Where you at Spikes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Where you at Spikes?

Patriots MLB Brandon Spikes is skipping OTAs in favor of working on his athleticism individually.

Spikes has been training at Bommarito Performance Systems in Florida, working on his agility and overall athleticism. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport indicates Spikes wants to be viewed as a three-down linebacker heading into a contract year. There have been questions about his athleticism since entering the league, but Spikes' instincts have enabled him to be a stud against the run. Any added quickness should only boost his game.

Well at least he's trying to get better....
    Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Where you at Spikes?

we shall see how his offseason training translates into coverage. Until proven otherwise he is still a liability in coverage.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I would like to see him crack the starting lineup first. You know BB will relegate him to 2nd string at the beginning of training camp for missing OTA's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Can't teach speed, wouldn't surprise m to see the Pats play Collins at WOLB, Mayo MLB and Hightower at SOLB.

Love Spikes, but the LB coverage was really bad last season and Collins covers well for a LB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Spikes is reading the writing on the wall. Mayo,Collins, Hightower, and Nink is a versatile talented LB core. i have no problem with Spikes going all out playing for his next contract. Nothing motivates spme players like money does. Might get every penny out of Spikes this year....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coco40038. Show Coco40038's posts

Man I really love spikes, I hope he stays for a couple of years for the right price. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

Can't teach speed, wouldn't surprise m to see the Pats play Collins at WOLB, Mayo MLB and Hightower at SOLB.

Love Spikes, but the LB coverage was really bad last season and Collins covers well for a LB.

I would have to disagree with Really bad unless you gonna say that about all our backers. I thought he  made great strides last year and actually broke up a few passes and had an INT. I wouldnt call that really bad unless Mayo is bad as well. I would put Mayo as an 8/10 and Spikes a 7/10 last year in comparison and for you to say Collins covers well for a LB before he has even played a snap is premature. College aint the same as the Pros. I think far too many people here slam on Spikes too much for something none of our backers really excel at. Could he be better, sure, but so cant everyone. The only problem he really has now is he gets lost or gives up if asks to cover more than 10 yards down the field, but why IS he doing that. Keep in  in the box and he breaks up a lot of passes. There are plenty of backers who cant cover tight ends down the field, hell Gregory is a CB/S and he cant even cover a TE within 5 yards of the LOS. Happened atleast 3 times by my count, the TE just crossed his face while he sat there frozen. Keep it in perspective please, and I dont mean to single you out, a lot of guys misdiagnosed his play last year based on how he looked when he got here. He has improved a bunch

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

hope he does not fail the HGH testing when he shows up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Spikes is a baller, I'd love to keep him but drafting more linebackers was a preemptive move in case he plays hardball in negotiations.  The guy is great in zone coverage, he was always agile and quick in 4 directions but he had to work on his inline speed.  Even if we run the 3/4 it is necessary to have at least 5 linbackers, one of whom (Hightower, Nincovich?) that can play the swing man across all four positions.  We've never have the depth at LB like we'll have this upcoming season, if DT is sorted out with Kelly and Armstead than this defense will dominate.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I actually think it is a moot point. There are other orgs that put too high a premium on what Spikes does, and they will go high $$$ after him...PAts wont match...