Who has stepped up on D?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Who has stepped up on D?

A few weeks back I made a thread and in that thread I said I thought that if Shawn Springs and Derek Burgess could come on late and get hot in the playoffs that we could make a real push for it. And since then Burgess has had a sack in each of his last 3 games (correct me if i am wrong) and Springs has been our 2nd CB and even came away with an INT in yesterdays game. So to me these guys along with Banta Cain and James Sanders have really stepped up and brought this defense together as a unit. I like Brandon McGowen he was a good starter for most of the year so I hate seeing him ride the pine but Sanders has changed this defense.

So what do you guys think? With this set of veterans and young guys starting to gell when it counts most do you think we have a shot? Who else do you think has stepped up or can step up and help win it all? My two guys are still Burgess and Springs, I still say if these two guys can play hard in the playoffs that we can win it all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Who has stepped up on D?

You Know Killa, Who didn't step up on defense yesterday. I've been down on this defense all year for different reasons and I was impressed. The most shocking of the surprises for me yesterday was Adalius Thomas playing like he had a set and actually cared. More proof that BB did the right thing. I agree that Springs looked good, TBC was a man and even Merriweather made some good plays. I know the Jags can't throw like the Colts but it was good to see yesterday and Tory Holt is a top flight reciever to go along with Maurice Jones Drew in the running game. This is the first Monday in a while that I have been happy about the total performance on this team. Plus the Colts gave me a little boost yesterday too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Mike Wright has played his balls off, Pryor and Brace have done well in place of Wilfork and Warren.

btw good call Killa you must be a defensive coach or something...ha
    btw too, way back when we resigned TBC I said it was a good thing and was ridiculed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

posted at 12/28/2009 3:04 PM EST

First: 11/23/2009
    Last: 12/28/2009
    Mike Wright has played his balls off, Pryor and Brace have done well in place of Wilfork and Warren.

btw good call Killa you must be a defensive coach or something...ha
    btw too, way back when we resigned TBC I said it was a good thing and was ridiculed.

You've been vindicated RoadKing. I never thought TBC would be able to play the run effectively but he has definitely stepped up

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

e, TBC to me looks (almost) like Vrable. If he can continue to  progress and be in the right position to make the play he'll be there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

How many sacks does TBC have this season? 8 or 9?

Mike Wright is a good call Harley, he has played lights out lately and this is the time of year you want guys playing like that. He is all heart and all effort and i love guys like that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jshinny. Show jshinny's posts

I believe I'm in the minority here but I feel the Patriots Defense has been pretty solid this year (the NO game aside).  The ofense in the second half of games has been the culprit thus far and the "D" has taken more than it's fair share of the blame.  The DBs on the whole have been the best unit they've had in some time.  It just makes you wonder what the defense would look like with a dominating pass rusher.  As it stands right now, the Patriots are tied at 3rd in scoring defense in the NFL.  Not too bad when added to the No. 2 offense in the league.  They should be better than 10-5 at this point.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Two 1 point losses, change those and we're 12-3.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

How many sacks does TBC have?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Roadking- It kind of makes you wonder where Tully would be if he had hung out here for those years he wasted in SanFran. Tully has a ring and knows what it takes in crunch time. I couldn't be happier to see this out of him.

Killa, Tully has 9.5 sacks this year and I'd like to see him get at least .5 this week.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Tully Banta-Cain | #95 | OLB

New England Patriots | Official Team Site

Height: 6-2   Weight: 250   Age: 29

Born: 8/28/1980 Mountain View , CA

College: California

Experience: 7th season

High School: Fremont HS [Sunnyvale, CA]

TCKL
    SCK
    FF
    INT
    --

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

All of them!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

e, when he was here before I thought he was Vrables' protege' and was disappointed when he signed in SF. I've always like his play, high motor good skills in getting to the qb. Only 29 years old is he locked up with us or is RFA I don't know contract situation?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

K-max

LOL! your right it does seem that way

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

RoadKing- Tully is one of those guys that reworked his contract for us earlier on in the season when we approached the trading deadline. He is locked up for short money thru 2011..3 year deal 4.6 mil.Cool

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Good to hear, thanks e

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from atz640. Show atz640's posts

I like TBC, don't get me wrong, but I'd be interested to see how many of his sacks were in very obvious passing situations late in the game.  I have yet to see a dominating pass rush from the Pats early on (I didn't watch the Jacksonville game).  I think they get sacks when they have no excuse not to get them, but struggle to separate from the pack of average teams.  I want more blitzes!

I do like how the defense has been mixing it up lately and I'd like to see Merriweather, McGowan, and Sanders in there all at once more with McGowan as the hybrid LB SS that Tank/Tyrone McKensie was supposedly slated to be.  That'd be a nice Dime/Nickel package with an interesting & speed power mix.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

I also think coaching deserves a bunch of credit. Have you guys noticed the "new" formation the patriots use on defense in third and long situations and sometimes in the red zone. They dont have anybody in a 3-point stance, and confuse the offensive line. They did this in Buffalo and they also did it yesterday. I think the confusion, is a good idea, because Banta Cain is basicaly our only player who can line up and consistenly beat an offensive tackle, but with the confusion we have been getting more pressure.

How about junior seau chipping in yesterday in the goal line situations? he looks fresh.

wilfork will most likely not play agaisnt houston either, giving him 3 straight games off heading into the playoffs.

That gives us Vince Wilfork fresh, Fred Taylor is fresh, so is sammy morris, so is Shaun Springs, James Sanders.... i like this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

The 2 safeties set the tone early in this one.  Right after a goalline fumble Jacksonville had a chance to build some momentum.  On that 3rd down I thought that counter play would work but wow Merriweather showed some great speed and made a beautiful stick to bring up 4th and short.  On the next play a run to MJD who is tough to take down for a loss and Sanders was in the backfield immediately to trip up Jones-Drew.  Gives the Pats a short field and swings momentum back to Brady and crew.  The very next series Merriweather makes the interception and great return and the Pats open the floodgates. 

I was extremely happy to see the improvement in the tackling game also, it was brutal to say the least against Buffalo.  Lets hope they keep it up, big test this week with Andre Johnson and an explosive Houston offense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Burgess put up a statistical zero yesterday, no tackles, sacks or anything else.  I don't know how much he played.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Burgess was in on a sack, he might not have gotten it but he was in on it and thats at least one sack or being in on one sack per game the last 3 games. I am not sold enough to say he is "getting hot" at the right time or anything like that but if he is that solves the OLB problem.

Think of this, TBC has been playing above himself lately he has almost 10 sacks and on this team that is ALOT!!!!!!! People around here forget that when Vrabel got 12.5 sacks in 2007 that he was teh first guy to get double digit sacks for the Pats in like 15 years or something we dont get sacks so 9.5 is a lot. So think of it, TBC has been good and now all of a sudden Burgess "gets it" and starts to get to the QB right as the playoffs start. And then on top of that James Sanders and Shawn Springs fix the problems with the D backs and BAM we have our selves a very good defense. Although with Pats Nation acting the way we do I am sure even if Burgess got us like 10 sacks between here and the super bowl you would still all be sitting here saying "we need a pass rush"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

I like what Sean Springs has brought to the secondary in the last couple of weeks. He got beat by Steve Smith for a TD against Carolina,  but besides that he has solidified that #2 CB position, which I think may have alot to do with an improved pass rush lately.

But I also think they've all stepped up....and I like where we are heading into the playoffs...I do believe they are capable of winning in Indy or San Diego...hopefully, we'll find out!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boom95. Show boom95's posts

Bodden, TBC and Wilfork. Mayo has been very consistant but since he got hurt early in the year just hasnt looked as explosive.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

TBC for sure has stepped up but also I think Adalius Thomas played really well in this last game and he got overlooked by the fans. He has been a bum in most games but looked good last week. Burgess has started to get it and even said so himself in a recent interview, he said that he has been learning on the go since he got here but is finally starting to "get it" so I mean if both Burgess and Springs are figuring it out at the same time on top of TBC getting a bunch of sacks and the D line getting healthy I mean it just all points towards the Pats being a team people don't want to play in the play-offs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

TBC has been huge, I would like Bodden to step up his play and become a more consistent CB if he does it will make this D one of the favorites in the playoffs.
    We need Sanders and Springs getting more minutes, but will all that been said.

The problems the Pats have are been fixed and fixed at the right time, this D will be much better and will be trusted to make a stop when needed.  Also watch out for JR in the playoffs he will be looking to knock some heads off (ask MJD)