Who do you cut?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Who do you cut?

With competition at so many positions, I’m sure that there were many that were watching to see which ‘bubble’ players would have a good showing.

However, I took a bit of a different approach. I was watching to see which player or players would write their own ‘one-way-ticket-out-of-town’ by way of poor performance.

With the printed-out roster on a clip board in my lap and a red magic-marker in hand, it became increasingly easier as the game progressed to mark through names that ultimately pared down the roster via what I saw as the most immediate cuts.

In as much as many teams will see fit to sign some of the PATS castoffs, as has been quite common in the past, I’m not here to indict players as being unworthy of NFL eligibility. However, the player at the top of my cut list based on a pitiful performance last night, is former practice squad player, #47 Mike Rivera, LB. His performance against the Eagles, IMO, has definitely damaged his chances of even making the 2012-practice squad.

I’d be interested in other’s opinions as to who would be atop their cut list based on what they observed last night.

The Turk: "Hey, Rivera, Coach wants to see you in his office, and bring your playbook."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Who do you cut?

Rivera was going to be the 1st player I said. I didn't think Ebert or Urban looked good at all, but Ebert(3 rec's on 8 targets) should at least be given some more opportunity as he obviously has speed.

Lavarias, Ventrone and Martin all had a bad play that stuck out to me. Ventrone got burned on the muffed punt and was responsible for the outcome from what I remember.

I honestly couldn't say too many others did a lot to "punch their own ticket out" so to speak. Folston, (DE) Stalworth,(not that he looked terrible) Cole(CB) didn't domuch to stand out off the top of my head.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If I had to use a red marker the first names that came to mind were

Ebert, Rivera, Urban, and Bolden but that's because of poor play. No other players stood out to me as players who significantly hurt their situation other then those 4. But I would bet if they could sneak them through Ebert, Urban, and Bolden would make the PS. Rivera I'm not so sure about.

Cole, Stallworth, Cannon, Thomas didn't really help their cases either but not to the point were I'd say it negatively affected their situations.

Brace helped himself and Cunningham I was indifferent on. He had the one big play against Vick but in reality it was Love that caused that play to happen. If Love didn't crash the center then Cunningham would have been pushed all the way around Vick. He had a solid game but nothing really stood out to me one way or the other with his play

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

I'd like to keep Bolden.  I might cut Hoyer and just go with 2 Qbs.  If we are down to our third Qb, it may as well be Edelman.  So, yeah, to keep Bolden I ditch Hoyer.  Also I thought Branch made a good case for keeping him last night.  That whole Stallworth/Branch fight may just end up as a keep em both situation.  But Branch did some nice work there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I know Hoyer didn't look great last night but you really thought Mallett looked like he was ready to be essentially the only backup? Mallett hit a defender in the back on across the middle and the overturned pick because of the penalty. His eyes were read the entire way and he never saw the defender getting ready to jump the route. Mallett's not even close to being a starter at this point. He still needs to learn how to put touch on the ball, learn his progressions, and increase his accuracy

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I think we have to keep Bolden.  As was pointed out in another post, and correctly, he is the only back we have beside Ridley that can run with power up the middle.  Ridley didn't look good last night, and if he gets dinged up during the season we cannot rely on Woodhead or Vereen as our primary backs.  Just not going to work.  Bolden gets a pass. 

BB has some VERY tough decesions to make in the upcoming days. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Ebert dropped his first dump off pass but made up for it later with a great first down play, no way you cut him. Same with Bolden, he muffed the punt but then showed he could run with a hard nosed style. I'd question the idea of giving a 228 pound halfback kick return responsibilities in the first place but I guess they want to see what he can do besides run.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to "Re: Who do you cut?": [QUOTE]Ebert dropped his first dump off pass but made up for it later with a great first down play, no way you cut him. Same with Bolden, he muffed the punt but then showed he could run with a hard nosed style. I'd question the idea of giving a 228 pound halfback kick return responsibilities in the first place but I guess they want to see what he can do besides run.   Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE] No way you cut Ebert? I don't think he makes it and if Bolden doesn't pick it up, he's gone too in my opinion. One of the bigger wideout names are going to get cut I think too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to "Re: Who do you cut?": [QUOTE]If I had to use a red marker the first names that came to mind were Ebert, Rivera, Urban, and Bolden but that's because of poor play. No other players stood out to me as players who significantly hurt their situation other then those 4. But I would bet if they could sneak them through Ebert, Urban, and Bolden would make the PS. Rivera I'm not so sure about. Cole, Stallworth, Cannon, Thomas didn't really help their cases either but not to the point were I'd say it negatively affected their situations. Brace helped himself and Cunningham I was indifferent on. He had the one big play against Vick but in reality it was Love that caused that play to happen. If Love didn't crash the center then Cunningham would have been pushed all the way around Vick. He had a solid game but nothing really stood out to me one way or the other with his play Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE] I noticed Love has done a real nice job pass rushing from the inside, and he did it last year too. I haven't been a big fan of his because of the way he plays the run, but if he improves there he may turn into a good player. At least the guy is out there everyday - more than you can say for a guy like Pryor (who is seen less than Sasquatch).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Who do you cut?:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Who do you cut?": No way you cut Ebert? I don't think he makes it and if Bolden doesn't pick it up, he's gone too in my opinion. One of the bigger wideout names are going to get cut I think too.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Bolden did no worse then Vareen or ridley(especially ridley) All 3 backs were met at the LOS, only Bolden showed power to absorb contact and fall forward. The 3rd and 3 run for a 1st was very impressive.

No way we cut Bolden and only have 1 power back on this team. A guy who has had fumbling problems and already had a knee injury. Vareen has not proven he can run between the tackles yet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you cut? : Bolden did no worse then Vareen or ridley(especially ridley) All 3 backs were met at the LOS, only Bolden showed power to absorb contact and fall forward. The 3rd and 3 run for a 1st was very impressive. No way we cut Bolden and only have 1 power back on this team. A guy who has had fumbling problems and already had a knee injury. Vareen has not proven he can run between the tackles yet.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Agree we don't cut Bolden, that they had him out there returning kicks last night speaks to their opinion of his athleticism. I think we ran the ball better in game one for sure, part of that probably had to do with Andy Reid tearing into his D Line. We ran well early and later on the Eagles were obviously more prepared to stop the run, at which point our QB's found it a little easier to pass.

Bolden had one power run where he got hit like two times and still got ten yards. He looked good. Don't know if I agree that Vereen can't run between the tackles though, the kid stuck his nose in there with no hesitation and pushed the pile and looked good on the goal line on that 2 point conversion, he is really strong for a speed demon.

If Ridley doesn't stop fumbling he won't make it through this season and Bolden suddenly looks more necessary...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to "Re: Who do you cut?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you cut? : Bolden did no worse then Vareen or ridley(especially ridley) All 3 backs were met at the LOS, only Bolden showed power to absorb contact and fall forward. The 3rd and 3 run for a 1st was very impressive. No way we cut Bolden and only have 1 power back on this team. A guy who has had fumbling problems and already had a knee injury. Vareen has not proven he can run between the tackles yet. Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE] I do agree with this, however I also don't see them keeping a roster spot open for an average power back (if that's what Bolden is). We've seen them go into the regular season low at spots and you think...wow, we've got almost no one at that position. They don't keep guys unless they're real good. Is Bolden real good? I don't know.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I know Hoyer didn't look great last night but you really thought Mallett looked like he was ready to be essentially the only backup? Mallett hit a defender in the back on across the middle and the overturned pick because of the penalty. His eyes were read the entire way and he never saw the defender getting ready to jump the route. Mallett's not even close to being a starter at this point. He still needs to learn how to put touch on the ball, learn his progressions, and increase his accuracy
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

at the moment, they are both 3rd stringers to me. mallet has potential to be a good backup or maybe more if he can get the game to slow down for him and employs better decsion-making and more consistent accuracy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Who do you cut?": No way you cut Ebert? I don't think he makes it and if Bolden doesn't pick it up, he's gone too in my opinion. One of the bigger wideout names are going to get cut I think too.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

they might try to ps bolden or;
     woody or him get a 6 week injury.
    ebert is ps material
    stallworth i think is gone

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I do agree we keep Bolden but only because we have no other power backs honestly. If Larsen was healthy and producing I think he'd be in over Bolden at this point but without that FB I do think they carry 4 RB's into the season which means Bolden makes the cut

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

From the little I've seen, I like Bolden's running style. He seems more decisive at the LOS, and has a smooth running style.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Ebert is more a question mark. He should have caught more of the passes thrown his way.

He also does not seem as quick/fast as I expected.

But I'm still hoping he shows up more cause we need youth @WR.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

[QUOTE] If Ridley doesn't stop fumbling he won't make it through this season and Bolden suddenly looks more necessary...
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

I missed the Ridley fumbles.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Ebert is more a question mark. He should have caught more of the passes thrown his way. He also does not seem as quick/fast as I expected. But I'm still hoping he shows up more cause we need youth @WR.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]

ebert was no tgoing to make the squad anyway imo.
    best chance for him is to ps and shine in offseason ans pre-season

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you cut? : Agree we don't cut Bolden, that they had him out there returning kicks last night speaks to their opinion of his athleticism. I think we ran the ball better in game one for sure, part of that probably had to do with Andy Reid tearing into his D Line. We ran well early and later on the Eagles were obviously more prepared to stop the run, at which point our QB's found it a little easier to pass. Bolden had one power run where he got hit like two times and still got ten yards. He looked good. Don't know if I agree that Vereen can't run between the tackles though, the kid stuck his nose in there with no hesitation and pushed the pile and looked good on the goal line on that 2 point conversion, he is really strong for a speed demon. If Ridley doesn't stop fumbling he won't make it through this season and Bolden suddenly looks more necessary...
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

I really think McD and BB sent all our backs up the middle for a reason. I think he wanted to gauge what our back up guards could do, and I think he wanted to see how all 3 guys did running when the other team knew we were going to run.

See how they handled it, see if they shied away from contact, or welcomed it(as Bolden surely did), if they fumbled or showed ball control.

I think the entire offense we ran was a test. A test for Mallet and Hoyer to see if they could show poise. A test for the O-line to see if they could handle 1on1 battles(not too much) and a test for the RB's to see if they could show discipline, patience, and determination running into a wall of defenders.

I am not saying Vareen cannot run between the tackles, and actually he did prove he is tough by lowering the shoulder and not looking like a post shoulder injury Maroney.

I just think it doesn't make sense to cut Bolden when we don't know if Vareen is capable of handling a 3 down RB work load. We know Woody cannot, and we think Ridley can, but that does not make any of us too confident I would imagine!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you cut? : I really think McD and BB sent all our backs up the middle for a reason. I think he wanted to gauge what our back up guards could do, and I think he wanted to see how all 3 guys did running when the other team knew we were going to run. See how they handled it, see if they shied away from contact, or welcomed it(as Bolden surely did), if they fumbled or showed ball control. I think the entire offense we ran was a test. A test for Mallet and Hoyer to see if they could show poise. A test for the O-line to see if they could handle 1on1 battles(not too much) and a test for the RB's to see if they could show discipline, patience, and determination running into a wall of defenders. I am not saying Vareen cannot run between the tackles, and actually he did prove he is tough by lowering the shoulder and not looking like a post shoulder injury Maroney. I just think it doesn't make sense to cut Bolden when we don't know if Vareen is capable of handling a 3 down RB work load. We know Woody cannot, and we think Ridley can, but that does not make any of us too confident I would imagine!

really think McD and BB sent all our backs up the middle for a reason. I think he wanted to gauge what our back up guards could do, and I think he wanted to see how all 3 guys did running when the other team knew we were going to run.

i agree with the bb checking the run when hyou have to run assessment
    AND it wsa a necessity to not get our backups killed much of the time

See how they handled it, see if they shied away from contact, or welcomed it(as Bolden surely did), if they fumbled or showed ball control. 

I think the entire offense we ran was a test. A test for Mallet and Hoyer to see if they could show poise. A test for the O-line to see if they could handle 1on1 battles(not too much) and a test for the RB's to see if they could show discipline, patience, and determination running into a wall of defenders. 

ok im with ya

I am not saying Vareen cannot run between the tackles, and actually he did prove he is tough by lowering the shoulder and not looking like a post shoulder injury Maroney. 

ok

I just think it doesn't make sense to cut Bolden when we don't know if Vareen is capable of handling a 3 down RB work load. We know Woody cannot, and we think Ridley can, but that does not make any of us too confident I would imagine! 

agreed on your points here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Who do you cut?": I do agree with this, however I also don't see them keeping a roster spot open for an average power back (if that's what Bolden is). We've seen them go into the regular season low at spots and you think...wow, we've got almost no one at that position. They don't keep guys unless they're real good. Is Bolden real good? I don't know.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Was Benny real good? We have no depth at a position which requires it. Sometimes its ok to not have depth at QB, or DT, but not at a position which gets injured more then any other in the league. Bolden stays, or else Addai would have.

And he made a few mistakes, don't get me wrong. At 1 point I think he had a 5 yard loss because he hesitated, as did Vareen, but more often then not he met the defender at the LOS and laid the hammer on him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Who do you cut?": I do agree with this, however I also don't see them keeping a roster spot open for an average power back (if that's what Bolden is). We've seen them go into the regular season low at spots and you think...wow, we've got almost no one at that position. They don't keep guys unless they're real good. Is Bolden real good? I don't know.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

none of our backs are far above avg but they are all young.we will see.there may be some excitement this year

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you cut? : Was Benny real good? We have no depth at a position which requires it. Sometimes its ok to not have depth at QB, or DT, but not at a position which gets injured more then any other in the league. Bolden stays, or else Addai would have. And he made a few mistakes, don't get me wrong. At 1 point I think he had a 5 yard loss because he hesitated, as did Vareen, but more often then not he met the defender at the LOS and laid the hammer on him.

Was Benny real good? Hahaha, good one.

Yeah, you're probably right, they can't just have three guys playing running back that should be third down backs (Demps, Woodhead, Vareen). They do have Ridley as their larger, more traditional guy, but he may not be enough. I could see them cutting Bolden and having him stashed away on the practice squad...ready to be activated at the first injury. Then again, if he shows a little more in the next two games, I could see him staying. I'm wondering if Woodhead mat be in danger - we do have a couple of guys that can play a third down roll and he has dropped  some passes this pre season...I doubt it, but it could happen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who do you cut? : none of our backs are far above avg but they are all young.we will see.there may be some excitement this year
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Yup, you never know. Young legs at the running back spot usually lead to something good...we'll see.