Why destroy your Cell Phone?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Why destroy your Cell Phone?

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I'm talking back when I lived there (79 - 80).  Not sure what happened after that.  Move to NY where they had WNEW, which I never liked and WAPP which started in 81 with a commercial free summer.  They were much better then NEW but only lasted a couple of years.  Then came K-Rock WXRK and Howard Stern.  For the last 8 or 9 years Radio in NY sucked.  Finally 104.3 is back to a RnR station.

I was there then too.  XRT was the more alternative station and the loop more mainstream rock if I remember right. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to NedBraden's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

When I lived in Chicago the place for Blues was the old Checkerboard Lounge on 43rd and King.  Buddy Guy and Junior Wells played there just about every weekend.  This was before Guy opened his eponymous bar on the North Side.  Some good times there . . . 

That city has some killer music venues/clubs/bars, etc. They're all very different in their own way, but the amount of music that comes through there on a regular basis is ridiculous. In the Northeast, people are spoiled because everyone hits NY, which means Boston and Philly get whatever goes to NY. That is how Chicago is in the Midwest and then you can also scoot up to Milwaukee, which is like going from Boston to Providence. Indy is only 3 hours to the East, so if you want to scoot over there on a weekend, you can do that, too.

But, literally every weekend from June-Sept there is either a neighborhood sectioned off with local bands, playing for free, some pretty good, or the stuff downtown at Grant Park like the Blues or Jazz fests.

Whatever your're into, it's there.  The Checkerboard Lounge (don't think it was there when I was there) was on the S. Side. I literally never went down there due to the crime risk, unless a random White Sox game when the REd Sox were in town.  

Was the Aragon Ballroom still there when you were there? Saw the Clash there once.  Fabulous show.  They played for hours . . . 

Oh yeah. Saw Ratdog in there.   I don;t think anything else that I can remember.    The Clash? When did you live ther again?  lol

The Clash died in the mid 1980s, no?  

That area is seedy, but a fun area if you stay to the west of that venue.  You can have a blast in that area if you don't roam too far. The Auditorium (no longer in use at all), the Riv, the Uptown Lounge, the Green Mill is a jazz club there now, etc.  A place called the Kinetic PLaygroundn has bands in there nightly.

When I left there in 2008 and the economy was just in the crapper in such a bad way (Not that it isn't now), I had seen homeless people fighting one another in the street in broad daylight on a regular basis. You just knew times were bad at that point.    But, if you went east towards the lake now, it was starting to kick up a bit. The halfway houses in that area always created some interesting people watching.

Anyway, the Aragaon gets really hot, because the venue itself is actually on the second floor. I always liked it.   Big, wide open floor, stage up high, so you can see everything easily. Only problem was the heat during the warmer months, IMO.  Very Boston Gardenesque in that way.

A friend of mine saw the Stones in there in 2003 on their warm up tour gigs they'd do to tune up for a leg of a tour. Bono came out and sat in on a few tunes.  

Was there from the late 70s through most of the 80s. Saw the Clash on the Combat Rock tour, so about 82.  Also saw Ted Nugent there (hey, someone gave me free tickets :-)  

I missed the stones at the Checkerboard when they played there with Muddy Waters.  I actually wanted to go that night, but couldn't get any of my dormmates to go and I wasn't wandering over there on my own.  Oh well, missed opportunity . . .

I did see U2 though . . . in the gym of one of the dorms on campus.  They were warming up for their first Chicago show.  No one really knew who they were, but it was a free concert with cheap beer (special ex or Heileman's probably).  I remember they ran out of songs so they asked us if we minded if they replayed their set. Sound was atrocious in the gym but they were good.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

When I lived in Chicago the place for Blues was the old Checkerboard Lounge on 43rd and King.  Buddy Guy and Junior Wells played there just about every weekend.  This was before Guy opened his eponymous bar on the North Side.  Some good times there . . . 

That city has some killer music venues/clubs/bars, etc. They're all very different in their own way, but the amount of music that comes through there on a regular basis is ridiculous. In the Northeast, people are spoiled because everyone hits NY, which means Boston and Philly get whatever goes to NY. That is how Chicago is in the Midwest and then you can also scoot up to Milwaukee, which is like going from Boston to Providence. Indy is only 3 hours to the East, so if you want to scoot over there on a weekend, you can do that, too.

But, literally every weekend from June-Sept there is either a neighborhood sectioned off with local bands, playing for free, some pretty good, or the stuff downtown at Grant Park like the Blues or Jazz fests.

Whatever your're into, it's there.  The Checkerboard Lounge (don't think it was there when I was there) was on the S. Side. I literally never went down there due to the crime risk, unless a random White Sox game when the REd Sox were in town.  

Was the Aragon Ballroom still there when you were there? Saw the Clash there once.  Fabulous show.  They played for hours . . . 

Oh yeah. Saw Ratdog in there.   I don;t think anything else that I can remember.    The Clash? When did you live ther again?  lol

The Clash died in the mid 1980s, no?  

That area is seedy, but a fun area if you stay to the west of that venue.  You can have a blast in that area if you don't roam too far. The Auditorium (no longer in use at all), the Riv, the Uptown Lounge, the Green Mill is a jazz club there now, etc.  A place called the Kinetic PLaygroundn has bands in there nightly.

When I left there in 2008 and the economy was just in the crapper in such a bad way (Not that it isn't now), I had seen homeless people fighting one another in the street in broad daylight on a regular basis. You just knew times were bad at that point.    But, if you went east towards the lake now, it was starting to kick up a bit. The halfway houses in that area always created some interesting people watching.

Anyway, the Aragaon gets really hot, because the venue itself is actually on the second floor. I always liked it.   Big, wide open floor, stage up high, so you can see everything easily. Only problem was the heat during the warmer months, IMO.  Very Boston Gardenesque in that way.

A friend of mine saw the Stones in there in 2003 on their warm up tour gigs they'd do to tune up for a leg of a tour. Bono came out and sat in on a few tunes.  

Was there from the late 70s through most of the 80s. Saw the Clash on the Combat Rock tour, so about 82.  Also saw Ted Nugent there (hey, someone gave me free tickets :-)  

I missed the stones at the Checkerboard when they played there with Muddy Waters.  I actually wanted to go that night, but couldn't get any of my dormmates to go and I wasn't wandering over there on my own.  Oh well, missed opportunity . . .

I did see U2 though . . . in the gym of one of the dorms on campus.  They were warming up for their first Chicago show.  No one really knew who they were, but it was a free concert with cheap beer (special ex or Heileman's probably).  I remember they ran out of songs so they asked us if we minded if they replayed their set. Sound was atrocious in the gym but they were good.

Damn, you are old.  lol

No wonder you get angry with my accurate Brady analysis. haha

I have a bootleg of U2's first ever American soil show, which is really high quality (sounds like a DAT to me if that;s possible back in that era), from March 6th, 1981.  Pretty cool. It;s probably regularly available now on the interwebs. They actually played two shows that night. Or, like you say, pretty much play almost the same set, twice.  Matches what I know about their first ever show on American soil.  I have one of the shows from that night, but not both.  My uncle's ex-girlfried and he worked the lights at the Paradise in Boston that night.  No lie. True story. Same uncle who shares seasons tickets to the Pats since '78.

So, you would have seen them, by this timeline, sometime in mid 1981 as they worked west.

That sounds right . . . think it was in April 81.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Drive By Truckers?  Would loved to have seen them. I have two great albums they did.

Aragon was cool.  Park West was probably the best sound. Saw Richard Thompson there, but missed half that show waiting outside to give a co-worker a free ticket and he never showed.  Walked in on the most searing guitar solo I have ever heard (Hard On You), and I've seen Beck, SRV, BB, Methaney, Hubie Sumlin, Clapton and a whole mess of elite guitarists. Thompson was the best and that half solo I heard was the most electrifying.  So good he makes you want to give up playing out of hopelessness. The reviews in both papers agreed: "If Eric Clapton is supposed to be God, last night Richard Thompson proved who is the real rock guitar diety..."  You don't read reviews like that every day. 

The Metro was cool.

I was at Bright Eyes at the Vic at their peak and my G/F of then nagged me into leaving before they walked on stage, mostly because the two opening bands were God-awful (lame copycats, and that on-the-edge-of-collaspe-but-provocative sound is not one easily balanced by hacks). Heard they were great that night.

A new roommate and I went to the Bluesfest in 2006 and - he being thoroughly Irish - persuaded me to get wicked pizzed with him on a blazing hot summer day.  We were literally stinking drunk.  Flithy.  And we heard a rumor that John Mayer (a talented sell-out who you don't want dating your sister) was going to play at Guy's.  We walked by, stopped at the door, asked if it was true and the doorman said, yeah, he was expected to play with Guy.  We thought about it and we just stunk and looked like ship, so we skipped it.  Turns out they did play, from early to late...with Clapton. At a time when Clapton was his best since Layla. Oooof.

Chicago must have the best music scene in the nation. And in mostly little clubs.  I hear Austin is great, but I've never been there, though I was headed there last summer until car problems arose and I turned back.

There was a time when Povidence was arguably the best city on the East Coast to see a band in the early '90s.  In a 10-day-span circa 1992 I saw The Ramones, The Bodeens, Aimee Mann, Roomful of Blues, Radiohead, Belly, In Living Colour and a couple of excellent other bands I now forget at Lupo's, The Met and The Strand. I had a roommate who always kenw a rising band and saw Jane's Addiction, Pearl Jam and Nirvana, plus many more, all at Baby Head one summer. And earlier, at the Living Room in the CIC complex I saw bands like Bo Diddly, Yellowman, Sugar, Hubie Sumlin, Hot Tuna, and yes, MEN WITHOUT HATS.  U2 played there a month before they recorded their live album at Red Rock and exploded, but I missed them that time.  Providence is not the same music scene, though give props for Deer Tick coming out of here.

I am curious - why is NYC radio the worst?  How can a city that big have such crummy radio?  Could say the same for L.A.  Gainesville, FL had an awesome small station back in the '90s that was as good as XRT, but I think it is in radio station heaven now. WRIU in South Kingstown, R.I. (for URI) can be awesome and weak all on the same day, and has a weak signal.  WBRU used to be excellent way back, but today they sound like only a step above Clear Channel stations. At least they are better than they were five-to-ten years ago.

My best concert?

I saw the Kinks at the Dunk when they recorded the live album in 1981 and they were astounding, but not the best.  I drove six hours to score the last scalpped ticket in Atlanta to see King Crimson play their Thrak album and it was indescribable. Richard Thompson is always, alwasy, always amazing as a performer and a guitarist.

Saw a great blues fest at Great Woods, featuring SRV, but he was by-then obviously abused and not-on-top.  Roy Buchanan played a great set, then hung himself about a month later. Saw the two great Who shows at Sullivan in the early '90s. Best single band for an arena, I would say. Also saw U2 there around the same time, but their songbook and show was just not on par with The Who. Was at Woodstock '94, which was a spectacular cultural event, but a lot of the bands did not stand out.  Our group arrived back from dumpiing our camping gear in the car in the lot to see Green Day exit early in a hail of flying mud and grass.  We missed their show and it was the one we most wanted to see.  My mom took me to the Newport Jazz Fest cicra '67 and she said Arlo Guthrie debuted Alice's Restaurant, though I am not certain it was the debut. I was 3 or so.

I have seen a thousand shows and more.  Worst show? Damn Yankees/Dire Straits?  Pavement?  The Lemonheads?  Hard to say.

But the best total show  as a whole was Amensty International at Giant Stadium.  What a line-up! Closing with Peter Gabriel playing Biko, then U2 playing Sunday Bloody Sunday, then a Police reunion.  Stanely Jordan blew our minds with Eleanor Rigby.  Ok, so yeah, we had to listen to Yoko and a few other less-than-stellar performers.  But that was one heck of a lonnnnnnnnng, great music day, for a great cause. And one lonnnnnnnnng traffic jam to follow. More info at http://www.atu2.com/news/amnesty-concert-in-jersey.html 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I imagine when the police come knocking (and you don't let them in) you do dumb things and panic/scramble before they come back with their search warrant...which they did. I can't believe how guilty this guy appears at this point. I have a friend that used to play minor league ball with the victim, he said he heard that Hernadez hated the victim - he didn't think Hernadez actually killed him, but he definitely thought he had something to do with it.

if so, why would one hang out with someone one hates? I sure don't do that....lol.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Was the Aragon Ballroom still there when you were there? 

The Aragon is still there now!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

This kid is dumber then I thought.  All texts, emails and locations are stored on the Service Providers, Facebook, Google, Angry Bird and NSA servers. 

"than I thought"

I wouldn't call someone else dumb and then not even know basic grammar in the process.  It looks bad.  

Oh shut it Corky! You were corrected many of times just this week on YOUR poor grammar as well as untrue "facts" from you....lol,. and you claim you are not a hyprocrite...smh. Your Trolling has no limits.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Herns was def. smoking that oooweee!  Why even hand over a smashed cellphone. Thats an admission of guilt, and like t-cal siad. Every text ever made is stored in a database.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

[QUOTE]

Was the Aragon Ballroom still there when you were there? 

The Aragon is still there now!

[/QUOTE]

That's good to hear, but last time I was there was that Clash concert in 82.  Hard to believe that was more than  30 years ago.  Is the ceiling still painted with a night sky scene and is it still all standing room only?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to chrisakawoody's comment:

Yes.  Framingham.  Or Taunton.  No offense to good folks in those cities, but it is true.

All those great free concerts in Grant Park are just starting up.  XRT has to be one of the 10 best radio stations in the country. One thing Aurora does right is those free summer concerts they have downtown.  I'd seen Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Buddy Guy, Roomful of Blues, the late Guitar Slim (if I recollect correctly), Los Lobos, The Outlaws (who, like Sheppard, blew my under-estimating mind), and others.  Besides that and a mess of great houses (Frank Lloyd Wright's and such), the town was a real downer with a lot of petty, mean people.  Complete opposite of the North Side and downtown Chicago.  

Yes, trolls and angry people here are what drove me away.  Plus I got married to a swell gal who deserved more of my time for legally commiting to me (something for her troubles), so it was a one-two punch.

Hey, one last mind-blower that must have been a hot topic here for a while: I met the young bomber about six weeks before the marathon.  Very distinct, with a sharp chin, good looks and his backwards hat.  He was exceptionally polite to me on one of my cold-call sales calls.  I walked out of there and said to myself, "Why can't more people be like that guy - nice." I believe it was in New Bedford and he was helping out at a friend's biz - maybe a car-related biz. I pride myself on being pretty good at reading people for sales, but he had me totally fooled. 

Okay, wife just got home.  Thanks all.  Have a great season. 

Congrats Chris, very good reason to stay away. Well it's good to see you post every so often. You were a good poster and this board needs more of it

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Never got into the Metro for a show.  I think their time was more mid 90s.   Yeah, Clapton came in and did the Crossroads thing at a newer outdoor stadium in 2007.  Winwood stole the show.  A friend of mine thought he could get us backstage to meet some of them (Sheryl Crow!) but it never happened. I wanted Crossroads tickets but they sold-out in less than 15 minutes.  I like Winwood better, too. Clapton was lame at the dunk circa 1984.  

Crow and Melissa Etheridge were far and away the best of Woodstock '94.  I was very near the stage for  both. It was hot and clammy, then it downpoured like this Tuesday. Great vibe that w/e. People were very cool.  Extremely cool.  That would not happen like that again and 1999 was a distaster.  I think the violent edge of gangster rap and vilent video games had finally set in by then. Glad I missed that one.

Radio blows nowadays.  I haven't put it in on in years.  Check out XRT on live stream and see what you think. But I generally agree/

Didn't Lupos burn down?  What is with Rhode Island and sketchy club management with fires, anyway? It just keeps moving every time it gets gentrifed. It moved into the Strand pace and I have not been t a show there yet.  It is expensive and tickets go quickly, and frankly 95% of the bands are a mystery to me. But it probably holds 1000.  The streand was the largest dance club on the East Coast in the mid-'90s at 1300 capacity, bigger than the Limelight in NYC. So Lupos must be pretty big, too.  I've met Rich a bunch of times, though he wouldn't know me form Adam.  He seems cool, and he would hold on to staff for long stretches.  I heard the Mob pushed him aroud a bit.  That's how the Living Room closed at the CIC, too. 

I only know Thompson from his Fairport Convention days. I didn't realize he could shred.  What solo albums are ones I should be looking into? Gosh, where would I begin.  His latest record is supposed to be one of his best.  Name another artist who gets reviews like that 50 years into their careers. I have not heard it, save for a clip of a song.  

The Mirror Blue album got me.  That's the Way That It Shows and Mascara Tears have epic solos.  Like Hendrix, he plays two parts at once, laying down a rhythmn with his thumb and index, while playing contrapuntal solos with the rest of his hand, banjo style.  Paul Gerimia can do it.  Beck can do it.  Very few can do it.  Thompson does it best.  Better than (gulp) Hendrix. But then he throws in a twist atop those - he pre-bends the strings - he plucks them before he strikes them, then lets them go back to tune gradually n a reverse string bend, but quickly, not just slowly.  And he writes extremely well.  Great lyrics.  You have to adjust to his iconic singing.  Takes a while.  But it wil get under your skin.  And he is a funny guy on stage.  For ships and giggles, he does his version of Ooops! I Did It Again, claiming Spears is one the great song artists of our time (tongue in cheek). Mock Tudor is another excellent album, featuring that Hard On Me solo which may be the greatest solo on record since All Along The Watchtower done by Jimi or maybe Voodoo Chile done by SRV.  Really, any record he has done in the past 20 years is killer.  But to watch him play? A king on accoustic.  A king on electric.  Like no other.  Check out this accoustic clip from within the past year. Best motorcycle song ever? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0kJdrfzjAg

But how can the guy who wrote and played that also do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sap3JK8CxE

Here on 100 RT recordings on Y/T: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h54rRq2SAv0&list=PLgYWoAlKZHJKFT-5R4QY8AObCR7LrTOOn

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

If this is the route you're going to go, why wouldn't he have a burner?  This is sounding like the worst planned and executed murder ever.  In fact, maybe there wasn't much planning at all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to Mike-J-D's comment:

If this is the route you're going to go, why wouldn't he have a burner?  This is sounding like the worst planned and executed murder ever.  In fact, maybe there wasn't much planning at all.

That's what I think.  I think there was an argument on the way back to Hernandez's house and one of his boys told Hernandez to turn down that road.  Here's what I don't get - how did the car get left at the scene of the crime unless there were two cars involved.  Or did they drive back to Hernandez's get a second car, then go back to the scene, drop off the rental and then drive back to his house?  Or did they do the deed then walk back to his house?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to chrisakawoody's comment:

Let's see...obstruction of justice conviction vs. murder conviction...which sentence is longer?

Seriously, we have only a shadow of a shadow of the real story, so far.

That considered, didn't we see Hernandez flash a gang symbol in a telecast a season or so back? I won't type the gang's name, but I know what I saw and I got angry viewing it, having formerly lived in a gang-infested neighborhood in Aurora, IL when I stupidly bought a cool vintage house there w/o really giving the neighborhood a top-to-bottom preview. Having lived alongside them and seeing what they did to the community for 11 years, I hate gangs!

Critical football fans outside of N.E. are dumping on Pats' fans, claiming that we want to see the whole thing white-washed.  I think they misjudge.  This is a much more moral part of the country than I think outsiders realize.  I've lived North, South, East and West.  People in the South and the Midwest claim to be most moral.  But I have found that more of these people here live to be more moral and straight-forward than the people in those other areas.  And these people are not going to tolerate a murderer/conspirator-to-murder in their midst, regardless of lofty rank or profile.

To conclude my first and last post of 2013 here, do these Pats look hopeless or what? How much more stuff could go against this team before even their first game?

I agree w/ you on one thing it's really early in the investigation but so so far he is acting incredibly foolish. But please stop with the notion that people in the northeast are some how more morally up standing than the rest of the country. I grew up in NH and lived in a lot of different places in the U.S. and that statement is just plain dumb.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

And again, I strongly recommend Ike Reilly and the Assassination.  Here is the second track on Ike's debut from 2001, Salesman and Racists...he was age 37!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvoOLR9v7Ls It was chosen as Rock Album of the Year by The Phoenix, which is how I found him.

Is it the greatest rock debut of all time? Maybe. " Yes" was pretty good.  "The Beatles" is great. Bjork's "Debut" or My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless".  But this definitely has the greatest opening line of the opening song of any rock album ever: "Last time, I couldn't make you..."  There is no good clip on Y/T of that.  But here is another excellent track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NUETwTlGZA  If you love rock, buy this record and DO NOT PLAY IT IN FRONT OF THE KIDS. Then buy more of his records.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

[QUOTE]

That's what I think.  I think there was an argument on the way back to Hernandez's house and one of his boys told Hernandez to turn down that road.  Here's what I don't get - how did the car get left at the scene of the crime unless there were two cars involved.  Or did they drive back to Hernandez's get a second car, then go back to the scene, drop off the rental and then drive back to his house?  Or did they do the deed then walk back to his house?

[/QUOTE]

If that is the situation, I would say they walked back.  It was close enough to his house I think.  There were only 4 of them including the guy who was killed so they probably didn't take two cars.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

I agree w/ you on one thing it's really early in the investigation but so so far he is acting incredibly foolish. But please stop with the notion that people in the northeast are some how more morally up standing than the rest of the country. I grew up in NH and lived in a lot of different places in the U.S. and that statement is just plain dumb.  

You make a good point.  I was doing the same stupid thing they do in Indiana or Southern Illinois, etc.. I have known some really good, solid people here.  And I have also met liars, cheats, punks, bullies and crooks hereabouts, too.  Same as everywhere else.  Sorry.

But now you remind me of the very reason I stopped participating here last year.  Posters eating there own, being bullies, lecturing others, correcting others, etc.

Have a great season.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

I believe there were two cars involved. For some reason, they're looing for a missing mirror off the second car that was returned. I believe that is correct with how I am reading it anyway. Feel free for anyone to step in and correct me if that is wrong.

So, it's the non-returned transport van in his neighborhood, then the body nearby, but moved.  And, a second car.  So, they probably returned the car with the missing side mirror, Hernandez drove his own car, picked them up after they dropped the car back off and then Hernandez dropped off his thugs whereever they went.  The report was the car with the missing mirror was dropped off in a hurry. All of this is on video, so they probably won't have a hard time nailing down the time frame.

That is likely the car the killers with Hernandez returned to the rental car place.

Hernandez's fiancee has to know something, too.  She is at the house and he comes back in at 5 AM and she doesn't know where he was, etc?  

This wasn't an arugment, this was a moronic murder plan that went awry.  It's right out of Mystic River meets Jackie Brown.

One screw up after another.  The question is, what is the motive? Why that kid and is it tied to the fiancee's sister?

Or, was the Lloyd guy mixed up in a Hernandez gang thing where he messed up (drugs) and they had to get rid of him, mob style?

You don't rent a van to go do the town and then mistakenly get angry and snap killing a guy.  

I didn't know about the car with the missing side mirror.  If there were two cars involved, that leads more towards a really bad murder plan.  It makes more sense that it was a really, really REALLY poorly planned murder. 

You say hey, we go out with this guy, drive him to the industrial park at the end of the night and smoke him, then get back to my place.  Oh maybe I'll rent a car so if anyone sees it, they won't think it's mine.  This was probably the extent of the planning.