Why Havent Pats Extended Talib? Before Its Too Late

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Why Havent Pats Extended Talib? Before Its Too Late

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who says Talib wants to sign a contract now?

Kid just came off of being suspended and traded. From his perspective, he's probably smart for trying to hit the open market.

I am hesistant to give this guy a big contract because his off field issues. You mentioned a behavioral clause, but that's something Talib would have to agree with too. I'm sure there are teams out there that would give Talib money without a behavioral clause (like the Lions)

[/QUOTE]

Lets see how he performs Sunday against Andre Johnson, and, hopefully, against The Horseface in Denver...before we annoit Talib as the second coming. The guy certainly has a lot to play for. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I think it is a testimate to how bad the cornerback play that people think Talib has done enough to be resigned long-term without seeing what the market is. He has been on the roster for seven games. Missed one entirely, was definitely playing hurt in two others. He has one pick and two passes defended during that span. 

While the defensive backfield did play better after he joined, the also play 4 of the 7 worst rated passers in the NFL over that stretch - Luck (26th), Tannehill (27th), Henne (30th) and Sanchez (31st).  Those guys have a combined passer rating of 73.3 on the season (a 55% completion percentage, and more picks (60) than TDs (59)).

I say see how he does in the playoffs versus Manning (2nd in passer rating) and whoever comes out of the NFC (the four remaining QB's are the 1st, 4th, 5th and 7th rated passers in the NFL) before even thinking about a long-term deal. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What's the rush with signing Talib?  He's not really done much to warrant a brand new shiny contract.  If he locks things down and gets an INT in the SB, we'll talk after the season ends.  There's no need to extend him now.  I think he enjoys being here and see no reason he wouldn't allow the Patriots to make a competetive offer.

[/QUOTE]

there is a good reason to sign him early. he could go for teh top offer after palyoffs. 

and wondering how he played, you may not know, but bb and i know. he changed his whole defensive philosophy and did just as i suggested here that he do when i heard of the acquisition, play talib on the best wr regardless of side of the field, and move to man coverage and sending pressure at the qb. he did this against andre johnson. and it worked! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he kills it and we win a trohy, it might be too late to sign him to a reasonable pats contract (with a behavior clause). im on record of advocating that we'd have done it after his first game with us.

[/QUOTE]

You're just so dumb it's amazing. The guy just got here, has little leverage and is nursing an injured hip and you want NE to throw an extension at him with Welker not done, during a playoff run?

Do we have this correct?

You and Phat Rex have the market cornered on knee jerk reactions.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. See how he does in the playoffs. Offer him reasonable money after the season. 

[/QUOTE]

He may get big offers elsewhere if he plays well, but if he does, see ya.  Personally, I think Talib knows this is his last stop and likes the environment here.

One step at a time.  Believe it or not, even with Talib's skills, BB has the leverage in negotiations.

[/QUOTE]

I do not think if he plays well this is his last stop. If he can play well he can get big money (with a good chunk of a guaranteed) from some stupid GM and then go back to his old ways. 

What leverage does BB have in the negotiations? Have you really seen anything to make you think that Talib wants a ring more than he wants a big contract? Unless winning is priority number one to a player, BB has no leverage so long as a team is willing to offer more years or dollars.

[/QUOTE]

when tampa was dumpoing him, it was thought few if any teams would want him nevermind for wht money. being here redeeems his rep. if you can read, i wrote this al out. he had a last shot in the nfl wiht the pats. at hat point he had no shot. so pats could have extended him then (after 1 game). 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If he kills it and we win a trohy, it might be too late to sign him to a reasonable pats contract (with a behavior clause). im on record of advocating that we'd have done it after his first game with us.

[/QUOTE]

You're just so dumb it's amazing. The guy just got here, has little leverage and is nursing an injured hip and you want NE to throw an extension at him with Welker not done, during a playoff run?

Do we have this correct?

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. See how he does in the playoffs. Offer him reasonable money after the season. 

[/QUOTE]

He may get big offers elsewhere if he plays well, but if he does, see ya.  Personally, I think Talib knows this is his last stop and likes the environment here.

One step at a time.  Believe it or not, even with Talib's skills, BB has the leverage in negotiations.

[/QUOTE]

I do not think if he plays well this is his last stop. If he can play well he can get big money (with a good chunk of a guaranteed) from some stupid GM and then go back to his old ways. 

What leverage does BB have in the negotiations? Have you really seen anything to make you think that Talib wants a ring more than he wants a big contract? Unless winning is priority number one to a player, BB has no leverage so long as a team is willing to offer more years or dollars.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. BB has little leverage in this. If we win the title this year, I would guess it might even increase the likelihood that Talib leaves. Talib is still young and has plenty of years left to chase that ring if he does not get it this year. More importantly, he's already been suspended once and has off field issues. He'll probably go to whoever offers the most guaranteed money.

[/QUOTE]

as i said at the time of the trade, we have teh most leverage now, when talib is glad to just be in the league (and very grateful to the pats) and we should sign him BEFORE he plays well all year and maybe gets the idea he is all that and should go for the most money

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Who says Talib wants to sign a contract now?

Kid just came off of being suspended and traded. From his perspective, he's probably smart for trying to hit the open market.

I am hesistant to give this guy a big contract because his off field issues. You mentioned a behavioral clause, but that's something Talib would have to agree with too. I'm sure there are teams out there that would give Talib money without a behavioral clause (like the Lions)

[/QUOTE]

Lets see how he performs Sunday against Andre Johnson, and, hopefully, against The Horseface in Denver...before we annoit Talib as the second coming. The guy certainly has a lot to play for. 

[/QUOTE]

tex he already did it once
    once he does it again he will have more confidence potentially to play elsewhere for more money.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

as for how he feels about playing for the pats

and "what has he done to deserve a contrtact"

read below:

from a few interviews

As soon as you walk in the building you notice it,” said Talib. “It’s all about team here. Everybody is a professional. I have never experienced anything like this. I see the owner, Mr. (Robert) Kraft every day. That’s amazing, man. Coach Belichick treats everybody like a man, with respect. He’s a cool guy.”

”I am a Patriot,” said Talib. “It feels like I was meant to be here ... The coaches here are so good, too. It’s all about football. It’s one day at a time. It’s the perfect place to play football. I don’t know what else to say.”

“I had heard about the Patriots and the way they do things, all that stuff,” said Talib. “You know what? It’s true. This is heaven. This is football heaven.”

”I don’t want to talk about the future,” said Talib. “I’m only focused on today. And when I come here tomorrow, I’ll be focused on tomorrow ... But if you ask me if this is where I want to be? Of course, I do. Every player should play here.”

and to "what has he done:

Talib was not here the first 12 weeks when the Patriots pass defense looked more Bad New Bears reruns than paradise. ]

The Patriots led the NFL in allowing 42 completions over 20 yards, more than any they’ve allowed an entire season under Bill Belichick.

He was not there when the pass defense allowed identical long touchdown passes to Seattle (a 46-yarder to Sidney Rice, which beat the Patriots with 1:18 remaining, and to St. Louis, which scored (a 50-yarder to Chris Givens) on its first possession on the same exact play two weeks later.

While the Patriots won the game over the Rams, 45-7, he apparently had seen enough. Five days later, Belichick and the Patriots announced the deal for Talib.

Over the last five games, the Patriots have played better on defense, particularly against the pass. Through 11 games, the Patriots allowed 293 yard passing per game. With Talib in place and understanding the defense, over the last five games the team allowed only 221 yards per game, and that includes a misleading 343-yard day from Jacksonville’s Chad Henne, who also threw three interceptions.

Over that same span, the Patriots run defense allowed only 93 yards per game, and that includes a 180-yard whopper against the 49ers, which would rank the Patriots fourth overall.

To call his addition a stabilizing force would be an understatement.

”I love him. Everybody here loves him,” said Patriots safety Patrick Chung. “He has fit in really well. He has a lot of confidence. He can cover. He can tackle. I couldn’t say enough good things about Aqib. He’s the real deal.”

Even coach Bill Belichick, a man of few words, sings Talib’s praises.

“There’s no doubt that Aqib has helped our secondary,” he said.

“He’s a very smart and confident player who works hard. He has a good attitude and he fits in well. I’ve enjoyed coaching him.”

Did you know ... ? -- Patriots cornerback Aqib Talib played a few games at wide receiver during his final season (as a junior) at the University of Kansas, catching eight passes, including four for touchdowns. -- In his final season in 2007, U of Kansas coach Mark Mangino called Talib's acrobatic interception against Florida International, and the impending 102-yard return, the greatest play he had ever seen in his football career. -- His 2012 salary was $1.852 million, which ranked only 44th among cornerbacks.

The Patriots defense now is — I cringe when I am about to say it — pretty darn good. And the correlation with Talib is unavoidable.

Heck, he not only picked off an errant pass from Andrew Luck in his first game as a Patriot on Nov. 18, but he brought it back to “the house” inducing the rout.

“I don’t think people realize how good of a football player Aqib is,” said Patriots backup wide receiver and special teams wizard, Matthew Slater. “He’s got size. He’s got athleticism. He added a dimension to our defense that we didn’t have. He’s not only brought a lot to our defense, but he’s brought a lot to our team.”

It’s been fascinating to watch the New England secondary evolve over the course of the 2012 season. Much like the offensive line, there were struggles early on as they tried to find the right mix, but once they were able to find a good combo (namely, Talib and Dennard at corner and McCourty and Gregory at safety), the continuity and consistency helped improve the New England pass defense.

The addition of Talib has really been a boon. He hasn’t been a Pro Bowler by any means, but the trickle-down effect has been tremendous for the rest of the defensive backs, and, by extension, the defense as a whole. It’s allowed the New England defense to shuffle some players — particularly the move of McCourty from corner to safety, as well as kicking Arrington from outside back into the slot — and take some pressure off younger defensive backs. As a result, the Patriots have managed to maximize the strengths of the defensive backs they do have, and the numbers have reflected the change. Since late November, the following numbers have all decreased for the New England defense: points per game, average passing yards, average rushing yards and total average yards allowed per game. In addition, in that stretch, the Patriots have increased their takeaway ratio.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

You throw money at this guy just after he got here you could have a terry Glenn situation  where you pay him to sit at home.  Talib I'm sure has a financial advisor who is telling him , don't get in trouble and don't get hurt  I bet he's told to see what the offers are  then it's up to him.  Play for a winner or collect a pay check   Kind of like moss with the titans   Talib won't move on a contract till he finds out what he's worth. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm with dapats there is no reason for either side to want to sign something right now

From Talib's perspective:

He was a Pats trade away from nearly being out of the league in his contract year. Right now his value is at the lowest it's ever going to be. Even with good performances so far, because of the suspension and hip injury he really has improved his value yet. Strong playoff play will improve his value but he'd be shooting himself in the foot with no negotiation power if he looked for a contract right now

From the Pats perspective:

This kid has played well for less then a handful of games so far in his contract year after almost being released by his team for numerous off field incidents as well as a drug suspension. Any waves this kid makes and he could be suspended for half a year next time. Why would you lock him up now right before the playoffs and make him comfortable hoping he doesn't revert. Not only that but you have him playing on edge because he's looking for that next contract. You also don't want to bid against yourself as given his past I doubt many teams would be interested in his services nor would they give him money or time on a contract to sign him. There is no incentive to sign him now verses in the offseason.

All in all I could see the Pats try to shoot him a low ball offer with conduct clauses but Talib wouldn't sign that so why bother. Let him show his ability in the playoffs and this offseason you aren't going to have to compete with many teams for his services given his recent history. It's not like a Welker situation where teams will line up out the door for a all-pro WR who plays every single game and is a saint off the field 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm with dapats there is no reason for either side to want to sign something right now

From Talib's perspective:

He was a Pats trade away from nearly being out of the league in his contract year. Right now his value is at the lowest it's ever going to be. Even with good performances so far, because of the suspension and hip injury he really has improved his value yet. Strong playoff play will improve his value but he'd be shooting himself in the foot with no negotiation power if he looked for a contract right now

From the Pats perspective:

This kid has played well for less then a handful of games so far in his contract year after almost being released by his team for numerous off field incidents as well as a drug suspension. Any waves this kid makes and he could be suspended for half a year next time. Why would you lock him up now right before the playoffs and make him comfortable hoping he doesn't revert. Not only that but you have him playing on edge because he's looking for that next contract. You also don't want to bid against yourself as given his past I doubt many teams would be interested in his services nor would they give him money or time on a contract to sign him. There is no incentive to sign him now verses in the offseason.

All in all I could see the Pats try to shoot him a low ball offer with conduct clauses but Talib wouldn't sign that so why bother. Let him show his ability in the playoffs and this offseason you aren't going to have to compete with many teams for his services given his recent history. It's not like a Welker situation where teams will line up out the door for a all-pro WR who plays every single game and is a saint off the field 

[/QUOTE]

Teams are going after safety's.  seems every team could use an upgrade. I think that corners are too risky to pay big and lock up long.  Look at McCourty , his first year you would have thought a little drop off and he'd be ok. Not so much. Wonder how Indy likes the butler signing.  Safety's are coveted 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Leigh Steinburg represented Tony Eason.  Here's his take: 

"If you have, say, a ditchdigger and he gets injured, and then he gets healthy again, he should be paid what a ditchdigger would get paid."

So they signed Eason to a fat contract.  Eason was never the same again.

Talib is a great stopgap, but first of all he has a longtime, old record of stupidity, he was stupid when he was traded in mid-2012 for taking the wrong pills without knowning what was in them, and then he immediately got himself injured when he came to the Patriots.  Which Talib does the organization have?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do we have this correct?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. BB has little leverage in this. If we win the title this year, I would guess it might even increase the likelihood that Talib leaves. Talib is still young and has plenty of years left to chase that ring if he does not get it this year. More importantly, he's already been suspended once and has off field issues. He'll probably go to whoever offers the most guaranteed money.

[/QUOTE]

as i said at the time of the trade, we have teh most leverage now, when talib is glad to just be in the league (and very grateful to the pats) and we should sign him BEFORE he plays well all year and maybe gets the idea he is all that and should go for the most money

[/QUOTE]

Why do you assume Talib was just glad to be in the league? You're just making assumptions that being on the Pats is a dream come true for any player. If you can provide a source that said few times would want him, then show it. He was aquired via a midseason trade, that's why there wasn't a huge market for him at the time. Not too many teams make midseason trades for players with expiring contracts. This isn't baseball.

You really think, whatever below market value deal you think the Pats would offer, he couldn't get from 1 of the other 32 teams by hitting the open market? He was going to hit Free Agency in a couple of Months! Be real, no player would take a below average market deal 

Right now, it just seems like you're making a bunch of stuff up. If you have a source that said this was his last chance, then I'll gladly rethink my opinion. But Adam Jones was by far a bigger headache, and he actually got two more NFL chances. Even Haynesworth got two more chances. Talib is a 26 year old talented cornerback, it would be hard to believe 30 other teams have already completely given up on him

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I agree with dapats about him being out of the league had the Pats not traded for him. If Tampa couldn't find a trade partner and cut him there would have been a market for him on the cheap. And if 31 teams say no thanks, there's always the Raiders.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Why do you assume Talib was just glad to be in the league? You're just making assumptions that being on the Pats is a dream come true for any player. If you can provide a source that said few times would want him, then show it. He was aquired via a midseason trade, that's why there wasn't a huge market for him at the time. Not too many teams make midseason trades for players with expiring contracts. This isn't baseball.

You really think, what below market value deal you think the Pats would offer, he couldn't get from 1 of the other 32 teams by hitting the open market? He was going to hit Free Agency in a couple of Months! Be real, no player would take a below average market deal 

Right now, it just seems like you're making a bunch of stuff up. If you have a source that said this was his last chance, then I'll gladly rethink my opinion. But Adam Jones was by far a bigger headache, and he actually got two more NFL chances. Even Haynesworth got two more chances. Talib is a 26 year old talented cornerback, it would be hard to believe 30 other teams have already completely given up on him

[/QUOTE]

I do think some teams have taken off their list completely because they don't want to invest in someone with his track record at a market deal. I also believe he's going to get a prove it type deal (maybe a 2-3 year deal) that's below market value because of those issues. He won't get a fair market deal for his talent level that's for sure. This will benefit him though to take a prove it contract because he'll still be under 30 and can get a break the bank deal after the prove it deal.

I do completely agree he'd be beyond foolish not to want to go to the open market and see what he can get. Any player who knows their value is below market value might as well see what they can get anyways. There is no player that should not hit the open market unless they are blown away by an extension or are truely happy where they are. As such Talib would be an idiot to sign any deal right now, regardless if the Pats offered him one. We'd also never find out if they did anyways but imo the Pats also know hitting the open market is his best chance because they will be there anyways so why even bother offering him something low ball and risk insulting him? IMO again they most likely have sent out feelers to get an idea of where his head is, as far as money and length, and loosely set up the foundation of a deal and they said we'll revisit it after the season and we'll see where each other sits and let the market determine where the numbers fall.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I would assume with any player that they have evaluated, the Pats have assigned a $$$ figure on Talib, and wont go over it. Lets face it, Talib is not a player on the field or off, that would make the Pats break mold. He has been a welcome addition, certainly an upgrade, but he is not a player the Pats reach for IMO.

If Talib wants to play here, I am sure the PAts can structure a contract that will satisfy Talib financially and protecting the Pats.

Regardless of how the playoffs pan out, I dont see many teams breaking down the door to sign Talib. If he is smart (I assume he isnt) or has good representation, he will see this could be the best place for him to play in a defense that show cases him as a very good cover corner , rehab his image, and set himself up for a long career.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I agree rkarp, if he or his agent were smart he'd sign a 2yr deal at an average #1/2 cb salary. Something along the lines of 2yrs 10mil. He gets some money but the benefit to him comes more after the contract. He can rehab his image on a SB caliber team (raising his value) and still be under 30 the next time his contract comes up. Then he'd get a much larger payday. Esp, since that's when the cap explodes really and teams will be spending like wildfire

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do we have this correct?

[/QUOTE]

First words out of your mouth are a persanal attack. YOU'RE the last person here who should be calling anybody stupid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do we have this correct?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You agree the OP is stupid?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Leigh Steinburg represented Tony Eason.  Here's his take: 

"If you have, say, a ditchdigger and he gets injured, and then he gets healthy again, he should be paid what a ditchdigger would get paid."

So they signed Eason to a fat contract.  Eason was never the same again.

Talib is a great stopgap, but first of all he has a longtime, old record of stupidity, he was stupid when he was traded in mid-2012 for taking the wrong pills without knowning what was in them, and then he immediately got himself injured when he came to the Patriots.  Which Talib does the organization have?

[/QUOTE]

True, but to be fair, got himself injured on a GREAT defensive play against Andre Johnson that no other CB on the Pats could have made.