Why'd they cut Zoltan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Why'd they cut Zoltan?

Sorry if I missed the discussion, but anyone have any insight into why they cut fan favorite Zoltan the Magnificent?  Reiss said Allen has a stronger leg but was less accurate.  Anyone have ay other insight?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

Re: Why'd they cut Zoltan?

In response to themightypatriots' comment:

Sorry if I missed the discussion, but anyone have any insight into why they cut fan favorite Zoltan the Magnificent?  Reiss said Allen has a stronger leg but was less accurate.  Anyone have ay other insight?

$$$$$$$

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

It was his last year of his rookie deal, and Pats really liked Allen who is now under contract for 4 years... simple as that. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to Section136's comment:

$$$$$$$

ditto............

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Makes sense.  Thanks!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

As youve seen, He isnt more accurate and his leg has looked good at times and he has shanked some. It was ALL about money. Not much, but the Krafts dont have a problem pinching pennies. Now maybe he be better in the longrun, but I didnt like the move at all and now I still dont. Just glad he hasnt messed up the hold on field goals. Seeing how much this team is gonna be punting early on, I think that may have been a mistake. Experience cant be taught and he was loved here....  tisk tisk

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

[QUOTE]

So they could re-up Nink.  

[/QUOTE]

LMAO!  You are a troll but you crack me up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Q. Hello Mike, I know Belichick puts an emphasis on all parts of the game. With that said how is Ryan Allen doing compared to his predecessor Zoltan Mesko and the rest of the league? Has he been progressing like the Patriots have hoped and was replacing Mesko still the smart move here? -- JP (Washington, D.C.)

A. JP, here are the bottom-line stats through three games:

* Allen: 20 punts, 43.9 average (25th in NFL); 40.0 net (20th in NFL)

* Mesko: 16 punts, 43.4 average (27th in NFL); 38.1 net (26th in NFL)

As we know, stats can sometimes be deceiving and there is an element of situational punting that can be so important and tie in to hidden yardage. I'd say Allen is a work in progress in that area.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

As youve seen, He isnt more accurate and his leg has looked good at times and he has shanked some. It was ALL about money. Not much, but the Krafts dont have a problem pinching pennies. Now maybe he be better in the longrun, but I didnt like the move at all and now I still dont. Just glad he hasnt messed up the hold on field goals. Seeing how much this team is gonna be punting early on, I think that may have been a mistake. Experience cant be taught and he was loved here....  tisk tisk

You just don't get it.  They buy on the way up.  Anyone wanting BB to pay Mesko 3.5-4 million is a moron.

Mesko is the better punter for now, but the logic is clearly sound.

Go look up what the COlquitts make. There's your reason. Any team paying a punter that salary with a flat cap is moronic.

I know WHY they did it buddy. I just dont agree with it. I am not asking him to RE sign him next year but whats wrong with letting his contract run out and see what he wants?? You can draft a punter every year. Normally I would say no biggie but you see our offense is struggling this year and we have been punting  A LOT! This should have been aniticpated IMO. Now we havent lost a game for it but in a game where he has to punt a lot, it may. I just think that in the past, we scored so much it wasnt a biggie. Going back to low scoring, defensive games, I would rather have my vet. punter. Like I said, not earth shattering and most likely not gonna cost us hopefully

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Reiss wrote that as well, but i was hoping that would at least answer a few questions.....

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Mesko would have needed a raise for next season.  Remember, one of the most important players on this Pats team is Cap Space.  Cap Space wins games.  Cap Space wins championships.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Mesko would have needed a raise for next season.  Remember, one of the most important players on this Pats team is Cap Space.  Cap Space wins games.  Cap Space wins championships.

Really???? Even after the Nink extension you still don't understand? McCourty, Spikes and Talib all are FA after this season... so they need that space to try and keep some of those players.  

They only had 7mill in cap space before extending nink, so i am not sure what's left.  

They need to keep Talib IMO.  I hope they come to some common ground before the year is done.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

You just don't get it.  They buy on the way up.  Anyone wanting BB to pay Mesko 3.5-4 million is a moron.

Go look up what the COlquitts make. There's your reason. Any team paying a punter that salary with a flat cap is moronic.

I know WHY they did it buddy. I just dont agree with it. I am not asking him to RE sign him next year but whats wrong with letting his contract run out and see what he wants?? You can draft a punter every year. Normally I would say no biggie but you see our offense is struggling this year and we have been punting  A LOT! This should have been aniticpated IMO. Now we havent lost a game for it but in a game where he has to punt a lot, it may. I just think that in the past, we scored so much it wasnt a biggie. Going back to low scoring, defensive games, I would rather have my vet. punter. Like I said, not earth shattering and most likely not gonna cost us hopefully

He's one of the best punters in the league and he wants to maximize his years in the league by being paid as such. His choice. 

Personally, I am glad we have a GM who doesn't get caught up in overpaying on the market.

Pitt will be unable to sign him with their cap issues, so he'll look to cash in with whoever comes calling. I thought he'd be here for years too. Oh well.

How do you know what he is asking for in terms of contract? Are we to assume they approached him with an extension and he turned it down? This is just reg. business like you said. Dont make it like he wanted ALL this money and we didnt want to pay him. When Willie lleft here most fans thought BB didnt want to pay him that much to  be a part time player when he signed with the Brown. What HE said is that the Pats never even contacted him and he just walked. Im not saying I know what happened, but YOU dont. Mesko is too much of a class act to say what happened so thats that. Mesko never struck me as the greedy type and I still dont know why you think we had to pay him 4 milly. So if he signs for less than 2 million next year, what does that mean?

My rift is WHY cant a player like Mesko be paid what he is worth? He showed up, did well, helped in community and gets axed as soon as they find a replacement but BB can go in the offseason and pay a bum like Ocho 3.5 million?!?  I mean whats the difference? Atleast Mesko actually punts when he is needed. We paid Ocho 3.5 million to catch exactly ONE meaningless catch per game!?  Wow and you agree with this logic?

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

He's one of the best punters in the league and he wants to maximize his years in the league by being paid as such. His choice. 

Personally, I am glad we have a GM who doesn't get caught up in overpaying on the market.

Pitt will be unable to sign him with their cap issues, so he'll look to cash in with whoever comes calling. I thought he'd be here for years too. Oh well.

How do you know what he is asking for in terms of contract? Are we to assume they approached him with an extension and he turned it down? This is just reg. business like you said. Dont make it like he wanted ALL this money and we didnt want to pay him. When Willie lleft here most fans thought BB didnt want to pay him that much to  be a part time player when he signed with the Brown. What HE said is that the Pats never even contacted him and he just walked. Im not saying I know what happened, but YOU dont. Mesko is too much of a class act to say what happened so thats that. Mesko never struck me as the greedy type and I still dont know why you think we had to pay him 4 milly. So if he signs for less than 2 million next year, what does that mean?

My rift is WHY cant a player like Mesko be paid what he is worth? He showed up, did well, helped in community and gets axed as soon as they find a replacement but BB can go in the offseason and pay a bum like Ocho 3.5 million?!?  I mean whats the difference? Atleast Mesko actually punts when he is needed. We paid Ocho 3.5 million to catch exactly ONE meaningless catch per game!?  Wow and you agree with this logic?

Stop trolling with the Ocho garbage.  That has no effect on the cap management moving forward, especially when you have Edelman, Thompkins, Dobson or maybe a Sudfeld in here.

I could see if they had no other answers to offset mistakes like an Ochocinc contract, which is so overrated by types like you it's comical, but they do have answers.

The difference is, if Mesko is asking for 3-4 mil per, which is quite possible and the reason BB walked, it handicaps BB's leverage with a Ninkovich. A McCouty. A Talib.

Their agents are going to sit there and say "You just paid the punter 3 million and you only can/will want to offer my guy 5 million"?

Explain to the board how Ninkovich is worth 5 mil per and Mesko is 3-4 million?  Yes. The Colquitts make 3.5-4 million.  They're good punters, but not better than Mesko.   

This is no different than when the Saints paid Evans 9 million and Mankins flipped out.  As if it matters if there is a million difference because Mickey Loomis is dumb with his cap management?

All of a sudden now, we need to be overpaying for punters?  Laughable.

You shouldn't have a rift with BB not applying the Al Davis school of cap management.  Janikowksi or Lechler were the highest paid at their craft in this league for years. Each is top flight, but do those positions impact the roster on a large scale? NO.

Please learn about how BB applies $$ to which positions and why it works.  Anyone clamoring for Al Davis cap logic has a screw loose.

Heck, who knows..Maybe when Mesko goes to FA and he realizes NE is the best option, he comes back next year at a more reasonable price?

No you are right. Thats a different discussion. Ocho is gone and so is the 3.5 million. My point was if they can just throw around money to bum free agents, whats wrong with paying a guy who you KNOW produces?? No Loyalty. Mesko is NOT gonna come beggin back to us next year. The ship has sailed and he have to HOPE Allen fills the same role for the next 4 years until he gets axed.

Serious question now. Do you think the Pats have made an offer already to McCourty and where would you put in terms of asking price cuz THIS I gotta know. A converted CB to S who hasnt played the position a full year yet and has looked just average next to Gregory so far this year. Do you really think he cant command top safety money with his resume? Is he too important to let go in your opinion? Outside of his speed at the FS and his supposed smarts I dont see why we should break the bank for him. Why cant Harmon step in for him next year? and why didnt E.Wilson get an offer?

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think they sat in a conference room and discussed paying Ocho that amount so he could catch one ball per game. I do a lot of hiring and sometimes you hit big but most of the time - wow, you wonder what the heck you were thinking.

A two time Ray Guy winner is not a slouch! Patience can be a virtue!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

Really???? Even after the Nink extension you still don't understand? McCourty, Spikes and Talib all are FA after this season... so they need that space to try and keep some of those players.  

They only had 7mill in cap space before extending nink, so i am not sure what's left.  

They need to keep Talib IMO.  I hope they come to some common ground before the year is done.  

[/QUOTE]

It won't happen with Talib. Talib signed the 1 year deal for leverage. He won't give that up now. The good news is, fewer teams may be bidding on him in fear he may act up in their organization as opposed to NE's.

Skins were the only team to be aggressive for him this offseason.  Flat cap this offseason and this above, plays into BB's hands, but all it takes is one team to be stupid and overwhelm the player.

Something tells me, NE will provide a good offer and it will be up to Talib to make the choice that is best for his own future in terms of structure, environment, chance to win.

[/QUOTE]

Right... Hoping it's sooner than later...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Section136's comment:

I don't think they sat in a conference room and discussed paying Ocho that amount so he could catch one ball per game. I do a lot of hiring and sometimes you hit big but most of the time - wow, you wonder what the heck you were thinking.

A two time Ray Guy winner is not a slouch! Patience can be a virtue!

thanks for the context. I agree.  Its not a hughe deal being a punter but the Ocho thing. I just dont get. Anything you found out once he was here could have been researched. Did they not call Marvin lewis? DId they find out what kind of offense they ran? Did they NOT see an Old *ss TO playing MUCH better in the SAME offense that Ocho played in for years. Did they not See Carson NOT throwing to Chad anymore. Didnt BB have OCho in the pro bowl. HE didnt pick up anything there. HE didnt know Chad was a twitter HO and a selfish player who used to call out Dbs before the game with Pepto Bismol to the chagrin of his teamates?? You just throw 3.5 million to him??  Im sorry, BB has resources, and he didnt use them or ignored them

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Stop trolling with the Ocho garbage.  That has no effect on the cap management moving forward, especially when you have Edelman, Thompkins, Dobson or maybe a Sudfeld in here.

I could see if they had no other answers to offset mistakes like an Ochocinc contract, which is so overrated by types like you it's comical, but they do have answers.

The difference is, if Mesko is asking for 3-4 mil per, which is quite possible and the reason BB walked, it handicaps BB's leverage with a Ninkovich. A McCouty. A Talib.

Their agents are going to sit there and say "You just paid the punter 3 million and you only can/will want to offer my guy 5 million"?

Explain to the board how Ninkovich is worth 5 mil per and Mesko is 3-4 million?  Yes. The Colquitts make 3.5-4 million.  They're good punters, but not better than Mesko.   

This is no different than when the Saints paid Evans 9 million and Mankins flipped out.  As if it matters if there is a million difference because Mickey Loomis is dumb with his cap management?

All of a sudden now, we need to be overpaying for punters?  Laughable.

You shouldn't have a rift with BB not applying the Al Davis school of cap management.  Janikowksi or Lechler were the highest paid at their craft in this league for years. Each is top flight, but do those positions impact the roster on a large scale? NO.

Please learn about how BB applies $$ to which positions and why it works.  Anyone clamoring for Al Davis cap logic has a screw loose.

Heck, who knows..Maybe when Mesko goes to FA and he realizes NE is the best option, he comes back next year at a more reasonable price?

No you are right. Thats a different discussion. Ocho is gone and so is the 3.5 million. My point was if they can just throw around money to bum free agents, whats wrong with paying a guy who you KNOW produces?? No Loyalty. Mesko is NOT gonna come beggin back to us next year. The ship has sailed and he have to HOPE Allen fills the same role for the next 4 years until he gets axed.

Serious question now. Do you think the Pats have made an offer already to McCourty and where would you put in terms of asking price cuz THIS I gotta know. A converted CB to S who hasnt played the position a full year yet and has looked just average next to Gregory so far this year. Do you really think he cant command top safety money with his resume? Is he too important to let go in your opinion? Outside of his speed at the FS and his supposed smarts I dont see why we should break the bank for him. Why cant Harmon step in for him next year? and why didnt E.Wilson get an offer?

It's a business. Either the numbers match or they don't. DO you really want BB overpaying for a punter? Really?

Sometimes you have to make the tough decisions. It's like DOnald Thomas. Very good reserve Guard or starter.  What happened? They walked. Why? Leverage. Thomas used his, BB used his. Nothing personal, but time to move on, based on the circumstances. 

It's like you're angry BB has it and maintains a generally very good balance here.

McCourty? BB loves the guy. He's not even due after this year, necessarily, but I can see them having talks after the season, assuming he plays well this year, which so far, he has.

The beauty of resigning McCourty is, we don't need to "break the bank" for him.  He'll want to stay here, BB will offer something that is very attractive, but not some bloated Goldson deal.

1. McCourty isn't Goldson level

2. McCourty isn't far off from Goldson level.

3. McCourty's offer will be much less than Goldson's.

Probably in the 5 mil per range.

PS LAST TIME on Ocho: HE WAS NOT A FA!  They weren't "throwing money around". BB forced OChoc to take a 50% paycut before trading for him in order to show commitment from Ochocinco.

sorry my bad. He did get the 3.5 tho' right? My point stands,. He went after a player most people knew was a self promoter, not a team guy. Twitter Ho and not known to be to be too bright.....BUT BB liked the guy, He was Funny! He blew BB away the game where he came on and kicked an extra point. At that moment, BB sprung a woody. Im surprised BB didnt try him out at any other positions. You commit ALL that and then dont play the guy. As you say, It was Brady that kept him on the bench right? You dont think it was because the guy was too dumb to learn the offense. Miami didnt even want him. ...

In terms of McCourty. He is far from Goldson who can cover AND hit. McCourty hasnt used that shoulder YET to hit someone and thats concerning cuz I feel he isnt 100 %.

I based my question on most fans here saying WE NEED MONEY TO SIGN McCOURTY this year and now I hear he isnt even up yet?! What gives?  Im glad if its true. I was not on the wagon of overspending for a guy who hasnt even played a year at it. So far he hasnt done anything to warrant big money for playing safety. So WHY do we always caution paying players who are good but Most people here want McCourty locked up longterm and he hasnt even played a full season?  Homers I tell ya. Goldson could have been had on a one year/2.5 mill deal and then negotiate while playing. We let him walk and now we are gonna pay McCourty that money!?!  I hope not.

Btw, his Bro sure does look good as a cover CB in Tennessee. Im sure Jason will let him come over his house in the offseason and chill. He got Paid top CB money.