When is it time to cash in?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

When is it time to cash in?

What's the point of trading down for future picks if we won't use them when the time is right?  As it stands right now, we have more picks than we need and I really don't see the point of having more picks than we need again next year.  We need to cash in a few picks and move up and today is the day.  We don't have the room to use all of the picks and should try to get into the top 10 to get great quallity.

I think another trade with KC is possible if Curry is there.  He may be more expensive but he's the best player coming out this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: When is it time to cash in?

11 picks today sounds fine to me. Our team has a good 8 or 9 spots on the team that a rookie could take. Another couple of picks would do well either put on a reserve list or in case of a key player making it to a reserve list.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

thats the key,more expensive.it would be nice to see a big time draftee land here,but at the sametime if they were to trade two of there 2nd rd picks,and turn them into 1st,s it would give them three 1st rd picks next year.which would be sweet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

You think BB and Pioli has an "understanding"? Maybe they give him their 23 and KC's 34 back to get Curry? He told Detroit he'd take less to be #1, not getting that would he lower his demands to go to Foxboro and be coached by BB? They'd probably have to kick in a lower round pick to boot. The question would be if BB thinks highly enough of this kid to use a top 5 pick (and money). I think the cap space (or lack of it) will prevent moving up tonight. Maybe in 2010 (if the scouts have any prospects who would be ready to come out), when there may be more room. And if they grabbed a first rounder (or two) for next year, it may be an uncapped year. But I get the logic. They could keep "banking" picks, but eventually you need to use them or trade them. One thing is for certain, whatever they do will most likely not be what most of us think it will be. Only a few more hours and we'll know for sure! I gotta go to the dump now so I can get the munchies ready before settling in. We'll finally be able to discuss who we do have rather than who we might have.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]What's the point of trading down for future picks if we won't use them when the time is right?  As it stands right now, we have more picks than we need and I really don't see the point of having more picks than we need again next year.  We need to cash in a few picks and move up and today is the day.  We don't have the room to use all of the picks and should try to get into the top 10 to get great quallity. I think another trade with KC is possible if Curry is there.  He may be more expensive but he's the best player coming out this year.
    Posted by PatsFanGermany[/QUOTE]
    That's because we have a lot of contracts coming up next year and the year after.  We will be needing those picks.  We will be loosing players and they will have to be replaced. 
    KC is rebuilding and they will want to keep their best players.  You don't get rid of a young top tier player so you can grab a bunch of second tier type players. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

What this draft lacks in blue-chip potential it balances with quality depth. If getting younger is the goal (and it should be) now is the time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

[QUOTE]You think BB and Pioli has an "understanding"? Maybe they give him their 23 and KC's 34 back to get Curry? He told Detroit he'd take less to be #1, not getting that would he lower his demands to go to Foxboro and be coached by BB? They'd probably have to kick in a lower round pick to boot. The question would be if BB thinks highly enough of this kid to use a top 5 pick (and money). I think the cap space (or lack of it) will prevent moving up tonight. Maybe in 2010 (if the scouts have any prospects who would be ready to come out), when there may be more room. And if they grabbed a first rounder (or two) for next year, it may be an uncapped year. But I get the logic. They could keep "banking" picks, but eventually you need to use them or trade them. One thing is for certain, whatever they do will most likely not be what most of us think it will be. Only a few more hours and we'll know for sure! I gotta go to the dump now so I can get the munchies ready before settling in. We'll finally be able to discuss who we do have rather than who we might have.
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

I think "understanding" is a great word for the situation.  If we traded for the 3rd overall a couple of months back, teams would be trying to leapfrog us to get to Curry.  If he's available at 3, maybe the trigger will be pulled. 

Just a thought.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]What's the point of trading down for future picks if we won't use them when the time is right?  As it stands right now, we have more picks than we need and I really don't see the point of having more picks than we need again next year.  We need to cash in a few picks and move up and today is the day.  We don't have the room to use all of the picks and should try to get into the top 10 to get great quallity. I think another trade with KC is possible if Curry is there.  He may be more expensive but he's the best player coming out this year.
    Posted by PatsFanGermany[/QUOTE]

The idea is you gradually improve your draft position year by year.  In 2006 we used our earlier first on Merriweather and traded our later one for a 2007 first, which turned into Mayo.  If we did that every year it would be great - trade our 32 for a top 15 the next year.   Do the same thing with 2nds and 3rds and the dynasty lasts forever. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

[QUOTE]What this draft lacks in blue-chip potential it balances with quality depth. If getting younger is the goal (and it should be) now is the time.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

I think the problem is that our biggest area of need (LB) is also our deepest area when it comes to young talent.  There are alot of young players in our LB corps that haven't either been given the opportunity to shine or haven't earned it. 

I guess if we do use most of our picks, they will be used in other areas.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Naw the possibility is dead as far as moving up is concerned.This morning it was all he rage,Smoke ,Smoke ,Smoke those Cigarettes!!! God knows BB is having his fun.