Who impressed the most? Preseason Week II

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from l52094. Show l52094's posts

Re: Who impressed the most? Preseason Week II

I hope TBC and Cunningham get healthy for 1 or 2 preseason games.  I'd like to see if Cunningham, with TBC out there, can help in the pass rush. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Gonzalez is the "best TE in NFL history"???  Huh??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I don't know who gets cut but I know it is a good problem to have when we're saying guys should be cut because of how they danced on a INT celebration.

The thing I noticed in this game is that we have more depth then I thought on this defense. Our 2nd and 3rd team beat up on ATL's back up squads. We have starters on the 2nd teams, guys with live game experience.

Morris,Mcgowan,Sanders,Wilhite,Wheatley,Lewis,Woods,Pryor are all back ups with starting capability. This team does have depth and lots of it. Throw in Mckenzie,Brace,Cunningham,Butler as back up/Nickel when Bodden comes back, Guyton,Arrington,Deadrick and you have a well rounded deep young and talented defensive group.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from marvcook. Show marvcook's posts

In Response to Re: Who impressed the most? Preseason Week II:
    [QUOTE]Gonzalez is the "best TE in NFL history"???  Huh??
    Posted by 123meg[/QUOTE]

Why, is that an outlandish statement? The guy is the all-time leader in receptions, yards, and TDs. That makes a pretty good argument for "best TE in NFL history".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

No, I guess he's up there, just never thought of him as the best ever.  Always put Winslow, Clark, Ditka, Casper, Coates, etc. ahead of him.  Valid point though with the stats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

McCourty and Hernandez impressed me the most being that they are rookies. They looked a lot like veterans with 5 years of experience the way they played. Have to say so far these rookies are looking very good and the last two drafts by the Patriots are looking better and better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]Garytx and ALL~ Price ...o.k., not bad as I recall only 1 reception and 1 drop, But man- Gotta weigh this with the "Typical Rookie" progression thing vs How unreal & atypical some of these guys are developing at (1st & 2nd yr guys).  Let alone, Brady seemingly having arguably 3 X the number of options as last year, when he had oh-moss & Welker then noone and noone after this, oh- and no running game.     
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

I was very pleased with Price's catch on the punt in the 3Q? He was backpeddling and fading to his left as he caught it. His hands looked great on a really hard catch - this guy does not have alligator arms. It is like Laz says - it is tough to be a rookie plus this guy has more to learn than your typical rook due to his limited college experience. Not sure how high his limit is but clearly Tate, Edelman and Price are impressing because Patton and Holt are gone and it is only the second preseason game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

I'm with you on all 5. It was a good overall game by most of the team. let's not forget Gostkowski- excellent acting, drawing a roughing the kicker penalty

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who impressed the most? Preseason Week II : Yes Russ, I thought he looked tentative and slow. I have been sticking up for the guy and I'm far from throwing in the towel on him, but he may not have the quickness to play end, even in this 3-4 D. The strip tackle was nice. He's a big strong guy there's no doubt about that. If you recorded the game, go back and take a look at how slow he is to get out of his stance and engage the O-lineman. The NT (Love maybe?) would be grappling a full half second before Brace.
    Posted by marvcook[/QUOTE]
    Marvin, Youa ren't allowed to disagree with rusty and have your own opinion off of what you saw of the game last night. it is against his rules that you do not agree with his every thought. afterall, he has never been to a game but watches alot  on Direct TV

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]I'm with you on all 5. It was a good overall game by most of the team. let's not forget Gostkowski- excellent acting, drawing a roughing the kicker penalty
    Posted by JimNotJimmy[/QUOTE]

I agree that the Ghost acted well, but I actually hate to see points scored that way.  It's become part of the game.  Heck, it's part of most sports.  I think soccer players get professional acting lessons.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

S-TFU, it was a well timed hit against the best TE in NFL history. Tony G. would have recovered and made that play had Meriweather not tackled him. 

Your a D bag, I rewound that play 5 times, it went right thru his hands and hit his face mask. You look at it on NFL replay before you make a false claim. What exactly would he have recovered from?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

1) Hernandez will be an endzone threat and can run intermediate routes if the Pats OC lines him up at wideout.
    2) Plenty of PDs in Mc Courty's future. With Bodden signed, Wilhite getting the occasional INT and Butler being part of the nickle and dime an area that was once a weakness could very well be stength in the near future. Good Coverage= Coverage Sacks
    3) I expect Spikes and Mayo to be the Pats ILB combo for the next five years and a very good combo at that.
    4) O Line looked good. Crumpler can crush lesser men and we are starting to see why Chris Johnson gave him alot of credit for the Titans run game. Gronk will catch passed and block. At last we have versatility at the TE position.
    5) A good run game means a more balanced less predictable offense. The Falcons game also gave some indication that the Pats can win a close field game which leads us to:
    6) Zoltan of the hill people Mesko, who had some great kicks inside the twenty,  will be a godsend for our special teams.

The big key for me is that regardless of whether it's the 1st string or 3rd string. The Pats are playing better situational football than they have in the past. I realize this is only the preseason, but it's clear that the Pats last two drafts (Chung, McCourty, Spikes, Gronk, Hernando. Hoyer ,Makenzie) are very close to paying some nice dividends). All this and we still have 4 of the top 64 in the 2011 NFL Draft. The point is the future of the franchise is in very capable hands and present personel looks very competitive and this bodes well for us fans.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolltide1963. Show rolltide1963's posts

[QUOTE]You can disagree all you want, but when you start reaching and scrambling around the ultra negative take, it screams like you are a troll OR an irrational, pink hat Pats fan who doesn't know who Victor Kiam is. I know Marv isn't, but it's strange how Boston fans become fixated on one player at times and just hammer away.  I could see if 1st rd picks were busts, failing, not doing anything, etc, but that is not the case. Ron Brace has missed 1/2 of camp from an apparent hamstring injury, forced a fumble last night and got after the QB a couple of times. Certainly not horrible.  I would expect more negative comments if he did NOTHING and looked bad. If some fans are harping on these kinds of small issues, this team is far more along than anyone would have predicted. Marv thinks Brace needs to work on his timing at the snap. Fair enough. I think everyone can be better, not just Brace. I have been to plenty of games. Went to the Balt game last year in October.  Some of you and your brains would explode if you followed 80-90% of other teams in this league with the way you analyze things.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

I look at Brace and Butler and still wonder what life would be like had we just taken Clay Matthews last year.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bpporters. Show bpporters's posts

Imo , This will go down as the best draft since BB took over, last year or 2003 would be 2nd. The Patriots are going to be far better than any of the national media thinks, and it's going to be great to see them eat it.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebuddha. Show ebuddha's posts

The thing about McCourty that I like the most, is that he seems to have that nasty streak in him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

There were so many players that really impressed me.

McCourtey  stood out.  Excellent coverage skilss and is real physical.  he looks like a stud.

Hernandez -  wow - serious speeds, hands and moves.  best looking tight end reminds me of Russ Francis

Connelly - The offensive line still has some questions but this guy looks really good (nice trap blocks)

Spikes - How the heck did he slip to us in the 2nd round?

Welker - He played and looked good. 

Chung - nice run support.

I do not like to get too excited over a pre season game but thus far it looks like we have a real nice group of young talent on both side of the ball.

dboss

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

can anybody comment on run defense? as said on my earlier post, i only caught the fourth and it looked to me like they could not stop atlanta pounding down the middle. on one occasion is saw, they had already tackled the rb 2-3 yards away from first down, yet the rb was able to force his way through to get first down. i really am hoping someone here will say that was not the way teh d played all night.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who impressed the most? Preseason Week II : I look at Brace and Butler and still wonder what life would be like had we just taken Clay Matthews last year.   
    Posted by rolltide1963[/QUOTE]

Life is full of what ifs isn't it? Gosh I could pick any of the the pro bowl rookie players and say what would like have been like had we drafted so and so. We had a good draft last year. Just man up and look at it as a whole rather than cry over a missed player. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]What round did Matthews go? I forget.
    Matthews went in the first round, with the 26th pick, traded to Green Bay by the Patriots.  Here, from Wikipedia, is the interesting history of that pick.  I would have loved to have seen Matthews on our team (and last year I criticized the move), but if Butler and Tate turn out to be strong contributors you can definitely argue that the Pats did the right thing:

26 New England → Green Bay (D). New England traded the first-round selection it acquired from Baltimore (26th overall, used to select Clay Matthews) and a fifth-round selection (162nd overall) to Green Bay for a second-round selection (41st overall, used to select Darius Butler) and two third-round selections (73rd overall, traded to Jacksonville, who selected Derek Cox; and 83rd overall, used to select Brandon Tate).[source 7]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Looks like Arrington has been watching even more vintage "Rodney" film
    this off season...

OUCH!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The best indivigual plays belong to : Best run after a catch Tate, Best hit on Defense Arrington, Best block thrown tie Crumpler and Connolly. Best run from scrimmage tie Morris and Taylor, most improved player Ron Brace one forced fumble and 3 solo tackles. Best positional play The Tight ends.....Brady is Brady nuff said.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Did they do a lot of shotgun crap or was Brady under center most of the time?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

garytx, I wasn't really paying attention to that but I think Brady was mostly under center except for obvious passing downs. I do know that the offense has commited to a more balanced style of play. Through two preseason games: 65 rush 62 pass. Mike Reiss has a nice article on this: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=5480410.

Here is a daily must read for Patriots fans:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulawht63. Show Paulawht63's posts

Kevin Faulk Never gets the Credit he is WELL Deserved He is always giving it 110% every week w/ out fail   I really like watching Hernandez and McCourty  Taylor had a great 1/2 half Second half was ok could use some work They still need to work on The Red Zone cause when the Falcons did score in the 4th Pats never tackled him 3 players MISSED there chances forget who they were But That needs work

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bkoo72. Show bkoo72's posts

[QUOTE]I think I agree based on what I have seen.  If BB is keeping 3 TEs, that likely means he needs to only keep 5 CBs, instead of 6. Hard to tell because you really need a lot of CBs in this day and age, but I agree Wheatley has had better games and the better camp.  It also means he probably can only carry 3 total Safeties.  Risky, but he may have to do it, especially if he wants to overload the DL position. I wouldn't mind seeing Sergio Brown make it over McGowan. Similar style player. I like his speed and tackling better than McGowan.  I am not sure a trade for a back up Safety or CB ispossible considering every team will be cutting these kidns of players.  If a team like a Philly is nervous about Sanders being swept off on waivers before they can get him, then yeah, that can absolutely happen. Just depends how a team might value a James Sanders type.

Isnt Sanders a vet? I thought he wouldn't go through the waiver process but be a free agent.