Who are our starting CB's?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Who are our starting CB's?

Will it be Bodden and McCourtney?

Springs and Butler?

Wheatly and Wihite?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Who are our starting CB's?

I expect it to be Bodden and Butler, initially Springs will play nickle and again some of the larger WRs.  But after about 6 or so games McCourty should be the nickle back.  The rest are just spare parts. IMHO

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Whoever plays the best in training camp.  I'll guess Bodden, MCcourtney, and Butler see most of the time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

springs will be cut

CB

Bodden, Butler

Nickle

Wheatley, McCourty

Wilhite = Depth

I cannot see the patriots keeping Springs after that Adalius comment "Sorry AD," that he made in front of Reiss last year... i think he is on the AD team

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddog23. Show ddog23's posts

I agree Springs is Gone keep the youth movement rolling!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

Bodden and Butler will be going into camp as the starters. McCourty will most likely prove his spot as the 3rd CB, and play mostly Nickle. Wilhite and Springs are depth, and Wheatley most likely on the outs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

cant see Wheatley mixed into this group in 2010. My guess is that Wheatley gets cut.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Bodden and Butler will more than likely be the starters. Springs will start against the Dolphins, McCourty will play in the slot. Wilhite adds depth, Wheatley is out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpull. Show bigpull's posts

In Response to Re: Who are our starting CB's?:
    Bodden and Butler will more than likely be the starters. Springs will start against the Dolphins, McCourty will play in the slot. Wilhite adds depth, Wheatley is out.
    Posted by 49Patriots

I believe that Wilhite will be a good 3rd or 4th corner, he has good coverage skills, he has been covering toptier recievers, he's always been a hand swat aways from breaking up a pass...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

its nice to think that now we have a secondary, were the players in it have actually played together for a year and are returning with pretty much the same group.. just 2 year ago and even at the start of last year our secondary was pretty suspect.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

However they line up, most of the playing time, including sub packages, will go to Bodden, Butler, and McCourty.  I'm really hoping Chung steps up and becomes the versatile enforcer out there that they drafted him to be.  If so, with those four and Meriweather, this will be a really, really good secondary, and a YOUNG one too.  It will come down to how much time the QB has to throw the ball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Not just CB's but most of our defense we'll have open competition for a lot of positions. About the only positions we know of are NT-Wilfork, DE-Ty Warren, ILB-Mayo, CB-Bodden, SS-Meriweather.

That leaves us with DE, both OLB, ILB, CB, and FS that can go quite a few ways. Here are the competitors:

DE - G. Warren, Wright, Lewis, Pryor, Richard, Deadrick, Weston
    OLB - Banta-Cain, Thomas (if not released), Cunningham, Crable (if he actually stays healthy), Woods, Ninkovich, Guyton, Murrell
    ILB - Spikes, Guyton, McKenzie
    CB - Butler, McCourty, Springs (if not released), Wilhitte, Wheatley
    FS - Chung, Sanders, McGowan

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Supernova13. Show Supernova13's posts

I see Bodden and Butler as the starters, with McCourty playing the nickel. I think they keep Springs as a mentor and injury insurance. Wilhite and Wheatley will battle it out for the 4th corner. I am really pulling for Wheatley to win that competition because he had shown promise before his wrist injury rookie year.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Hey Pyegian...You and I butted heads a little, but I respect your opinions. You're knowledgeable. What do you did you think of the draft?  I thought it was B+/A- level with a chance for an A if Cunnigham pans out on the McGinest style. And no, I am not comapring him to McGinest.
    Posted by russgriswold

Hey man, I appreciate that.  I only bother debating things with posters who are worth it anyway.  We won't all always agree but there's a good group of knowledgeable fans here and you're one.  

About the draft, I agree with your assessment.  My initial reaction to the McCourty pick was frustration, but after Day 2, that had turned around.  Cunningham wasn't on my radar as an OLB, but he clearly has pass rush skills and if BB thinks he's better than some of the other better known guys, I trust him.  My favorite picks were Gronkowski and Price.  Everyone knows how solid Gronkowski is when healthy but Price has been kind of a late rising sleeper.  I've been keeping an eye on him since seeing him play a couple times last year and his impressive Senior Bowl week.  I really believe he's a guy that has 1st round talent but was hidden in a small school with a poor passing offense.

Overall I think the team got more physical and intimidating on defense, and more explosive on offense.  Can't ask for anything more than that.  Still a couple holes to fill, but BB always seems to acquire someone late in the offseason, so we'll see what happens.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

In Response to Who are our starting CB's?:
    Will it be Bodden and McCourtney? Springs and Butler? Wheatly and Wihite?
    Posted by PatsFanGermany

What does a "starter" mean on the Pats? Plays the opening snap? Plays the most snaps? As usual it never matters with the Pats. It is that weeks match up and which player is in the best position for that match up. Stay ready, be prepared and when called upon, perform. Starter, reserve, what diff does it make. 6-7 players will take snaps and better be prepared.
    The best back field will be 6-7 platers healthy, fresh and knowledgeable on the scheme for that week.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats3392. Show pats3392's posts

Bodden and Butler will be going into camp as the starters. McCourty will most likely prove his spot as the 3rd CB, and play mostly Nickle. Wilhite and Springs are depth, and Wheatley most likely on the outs.
    Posted by mjxg

I agree mjxg

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Does anyone have confirmation on the number of coverages we ran last year?  I'm going off of memory, but it seemed last year that on most weeks we ran 50%+ in a nickel+ package.  I think we ordinarily play many more snaps in nickel or higher coverage, but I don't have verification.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Does anyone have confirmation on the number of coverages we ran last year?  I'm going off of memory, but it seemed last year that on most weeks we ran 50%+ in a nickel+ package.  I think we ordinarily play many more snaps in nickel or higher coverage, but I don't have verification.
    Posted by USMCM1A1

I don't know the percentages, but they do play with extra DBs quite a bit and not just on third down.  Even when they're running standard coverages with 4 DBs, they mix up the personnel a lot, so a lot of different guys will play.    

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

was the nickel increased because of pass rush problems last year or about the same

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

was the nickel increased because of pass rush problems last year or about the same
    Posted by sirpinochle

I don't know.  You might see an increase in nickel+ packages because an improvement in rushing defense, or to try and cover up a bad pass rush.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Hey Pyegian...You and I butted heads a little, but I respect your opinions. You're knowledgeable. What do you did you think of the draft?  I thought it was B+/A- level with a chance for an A if Cunnigham pans out on the McGinest style. And no, I am not comapring him to McGinest.
    Posted by russgriswold

If Cunningham can add pressure to the QB this year, this draft was an A++!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think we ran something like 45% nickel...Not completely sure, but thought I remember reading it somewhere.

The only issue with playing more nickel, is you take either Mayo or Spikes (probably Spikes) off the field. If he is the playmaker we are all reading about and hope for, I would hate to take Spikes or Mayo off the field at all. 

Again, looking at our DL, we are stacked to play a 4-3 and/or nickel defense. If Deadrick or someone who can consistently play RDE pans out, we could play more 3-4. 

The big problem I see is that we have 2 very good ILB's, and the only "scheme" we run that utilizes them both inside is the 3-4. The problem is, we don't have a true 3-4 RDE. 

I think you get my point...anyway, I think McCourty easily assumes 3rd CB spot come day 1, and look to challenge late year. Butler/Bodden start, Wilhite in dime, Wheatley cut, Arrington I like and want to see him more on field. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Again, looking at our DL, we are stacked to play a 4-3 and/or nickel defense . . . The problem is, we don't have a true 3-4 RDE.  
    Posted by PatsLifer

Lifer, I agree we were weak at 3-4 DE last year with the loss of Seymour, but I think we're even weaker when it comes to 4-3 DEs.  We've got a bunch of guys who I think could play tackle in a 4-3, but unless Burgess re-signs and goes back to DE or Cunningham stays at his college position, I'm not sure we've got guys who can provide the pass rush you need from 4-3 DEs.  Pryor is maybe the most versatile of our current linemen, but I don't see him as an ideal 4-3 DE. 

I think BB brought in Gerard Warren and Damoine Lewis to compete for the old Seymour spot along with Pryor and the rookie Deaderick. We may see some occasional 4-3 as we did last year, but I don't think we've really got the right talent do become a regular 4-3 team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I tend to agree on the 4-3 DE's comment...We don't have an ideal one or two on the roster, but I feel more comfortable putting TBC or Cunningham at this position than Deadrick or another young guy as a 3-4 DE. 

The only point I want to make is lets put together defensive schemes that capitalize on our greatest positions of strength. If Crable, Cunningham, Spikes, McKenzie all are healthy and can play at a medium to high level, our LB corps is a position of strength. I feel the same way about our secondar...with McCourty there alongside Butler/Bodden and Chung, Sanders, Meriweather as safeties, I think you could easily argue that the weakest link right now (assuming what I said about our LB corp above is true) is our defensive line...or more specifically the DE position in a 4-3 or 3-4. 

I hope Deadrick is a late round diamond in the rough. He has the size to play the position.