Why I think this team has what it takes to win big and make it to the super bowl.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Why I think this team has what it takes to win big and make it to the super bowl.

I agree just because I'm a homer and because this year it's wide open. There's no clear cut favorite to win anything; it'll honestly be the team that's hottest at the end. From November on, the Patriots historically have the best record in the NFL so I don't see why we'd all of a sudden start struggling in November.

The Steelers are the trendy pick right now because they're the one constant the media's come to expect while everything else is in flux. Two weeks ago, we were the trendy pick but suddenly, we can't do anything right. Remember, we played a close one against Buffalo and got hammered for it. Then, Buffalo almost upset Baltimore and they suddenly became the team that's close but just not finishing games.

I think getting in the big dance is important. What happens from then on is anyone's guess. The Colts entered in 2006/2007 with a run D that was going to get run over but they masked that flaw enough to get to the big game and win it. Last year, the Saints defense gave up about 26 points a game but still stopped teams when it counted (an eerie similarity to this year's Patriots team) and won it all. It's not who has the perfect/best team, it's who masks it the best and makes up for it with an above-average coach/QB duo. With Belichick and Brady you can't go wrong ther.e

I'm flying up for the Colts game too!! I hope we have a better homefield advantage than the Falcons did last night; for a prime time game in a dome with a 6-2 team, that was atrocious.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: Why I think this team has what it takes to win big and make it to the super bowl.

MVP,

There is no shame in being a homer nowadays. It is what the kids of today call people that used to be called fans 10 years ago.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

^^^

So true, dude.   Apparently, the teenie boppers of today call you a "homer" when you are a diehard, long time fan who is positive.

I am so glad I was born before the mid 1980s. 

So much is wrong with the generation that followed the Xers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Now this is my kinda thread.  All aboard the Super Bowl train.  Get on board or get the f*ck off!

Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cryochiller. Show cryochiller's posts

In Response to Re: Why I think this team has what it takes to win big and make it to the super bowl.:
    [QUOTE]Now this is my kinda thread.  All aboard the Super Bowl train.  Get on board or get the f*ck off!
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

All Aboard!!!! 

DOH!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

homer thats funny...   if we actually had a losing season or several.... you would here me saying sh*t needs to change...  but that is not the case....

as for last year getting bounced... there was the year in between the sb's and just after the superbowl that we did not go all the way so last year getting bounced is not that unsual seeing the qb was on the comback trail and the team was "retooling"

I like the term diehard fan... thats way more accurate...

these months are traditionally were bb teams get better... and this is big test for sure so lets see if we can still dominate in these type games as our recent history of this decade has indicated

ithink we learned how to win early on this year and now we need to learn how to win big games
    and this is the first this year in that category...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think this team can make it to the SB given the talent we have, and if no one else (critical to the team like Gostkowski) ends up on IR. There is no clear cut beast this year, so all is up for grabs at the moment. This would be a good time for the Pats to breakout and start firing on all cylinders. 

They have the talent, just need to learn how to harness it and start playing to our strengths. If the defense can become a bit more consistent and the offense can develop some rhythm, then I like this team heading into the playoffs, especially if we have homefield advantage...I see this as another key element in a possible run. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I can see the analogy to 2006.  I think we have more weapons than 2006, but I don't think Brady is playing as well.  I believe 2006 was the best year Brady ever had at QB.  Not because he broke records, but for what he did with so little.  

I think our next run begins next year, but I'm not going to bet against this team.  I'm having fun watching the team this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DynastyXXXVI. Show DynastyXXXVI's posts

In Response to Re: Why I think this team has what it takes to win big and make it to the super bowl.:
    [QUOTE]I think that if we win this week and then beat the Colts at home I would be willing to bet we win the whole thing this year. If we can beat those two teams and then maybe beat the Jets in the 2nd Jets game since we lost the first then we can beat anyone in the NFL.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I see this years SB winner as the team that gets real hot at the end of the year and rides it through the playoffs.  Can that be us?  Absolutely.  It is very wide open this year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssmilloy36. Show ssmilloy36's posts

better play calling in 2006

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

The answer is no and I'm a big fan of this team. They are likely going to be a first round playoff exit I'm afraid given what I've seen this year. 

I see a young talented team that will be ready for a sb run over the next couple of years especially if we land some great players in next year's draft which given the picks we should do. 

We cannot stop the run and we don't have a pass rush. The offense is good but it can no longer carry the team as it has in the past. The d has a lot of upside but it is vulnerable. We are a rung below championship level at this point but we are going to step up to that top rung perhaps next year or the year after. I'd say that's our window.

Maybe my mind gets changed about the 1st round exit if things really come together in the next 3-4 games. This team isn't going anywhere unless the defense can become dominant this year which I don't think happens. They have their bright spots and have shown they can make key plays but they are not stingy enough to compensate for our drop off in offense. 

Still there is a ray of hope as people pointed out above. There isn't really a purely dominating team this year. The top teams can be beat. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In Response to Why I think this team has what it takes to win big and make it to the super bowl.:
    [QUOTE]Because to me this team is reminding me of that 2006 team that lost in the AFC Championship. Now in 2006 it didnt end well but it could have. We had far less talent on offense that year then we do this year and I just think that if we almost did it with Caldwell and Gaffney as our wideouts and Ben Watson as the TE then we can do it this year the people we have. Now in 2006 we had a veteran defense to count on and this year we dont but, I see this defense being pretty good come playoffs. BB always say that by the time a young player hits the playoffs he cant be called a rookie anymore cause he has already played a full season. And if these guys get hot at the right time I honestly see them being a team no wants to play. I think that the Pats will take advantage of the Steelers over aggressiveness with screen plays and other heads up play and I think the D will stop the run and keep Big Ben in the pocket where he is not as good. And the Colts will not beat us at home. I will be at the game and I will be making noise from start to finish and I will take pride in telling my kid someday that I saw Brady and the Pats beat Manning and the Colts in Foxboro the year he (I hope) was born. Am I being a homer or do you agree that this could be the year we win it all?

killa, sounds about right. if anyone thinks your a homer, their a hommo. LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I am onboard, this team is just one click away from making something special happen. Brady will become more comfortable with his weapons and the defensive rookies will learn to work together. I expect the few veterans with playoff experience should take charge to motivate and drive this team.

I am a diehard, but I also like BB's philosophy. One game at a time, but I know we will at least make it to the AFC championship game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

With BB and TB we always have a chance to go far in the playoffs.  This year, unlike many others in recent history, there is really no clear front-runner.  Our Offense, with Taylor back in the mix and Brady spreading the ball to the "open" receiver is as good as any in the league.

What really has to come together between now and at the end of the year, is a more consistent pass rush.  If we can get to the QB on a more consistent basis, I think the Pats pass defense and 3rd down defense will improve significantly.

I really like the impact some of the 1st and 2nd year players are having.... players like Volmer, Chung, Spikes, McCourtney, Cunningham, Tate, Hernandez and Gronkowski are all contributing and they will improve at an accelerated rate.

While I would not bet the farm on a 2011 SB, I think they have a chance this year and will be even stronger next year!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i am still waiting for the pass rush...all the great offenses and great QBs were defeated by relentless pass rush
    manning
    greatest show on turf
    the 2007 pats
    etc.
    it's a big deal when the pass rush gets in the head of the qb. until we see that, we won't see brady on the field enough.

on offense, they have more talent than in any of their superbowl years. playcalling and execution on run blocking are what need to click.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

oh btw...my son played the 2001 season dvd the other night. it still amazes me that they won with patten, brown, a fb whose name is edwards (? i can't even remember his name - #44), a smith (he was good). hard to see how welker, the te's, tate won't get it done. talent-wise is a smith better than law firm?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

[QUOTE]oh btw...my son played the 2001 season dvd the other night. it still amazes me that they won with patten, brown, a fb whose name is edwards (? i can't even remember his name - #44), a smith (he was good). hard to see how welker, the te's, tate won't get it done. talent-wise is a smith better than law firm?
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]
    the talent in the league is also much better now, lets be honest. The Pats are competing and rookies wont always give you that confident feeling veterans, like our past SB teams, give you. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well, let's see . . .

They can't run the ball . . .

or stop the run.

The pass offense is erratic and Brady has shown some inconsistency.

They can't get after the quarterback and consistently surrender yardage in huge chunks.

Frankly, I don't see how anyone can stop them.

Cool

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Of course they have a shot at playing in Dallas in February. I'm not saying I'd bet the farm on it, but they have a better chance than most teams, IMO. The 01 team wasn't any type of frontrunner at this point in the season. They have the talent, the younger guys just need to keep improving. Certainly the team who has the hot hand after Thanksgiving is the team to watch. Sunday's game will be a good gauge. So will the Colts game next week. Even if they don't win both, they need to make a game out of it. And when the Jests come to Foxboro they need to step up. As for the inexperienced secondary, they won a SB with Randall Gay and Earthwind Moreland, with WR Troy Brown chipping in to help! These guys are talented, they just need to get consistent. I also think by the time the playoffs come around Branch will be fully on board if he's healthy. That will be a huge plus for Brady. Will they get it done? Only time will tell. They have arguably the best coach and QB in NFL history. If they don't do it this season they will be serious contenders in 2011 (and possibly beyond). But Lombardi or no, I'm behind these guys all the way. Call me a "homer" if you will. The pieces are there. They just need to put it all together. Test number one comes tomorrow night!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Why I think this team has what it takes to win big and make it to the super bowl.:
    [QUOTE]Because to me this team is reminding me of that 2006 team that lost in the AFC Championship. Now in 2006 it didnt end well but it could have. We had far less talent on offense that year then we do this year and I just think that if we almost did it with Caldwell and Gaffney as our wideouts and Ben Watson as the TE then we can do it this year the people we have. Now in 2006 we had a veteran defense to count on and this year we dont but, I see this defense being pretty good come playoffs. BB always say that by the time a young player hits the playoffs he cant be called a rookie anymore cause he has already played a full season. And if these guys get hot at the right time I honestly see them being a team no wants to play. I think that the Pats will take advantage of the Steelers over aggressiveness with screen plays and other heads up play and I think the D will stop the run and keep Big Ben in the pocket where he is not as good. And the Colts will not beat us at home. I will be at the game and I will be making noise from start to finish and I will take pride in telling my kid someday that I saw Brady and the Pats beat Manning and the Colts in Foxboro the year he (I hope) was born. Am I being a homer or do you agree that this could be the year we win it all?
    Were you the guy that predicted a Pats' victory last week? How did that turn out?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]To be honest I beleive any year we get to the dance we have a chance with the Coach we have, just because I think we are better prepared week to week but that goes up a notch in the playoffs, and guys are usually told to drop everything and put everything they have into film, gameplanning and getting better, so Yes, I will agree, but thats the case every year IMO. OF course it doenst always happen, but unless #12 went down, I will always like our chances in the playoff compared to other teams, but we have to prove that last year was a fluke on our Playoff resume.. "We dont really like Anyone, we like Ourselves and thats what we focus on every night"  - Ray Allen
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]
    I'll have to ask my close friend who is on the Pat's staff. See if all this is true. I'll get back to you on that one.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]I think that if we win this week and then beat the Colts at home I would be willing to bet we win the whole thing this year. If we can beat those two teams and then maybe beat the Jets in the 2nd Jets game since we lost the first then we can beat anyone in the NFL.
    Are you including the head bashing Giants?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]i am still waiting for the pass rush...all the great offenses and great QBs were defeated by relentless pass rush manning greatest show on turf the 2007 pats etc. it's a big deal when the pass rush gets in the head of the qb. until we see that, we won't see brady on the field enough. on offense, they have more talent than in any of their superbowl years. playcalling and execution on run blocking are what need to click.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

No, they were defeated by good pass coverage.