Why did we let Samuel go again?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Why did we let Samuel go again?

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/valuepricecb.php

Seems to me that he's been worth every penny of the contract he got. And he would have stayed here for something like $50m for 6 yrs. Even less than he got from the Eagles, and we might have had a few more championships.

Atleast we didn't make the same mistake with Mankins and Wilfork. Hopefully we won't with Gronkowski next year either. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Re: Why did we let Samuel go again?

Well, samuel did outperformed his rookie deal, deserving of a new contract. He "wanted" to remain a patriot, but he thought he was worth more than what NE had placed on him as a player. They couldn't agree on the money and length of the contract so they parted ways. Players look for what's best for them, the organization also looks for what's best for them. With that said, he left because he wanted more money than what NE was offering simple as that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

In Response to Re: Why did we let Samuel go again?:
    [QUOTE]One of the dumbest threads here in a while. Philly has been trying to trade him for 2 years. 2 years. Yet, you just asked why we didn't pay him 12 million per year to get torched on a game by game basis, almost singlehandedly, losing games when we needed to pay Wilfork, Mankins, Brady, Mayo and now Welker? Please try to use your brain a bit before looking at a name on a jersey and pretending it's still 2006. Asante Samuel became his own biggest fan and it cost the Eagles in the end.  Since Jim Johnson's passing in 2010, Samuel's 2010 and 2011 were poor years for a starting CB in this league making that kind of money.   Go ask any somewhat knowledgable Philly fan their reaction with what they expected when they got Samuel and how he's performed since 2008 there.  He's trended downward the say he stepped foot in Philly. And, anyomne referencing a dopey Jets fan's dorky website as a source as to why Samuel supposedly trails Revis as a top flight CB is clueless in understanding the position, especially for a player who is going to play here in a BB D.  Samuel was actually VERY GOOD at one one time at tackling, being physical and using the sideline as leverage in making plays a la Ty Law, but he he stopped caring once he got paid. That simple. The position is not all about trying to gamble on every down to get INTs for your next contract or avoiding tackling at all costs. Why do you think they invested in Asmouga and traded for Rodgers-Cromartie? By accident?  Watch the games and you realize that dopey Jets fan's criteria in that analysis means jack squat.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Are you pulling this stuff out of your as$? I just posted a link to a analysis which shows him to be the clear cut 2nd best QB in the league after Revis for the last 3 years. 

Eagles just overpaid for Asomugha who has been living on just reputation for a while until underperforming massively last year. 

Where is your evidence to back your claims. "Ask any Eagles fan" bs doesn't qualify.

And wtff is up with you being so ffrickin rude. What's with the personal attacks. WTFF is with this board now where one can't even make a normal post as a topic of discussion without getting crucified by fanboyz.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HoleinOne402. Show HoleinOne402's posts

Let an ex-Phila fan weigh in.  Samuel was one of the least respected Eagles.  Soft against the run and after losing a step, bad against the pass. Teammates hated that they had to make up for his misses and lack of toughness.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why did we let Samuel go again? : Are you pulling this stuff out of your as$? I just posted a link to a analysis which shows him to be the clear cut 2nd best QB in the league after Revis for the last 3 years.  Eagles just overpaid for Asomugha who has been living on just reputation for a while until underperforming massively last year.  Where is your evidence to back your claims. "Ask any Eagles fan" bs doesn't qualify. And wtff is up with you being so ffrickin rude. What's with the personal attacks. WTFF is with this board now where one can't even make a normal post as a topic of discussion without getting crucified by fanboyz.
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Can anyone really tell me what a 160.3% rating means? Football outsiders is interesting sometimes but I can't always say that just because they have put an indecipherable number next to someone's name that means that number is born from brilliant insight anymore than it could come from a failure to understand their own data. Maybe Samuel is worth every penny, but considering that the professional at the Eagles don't seem to be very happy with his play and our data comes from the not so professionals that told us Manny Lawson was a better pass rusher than Clay Matthews I wouldn't take it as gospel.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Samual was an overrated player, that was a great value for us for where he was selected in the draft. I think Bill would of made a push to keep him if he didn't want to be the highest paid guy on the market at the time. This idiot actually got a tattoo during his last season here that read pay me.

I have no problem with letting this guy go - the only problem I have is all the swing and misses we've had at that particular position...Bodden, Butler, Wheatly, Marshal, Springs. Perhaps McCourty and Dawling are/will be the answer, but I'm not holding my breath - it looks as if we'll have to go to the draft once again to take another stab at a guy that can play the position. I still don't wish we kept a flawed player at the price Philly had to pay to get him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

gotta agree with Rusty on this one. Samuel is soft against the run, freelances to often, and ran his mouth on his way out of town. Had we gotten rid of him a year earlier we may have one additional super bowl since his replacement may have drilled David Tyree instead of wathing him, and also may have held on to the int that went right thru Asante's finger tips. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why did we let Samuel go again? : Are you pulling this stuff out of your as$? I just posted a link to a analysis which shows him to be the clear cut 2nd best QB in the league after Revis for the last 3 years.  Eagles just overpaid for Asomugha who has been living on just reputation for a while until underperforming massively last year.  Where is your evidence to back your claims. "Ask any Eagles fan" bs doesn't qualify. And wtff is up with you being so ffrickin rude. What's with the personal attacks. WTFF is with this board now where one can't even make a normal post as a topic of discussion without getting crucified by fanboyz.

I was somewhat rude because it's tiring seeing your little group run around here constantly challenging BB's decisions without using a hint of basic intelligence centered around the ever-important concept of economics.

Also, I'm as far away as a fanboy as you'll find.  You just didn't like my analysis which is the complete opposite of yours, so you lash out with embarrassment.

As you can see by the Eagles fan's response to you, it appears I'm far more accruate than yourself.  I countered your analysis with sound reasoning based on my opinion with watching the real Samuel in Philly since 2009, when his play veered off the path from his last real All Pro season of 2008.  He got paid and then fell off the map. Period.

Maybe you should try to not get cute around here pretending you're better than BB all the time, as some makeshift wannabe GM in the the cap era, and you'll be just fine.  If anything, you're being the fanboy by ignoring how wise it was for BB to walk away from Samuel and you being far too enamored with Samuel yourself.

Keep in mind, you're questioning arguably the best GM in the history of the NFL.

As for Asamougha, every single player in that secondary underperformed, from Rodgers-Cromartie, to Samuel.  Their issues are LB (now addressed with DeMeco Ryans), but they flat out never recovered from the passing of Jim Johnson.   That's the reality. You don't lose a legend like that, arguably the best Def Coordinator in the game, and then act like it doesn't matter, especially when you are forced to promote an offensive coach to be your Def Coordinator.  Duh.

I warned of their all in one FA shopping not working last year anyway. They'll be much better this year with a year under their belts, Ryans added and Asamougha and Rodgers-Cromartie being in that system for a year now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]Samual was an overrated player, that was a great value for us for where he was selected in the draft. I think Bill would of made a push to keep him if he didn't want to be the highest paid guy on the market at the time. This idiot actually got a tattoo during his last season here that read pay me. I have no problem with letting this guy go - the only problem I have is all the swing and misses we've had at that particular position...Bodden, Butler, Wheatly, Marshal, Springs. Perhaps McCourty and Dawling are/will be the answer, but I'm not holding my breath - it looks as if we'll have to go to the draft once again to take another stab at a guy that can play the position. I still don't wish we kept a flawed player at the price Philly had to pay to get him.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Who is Marshal?

Bodden wasn't a miss.  He was very good in 2009 and then injuries hampered his time here.  He was also much cheaper than Samuel as an option and better for that matter in 2009.

Butler and Wheatley were misses. 

Also, it's Dowling, not "Dawling". 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

We let Asante Samuel go because you don't devote that much money of your cap to a cornerback.  Ask the Jets how that's working out for them with Darrelle Revis.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from markja. Show markja's posts

wow bassfishing, you think an awful lot of yourself.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

No, I just do my homework and have a clue. Try it sometime, Mr. Insecure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Patriots may also have let certain defensive backfield players go because of a pill bust at the US-Canada border.  I don't exactly remember which Patriots players (plural) were involved but that sort of thing isn't good for a player's reputation.  When players show lots of interest in a good time, maybe they won't have the stamina to finish the season (think of the New York Jets slide to miss the playoffs), maybe they're stupid to get busted, and they're not the right guys in the locker room.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why did we let Samuel go again? : Who is Marshal? Bodden wasn't a miss.  He was very good in 2009 and then injuries hampered his time here.  He was also much cheaper than Samuel as an option and better for that matter in 2009. Butler and Wheatley were misses.  Also, it's Dowling, not "Dawling". 
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]
    Marshall was a third round pick out of Notre Dame a few years ago, I believe he got hurt and never made it past a few training camp practices. Bodden was good in 09, but when you pay him 25 million in contract (after 09) you would expect the investment to give you at least one good game after that..he never did. I really don't care how Dowling spells his name, when you got out and run fifty yards and then go on IR, I'm willing to bet learning his name won't be necessary. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]We let Asante Samuel go because you don't devote that much money of your cap to a cornerback.  Ask the Jets how that's working out for them with Darrelle Revis.
    Posted by DoNotSleepOnThePats[/QUOTE]

I agree, it was going to be too much of a cap hit for samuel. I don't think its working out that great for the Eagles, don't they want to get rid of him? No GM is perfect as luck is involved too but there is no GM that I'd rather have than BB. The Patriots have done pretty well over the past 11 years and it's not just because they have a good QB. They have another big run in them here after this draft IMO, the past couple of seasons have been more rebuilding the roster and they have been able to do it while staying competitive.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In Response to Why did we let Samuel go again?:
    [QUOTE]http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/valuepricecb.php Seems to me that he's been worth every penny of the contract he got. And he would have stayed here for something like $50m for 6 yrs. Even less than he got from the Eagles, and we might have had a few more championships. Atleast we didn't make the same mistake with Mankins and Wilfork. Hopefully we won't with Gronkowski next year either. 

Why would we want a knucklehead like him who puts self before team?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

We let him go at just the right time. The eagles paid a big contract and now, he is just another veteran cb that might be a decent acquisition in nickel and dime situations. I wouldn't want him starting for me at this point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

In response to "Re: Why did we let Samuel go again?": [QUOTE]gotta agree with Rusty on this one. Samuel is soft against the run, freelances to often, and ran his mouth on his way out of town. Had we gotten rid of him a year earlier we may have one additional super bowl since his replacement may have drilled David Tyree instead of wathing him, and also may have held on to the int that went right thru Asante's finger tips.  Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE] I agree with this ^. Call me crazy but I'm not thrilled with paying a guy a chit load of money after choking on two important plays in the SB and diving at ankles for years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Since Samuel left the Patriots have had a hard time finding his replacement.

drafted
    Terrence Wheatley 2nd
    Jonathan Wilhite 4th

signed journeymen
    Jason Webster
    Deltha O'Neal
    Ade Jimoh
    Fernando Bryant
    Lewis Sanders
    Jason Webster

drafted
    Darius Butler 2nd

signed
    Leigh Bodden
    Shawn Springs

drafted
    Devin McCourty 1st

signed
    Chevis Jackson
    Terrence Johnson
    DeAngelo Willingham

drafted
    Ras-I Dowling 2nd

signed
    Kyle Arrington
    Antwaun Molden
    Sterling Moore

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

We play him twice a year now.  We will hasve an opportunuty to determine not bringing him bank.   I say to all those lovers of BB the GM have you looked at defense, and  the secondary the last few years?   Are you really happy with the quality of the drafting the last 5 to 10 years? Honestly?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

Because he wasn't worth it and dropped a sure interception thus allowing the inferior giants to luck their way to win the super bowl.

25. This post has been removed.