WHY CANT WE LINE UP BEN WATSON AS THE #3 RECIEVER????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

WHY CANT WE LINE UP BEN WATSON AS THE #3 RECIEVER????

He is certainly fast and athletic enough.  His route running has improved significantly this year.  What DB would be able to match up with him?  And its not like he does a whole lot for the run game anyway.  What say you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Re: WHY CANT WE LINE UP BEN WATSON AS THE #3 RECIEVER????

In Response to WHY CANT WE LINE UP BEN WATSON AS THE #3 RECIEVER????:
    [QUOTE]He is certainly fast and athletic enough.  His route running has improved significantly this year.  What DB would be able to match up with him?  And its not like he does a whole lot for the run game anyway.  What say you?
    Posted by JBonesky[/QUOTE]

First of all blocking abilty. Secondly if you move him out to a wide out position you've given up having to make the defense guess as to whether he's going to lay back and block or run a route.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

You don't need to line him up as a wide receiver in order for him to be the "3rd receiver".  For example, Dallas Clark is, for all intents and purposes, Manning's #1 receiver right now.  Sometimes he lines up in the slot, but he also is often lined up as a conventional tight end.

Watson lines up similarly, although he'll line up conventionally more often.  He is pretty much the 3rd option right now.  However, lining him up outside would be a bad idea for a number of reasons.  First, he's fast, but he doesn't have wide receiver change-of-direction skills.  Second, that takes away his strong blocking ability.  Third, that matches him up with corners instead of linebackers and safeties, who he can burn.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

Indys rookie corner is 5'9".  Your telling me thats not a good matchup?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

I can tell you right now he is not faster then any DBs. He is fast for a TE but slow as a WR so it wouldnt work. And he cant catch well enough to be a WR

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

In Response to Re: WHY CANT WE LINE UP BEN WATSON AS THE #3 RECIEVER????:
    [QUOTE]I can tell you right now he is not faster then any DBs. He is fast for a TE but slow as a WR so it wouldnt work. And he cant catch well enough to be a WR
    Posted by MVPKilla2009[/QUOTE]

Disagree about Watson not being as fast as a reciever but I tend to agree about his hands.... Your talkin bout the same guy who ran Champ down from opposite ends of the field.  Watson very well might be as good as T.O if not a littlle better given the circumstances @ QB currently on the outside.

But as stated earlier he is best suited at tight end on this team because he is a mismatch for LBs and is still utilized as a slot WR when we spread'em out.  He and faulk also line up frequently on the outside with Moss/Welker on the inside and get balls thrown their way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Change of direction and foot speed.

While Watson is athletic, he's still 6'4" and 250 pounds.  This means that inertia is going to make it naturally more difficult for him to change directions as quickly, so his routes are never going to be as sharp as Welker's or Edleman's.

Also, because he's heavier and has longer legs, his foot speed is naturally going to be a little slower, making it more difficult for him to keep his feet hot and stay on a block against a corner or safety.

While he's catching the ball well this year, the course of his career has shown that his hands aren't the greatest.

I also agree with the notion of his aligning as a conventional tight end as giving him more of a double-threat in terms of taking advantage of his ability to block DE's and LB's and also forcing defenses to acknowledge his ability to run routes and catch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

Alright guys well with your attitudes your right not much is possible.  Anyways I wasnt saying split him out every play, I was just saying when we go spread I see no reason not to line him up at wide reciever from time to time.  Just based on his size he is a missmatch, and your wrong about his speed,  this guy is fast!  Anyways lining him up on the line and then shifting and vise versa could cause some confusion too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

They already sort of use him as a 3rd receiver. I know what your saying though.I keep hoping Edleman comes back soon. By the time December comes rolling around we should have him and at least one of our injured RB's back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

Yeah Edelmen looked great before the injury.  He is a great 3rd option and seems to be surehanded for someone who wasnt even a reciever in college.  I was also very impressed with how he fights for those extra yards.  Hopefully he will be back soon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah Edelmen looked great before the injury.  He is a great 3rd option and seems to be surehanded for someone who wasnt even a reciever in college.  I was also very impressed with how he fights for those extra yards.  Hopefully he will be back soon.
    I just checked an Edleman wasn't at the media portion of practice today so it may be another week or so.I hope I'm wrong..This would be a good week to have him back.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]Alright guys well with your attitudes your right not much is possible.  Anyways I wasnt saying split him out every play, I was just saying when we go spread I see no reason not to line him up at wide reciever from time to time.  Just based on his size he is a missmatch, and your wrong about his speed,  this guy is fast!  Anyways lining him up on the line and then shifting and vise versa could cause some confusion too.

Attitude has nothing to do with reality. If you meant on some plays they already do that but when playing a team that blitzes a lot I'd rather see him in the normal position and let the other team worry about whether he's going to stay home and block, run a route or throw a quick block then break out for a short pass. If it's the latter and he makes the catch and gets into the secondary watching a 5'9" DB try to tackle him when he has a full head of steam would be fun to watch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Are you the same poster that wanted to move Guyton to safety last yr because he is fast??  I'd say this idea has about the same merit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

They DO split Watson out in some packages.  There is nothing wrong with that.  However, when they do, teams send linebackers and safeties out wide to cover him.  He will never be matched up one on one with a corner on the outside.  Just won't happen.  

Watson is a tight end, and will never be a wide receiver.  However, in different packages, they do move him around.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Alright guys well with your attitudes your right not much is possible.  Anyways I wasnt saying split him out every play, I was just saying when we go spread I see no reason not to line him up at wide reciever from time to time.  Just based on his size he is a missmatch, and your wrong about his speed,  this guy is fast!  Anyways lining him up on the line and then shifting and vise versa could cause some confusion too.

Attitude???  What are you talking about with my ATTITUDE?!?!?!  Get the f*ck outta here hahaha jk lol

In all seriousness, in addition to my previous post, I think Stewie Griffin is spot-on when he mentions that the Pats already split Watson wide on many occasions.  

It depends on whether opposing personnel offers a mismatch, such as situations when they have 2 WR on the field and the opposing defense sends in base personnel and have 7 D-linemen and linebackers and only 4 DB's.  Then they could motion Watson out into the slot if they thought he was matched up with the OLB instead of the SS.  If the SS took him, then Moss could stretch the FS deep and either Moss would enjoy single coverage or there would be a lot of open spaces in the middle of the field.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The guy is a good TE, why mess with something that ain't broken?

Plus, weren't all of you guys asking for his head in the offseason? What was it you were saying, Trade him to Philly?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Watson matches up better against slower Lber's and safeties.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WHY CANT WE LINE UP BEN WATSON AS THE #3 RECIEVER???? : Attitude???  What are you talking about with my ATTITUDE?!?!?!  Get the f*ck outta here hahaha jk lol In all seriousness, in addition to my previous post, I think Stewie Griffin is spot-on when he mentions that the Pats already split Watson wide on many occasions.   It depends on whether opposing personnel offers a mismatch, such as situations when they have 2 WR on the field and the opposing defense sends in base personnel and have 7 D-linemen and linebackers and only 4 DB's.  Then they could motion Watson out into the slot if they thought he was matched up with the OLB instead of the SS.  If the SS took him, then Moss could stretch the FS deep and either Moss would enjoy single coverage or there would be a lot of open spaces in the middle of the field.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Maybe some people get confused watching the game if all the players aren't in the same spot every play. Of course in reality your formations are supposed to confuse the other team. This whole thread is only slightly less dumb than a Leon thread

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

Well Evil I am sorry we dont all posess the infinite football wisdom that you do.  That being said I was only trying to say that it has been abundantly clear in certain situations this year that Brady is lacking a solid third option.  Welker and Moss have certainly been getting the job done, but it would be nice to be able to take a little bit of the burden off of thier shoulders.  I was trying to spark a debate on how we could maybe incorporate Watson into the pass game a little more i.e. put him in the slot, split him out, maybe some motion.  Maybe Im wrong but I havent seen a whole lot of balls going his way.  But Im not telling you anything you dont already know so I will just keep my opinion to myself, after all this isnt some kind of public message board or anything.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

[QUOTE]You don't need to line him up as a wide receiver in order for him to be the "3rd receiver".  For example, Dallas Clark is, for all intents and purposes, Manning's #1 receiver right now.  Sometimes he lines up in the slot, but he also is often lined up as a conventional tight end. Watson lines up similarly, although he'll line up conventionally more often.  He is pretty much the 3rd option right now.  However, lining him up outside would be a bad idea for a number of reasons.  First, he's fast, but he doesn't have wide receiver change-of-direction skills.  Second, that takes away his strong blocking ability.  Third, that matches him up with corners instead of linebackers and safeties, who he can burn.
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]

This is it !!! i agree with you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

NE has already done this, a bunch of times.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]Well Evil I am sorry we dont all posess the infinite football wisdom that you do.  That being said I was only trying to say that it has been abundantly clear in certain situations this year that Brady is lacking a solid third option.  Welker and Moss have certainly been getting the job done, but it would be nice to be able to take a little bit of the burden off of thier shoulders.  I was trying to spark a debate on how we could maybe incorporate Watson into the pass game a little more i.e. put him in the slot, split him out, maybe some motion.  Maybe Im wrong but I havent seen a whole lot of balls going his way.  But Im not telling you anything you dont already know so I will just keep my opinion to myself, after all this isnt some kind of public message board or anything.

it has been abundantly clear in certain situations this year that Brady is lacking a solid third option. Should have said that in the first place along with 'some of the time'

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]Indys rookie corner is 5'9".  Your telling me thats not a good matchup?
    But that's their best corner and he has to cover Moss who is 6'4".  Indy's other rookie starting corner, an undrafted free agent, is 5'10".  There's a third corner who is 5'8", and when Indy plays the nickel he can cover Ben Watson, who is 6'3".