whats with the QB shuffleing?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

whats with the QB shuffleing?

I am really surprised with the letting go of gutierrez,and him being replaced by andrews.gutierrez almost beat out cassel last year. BB must be doing everything he can for o-connell to secure the no.2 spot.but what good is that if he has no competition for it,and the pats only have so so QB,s if brady was to get injured again.there has to be better vets out there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Re: whats with the QB shuffleing?

I don't know if Guts almost beat out Cassel, seems like if that were so they would have put O'Connell on the practice squad instead. Of course, most of us here would have voted for either Lemon or Walter to replace Cassel as the #2 last August! I'm wondering if they are bringing these guys in to help O'Connell, or because they don't think he's ready and they want someone with a little experience. It might also be to motivate O'Connell in camp by making him think his job is in jeopardy. It's hard to tell just what BB is thinking, especially this early in camp. Maybe they'll all be gone by September, and he will sign an older veteran (possibly someone cut at the final trimdown). But since he is now looking at veteran QBs, whereas he hasn't the last two years, I'd say he must have had a lot more confidence in Cassel than we did last year! Evidently Guts couldn't get the system down, as he seemed to play as well or better than Cassel last preseason. It is a head scratcher, but at least they didn't try to sign Vick like a lot of people were thinking!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

with the back-ups we have now,they all combine for 9 starts,all by andrews.not very encouraging.im still thinking why not griese?he isnt spectacular,but i would think he far passes 9 career starts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostOfLombardi. Show GhostOfLombardi's posts

In Response to Re: whats with the QB shuffleing?:

Recall that Guttierez wasn't placed on the PS--he was outright released, and only re-signed after Brady went down.  I liked the guy, but there was apparently something about his development that the coaching staff wasn't satisfied with. 

[QUOTE]I don't know if Guts almost beat out Cassel, seems like if that were so they would have put O'Connell on the practice squad instead. Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

Just shows your "analysis" of qbs are WRONG!  I bet it changes again before the season ends...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antleite. Show antleite's posts

BB is obviously not satisfied with what he is seeing from the back ups. I expect to see a lot more shifting of players at that position before the season starts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostOfLombardi. Show GhostOfLombardi's posts

michaelvick <cough />

[QUOTE]Just shows your "analysis" of qbs are WRONG!  I bet it changes again before the season ends...
    Posted by N2thaIzzo[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: whats with the QB shuffling?

Here's what dirt I can dig up on the new fourth stringer QB, Walter:

"The Raiders have since basically buried Walter like the dirty family secret and tried like hell to forget about him. Walter didn't help himself by pouting and complaining and lashing out at every opportunity."

"This has been a fractured relationship for some time, and even people who don't know the parties involved feel vindicated for both sides."

"The Raiders didn't treat Andrew Walter very well, and now they've given him his wish and released him. Walter didn't do himself any favours by repeatedly skipping workouts, practices, OTAs, and others in protest of the way he'd been treated."

"Other teams may frown upon that lack of passion and dedication. Walter would have a much better chance of landing a job now if he'd put his head down, worked hard, and moved on. He didn't, and it may cost him ultimately."

Hmm, sounds like another Randy Moss from Oakland.  Of course, one of these days BB is going to pick up an actual crybaby, who will be dumped by the Patriots within 10 days of course, but it doesn't hurt to pick through the junk sometimes as long as it's cheap or free junk.  You never know what you might find.

"Walter was an unfortunate casualty of the Art Shell-Tom Walsh "Bed & Breakfast" experience, an outdated coaching theory that basically said run as far back from center as you can, wait for your receivers, and throw it as far as you can."

"Amazingly, it didn't work, and Walter was sacked repeatedly. A porous offensive line and a 7-10-15-step drop passing game will do that to an immobile quarterback."

Walter's first stop is the Tom Brady school of dancing in the pocket.  Also, call a one step drop and then toss the pig out to a wide receiver bubble screen.  The WR makes six yards or so, and then the coach's demeanor is, well, better than otherwise.

"This led to a shattering of his psyche, which became obvious in his demeanour and body language. He exhibited a distinct lack of confidence, which led to poor decisions, which led to poor play and bitterness, which led to the bench."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/227601-raiders-finally-euthanize-andrew-walter

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know if Guts almost beat out Cassel, seems like if that were so they would have put O'Connell on the practice squad instead. Of course, most of us here would have voted for either Lemon or Walter to replace Cassel as the #2 last August! I'm wondering if they are bringing these guys in to help O'Connell, or because they don't think he's ready and they want someone with a little experience. It might also be to motivate O'Connell in camp by making him think his job is in jeopardy. It's hard to tell just what BB is thinking, especially this early in camp. Maybe they'll all be gone by September, and he will sign an older veteran (possibly someone cut at the final trimdown). But since he is now looking at veteran QBs, whereas he hasn't the last two years, I'd say he must have had a lot more confidence in Cassel than we did last year! Evidently Guts couldn't get the system down, as he seemed to play as well or better than Cassel last preseason. It is a head scratcher, but at least they didn't try to sign Vick like a lot of people were thinking!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Bub, a 3rd rd QB will never ever, not even once make it to the practice squad.  That is why O'Connell would never be put there.  He wouldnt clear waivers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

O'Connell's not too bad yet.  Remember that they're all a bit rusty with their accuracy even now.  At worst, O'Connell drops back to the #3 spot. 

Why not have O'Connell run the wildcat?  He's greased lightning compared to Brady.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]O'Connell's not too bad yet.  Remember that they're all a bit rusty with their accuracy even now.  At worst, O'Connell drops back to the #3 spot.  Why not have O'Connell run the wildcat?  He's greased lightning compared to Brady.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE] I could see the wildcat being used from julian edelman the rookie QB/WR.
    being that its andrews,i think o-connell has a shot at no.2,there isnt anyone else to challange it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Should we read anything into O'Connell getting reduced reps the past few practices?  Either BB is really wanting to evaluate the 3rd QB options, or O'Connell is slipping.  I guess we won't know right now.  I think it's likely that BB isn't satisfied with what we have as a 3rd QB option.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Pretty simple logic here,Walter has started and competed in the regular season and he meets the heigth requirements that BB likes.He would never play Vick at Qb he isn't tall enough to be a pocket passer,so it came down to A lemon,a drunk or a jag!The JAG won.They'll let him learn the position from the practice field and as a scout QB he has the experience to play multiple types of offense! As for the question do they sign Carter?If they do in my opinion they are planning on playing more 4-3 than 3-4.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I think Bill is trying to motivate the young guy O'Connell by showing him that nothing will be given to him, maybe he has grown complacent now that Cassell is gone and he won the backup position last season. 

That being said, Walter's is worth another look at, the Raiders are the worst franchise any QB could possibly go to.  He was a third round QB, the PAC10's all time touchdown leader, is 6'5" and a big guy with a big arm.  You can't judge his pro stats at all because some good college teams would beat the Raiders.  As long as he isn't shell shocked from getting his rear kicked with the silver and black's horrid O-Line than he might be a great pickup.

I really hope nobody picks up Guts because I think he'll be back before camp is over if Walter's is damaged goods....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Gutz did not beat out Cassel, it didnt happen so you must be remembering things wrong. We all thought he was better then Cassel and though BB was crazy for not cutting Cassel and then Cassel took us to an 11-5 record and got us a 2nd round pick in a trade. Gutz was only on the team cause Brady went down. The reason Cassel looked like c rap last year and Gutz looked good was because Cassel was starting the game against teh starter and 2nd string players and Gutz was playing against the 3rd and 4th stringers. Gutz cant even throw the long ball well, I have read teh reports on him and he puts too much air on his throws. He lofts it up there and throws a floater and those are the kinds of throws that get picked off. He was nothing more then a 3rd stringer and Walter is better then that or maybe not but he is better then Gutz. Walter has a Drew Bledsoe like arm and he can bomb it. If he had been drafted by the Pats instead of the Raiders who knows how good he would be. He problem has always been he played for a bad team with bad coaching and no one verey brought him along or helped him reach his peek. In NE Walter has legit shot at re launching his career and i am sure he will take full advangige of that.