Why is Maroney (Mr. MVP) getting the ball?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Why is Maroney (Mr. MVP) getting the ball?

I'm looking at the 3Q stats...

Maroney has been handed the ball the most- 6 CAR; 7 YDS (5 LNG).  Lovely!  Just keep giving the ball to Mr. MVP! Yell

Honestly, he might have a decent carry for returns, but that's about it.  Is the RB experiement over? Undecided

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Why is Maroney (Mr. MVP) getting the ball?

It depends, Fred Taylor got touched up. If it's nothing serious Maroney might be done for a while. If Taylor isn't so fine, No. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghilliespotto. Show ghilliespotto's posts

I have to admit I'm one of the biggest Maroney apologists there is, but after several poor showings and especially today... I know he's valuable on kick returns but watching him try to run between the tackles is just painful. Get him in space as a receiver more and maybe he'll shine a little. Oh well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

He did nothing special on his kickoff returns either. I held out hope for too long on #39, but I seriously doubt he'll be a Pat in 2010.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

Taylor gets + yds. every time he touches the ball.100+ yd game last week,but we start Maroney.I don't get it.
    Why don't they use Taylor more often?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsPunter. Show PatsPunter's posts

In Response to Why is Maroney (Mr. MVP) getting the ball?:
    [QUOTE]I'm looking at the 3Q stats... Maroney has been handed the ball the most- 6 CAR; 7 YDS (5 LNG).  Lovely!  Just keep giving the ball to Mr. MVP! Honestly, he might have a decent carry for returns, but that's about it.  Is the RB experiement over?
    Posted by BTownExpress[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aces1. Show aces1's posts

He is pure garbage.  Hope to see him and galloway cut!  LOUSYNESS and dead weight!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Why is Maroney (Mr. MVP) getting the ball?:
    [QUOTE]I have to admit I'm one of the biggest Maroney apologists there is, but after several poor showings and especially today... I know he's valuable on kick returns but watching him try to run between the tackles is just painful. Get him in space as a receiver more and maybe he'll shine a little. Oh well.
    Posted by ghilliespotto[/QUOTE]

Been saying the same thing for years now ghilliespotto, and agree:  IF there's any saving grace for Maroney, It'll be to take over eventually in whatever century Faulk decides retire, As a 3rd down back.  His blocking used to be awful, but that's improved...just, He trully IS awful between the tackles as an every down RB...gotta get him the ball in the flat (or in a screen) on a passing down, or at worst, as a 3rd down draw play...  Still, any way you cut it, a 1st rd 3rd down scat-back=B-U-S-T.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

6 carries

3 of them were that same damn stretch play with three receivers and one tight end.

But if you opened your eyes and looked at the bigger picture, you'll realize that those stretch runs to Maroney set up the play action pass.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

[QUOTE]6 carries 3 of them were that same damn stretch play with three receivers and one tight end. But if you opened your eyes and looked at the bigger picture, you'll realize that those stretch runs to Maroney set up the play action pass.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]
    C'mon man,there is no way to defend negative yd runs and a  6 yd for 7 attempt performance from your starting RB.The way to open up the play action pass is to be an actual offensive threat.The bigger picture? Are you kidding me? Getting less than a yd per attempt by your starting RB is not a strategy that ANY football team wants to employ.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Maroney honestly has no clue what a hole looks like. It is indeed painfull watchin this guy at the line of scrimmage. So much potential and has th4e physical tools, but he just doesnt seem to have the vision.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]6 carries 3 of them were that same damn stretch play with three receivers and one tight end. But if you opened your eyes and looked at the bigger picture, you'll realize that those stretch runs to Maroney set up the play action pass.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

You mean you aren't supposed to gain yards on those plays? Hmm, that is news to me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpatsfan. Show soxpatsfan's posts

In Response to Why is Maroney (Mr. MVP) getting the ball?:
    [QUOTE]I'm looking at the 3Q stats... Maroney has been handed the ball the most- 6 CAR; 7 YDS (5 LNG).  Lovely!  Just keep giving the ball to Mr. MVP! Honestly, he might have a decent carry for returns, but that's about it.  Is the RB experiement over?
    Posted by BTownExpress[/QUOTE]

Maroney is the only kick off return man that jogs once he catches the ball.

He is also the only back the Pats have that goes either East-West or still dances.

The coaches have to had seen his pitiful performance today.  Good thing he planned to run hard.

Mad Jack

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Wasn't there an article in the Globe that ran the headline "Maroney getting ready to run hard against the Ravens"?  If that was his hard running he needs to be on the inactive list with Galloway.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CdnPatriot. Show CdnPatriot's posts

Maroney and Galloway are a bust, trade them!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is Maroney (Mr. MVP) getting the ball? : You mean you aren't supposed to gain yards on those plays? Hmm, that is news to me.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

Not quite.

If the defense knows that it's going to be a stretch play when Maroney is handed the ball, then there's going to be NOWHERE TO RUN.

I bet none of you people noticed Taylor get stuffed when he had to run that same play in the 3rd quarter.  Taylor ran stretch right from a 3WR-1TE formation, and got stuffed.

I don't have stats available because the play-by-play doesn't record whether it was play action, but I'm almost certain that two of Watson's catches (for 40+ yards combined) worked off of the play action.