Wildcat?????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Wildcat?????

I'm reading a lot of posts here about the wildcat that Miami made the "new fad" last season. I've seen that these types of plays taken from the NCAA tend to be short lived. Yet it seems many are expecting it to become a new staple in the NFL, even arguing that that piece of garbage Vick should be brought in to run it! Thought I'd do a poll to see what the overall opinion of this is. Also, please post your reasoning on why or why not you think it will stick in the NFL.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Re: Wildcat?????

I cast the first vote for option 4, it was a passing fad. Even if it is used by some teams I doubt NE would use it with any regularity. With the offense we have in Foxboro I see no need for "trick" plays!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Bub - we may not use the wildcat, but trick plays are a staple of our offense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

I think some teams will use it. But it's my opinion that to really be effective you need a quarterback to take the snap and run the play. You must be able to throw the ball. Letting running backs or even former qb's turned wr or rb run the play just won't cut it any more. You need someone who can make the correct decision and throw accurately and more importantly know when to throw it and not get picked off. I don't think a rb can make that important decision. He wants to run it first. That's what he does best. But if you can't throw out of that formation, well we saw how effective that play was the second time we played Miami.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Take ricky's point about the second time we played Miami a step further. Against a good defense that was prepared for it, the Dolphins totally flamed against Baltimore in the playoffs. Gimmicks and gadgets are all well and good as appetizers and dessert, but you can't expect to make it through an entire season with smoke and mirrors as your primary diet. Miami was able to parlay the elements of surprise and unpredictablility, and a freakishly easy schedule (much like the Pats) into an 11-5 season and a division title by the hair of their chinny chin chins. That is not going to happen again; nor do I expect very many teams to employ the single wing as anything more than an occasional sneak attack. I have no doubt that parachute pants and "Members Only" jackets still exist, but I don't see people wearing them around town.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

In Response to Re: Wildcat?????:
    [QUOTE]Take ricky's point about the second time we played Miami a step further. Against a good defense that was prepared for it, the Dolphins totally flamed against Baltimore in the playoffs. Gimmicks and gadgets are all well and good as appetizers and dessert, but you can't expect to make it through an entire season with smoke and mirrors as your primary diet. Miami was able to parlay the elements of surprise and unpredictablility, and a freakishly easy schedule (much like the Pats) into an 11-5 season and a division title by the hair of their chinny chin chins. That is not going to happen again; nor do I expect very many teams to employ the single wing as anything more than an occasional sneak attack. I have no doubt that parachute pants and "Members Only" jackets still exist, but I don't see people wearing them around town.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

I just had a flash back to 1982.  I had a black Leather MO jacket and Black Parachute Pants and The Store at the mall to shop at was Merry Go Round.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

It all depends on the personel. Nebraska could run the option play because they had the O Line to do it successfully and an option QB like Turner Gill (last century's Michael Bishop). Does anyone need to see this play again ? Not with the current defense we have. If you have the personel to run the spread, then do it ? If can get the pass protection and you can make the reads then do it. Any time an offense becomes redundent or predictable it is in danger of becoming emulated or obsolete. College coaches that were unable to accurately assess their personal or adapt their offenses accordingly get fired when the try to install them without the personal. In the first Giants game BB successfully used the trap twice. Once for 13 yard gain and later for a 4yrd TD. This time around the Pats have the personel to run a successful ground game (read win the field position game) and a passing game to complement the  ground game (use the 3 or 4 wide sets/run the Spread More TEs). The Pats OC should be up to the task. Don't confuse gimmicks with formations. If you have the stones run a play successfully don't flog it like a day old donut. Store it in the memory and use what works vs. the opponent you're facing. Tailor the game plan swiftly for the opponent and then install personelle to execute the play. You don't need to be Auric Goldfinger to figure out the wildcat; the Patriots have the personel to stop the wildcat. It has been proven.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

There are no trick plays. All plays are called because of what the defense is doing that day or has become predicated on doing.

The flea flicker was once a trick play but we all know it is there because of the defense that over plays the run consistently.

Pittsburgh pretty much ran the wildcat all the time a few years back with (I forget the QB's name). If you think about it Vick pretty much ran the wild cat in Atlanta.
    The problem I see is having to use specialized players not your normal QB to run it.
    Once a defense sees it enough it no longer becomes anything special.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Forget the wildcat, NE should run the option. LOL.

Seriously, I think it will be used some more this year, less next year, and then go to the wayside.

In order to make that effective the team would need to invest serious training time and selections (draft) to stock it up. I think any football scheme can work, but spread type Offenses seem to be the most productive thing within modern rules, so it will be tough to compete with that, especially when people look for their Wildcat pieces in the bottom of NFL junkpiles.

I would rather see someone try the Ninja formation!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

The wildcat is a fad, but probably won't go away completely.  I see it as adding another wrinkle in the offense for a defense to figure out; albeit not a very big wrinkle.  Once the defensive coordinators become fully adjusted to it, the results of any "wildcat" plays will be no better than other types of plays.  Of course, your personnel strengths and weaknesses can make some types of plays better or worse for your particular team.  Buddy Ryan's 46 was a great example of that.  Although a system, and not just a type of play, he found out you can only pull it off if you have exactly the right players.  The wildcat may have a "little bit" of that characteristic.

I think some fans were making the wildcat out to be the greatest innovation since the forward pass.  That is hardly the case.  That is one reason why I didn't understand the fascination with Vick.  Mr. Kraft put it best, we have the best QB in football, why would you want to take him off the field for one play?  Anyway, do you think the other team might suspect a "wildcat" play had Brady left the field to be replaced by Vick?

I expect a lot of teams to try the wildcat this year.  I expect it to have far less success this year.  Heck, it's success wasn't anything that special by the end of last year.  It's just another type of play that can be called; nothing more and nothing less.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

You won't see the Wildcat offense being used in New England ! Why would you even want to take Brady out of the QB position for even 1 play a game unless the game has been decided and its garbage time...