Who Are the Top 10 Greatest Patriots of All-time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Who Are the Top 10 Greatest Patriots of All-time?

Great list. You left out Bruce Armstrong. I would have him in the top ten. He is one of the greatest Tackles in NFL history. You probably just forgot him. 

I would go top ten with him for sure and bump Bruschi. And I would also be inclined to have Coates or Morgan in before Mcginest. 

Either of those three players would have won superbowls if they had Tom Brady as their QB, so I think they shouldn't have that held against them. 

I would also put Hannah second. 

But great list for sure. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

Nance, SamBam, Bob Kraft and BB

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

Steve Grogan should be top 5.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

You mean Jim Nance not Larry right.
    What about TE Russ Francis,
    RB Curtis Martin,Tony Collins, Kevin Faulk,
    Recievers Wes Welker, Irving Fryer, Darryll
    QB Drew Bledsoe,
    Punters Tom Tupa nad Rich Camarillo

Jim Lee "Earthquake" Hunt, Houston Antwine
    Just to name a few

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Good stuff TP - but at the risk of sounding nit-picky, I'd put Hannah over Seymour.  I've seen specials on sports channels where players of the 70's and sportcasters opined that Hannah was the best guard ever, not just of his era.  Only been a fan since late 60's, so I don't know much about o-lineman before I started watching.  Again, just being nit-picky and not meaning to disparage your fine post.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Top 10 may be a bit lofty for Steve Nelson, but he should certainly be an honorable mention.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Great list, maybe swap Hannah and Seymour places.
    Matt Light should be honorable mention.  Lynchpin of OL on 4 SB teams.  Kevin Faulk, All World Francis and Tony Collins were good calls as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: Who Are the Top 10 Greatest Patriots of All-time?:
    [QUOTE]You mean Jim Nance not Larry right. What about TE Russ Francis, RB Curtis Martin,Tony Collins, Kevin Faulk, Recievers Wes Welker, Irving Fryer, Darryll QB Drew Bledsoe, Punters Tom Tupa nad Rich Camarillo   Jim Lee "Earthquake" Hunt , Houston Antwine Just to name a few
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Man, I totally forgot about Russ Francis - he was one of the best TE's of his era, and for about a four year period, an all world kinda receiver.  Always got overshadowed by Casper of Oakland, but yeah, he was a terrific player with exceptional hands.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Most of Fryar's great seasons came with Miami. That troubles me ... same with Curtis Martin.

But as long as we are talking about part time Pats ...............

Randy Moss.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Great list Texas;

Personally, I don't know about Vinatieri. Kickers are a special breed, not even considered football players by other players. Sure, he has his place in Patriot history but he's still just a kicker (although I'll never forget him running down and tackling Bo Jackson from behind on a kickoff).

I'd also put Hannah ahead of Seymour if for no other reason that Sey clearly was mailing it in his last two years here.

Steve Nelson should get a honorable mention and I'd put Steve Grogan in the top 10 simply for having biggest cajones of any football player I've ever seen. 

Every time I see Stanley Morgan's name I'm impressed all over again by his 19.6 yard per catch average over 13 years as a Patriot. Just unbelievable!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Great list. You left out Bruce Armstrong. I would have him in the top ten. He is one of the greatest Tackles in NFL history. You probably just forgot him.  I would go top ten with him for sure and bump Bruschi. And I would also be inclined to have Coates or Morgan in before Mcginest.  Either of those three players would have won superbowls if they had Tom Brady as their QB, so I think they shouldn't have that held against them.  I would also put Hannah second.  But great list for sure. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Nice assessment of the top ten. I think you have to throw in Bledsoe though because he basically saved the franchise and certainly has the stats to be there. He also won and although was no where near the level of Brady, would be considered a good quarterback against most.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Would also add Ted Johnson in the honorable mention category

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Great list. You left out Bruce Armstrong. I would have him in the top ten. He is one of the greatest Tackles in NFL history. You probably just forgot him.  I would go top ten with him for sure and bump Bruschi. And I would also be inclined to have Coates or Morgan in before Mcginest.  Either of those three players would have won superbowls if they had Tom Brady as their QB, so I think they shouldn't have that held against them.  I would also put Hannah second.  But great list for sure. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Yes...I did forget about Bruce Armstrong. Had I thought about him, I'd probably have ranked him 8th overall. I can also see your point about switching Hog and Seymour. But, Seymour being the anchor of a Pats' "D' that brought home three SB championships was the deciding factor for me. 

Here's some information on Armstrong: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/ArmsBr00.htm 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]You mean Jim Nance not Larry right.

RESPONSE: Yes...my bad.

What about TE Russ Francis,

RESPONSE: An honorable mention candidate;

RB Curtis Martin,

RESPONSE: Martin only played three years for the Pats. The great majority of his fine career was with the hated Jets;

Tony Collins, Kevin Faulk,

RESPONSE: Don't think that highly of Collins. Faulk spent his career as a 3rd down RB. No question...he's made some big plays for the Pats. But, he's been a part time player; 

Recievers Wes Welker, Irving Fryer, Darryll

RESPONSE: Welker needs a couple of more big years...Fryar did his best work in Miami, as I recall...I can see naming Darryl Stingley was sentimental reasons. But, the truth is, he never did much as a player before his catastrophic, so unnecessary injury...picked up during a pre-season game on a cheap missile shot by that thug, Jack Tatum;

QB Drew Bledsoe,

RESPONSE: Who would you bump from the top ten to replace with Bledsoe? Too many interceptions marred his career;

Punters Tom Tupa nad Rich Camarillo

RESPONSE: Punters??? Really???

Jim Lee "Earthquake" Hunt , Houston Antwine Just to name a few

RESPONSE: Honorable mention type guys.  
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Top 10 may be a bit lofty for Steve Nelson, but he should certainly be an honorable mention.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Doesn't Julius Adams deserve a lifetime achievement award or something for 17 years in the trenches? Unfortunately he had his best years for a crummy team.

Leon Gray wasn't around very long but was easily one of the three or four best offensive linemen to ever suit up for the Pats. Pete Brock wasn't bad either. 

Bill Lenkaitis had a distinguished career and then became the team dentist as I recall.

Guess I tend to remember the trench guys more than others. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]Doesn't Julius Adams deserve a lifetime achievement award or something for 17 years in the trenches? Unfortunately he had his best years for a crummy team. Leon Gray wasn't around very long but was easily one of the three or four best offensive linemen to ever suit up for the Pats. Pete Brock wasn't bad either.  Bill Lenkaitis had a distinguished career and then became the team dentist as I recall. Guess I tend to remember the trench guys more than others. 
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

No doubt!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

10 NE Pats faNS WHO HAVE BEEN PAYING WITH THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY, FOR YEARS TO SIT IN ALL KINDS OF WEATHER,TRAVEL TIME ,PARKING ETC. wITHOUT THE FANS SHELLING OUT BIG MONEY,(ESPECIALLY NOW), THERE WOULD BE NO 10 GREATEST PLAYERS.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Obviously we're skewed toward more recent players that we all remember, but Jon Morris played in the Pro Bowl or all-star team or whatever they called it back then just about every year he played for the Pats and he played forever. Deserves a mention as well. Again, another anonymous trench warrior. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Oh please...not this, AGAIN!! This seemingly is the 105th thread on Mankins Who's the greatest - Best - Favorite Patriot of All-Time!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Jim Plunkett was the 2nd best QB to play for the Patriots.  Only played one third (5 of 15) years for Pats but won two Super Bowls late in his career as the starting QB for Raiders (80 and 83) and was SBMVP in 80.  You think Grogan was tough, Jim Plunkett got killed on most passing plays for the Pats but still had the goods at the end of his career to win two SBs. Played on some really stinker Pats teams.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chaucer. Show chaucer's posts

Don't forget Ron Burton and Vito Babe Parilli and Bob Dee and Larry Eisenhower

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Obviously we're skewed toward more recent players that we all remember, but Jon Morris played in the Pro Bowl or all-star team or whatever they called it back then just about every year he played for the Pats and he played forever. Deserves a mention as well. Again, another anonymous trench warrior. 
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Morris was a seven (7) time pro-bowler.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

I agree with most, but I always loved Jesse Richardson

And yes Richard S. was great his first yrs, with his attitude at the end, he couldn't carry Hog's jock strap!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

It's hard to leave Gino off the list.