Why can't this guy find work?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Why can't this guy find work?

Report: Former Patriots WR Brandon Lloyd May be Retiring

The New England Patriots moved on from Brandon Lloyd this offseason after the veteran receiver completed just one year of a three year deal he signed in the Spring of 2012.  Now, after going unsigned for nearly six months, it appears that he could be retiring.  Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports:

Lloyd, 32, performed so-so for the Patriots last season, grabbing 74 receptions for 911 yards and four touchdowns.  However, he struggled to pickup yardage after the catch, and never emerged into the deep threat the Patriots thought he would.  When coupling his average performance with a high salary cap hit ($3 million) and possible locker room troubles, the Patriots decided to move on.

Now it appears that his up-and-down career could be coming to an end sooner than anyone could have expected.

Meanwhile, the Patriots could have as many as four rookies catching passes for them tomorrow against the BIlls.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Why can't this guy find work?

Once the Patriot's no longer want you, nobody wants you...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

He really wasn't very good last year: sort of a one-trick pony (back-shoulder catch along the sideline) and a bit inconsistent even with that one trick.  He didn't do much away from the sidelines, didn't get deep much, dropped some easy balls, and got absolutely no yardage after the catch.  

What's scary is that Lloyd was still an improvement over what Brady had at WR the year before . . . 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

He must have really been a head case.

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

True in alot of ways. Does anyone now of any former Patriots who left or got cut have a good career anywhere else?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

[QUOTE]

True in alot of ways. Does anyone now of any former Patriots who left or got cut have a good career anywhere else?

[/QUOTE]

Law had 10 picks when he went to the Jets

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He's not very good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Report: Former Patriots WR Brandon Lloyd May be Retiring

By Greg Knopping Receiver Brandon Lloyd, released by the Patriots earlier this offseason after one so-so season with the team, could be retiring at the age of 32.

The New England Patriots moved on from Brandon Lloyd this offseason after the veteran receiver completed just one year of a three year deal he signed in the Spring of 2012.  Now, after going unsigned for nearly six months, it appears that he could be retiring.  Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports:

Lloyd, 32, performed so-so for the Patriots last season, grabbing 74 receptions for 911 yards and four touchdowns.  However, he struggled to pickup yardage after the catch, and never emerged into the deep threat the Patriots thought he would.  When coupling his average performance with a high salary cap hit ($3 million) and possible locker room troubles, the Patriots decided to move on.

Now it appears that his up-and-down career could be coming to an end sooner than anyone could have expected.

Meanwhile, the Patriots could have as many as four rookies catching passes for them tomorrow against the BIlls.

Aging average sized WRs in the NFL who have a hard time separating from more agile, athletic and quicker DBs aren't highly valued commodities in the league. Brandon runs 4.62 at best now. On the outside? Thats not gonna cut it. The speed bar rises almost yearly in the NFL and slower than 4.5 for a shorter WR is near certain death. Maybe if he were 6'3"+ and had a physical advantage in size he could linger a bit longer, ya know, like TO or somebody, but not average size and slow. At best he gets a pick up from desperate teams who are decimated at WR. Otherwise, he has no market anymore. TB made him look servicable last year as he does with any WR due to his uncanny accuracey, but with a lesser QB, Brandon looks slow, small, scared of contact, and plain old. No need to get into his attitude.........

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I don't know the real deal, none of us do. But I doubt it has much to do with his performance last year. 

He is a salary cap casualty. He's like a lot of mid/late-career players who can still contribute, but are no longer at the top of their game and who are used to getting paid at a certain level. Fells is another one, but there are literally dozens.

They're better football players than some guys who have jobs in the league because they are willing to work for less. So the quality of the game suffers because these guys aren't on a roster, but the owners don't care because it's more money in their pockets.

Think of it this way, in what world would Belichick consider having an inexperienced, untalented guy on his roster like Mulligan over a veteran like Fells, who while not an all-pro, can still play, knows the system, etc.?

In a salary cap world, that's where.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Because the NFL, like its fans, is anal to the extreme.

This is why guys like Lloyd, TO, Moss and Tebow aren't getting offers.

When asked after the war why he had seized the machine gun and taken on an entire company of German infantry, Audie Murphy replied simply, "They were killing my friends."

http://theconservativetreehouse.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/audie-murphy-2-1.jpg

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

When asked after the war why he had seized the machine gun and taken on an entire company of German infantry, Audie Murphy replied simply, "They were killing my friends."

http://theconservativetreehouse.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/audie-murphy-2-1.jpg

Or could it be for other reasons like in 3 of the 4 cases that they shot themselves off of to many teams and no one wants to deal with the headache and in 2 of the cases their age has brought their careers to the point where they are no longer effective and in at least 1 case he has never been effective. I'll let you figure out who is who

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'm surprised the Jests don't pair him up with "tone"  They need help bad.

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

What I saw with Lloyd was that he didn't catch the ball so much as the ball "caught" him.  No YAC whatsoever.  He dropped immediately after every catch.

It's like skeet shooting.   Lloyd was the clay pigeon.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

Or could it be for other reasons like in 3 of the 4 cases that they shot themselves off of to many teams and no one wants to deal with the headache and in 2 of the cases their age has brought their careers to the point where they are no longer effective and in at least 1 case he has never been effective. I'll let you figure out who is who

[/QUOTE]

Right. That's where the anal comes in. Because none of them were any big deal as afar as being a headache goes. It's just that the NFL is run by the same kind of drama queens that they have for a fan base. As far as age or ability, no offense, but your judgement is not a standard I would abide by.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Right. That's where the anal comes in. Because none of them were any big deal as afar as being a headache goes. It's just that the NFL is run by the same kind of drama queens that they have for a fan base. As far as age or ability, no offense, but your judgement is not a standard I would abide by.

No offense taken since the experts and 32 teams agree with me and no offense they don't agree with someone wearing ruby glasses for their favorite players. Babe take the glasses off and see it for what it is. Teams don't want to deal with headaches who don't produce because it does have an affect on the locker room. And if a player is no longer effective on the field or in 1 case never really was then why give them a spot on a team when another player is better and can help you win? That's the name of the game, perform or get cut and if you are an issue in the locker room you'd better be worth keeping around. The players you listed aren't on teams for a reason and it's not because of some conspiracy against them. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dave Thomas with the Saints for one!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

To this day I will never understand the "average" performance rating he got for just shy of 1,000 yards & 70+ catches. He was ranked 28th in the entire NFL last year for those numbers. No doubt this has everything to do with him being some sort of malcontent that is not good for the locker room. I'll be pretty happy if any of our 3 rookies put up those numbers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

What I saw with Lloyd was that he didn't catch the ball so much as the ball "caught" him.  No YAC whatsoever.  He dropped immediately after every catch.

Ha!  That's generous.  He folded more like a mallard with a solid head shot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

[QUOTE]

Ha!  That's generous.  He folded more like a mallard with a solid head shot.

[/QUOTE]

lol that one pellet can do wonders!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

No offense taken since the experts and 32 teams agree with me and no offense they don't agree with someone wearing ruby glasses for their favorite players. Babe take the glasses off and see it for what it is. Teams don't want to deal with headaches who don't produce because it does have an affect on the locker room. And if a player is no longer effective on the field or in 1 case never really was then why give them a spot on a team when another player is better and can help you win? That's the name of the game, perform or get cut and if you are an issue in the locker room you'd better be worth keeping around. The players you listed aren't on teams for a reason and it's not because of some conspiracy against them. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree that sometimes players of greater ability are overlooked because they have issues which the anal drama queens of the NFL can't deal with.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

And there I thought we were talking about Brandon Lloyd.  Silly me.

Have heard it from a couple of sources that the guy was always baked in his free time.  Not sure if this combined with his locker room act (which I understand was kind of strange) made him persona non grata.