Who gets the tie breaker if..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxCsBruins. Show SoxCsBruins's posts

Who gets the tie breaker if..

OK, i understand that if the ravens lose today they own the tie breaker over us. But, the Broncos will be 9-3 and if they own the tiebreaker of the Ravens, then who gets the 2 seed? So, it could be possible that there is a 3 way tie for the 2 seed with each team owning the tie breaker vs 1 team. Who gets it in that case?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Re: Who gets the tie breaker if..

3 way ties in same conference go to best conference record. Of Pats 3 losses 2 were to NFC teams so Pats are best at 8-1 against AFC,,,,

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Well even though Baltimore lost today they still beat the Pats this year, so even though both teams are 8-3, the Ravens own the tie breaker.  Pats beat Denver, so they own that tie breaker. 

Pats need another win and a Baltimore loss.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Hou

Balt

Pats

Denver

As of right now, I believe this is the seeding.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Nope - 3 ways ties are conference. 2 way ties are head/head. Right now Pats are 2 seed....But with 3 Conference games to play a lot can happen. If Pats beat Houston next week, seeds will go down to last week!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

NFL tiebreaker rules: http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in common games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12. Coin toss

Pats are 1-1 (lost to Ravens, beat Broncos)

Ravens are 1-0 (beat Pats)

Broncos are 0-1 (lost to Pats)

So, right now, the Ravens still hold the #2 seed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

according to espn, boston gets the #2 spot, gets tiebreaker over ravens and broncos because of better conference win percentage (as of today)

i thought ravens had tiebreaker due to head to head game.

edit: never mind. 3 way tie.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In response to jri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Per NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

[/QUOTE]

This shows the Pats as #2 seed.  I wish this were so, but I think it's clear from my prior post that the Pats lose on the very first 3-way tiebreaker.  I expect the NFL is using replacement refs for their "Playoff Picture" and will issue a retraction.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to nyjoseph's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Per NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

[/QUOTE]

This shows the Pats as #2 seed.  I wish this were so, but I think it's clear from my prior post that the Pats lose on the very first 3-way tiebreaker.  I expect the NFL is using replacement refs for their "Playoff Picture" and will issue a retraction.

[/QUOTE]

You may be correct but that is what I based my post on.

Still a lot of football to be played

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Things will definitely change over the next 4 weeks.  Good stuff.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well even though Baltimore lost today they still beat the Pats this year, so even though both teams are 8-3, the Ravens own the tie breaker.  Pats beat Denver, so they own that tie breaker. 

Pats need another win and a Baltimore loss.

[/QUOTE]
    Agree with above.
    Head to head is first tiebreaker.  Second tiebreaker is division records if teams are in the same division . If teams not in same division it goes to conference records.  Therefore, Baltimore owns tiebreaker with us and we own tiebreaker with Denver.  we are currently number 3 seed.  If we win out and Baltimore loses a game we will be 2 seed regardless of what Denver does.If we end up tied with Denver and a better record than Baltimore we are 2 seed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

[QUOTE]

I think as of right now the Pat's hold the #2 seed. Still a lot of football to play but it makes the houston game huge.

[/QUOTE]

No, they hold the #3 seed because Baltimore beat us and we beat Denver.  Denver hasn't played the Ravens yet.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hou

Balt

Pats

Denver

As of right now, I believe this is the seeding.

[/QUOTE]

Yes. A win next week could propel the Pats to a number one, but I think 12-4 would get them a number 2, which would be fine.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dvegas74. Show dvegas74's posts

Espn also shows patriots #2 seed.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

As of right now, Patriots are the 2 seed.

Yes Baltimore beat us, but because Denver is also 8-3, we win because of the conference record

In a three way tie, H2H only matters if one team has swept or was swept by the other 2 teams.

The websites are right with NE at 2 right now

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes Baltimore beat us, but because Denver is also 8-3, we win because of the conference record

In a three way tie, H2H only matters if one team has swept or was swept by the other 2 teams.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I hadnt thought of that. Hmmmmmm

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From ESPNBoston.com:

The Patriots punched their tickets to the playoffs on Sunday and climbed up the ladder in the AFC standings in the process (thanks to a Ravens loss to the Steelers). 

The Patriots, now 9-3, currently share an identical record to both the Broncos and Ravens. Despite the fact that the Patriots were beaten by Baltimore earlier this season, they own the second seed in the current AFC playoff picture by virtue of the NFL's three-way tie breaking system (click here for all of the tiebreaker rules). The Patriots own the best conference record (8-1) of the three teams, meaning that if the playoffs started today, they would earn a first-round bye via a top two seed. 

But the playoffs do not start today, of course, so there's much left to be decided. 

Before flushing out some of the playoff scenarios and looking at upcoming schedules, here's a quick look at the AFC standings. 

Division leaders 
    1. Houston (11-1, clinched playoff berth) 
    2. New England (9-3, clinched AFC East) 
    3. Baltimore (9-3) 
    4. Denver (9-3, clinched AFC West) 

Wild cards 
    5. Indianapolis (8-4) 
    6. Pittsburgh (7-5) 

In the hunt 
    7. Cincinnati (7-5) 

Now a quick look at what lies ahead for each of the division leaders, and scenarios of note: 

Patriots

New England Patriots

Remaining schedule: vs. Houston (11-1), vs. San Francisco (8-3-1), at Jacksonville (2-10), vs. Miami (5-7) 
    Scenarios: If the Patriots win their remaining games, they will clinch at least the third seed in the AFC. If they win their remaining games but Baltimore also wins their remaining games (which includes a game against Denver in Week 15), the Ravens will take the second seed (Baltimore would win the head-to-head tiebreaker). If the Patriots win out and Baltimore loses at least one game, New England will take at least a top-two seed. With an upcoming game against Houston, the Patriots have a chance to make up ground toward a top seed. 

Texans

Houston Texans

Remaining schedule: at New England (9-3), vs. Indianapolis (8-4), vs. Minnesota (6-6), at Indianapolis (8-4) 
    Scenarios: The Texans have already bought themselves some breathing room toward a top-two seed with victories over Baltimore and Denver, meaning they can clinch a top-two seed with two wins in their final four games. A win next week in New England would all but seal it, but two games against the Colts leave the AFC South still open for the taking. This team has the clearest path to a top-two seed. 

Ravens

Baltimore Ravens

Remaining schedule: at Washington (5-6), vs. Denver (9-3), vs. New York Giants (7-4), at Cincinnati (7-5) 
    Scenarios: The Ravens still control their own destiny for a top-two seed in the the AFC, as winning out would ensure that. A Week 15 game against Denver looms large, however, as they could quickly slide from second place in the AFC standings to fourth place. The AFC North is not entirely over at this point, although Baltimore has a comfortable two-game lead. Because of their head-to-head win over the Patriots, the Ravens still have the inside track on a two seed, but face a difficult schedule down the stretch. 

Broncos

Denver Broncos

Remaining schedule: at Oakland (3-9), at Baltimore (9-3), vs. Cleveland (4-8), vs. Kansas City (2-10) 
    Scenarios: Like the Patriots, the Broncos clinched their division on Sunday. They have the easiest remaining schedule of the top four teams, and are still in play for a top two seed. The aforementioned Week 15 contest against Baltimore could go a long way toward deciding that, although Denver lost head-to-head matchups with both Houston and New England earlier this season. 

December is, as always, packed with playoff ramifications. 

According to AccuScore projections relayed by ESPN Stats & Information, the Patriots actually have the best chance at that No. 2 seed at 47 percent. The Broncos come in second with a 30 percent shot and the Ravens a 23 percent chance. Baltimore has the most difficult remaining schedule with four quality opponents. New England has two tough opponents (Texans and Niners) and two easier ones (Dolphins and Jaguars). Denver has the easiest schedule of the group, but their loss to the Patriots could cost them in the end. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I hadnt thought of that. Hmmmmmm

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

nyjoseph was wrong, though his info becomes valid if we get back to a two way tie. Pats win the three way tie thanks to better conference record, but it's precarious because we lose a two way tie to the Ravens. 

At this point we hope to either move ahead of the Ravens or stay in a three way tie. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Game against Houston is BIG---if the Pats beat the Texans and lose to the Niners, then win last 2 against Jaguars and Miami,(which is most likely),----that would put them at 12-4 - but more importantly, only 1 AFC loss----then if Ravens, Broncos and Pats ALL finish at 12-4,(I see Denver losing at Ravens and Ravens losing 1 or 2 more), the Pats would take the # 2 seed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

nyjoseph was wrong, though his info becomes valid if we get back to a two way tie. Pats win the three way tie thanks to better conference record, but it's precarious because we lose a two way tie to the Ravens. 

At this point we hope to either move ahead of the Ravens or stay in a three way tie. :)

[/QUOTE]

i posted the same last week when the another thread was started on the subject

everyone is reporting pats to 2 seed only because currently there is a 2 way tie (with denver). when that changes (when denver is no longer with us and balt), unless we win one more than ravens, we are still the 3rd seed