Why I think Ridley is done

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: Why I think Ridley is done

In response to NYC's comment:

Most everyone agrees that Ridley needs to change his running style and learn new techniques to hold on to the ball.

The problem is that perhaps he cannot change, or be unable to change easily! Neuro-behavioral conditioning becomes very difficult for adults especially in stressful situations even with great coaching. Someone suggested that to change him is to break him, that he needs to swing his arms to gain speed. This is what I am getting to. I know this for myself as a snow boarder I am not lose enough in my hips and even with coaching I am resistant to change because my whole balance is focused on keeping my hips rigid and my body uprirght. The problem is compounded at high speeds on steep slopes where extreme flexibility is needed in the hips, yet I am afraid of falling over if I were really loose. Enough of my troubles! Ridley may want to change but he may resist it because the old patterns are so ground into him. An NFL game is like being on a battlefield where it is not easy to integrate new patterns of behavior. Speed, strength, power and balance are necessary to power through the line but fear and old patterns take hold in these situations and one resorts to maladaptive techniques to try to manage the stress. 

Truthfully, I do not really know what I am talking about, I am not an authority on neuro-muscular conditioning under stressful situations. But, I know how difficult it is for me to change my style and can only imagine how difficult it is for Ridley as well.

I do not think you change a runner STYLE. What you do is to have the COACH coach they guy. Meaning - TWO, 2, to, too, (3-1), (1+1) ... Tee Double YOU OHHHH hands on the ball before you get through the hole and TWo, 2, to.... hands on the ball before contact even in open field.

It is funny hearing individuals here claim to be experts (1) quarterbacking (2) coaching (3) drafting (4) play calling (5) how you actually run the football.... etc etc. Of course we will all have our comments and ideas and thoughts and opinions on all things.. but to claim and speak with such complete authority and absoluteness on ALL things from single individuals... I speak not of simply the person I am repkying to who at least acknowledges some limitiations....

Ridley wont change his style. I do hope he and the coaches learn how to have him hold on to the ball. He is one of the top dozen starters in the league.

Having said that I still think Vereen IS a feature back talent and have always thought so. Just because he can catch doesnt mean he can take it between the tackles. Watch some of the Bills game for some examples. Vereen is more dangerous. Ridley tougher and perhaps mroe suited to certain packages and certains Ds. They are an excellent tandem. You do not throw the guy out without going further. Plus he is clearly a hard worker and gives a hard effort.

For me, I hope they figure this out. I do think he plays even this week. I do expect that if he fumbles he is taken off the field. I do expect if he cant be trusted he will see little to no time in the playoffs. If he holds on to the ball he will regain playing time. I do expect he is not done for the year... Not yet.

But come on guys, you can disagree with me but if you are going to dictate HOW a runner runs... well... come on...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NYC's comment:

Most everyone agrees that Ridley needs to change his running style and learn new techniques to hold on to the ball.

The problem is that perhaps he cannot change, or be unable to change easily! Neuro-behavioral conditioning becomes very difficult for adults especially in stressful situations even with great coaching. Someone suggested that to change him is to break him, that he needs to swing his arms to gain speed. This is what I am getting to. I know this for myself as a snow boarder I am not lose enough in my hips and even with coaching I am resistant to change because my whole balance is focused on keeping my hips rigid and my body uprirght. The problem is compounded at high speeds on steep slopes where extreme flexibility is needed in the hips, yet I am afraid of falling over if I were really loose. Enough of my troubles! Ridley may want to change but he may resist it because the old patterns are so ground into him. An NFL game is like being on a battlefield where it is not easy to integrate new patterns of behavior. Speed, strength, power and balance are necessary to power through the line but fear and old patterns take hold in these situations and one resorts to maladaptive techniques to try to manage the stress. 

Truthfully, I do not really know what I am talking about, I am not an authority on neuro-muscular conditioning under stressful situations. But, I know how difficult it is for me to change my style and can only imagine how difficult it is for Ridley as well.

I do not think you change a runner STYLE. What you do is to have the COACH coach they guy. Meaning - TWO, 2, to, too, (3-1), (1+1) ... Tee Double YOU OHHHH hands on the ball before you get through the hole and TWo, 2, to.... hands on the ball before contact even in open field.

It is funny hearing individuals here claim to be experts (1) quarterbacking (2) coaching (3) drafting (4) play calling (5) how you actually run the football.... etc etc. Of course we will all have our comments and ideas and thoughts and opinions on all things.. but to claim and speak with such complete authority and absoluteness on ALL things from single individuals... I speak not of simply the person I am repkying to who at least acknowledges some limitiations....

Ridley wont change his style. I do hope he and the coaches learn how to have him hold on to the ball. He is one of the top dozen starters in the league.

Having said that I still think Vereen IS a feature back talent and have always thought so. Just because he can catch doesnt mean he can take it between the tackles. Watch some of the Bills game for some examples. Vereen is more dangerous. Ridley tougher and perhaps mroe suited to certain packages and certains Ds. They are an excellent tandem. You do not throw the guy out without going further. Plus he is clearly a hard worker and gives a hard effort.

For me, I hope they figure this out. I do think he plays even this week. I do expect that if he fumbles he is taken off the field. I do expect if he cant be trusted he will see little to no time in the playoffs. If he holds on to the ball he will regain playing time. I do expect he is not done for the year... Not yet.

But come on guys, you can disagree with me but if you are going to dictate HOW a runner runs... well... come on...

[/QUOTE]

I must say for a guy who criticizes people who speculate and have opinions on a runner, you did nothing but speculate, and make assumptions over the length of the six paragraphs you wrote.

You made an opinion on Ridley not wanting to change his style (you know this?). Then you formed an opinion that Vareen can be a feature back - and lets not forget that is NOT what he plays in this offense - and lets also add you formed that opinion over a guy who has only completed five games in his three year career. Then you point to the Buffalo game as evidence of his ability to be a feature back...uhm, he is small, has durability problems and broke his arm in that very game....then proceeded to miss the next six or so games. Then you make an assumption/opinion on how the team will proceed with Ridley this week and the consequences of another fumble for him.

And who on here is going to "dictate" how a runner runs? What does that even mean? In order for me to dictate how Ridley runs, I'd have to be standing in front of him when he takes the hand off...or threaten to cut him if he doesn't run the way I want him to.

And honestly I really don't care if you're talking about me or anyone else, but criticize, speculate, make assumptions is what we do around here...it's what you just did as well:) I like putting smiley faces on stuff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not getting why people keep using the term "early". Ridley is on the backstretch of his 3rd year. He got benched in his first year for fumbling in the playoffs. You would think he might have gotten the message by now that this sort of behavior is going to get him booted from the NFL; but apparently that just can't sink in to his block-head.

[/QUOTE]

You keep talking about how Ridley fumbled in the playoffs And got benched. He was playing in garbage time as the pats were up like 42-7 on tebow. He only played gabrave time and the turnover didn't mean sh1t. He was in for like 5 plays the whole game. His fumble against baltimore people were tryingt o say he did his dumb spin. False. He ended up spinning after got was literally knocked unconscious. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well Belichick has spoken, Ridley inactive for today's game...might not be the only game either.