Who's to blame for the Packers last play?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LatenightOwl. Show LatenightOwl's posts

Who's to blame for the Packers last play?

Im thankful who ever was to blame for the mass confusion, it ensured an uneasy victory.

Personally as the play unfolded, I was thinking why didn't the Packers staff not double play call on their last timeout?  Yes, he's essentially a rookie starter, but they (OC or HC) never gave him an opportunity to make a play.

Let this game be a reminder, that nothing is ever guaranteed in 2010!!! I will say it every week.  There is no room for fan cockiness this year.  While the Patriots are playing well, they are young and not consistent enough on defense to assure a Lombardi in December.

Shuffle off to Buffalo. Another pesky team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Who's to blame for the Packers last play?

Coaches. The game was practically lost when they called that timeout. I was laughing when they did it. They were too far away from the end zone to call it. They should have had a play ready then. When you need a TD, you save the final TO for the very last play you can get called. 

They could have sent in two plays on 3rd down, but in reality they would have been better off with a TO to call with 15 seconds left as opposed to having 24 seconds and no TOs. That would have given them a chance at calling one really good play on 4th down -- and then a spike and one shot at the EZ.

Given the sacks, etcetera, that would have been the only way to get a clean shot.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

The coaching staff should have had Flynn ready for such a situation. At the least after the timeout following the sack they needed to be ready for such a scenario. Though Flynn could have handled it better, you can't expect him to make such snap decisions in his first start. Had it been Rodgers playing the game may have turned out much worse. Still, I think Flynn could be a good QB. His decision making will improve with experience, and he made some nice throws. He also was able to escape the pressure quite a few times. It was an ugly win last night. Let's hope they don't get in the same situation with an experienced QB in January like Rivers or Manning.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LatenightOwl. Show LatenightOwl's posts

Oh yeah.. if all goes right they would have had a Steelers v. Jets last play with a saved TO. 

Im glad the Patriots didn't lose but man it feels like one this morning.  Lets face it, the Pack dictated the game.  Brady basically won the game on his shoulders. 
    I found myself screaming at the TV once or twice on their tackling habits of 2009 reappearing.   Give credit to GB, they played hard.  As BB says, "We aren't going to be around long if we continue to play like that."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah. They got away with one ... at the same time, a win against Buffalo gets NE some time to get healthy for the first time in a while. 

If NE meets a team like this again, they will do so without a defense that is missing 3/4 of its front end starters.

People can say what they like about Flynn, who is for real, but the problem in that game was TOP, and unbelievably enough the GB 24th ranked rushing offense made that stat work. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Who's to blame for the Packers last play?:
    [QUOTE]Im thankful who ever was to blame for the mass confusion, it ensured an uneasy victory. Personally as the play unfolded, I was thinking why didn't the Packers staff not double play call on their last timeout?  Yes, he's essentially a rookie starter, but they (OC or HC) never gave him an opportunity to make a play. Let this game be a reminder, that nothing is ever guaranteed in 2010!!! I will say it every week.  There is no room for fan cockiness this year.  While the Patriots are playing well, they are young and not consistent enough on defense to assure a Lombardi in December. Shuffle off to Buffalo. Another pesky team.
    Posted by LatenightOwl[/QUOTE]
    It's because they didn't know the distance on that next down. A sideline toss for a 1st down would have made sense. Quick audible would have made that possible. You can bet TB would not have ucked that up. Rookie vs. vintage QB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The Fletcher sack ostensibly won the game, forcing the Pack to essentially waste their last timeout. If Green Bay doesn't use its timeout there, they're wasting the same precious seconds bringing the receivers back and calling a play in that situation. They may have saved one more play, but you would have likely seen the same confusion after the sack that you saw before the last play. You can't really blame the young quarterback in that situation. This was a different situation from last week, where Flynn came in in relief. If he's not prepared after a full week taking the starter's reps, that's on the coaches. The kid played well enough in spots -- and got a couple of early Christmas gifts from Ed Hochuli's Bizzaro School of Inept Officiating -- but ultimately the loss of Aaron Rodgers, as expected, was the differences.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

In Response to Re: Who's to blame for the Packers last play?:
    [QUOTE]The coaching staff should have had Flynn ready for such a situation. At the least after the timeout following the sack they needed to be ready for such a scenario. Though Flynn could have handled it better, you can't expect him to make such snap decisions in his first start. Had it been Rodgers playing the game may have turned out much worse. Still, I think Flynn could be a good QB. His decision making will improve with experience, and he made some nice throws. He also was able to escape the pressure quite a few times. It was an ugly win last night. Let's hope they don't get in the same situation with an experienced QB in January like Rivers or Manning.
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Can't f_____ believe they didn't give the kid a play to call if (more likely when) time is running out and you can't spike it. 

Flynn played very well, but his clock management on that last series (shades of Donovan McNabb in the 2004 SB) was still kind of a brain .....  (the mods censored me).  Maybe you can't expect Flynn to make decisions like that on the fly, but a pro QB can and should have prepared for that situation in advance and have had a play ready to call on his own.  Can you imagine Brady ever running a total cluster**** play like that, with the game on the line, in 2001 or ever in his life? I bet in 2001 Brady ran (and still runs) those kind of scenarios through his head dozens of times.  I also suspect Bellichick runs through those kinds of hypo pressure situations in practice on a regular basis. As good as the Packer's game plan was, in the end at least one element of preparation appeared to lacking, on the part of both the coaching staff and the QB. 

You're right, with an experienced QB, the Pats wouldn't get that ridiculously bad gift of a last play. 

They dodged a bullet, and I'm not expecting the Bills to lie down either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I think it was Andy Reid. 

Or was it McNabb? 

No. Wait. That was SB38. 

Sorry.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KUL00. Show KUL00's posts

It is coaching people.

The NFL is all about situational football. The Pats while they have been in some tight spots this year, well that applies to basically every team. I get the feeling that BB has this team ready for these kinds of situations. I think he understands that the Defense can not stop the other team every ball possession. Sounds great, but this is not pop warner.  Hence, games on the line the Team has responded a few times this year. Not every game is going to be a cakewalk. Green Bay was playing for their season on Monday night. This team was supposed to be one of the best in the NFC. 

NE is a well coached team & it shows up during these crucial plays in the game.  GB was not not ready for the situation & it showed. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LatenightOwl. Show LatenightOwl's posts

Yeah, coaching rules in football.  I've gotta say, just because it looked chaotic to us doesnt mean the kid was feeling the pressure.  I think all football players are programmed to do what is asked of them and not to think for themselves.

How many times do we see an obvious "call timeout" moment and yet all 11 players are seen standing around or looking at the sideline looking for direction. 

OVER-management if you ask me.

Flynn played as well as a novice back-up can play.  But the coaches let his team down and the Patriots D off the hook.

I think the Patriots weren't caught napping like the Cleveland game, I really think Green Bay played hard and is good enough to not be scared.  Factor that the Pats have been playing out of their minds good, they were due for a tougher game.

Buffalo will challenge New England. Say what you want, they proven they play teams for 60 minutes. Expect a healthy dose of BJGE and Woodhead against a poor run-stopping team.