Who Don't the Patriots need this Offseason

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Who Don't the Patriots need this Offseason

With all the talk about who this team needs in the draft I want to see what positions are filled because we won't find better talent.  If the Pats pick up a DE or OLB in the first two picks will they find anyone to fill the roster in the late rounds?  Realistically, after the first round the chances of finding a starter quality player sharply decrease.  Where is the biggest need?

QB-  No way

WR-Moss, Welker, after that Aiken, Edelman, Tate, and Stanback have shown promise but haven't been healthy enough to stay consistent.  Should they go for a WR before the third round?  If they don't, will they get someone better than all these guys or should they just let them develop.

RB-Maroney has been good this year, Morris, and Taylor got injured but have a good history of playing well.  Unless the Pats pick up a RB in the 1st rd I don't think they will get anyone better than Maroney.

TE- I don't see this as a major need right now

O line-  Vollmer looks good, could be the missing piece. 

LB-Guyton and Mayo look like long term guys with lots of talent.  OLB appears to be in need.  Thomas is probably done, Ninkovich?  Should they wait on Crable again or just draft an OLB in the 1st round.

D line-  Missing Seymour but what are the chances of replacing a 6th overall pick with a 20th or higher overall pick.  Free agency may be the best way to go.  If Wilfork doesn't get resigned then there will be another hole.

Safety-Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, Mcgowan  Young fast and mostly inexperienced.  I doubt they find anything better in the draft.

CB-Bodden has had some brilliant games, Springs is a high priced guy but hasn't looked very good.  Wilhite (4th rounder), Wheatley(2nd rounder)- are they worth waiting on?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Re: Who Don't the Patriots need this Offseason

Shen:

I think they need a RB that can push the pile. 250 lbs type of guy. Also, unless the resign Watson, they will only have Baker on the roster, so look for Bill to pick one up.

Otherwise, OLB's and DE's. Remember too, we have Tyrone McKenzie coming in as a redshirt from last year's third round as well as Tate. So we will essentially have a first rounder, three second rounders, and two "red shirt third rounders."

The future is bright, even if the present has lost a little luster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

Our ILB depth will be much better next year with Mayo, Guyton, and McKenzie out there (If Seau doesn't return, not sure about that one). 

OLB is definitely a position of need, no matter if we have Tully, Burgess, Ninkovich, and Crable - even if it's for solid backup for a rotation of LB's. 

DE is in need - A DE or two; A starter and a quality backup would do wonders for this defense as long as Wilfork is resigned. 

CB? Maybe - Bodden could possibly be resigned; Wilhite and Butler will be back, which could be good or bad (not sure, we'll know next year how they have progressed).  I think they'll both be much better next year. 

Offensive Line - Maybe; if Vollmer stays healthy, he should be the future at LT or RT.  Could use some depth though, never hurts to have depth.

WR - Need a SOLID #3 if Tate doesn't develop into a WR.  They've got Edelman and Aiken, but I think Aiken is more of a special-teams guy and Edelman is another slot-type WR.  They need another guy on the outside to take coverage from Moss/Welker.

HB - IF Taylor can get healthy and return next year, then no.  Maroney has shown promise now and he could be very useful next year if he continues to run hard and gain yards (instead of dancing).  Taylor could be a good backup though.

TE - If they resign Watson, then it could be good IF they actually USE him.  They could use another option at TE though; nothing wrong with more depth and more options at the TE position, even if it's for run-blocking and pass-blocking and not a receiving threat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I think they need to start with the coaching before we talk draft.  They need an Offense Coordinator!  I would like them to replace Pees as well.  I think the pass rush is more becouse of coaching than becouse of players.  Look at the players they have brought in over the past 4 years.  They have brought in free agent OLB pass rushers who have not looked good here.  I think it is the scheme more than the players that is hurting.  After that, they need to get younger and bigger on the offensive line.  They need to find some wide receivers.  They need a running back.  Everyone is forgetting that Faulk is in his 14th season that is an eternity for a running back.  He is good, but eventually he is going to breakdown.  Defense is okay.  They need to mature.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I'll take a shot at the original post.
    1. QB..agree..not next year...possibly the year after
    2. WR...Look to FA's...need a smart, quality vet that can jump in as a solid #3. Look to groom Tate as a number 1-2...If he has it that is.
    3. RB...Definitely...I would take a RB in the 3rd-4th round..I think some quality can be found there...pick up a bruiser, someone that can block and run with blatant disregard for their health.
    4. TE...not next year
    5. Oline...yes, draft but not sure where 
    6. LB...for sure...loose Crable..not sure about McKenzie....I would like to see McKenzie and Mayo strong in the middle, Guyton possibly in rotation outside, but need a strong OLB who can rush...1st or 2nd round.
    7. Dline...yes...but this depends on a few things....
    8. Safety..no..we are bathed in safeties right now...
    9. CB...yes...one of our 2nd rounders on a good CB of the future....wilhite is not a starting CB, Springs is too old, Butler good but needs time to develop...not sure if we lock Bodden up long term...This will be an area of need for sure in 2010.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Matt Light - Can't block
    Nick Kazcur - Also can't block (which is why the tight ends are being kept at the line to help him and his twin brother block DE's and OLB's)
    Adalius Thomas - Free agent bust (talks too much)
    Shawn Springs - Free Agent bust (can't get activated)
    Shawn Crable - Draft day bust who can't stay healthy
    Sammy Morris - Too injury prone
    Fred Taylor - Also too injury prone
    Lee Bodden - Can't cover (bites on pump fakes)
    Derrick Burgess - Can't rush the passer

Did i miss anyone?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from vapatfan1. Show vapatfan1's posts

My short answer is there isn't any position that couldn't use improvement.  Some more than others for varying reasons.

How much longer can Falk defy age and NFL pounding before he calls it quits.  Maroney--last year of his contract.  Doe's he re-sign or get cut?  If so, what's the plan? 

DB--we have numbers and youth but are we still looking for that shut down CB? 

OLB--AT is all but done.  He leaves and we have a problem.  The current group of OLBs are hardly the Idea impact players.  Solid maybe but nothing special. 

Even QB shouldn't be out of the question if that next Tom Brady can be drafted. 

As for the current team.  Some will leave and that may dictate who BB places priority on. 

Wouldn't mind a big reciever to groom to replace Moss eventually--and that day may be coming sooner than we all expect.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Who Don't the Patriots need this Offseason:
    [QUOTE]Shen: I think they need a RB that can push the pile. 250 lbs type of guy. Also, unless the resign Watson, they will only have Baker on the roster, so look for Bill to pick one up. Otherwise, OLB's and DE's. Remember too, we have Tyrone McKenzie coming in as a redshirt from last year's third round as well as Tate. So we will essentially have a first rounder, three second rounders, and two "red shirt third rounders." The future is bright, even if the present has lost a little luster.
    Posted by Caesar1177[/QUOTE]

I tend to think the opposite way - I'd like to see them get a back who can make someone miss in space with good vision who can create plays on his own.

I think between Maroney and BenJarvis Green-Ellis, you already have two backs who can run hard, and I think you could tell Maroney to bulk up if that's what you really wanted.

I'm looking for said agile back to also be able to catch out of the backfield because he'll also replace Faulk in passing situations someday.