strength.

The D's stats have DROPPED SIGNIFICANTLY, since the loss of Fork and Mayo, so I'm not sure what your point is.  The loss to the JEST was due to them exploiting that 52 TIMES!  FACT!

Have you ever considered writing fiction for a living?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

[QUOTE]

I would say that is correct, Pissdispenser.

2010 - BB with a myriad of personnel moves that throws the league on its head. Nice draft, trades, primadonnas sent packing, etc.  14-2, coach of the year, should have been GM of the year.

That is a fact.  

2011 - Lockout, patchwork D on the back end, SB appearance.  It would have been the greatest coaching job and GM work under those circumstances in the cap era. D held to 13 points and Brady tossed an INT in the 4th and then still screwed up with Welkie. That's not on BB.  All we heard about alll year was how bad the D was, while the media ignored the FAR WORSE GB Packers defense. That's a fact.  NE's D led the AFC in turnovers created. They were not as poor as the media claimed.

2012 - BB fleeces TB acquiring Talib, now drafting Buchanan on the back end, and still, we have the media ignoring the balance and quality of this team. Fact.

If any other SB contending team lost one of the elite DTs and LB, they'd crumble.  Look at Chicago's D. Urlacher retires, Melton ACL, done for the year.

WAKE UP. WAKE UP.

If our biggest problem and his temper tantrums scouring for excuses, I'd say we're in pretty good shape.

[/QUOTE]

And no Super Bowls to show for it during those years.  How long has it been since we got to take home the trophey?  hip hip hurray, we have a great coach, HOF QB and winning seasons to show for it all but no SB trophies since 2004.  What a waste of a HOF QB, wouldn't you say?  I would trade a few bad season for a SB trophy, wouldnn't you?  Goes to show Billy doesn't know how to build a Super Bowl winning team on his own.  He needs to bring some help in for next season because while we will have another food record this year, still won't have a SB trophy.

WAKE UP HARVEY!!

You defending BB and his faults shows just how much you don't know.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I hope they "stink" like this all the way to 12-4 and a first round bye and a long playoff run. I don't care what any dopey writer who probably never pulled on a chin strap says about them. 6-2 says they're doing something right.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hope they "stink" like this all the way to 12-4 and a first round bye and a long playoff run. I don't care what any dopey writer who probably never pulled on a chin strap says about them. 6-2 says they're doing something right.

[/QUOTE]

+1/ Trolls like Rico will never understand that though. They believe everything they hear and read.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1/ Trolls like Rico will never understand that though. They believe everything they hear and read.

[/QUOTE]

Um...Rico is a Jets fan! Everything he says is calculated to get under a Pats fan's skin!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

QB=JAGUAR. WR=FORD

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bustchise, Bedard is anti-BB like you.  You should know what is up with Bedard.

I warned about Bedard's anti-BB work while he was here.  If anyone stinks, it's his former team, the Dolphins and Mike Wallace at 13 million per. That's who stinks.  

The person who has stunk, and who did not have a hand injury before his first throw vs the Dolphins for a stare down INT to Gronk, is Brady.   Plain and simple. I don't want to see wide open targets missed as he throws into triple coverages. That's not what a good QB does and it's been happening all year.

Brady must drop this snobby QB attitude and be a good QB.  This Circle of Trust crap he gives off is beyond annoying at this point. It has nothing to do with perceived talent level of any of the WRs.   This is becoming ridiculous. No one says anything after the Atlanta and NOs when Brady plays reasonably well and the WRs play well.  Its when Brady sucks that the media starts to turn to the anti-BB GM rhetoric, excusing Brady, or having these built in "yeah but" lines like Brady's shoulder or hand.  Please. His shoulder and hand were fine for the first 7 games.

I remember in 2011, Bedard kept making excuses for Brady then too. This was around the time Brady's int rate was skyrocketing to the highest of his career. Bedard then started with the excuse talk about Brady's shoulder acting up and all this crap.  

This was when Brady was ignoring wide open Ochocincos and Branch, staring down Welker and Gronk almost exclusively, tossing picks.

There is no way he should be saying what he's saying. It's irresponsible. Amendola, Dobson, Edelman, Collie, Thompkins, etc, do not "stink" at all. I heard the audio of his commentary and turned it off.   He's a joke. He's a fat load loser who has been anti-BB now for years.

[/QUOTE]

Yessss!   Everyone hates BB, including the NFL statisticians who rate the receivers and O-line, , the run D and the pass D, in the bottom third in the league.

The 3rd down stats on both O and D are obviously built to bash BB.

Did they suddenly change the criteria this year because the Pats O topped the league last year?

Must have.  There can be no other explanation.

It's all a conspiracy to defame the Bestest GM ever.

[/QUOTE]

I think this is just Russ talking to himself pezz...notice how "uncle Rico" used the name"Welkie"? Too obvious.. Rusty is slipping

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Bustchise, Bedard is anti-BB like you.  You should know what is up with Bedard."

He also studies a lot more film on the Pats than you do and a lot more closely. 

When he says that the blame for the Pats offense lies with the Oline, receivers, AND Brady that has nothing to do with Belichick whatsoever - well, except that it messes up your anti-Brady trolling by raising questions about how we wound up with a bunch of gimps and rooks at the receiver position. 

But nonetheless it's a valid position on the offensive difficulties, perhaps not the only one, but it has come from much deeper film study than you or I have time for. (At least I hope you don't have that kind of time, you claim to be a hot shot at work so I would assume he watches much more film than you). 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Look, you may not like what he writes, but Bedard is a great student of the game, watches and understands tape, and can explain what he sees quite easy to understand. He is paid to write his opinion, and after watching a ton of football, makes his opinion known....will be on the leading edge of writing about football for many, many years

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Look, you may not like what he writes, but Bedard is a great student of the game, watches and understands tape, and can explain what he sees quite easy to understand. He is paid to write his opinion, and after watching a ton of football, makes his opinion known....will be on the leading edge of writing about football for many, many years

[/QUOTE]

There's that...and the fact he DOESN'T work for ESPN,

THEREFOR, I likes him a lot!!

[/QUOTE]

I think once you start to understand ESPN as an entertainment venue and not a news venue, you would have a better understanding. Especially if you are not an "insider"....I can't say enough about "insider" content. No one has more info and "news" than what you get as an "insider". ESPN isn't simply turning on the TV or going to the site....their is so much content available, in my biased opinion I can't understand the criticism? Look at and devour the talent that appeals to your tastes, and avoid the ones that do not. If football is your thing, how can anyone say that Reiss, Cimini, Walker, Schefter, Clayton are not the most plugged in group with the best and most up to date info? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I'm sure guys like Reiss, Schefter, et al. are plugged in, and they know the comings and goings of personnel and such as well as anybody. If you're dying to know who's getting fired, traded or released before the rest of the world, then go ahead and pay to be an insider. More power to you. That stuff doesn't interest me at all, I'll wait and get it free with the rest of the schmucks.  

But those guys don't know any more about football than the average poster on this board. In fact there are some guys on here that know a whole lot more.

I respect the knowledge of the Schlereths and Bruschis and so on, the guys who played and/or coached in the NFL, but what am I going to learn about football from Adam Schefter or some beat writer? They're sports gossip columnists, that's all. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm sure guys like Reiss, Schefter, et al. are plugged in, and they know the comings and goings of personnel and such as well as anybody. If you're dying to know who's getting fired, traded or released before the rest of the world, then go ahead and pay to be an insider. More power to you. That stuff doesn't interest me at all, I'll wait and get it free with the rest of the schmucks.  

But those guys don't know any more about football than the average poster on this board. In fact there are some guys on here that know a whole lot more.

I respect the knowledge of the Schlereths and Bruschis and so on, the guys who played and/or coached in the NFL, but what am I going to learn about football from Adam Schefter or some beat writer? They're sports gossip columnists, that's all. 

[/QUOTE]

But that's my point Muzzy. Don't read them or watch them, and follow Bruschi, CC, Herm  or whomever suits your taste. There is so much more available than rumors and rumblings

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But that's my point Muzzy. Don't read them or watch them, and follow Bruschi, CC, Herm  or whomever suits your taste. There is so much more available than rumors and rumblings

[/QUOTE]

There's no reason a journalist who studies up and asks good questions can't learn more about football than the average person who hasn't done the same.  And not every ex-player (or even ex-coach) is an expert about everything that happens on the field, especially after they've been out of the game for a while.  

The bias against ESPN strikes me as sort of juvenile and regressed.  But hey, talking about sports is kind of juvenile and regressed anyway . . . that's why it's so much fun!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There's no reason a journalist who studies up and asks good questions can't learn more about football than the average person who hasn't done the same.  And not every ex-player (or even ex-coach) is an expert about everything that happens on the field, especially after they've been out of the game for a while.  

The bias against ESPN strikes me as sort of juvenile and regressed.  But hey, talking about sports is kind of juvenile and regressed anyway . . . that's why it's so much fun!

[/QUOTE]

Very,very true. Case in point, Bedard. He studies and studies, and has a nice way of putting what he sees into words....

on the flip side, ex players are the ones who are friends with the staff and players, and the ex players are the ones who know the rumors and rumblings. There's 30-40 of them around every week, so it's the media reporting on the X's and O's and the ex plays speculating on injuries and what not

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True, they could do all that studying like Reiss seems to do, but the vast majority don't.

That's not Adam Schefter's job, for example. Not picking on Schefter, he seems like a decent, hard working guy, but he's just passing on info. He's going to report what he heard from some front office guy about what's happening with some player. There's obviously a market for what he's selling, especially with gamblers and fantasy players, and he's as good as anybody at it.  

80% of sites like ESPN are that sort of stuff, because it sells. But I'm not learning much about football by reading or watching someone like Schefter.