Who will be our Willie Mac in the playoffs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Who will be our Willie Mac in the playoffs?

One of the major differences between our SB years and our years of recent has been the absence of players like Willie Mac who always seemed to make a critical play when it counted most.  Willie Mac could become superman for a snap or two when he had to.  Many of our teams since our last SB have been talented enough to win it all.  What we lacked is a couple Willie Mac type players.  For instance, if you infused a little Willie Mac DNA into a few of our 2007 players, Assante would have caught the ball, Adalius would have slammed Eli to the ground, etc.

So after seeing this team for nearly a season, I ask if we think we have some of those players who will outplay themselves in the playoffs?  Which players will "arrive" in the playoffs?  I nominate Mike Wright.  He has shown an ability to outplay himself when it's needed most.  My honorable mentions are Merriweather and TBC.  I know Merriweather has whiffed more than a few plays of late, but I think he still has big game potential in him.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

Re: Who will be our Willie Mac in the playoffs?

Would be nice if Thomas or Burgess becomes unblockable..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

A lot of folks here said the Pats D, on Sunday versus the Bills, looked a lot hungrier to play very well than they have in the past few weeks.  So, the question is: "Are the D players hungry to prove themselves?"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

based on sunday... id say TBC.  Burgess could be a darkhorse.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

I gonna say Tully as well. He seems to be the only one that gets to the QB regularly

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Chris Hanson.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Who will be our Willie Mac in the playoffs?:
    [QUOTE]Chris Hanson.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

I hope Hanson is able to play cards during the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]based on sunday... id say TBC.  Burgess could be a darkhorse.
    Posted by FOWLER8196[/QUOTE]

Too bad you couldn't put the physical gifts some players have into the players who play with a lot of heart.  TBC seems really pleased to be back with the Pats.  Then again, I ask myself if he is standing out because our pass rush is that bad, or if he'd still be respectable anyway...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

How 'bout Jerod Mayo. Where are all the game changing plays he was supposed to make this year. I think he had a forced fumble in week 5 or something. Maybe a sack in garbage time against Tampa or Tennesee. That's about it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i agree maritime,
    i would love to see mayo stuff someone on the goal line on 4th down, or come up with a crucial strip sack/interception to seal a game... in time it will happen (i hope)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Wes Welker on offense.   Cannot be covered.

But defensively, did we really upgrade by dealing Seymour?  Here's hoping Mayo, Thomas, Meriweather, and Bodden can strap-on, because they're going to have their work cut out in the playoffs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Maybe McGowan can step up...he likely be needed aginst the likes of Antonio Gates and Dallas Clark.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

It's about time for Jr to kick those 6 games in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Caraway, Great thread that combines realism and optimism; shrewd dude...by money is on Burgess; he's acting like a guy who just understood what the Patriots are (represent) and want that...gogetem!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

Mike Wright.  The dude needs to be on the field a lot more.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

could be burgess, TBC or even AD of all people, if we continue to stay in the 3-4 base as we move into the playoffs. not so sure about mike wright. he may just be one of those career backup-situational guys. also for the dude mentioning seymour and the rest of the seymourphiles... u do realize he has exactly the same number of sacks as i have had in his last 8 games? that would be ZERO! he has 4 sacks all year. as they say, seymour is exactly what bill thought he WAS! no one would be offering a first rounder if he were still with  us under similar conditions in 2010.

carraway, these things are pretty painless, esp when u stick to very noncontroversial topics (like "will gisele again serve as brady's delilah in this year's playoffs?") while u'r at it: who will be our david patten in the playoffs? who will be the jermaine wiggins? who will be the tedy bruschi? 

this thread is actually "not too bad". 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Bubba, what do you contribute to the board? Whether Mike Vick deserves an award or not? What to call the Pat's no D lineman Defense? These topics are much better, eh?

As for you talking shots at Seymour, he doesn't have a sack in 8 games. He still can dominate the LOS, free up space for LBs and make an impact in the run game.

I am behind the trade, as I realized he likely wouldn't have been able to be re-signed and a 1st rounder was worth it. However, do not say Seymour would not have helped this team out this year, because you are just plain wrong.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

A little bit o' vintage Bruschi or Willie would be nice for the entire kick return unit.  The Pats are 31st in the league in starting field position-not conducive to scoring points...And besides a shorter field would give the OC fewer chances to mess up the play calling.  And to think that the Pats are being hurt by the loss of Ellis Hobbs. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Maritime: I couldn't agree more. Think about how Seymour had 8 sacks last year as a 3-4 end. How many sacks does Ty Warren have? Jarvis Green? Maybe Wright can get to the QB, but he can also be pushed around at a DE pretty easily (see last years game against the Bills when the Pats were gashed without big Sey). Seymour would've made a huge difference this year, and that's not even accounting for his leadership. 

I'm not a fan of the trade, and never was. I understand the thinking, but you are also losing two years of Brady in his prime. Plus, the draft is a crap shoot and there's no saying that a high pick will turn into an all-pro. Additionally, there were reports that the rookie cap won't be enacted until 2012. Will they trade the pick to 2012 then? You can't just keep on trading out. There something called the time value of money ($1 now is more valuable than $1 next year). Well, a quality player this year is more valuable than a quality player in two years in the same way. I understand the Pats model is to compete for a championship every year, but I don't agree with the Seymour move.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from number1troll. Show number1troll's posts

Don't know about Willie Mac but Matt Light will be the chili mac the way D linemen have been running through him. It's no surprise if Brady's ribs hurt. Vollmer helped stabilize O-line while Light was out.

And play for #3 spot. If Indy/Bolts win it doesn't matter but if Indy/Bolts lose it makes a huge difference. Always play to give your team best chance to win.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]...caraway, these things are pretty painless, esp when u stick to very noncontroversial topics (like "will gisele again serve as brady's delilah in this year's playoffs?") while u'r at it: who will be our david patten in the playoffs? who will be the jermaine wiggins? who will be the tedy bruschi?  this thread is actually "not too bad". 
    Posted by bubbazilla[/QUOTE]

Now Bubba, you won't see a controversial topic from me unless I actually believe it.  I will not start a thread just to get people talking.  I'm a moderate in most things in life.  You know, one of those guys who believes the best truth is usually somewhere in the middle.  I don't have a problem with your threads, even though I do believe you "occasionally" really reach in "some" of your topics.  At least you've become positive lately.