Why did the Jaguars claim Babin?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Why did the Jaguars claim Babin?

What's the point? The Jaguars are NOT making the playoffs. They will pay 1.2-1.4 Million of his salary for the remainder of the season, and for what? He has the out in his contract that he can walk at the end of the season and go somewhere else.

It made sense for a playoff bound team to grab him but for the Jaguars to claim him seems like tats on a bull...what's the point.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Re: Why did the Jaguars claim Babin?

They're getting ready to play their superbowl against the pats....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Two reasons, mon ami.

1.) The Jaguars have needed a pass-rusher longer than we have, by claiming Babin, they can see if he plays at 100% for them so that they can resign him. 

2.) If Babin is resignable, they have priority to him and they can try to get a long term deal in the works before he hits the Free Agent market. If he wants to walk, they can tag him and get something in return for a guy they spent nothing for.

To them, it's a win-win. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Funny how some folks insist that only the Pats are smart enough, or have the need to sign someone else's castoff.

Perhaps the Jags did this for something called "Their Future".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Not sure how effective Babin will be for the Jags but I actually applaud the move .

It sends a message to their fan base that they actually care about building a winner .

Now if they laudably cut Gabbert  today - that would really signal they are ready to turn it around.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to CaptnFoxboro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not sure how effective Babin will be for the Jags but I actually applaud the move .

It sends a message to their fan base that they actually care about building a winner .

Now if they laudably cut Gabbert  today - that would really signal they are ready to turn it around.

[/QUOTE]

Agree. They need help on both sides of the ball. Babin fills one of those needs, and saves a high draft draft pick to fill other needs, like a WR or TE that would make Gabbert a better QB. Can't be good if you have nothiung to throw the ball to. Jones-Drew can't do it all by himself. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Two reasons, mon ami.

1.) The Jaguars have needed a pass-rusher longer than we have, by claiming Babin, they can see if he plays at 100% for them so that they can resign him. 

2.) If Babin is resignable, they have priority to him and they can try to get a long term deal in the works before he hits the Free Agent market. If he wants to walk, they can tag him and get something in return for a guy they spent nothing for.

To them, it's a win-win. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is exactly correct. He's not a FA after this year, he's under contract for a few more years as I recall.  So they either keep him and pay what he's owed next year, renegotiate a more favorable deal (which he's under no obligation to consider), or they release him.  I suspect they're kicking the tires on a guy that's been productive and see what happens. Not much downside from their perspective.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to jri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Two reasons, mon ami.

To them, it's a win-win. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is exactly correct. He's not a FA after this year, he's under contract for a few more years as I recall.  So they either keep him and pay what he's owed next year, renegotiate a more favorable deal (which he's under no obligation to consider), or they release him.  I suspect they're kicking the tires on a guy that's been productive and see what happens. Not much downside from their perspective.

[/QUOTE]

I thought I read he has 2/3 years left on his deal but he has an out option after this year.

[/QUOTE]

You could be right, but my understanding was it was a club option.  I don't think there are too many player options in the NFL. But I'm not 100% sure what his deal is, just going off my recollection of the Reiss article from a couple days ago which I more or less glanced at.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Two reasons, mon ami.

To them, it's a win-win. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I thought I read he has 2/3 years left on his deal but he has an out option after this year.

[/QUOTE]

You could be right, but my understanding was it was a club option.  I don't think there are too many player options in the NFL. But I'm not 100% sure what his deal is, just going off my recollection of the Reiss article from a couple days ago which I more or less glanced at.

[/QUOTE]

Based on this article it was written into the new CBA.

Babin can leave Jaguars after 2013, if he wants[/QUOTE]

pats pounce!