What've Randy & Wes got up their sleeves with Tom Brady back at the wheel?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark. Show noahsark's posts

What've Randy & Wes got up their sleeves with Tom Brady back at the wheel?

I haven't seen too much written on Randy Moss with Cassel in the place of Tom. Personally I saw a huge change other than simply production & output wise. It seems to me that Randy didn't seem to play with the same fire as he did in 2007 with Tom. As hard as he tried to adjust to the loss of Brady and through the games it took for Casell to find some of his own timing, it just didn't really happen. The chemistry he found with Tom was extraordinary and will seldom be repeated, but I'm hoping on all hope to witness it again this year. To me it was poetry in motion.

I suppose it's Human Nature that playing with Cassel after Tom's injury just didn't bring out his optimal effort or performance. It looked like he was almost suffering from the loss of a good friend...yes, an almost palpable sense of loss and he himself looked lost at times. Often he missed passes he would normally make with Tom. When he tried to motivate teammates in his surroundings, it came off in a more mechanical way than in 07. Many of his early comments on Matt's performance were reserved praise judgements with a "wait and see" slant. Probably deliverd so as not to inflate Matts ego too much, but I always had the feeling that he was comparing him to Tom anyway.

Wes, on the other hand, seemed less emotionally involved or affected by the QB change. His adjustments to Cassel were flawless and he still seemed to play with slightly more commitment and a more natural enthusiasm than Randy. Maybe his job is slightly easier because it was easier for Matt to connect with all the short stuff, but I think the relationship between Wes and Tom is a lot different.

Love to hear your opinions on this and even more, what you think will happen when the 3 of them are united this year. Any projections..thoughts???

My prediction with a healthy Tom:

Randy Moss - 103 cathes, 19 TDs, 1,450 yds
    Wes Welker - 123 cathes, 11 TDs, 1,280 yds

I'm figuring that Galloway/Lewis & the TE and running back depth will free up Randy & Wes more than in 2007. Go pats!!!

Thanks,
    Neil

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: What've Randy & Wes got up their sleeves with Tom Brady back at the wheel?

Good post and Moss is a human, how long did it take us get over Brady not been behind center?  Moss like everyone else thought SB with Tom there.  It was a shock to Tom out. 

I was dissapointed when Moss didn't come back eventually but that's last year.  I think those numbers are solid and attainable.  With the additions to the offensive side of the ball we can say this group is better than 2007.  It will be a very good year and a SB is within the abilities of this group.

If we have one or two rookies contribute to this receiving core it will be a record breaking year.  We have some real monster speed more than in 2007.  Can't wait.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Great observation Dr. Phil.  You go rather deep to hide your insults. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- " . . .  yes, an almost palpable sense of loss . . . " --

The last thing I expected to be reading today was a Harlequin Romance, but that's what I love about this place. You just never know what's coming next.
    I don't know that it's so much about developing "chemistry" with Brady as it is that Brady is simply the best quarterback in the league. Cassel's struggles to get the ball deep were well documented and deep is where Randy lives. The positive I took from last season, despite Randy's apparent lack of focus at times, was that we didn't hear a lot from Randy. A precipitous drop in numbers (albeit expected with a backup quarterback) was the kind of thing that might have set a younger Randy off. I live among the Vikings rube, and as soon as Brady went down last year, I kept hearing that Moss would be primed for a tantrum. Well, that didn't happen and I think one of the tradeoffs the Pats get as Randy slows a little with age is that he appears to have reached a certain maturity (better late than never). In any case, if Brady returns intact and with a certain amount of straight-line speed on the other side (assuming Galloway can remain upright for any length of time), Randy should get a number of balls he can live with and I expect it will be business as usual on the right side.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Going long to Moss is a riskier pass and last year's offense was all about not giving Cassel a chance to turn the ball over. The quick short to Welker was the safe play. Brady has a better more accurate arm so expect the long game to return.

Personally I think we were lucky not to get Welker killed last season. He was put in a vulnerable position far to many times.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Up their sleeves, huh?  Randy, Wes and Tom are all old-timers, and will be glad to cook up a number of gimmick plays.  Expect the other team to bite hard.  Quick snaps?  No problem.  Flea-flickers, Moss throws a pass to Wes, the old Troy Brown takes his time getting off the field play,...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

And another point that no one wants to make is that Moss can be quite the tempermental diva.  Remember how marginally motivated he was in Oakland?  (Who can blame him?)  When he came to NE, the opportunity to be part of something prolific again awakened his competitive spirit.  And with Brady throwing to him, he became a motivated, enthusiastic, dominant player like he was in Minnesota.  Last year, I think he became blase about the game again after Cassell missed him on plays Brady would have made.  What to expect this year?  I think he'll have a resurgence, but it'll be interesting to see what happens if Brady struggles to come back from his major knee surgery - he might not be the same old Tom Terrific for a while...