Wilfork feels disrespected if tagged for 7 million

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: Wilfork feels disrespected if tagged for 7 million

The more I read about it, VW, the more I get convinced we are about to loss a top NT in the game. 

In order to be trade VW needs to sign the franchise letter which will not be easy unless a little of a under the table talk takes place.  Meaning a verbla agreement between the Pats another team and then telling Vince the minute you sign you will be traded and team A will make you a top 5 paid DL. 

If anyone thinks this does not happen wake up and smell the NFL.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/pierce/2010/01/vince_ability.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Has anyone started the rumor about Vince's new Tattoo yet?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

"he doesnt want to get tagged because that is a one year deal, what if he gets injured next season? then this next contract would be much less than what he would get paid if he signed a longer extension this season that if we game him the Tag now"

One the other hand what if he's injured after receiving a new contract with huge up front money. I always have to laugh at people who fail to see that the owners take as big a chance as the players. Besides his union negotiated the franchise tag. Ever since then players who don't like being tagged have screwed with the teams that tagged them. Yet they want the owners to negotiate with them on the premise that they will honor the agreement reached.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Just pay the man. He's a very valuable part of our defense, and good NTs aren't so easy to find. Why risk losing him? Why create (another) need? Pay him what he's worth, and use to the draft to fill other needs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Vince played admirably through his entire 6-year rookie contract.  Even though 6-year contracts were subsequently ruled unfair, he didn't hold out and demand a new contract as many others do.  In my book, he has earned the right to get his long term deal, or big payday.  Whether or not he gets it from the Pats is another matter, but he has earned it.  I understand not liking the franchise tag.  Although it makes you a lot of money for a year, all of the risk is on the player.  If he gets injured, he's SOL.  

Welker has even changed my mind on "some" players who hold out with time still on their contract.  Welker has WAY OUTPERFORMED his contract.  Any lesser player would have held out for a new deal.  He took the high road and now what?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

First: 8/11/2005
    Last: 2/2/2010
    Just pay the man. He's a very valuable part of our defense, and good NTs aren't so easy to find. Why risk losing him? Why create (another) need? Pay him what he's worth, and use to the draft to fill other needs.
    The problem is that he want more than what he is worth.....What now?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

First: 9/15/2009
    For all who keep saying that he should put up or shut up, I am just saying that he honored the 6 year agreement and played for pennies. He was a loyal soldier and gave his 100% and if we cannot award loyality like that, then we should let me sign elsewhere, where he feels that he is being paid accordingly. I am sure he will be tagged and if Pats have interesting suitor, who is willing to part with a 1st round and sign him to a new contract, he will have no issues in signing the tender. Things happened very smoothly for Cassel and it may work out the same for us. According to few rumors, Oakland, Chiefs and Tampa would be the target.
    Um, he signed the contract...he should have played the whole thing out.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Did Wilfork feel disrespected when he got pancaked by a single lineman on the biggest play of the 2006 season?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spXpM0mOA5k

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

Nobody could run up the middle when Ted Washington patrolled the NT position.  To think Vince can't be replaced is laughable.  I say offer a contract in the 8-9 million per year range and be done with it.  I would much rather have a DE that could actually put pressure on the QB than a great run stuffer.  Lets hope Brace can step up his game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

First: 7/10/2009
    What you make and athlete can make are apples to oranges. When will you pink hat fans realize that? Oh wait...I'm sure all of you would take less money at your job because some people are better at it then you. Pleaase. Half of you are probably vastly overpaid for the job that you do compared to the amount of people on earth that can do your job. How many NFL players are there? How many people on earth can do that job at an elite level?How many people can do your job? Do the math

Even more reason that he sould suck-it up.....accept what the players association has agreed to with the tag......and shut up!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

m1021us "Um, he signed the contract...he should have played the whole thing out....."

Not all players 'honor' the contract. They always hold out and ask for more money. Six year contract was not a good one, so CBA has done away with it. VW has my respect for not holding out in 4th or 5th year and playing out his contract and hoping for a new one.

He gained respect for playing out a contract that he signed?  Why?  He signed it.  Any respect that I had for him went out the window when he made the threat if he got tagged......he can kiss my buttocks!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

posted at 2/2/2010 10:54 PM EST

@m1021us
    Seems like you have been passed over for promotion at work repeatedly and hence taking out your frustration in this forum.

Is there any cause for this?  Why can't we be nice to each other?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

First: 8/29/2009
    Last: 2/3/2010

posted at 2/2/2010 10:54 PM EST

@m1021us
    Seems like you have been passed over for promotion at work repeatedly and hence taking out your frustration in this forum.

Is there any cause for this?  Why can't we be nice to each other?
    Don't worry about him.....he obviously knows nothing about me or about how a business runs......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Everyone does realize that this is exactly the kind of stuff the NFL wants to happen with the cap. It keeps a single team from staying better than the rest for long periods.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

First of all, there are teams willing to pay Wilfork guaranteed money for multiple years. If any of you worked for 6 years on an underpaid contract without saying a word, then it comes time for your payoff, and the company says, "We only want to go year to year." What would you say? Nevermind the money, he plays football, where they make millions, get over it. After everything he has done for this team, showing up to off season activities, practices, meetings, games, always giving his all and NEVER causing problems...yes, he DESERVES a multiple year deal. Most of us in the 'regular' world don't have people willing to bid millions for our services. Also, most of us don't work in a place where we can make our owners millions of dollars also. Nobody is wearing a shirt with any of our names on the back. Where was all the backlash when Seinfeld's cast stopped working for the same reason? They all wanted more money per episode because 750,000 per wasn't enough. And for the record, I don't recall Vince ever bringing family into this, Asante Samuel's dumas did, but those were not Vince's words. The guy has been nothing but a true professional, and (amazing to believe in this day in sports) a solid role model. He is invested in the community, he works hard, he's a man of his word. Now, he wants to be treated the same. To bash this guy is pathetic. Sorry if we're all struggling to find work (as I know I am), but he lives under different circumstances. If you can't get a grip on that, go watch Pop Warner level football, because even at the college level, these guys get paid. Whether literally, or with 500,000 dollar educations that they mostly give away. Stop the whining, he does DESERVE long term, and the franchise tag would be insulting. That being said, it's almost a 100% guarantee they use it, and he'll have to play given the looming lockout in 2011. Crappy situation for Vince, one of the few athletes who do it the right way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

I wish my work would disrespect me with an 80% pay increase.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Vince should be complaining to the players union for agreeing to the Tag....I don't want to hear anything about being disrespected.....that is BS and smells like that idiot Pedro.....

CRY ME A RIVER!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

VW is crying now....that is the problem.....I really don't care that he wasn't crying during his rookie contract.....he signed it and he should be expected to play upder that contract.

Wasn't the tag designed to help both the player and the team?  The player ends up getting guranteed money on the average of the top 5 salaries of that position....If he is a Top 5 player then he will be getting paid like one .  He went from 2.2 million this year and will be getting 7 million next year......Wow, I want that % for my next raise!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'm tired of "disrespect"  Play or don't play.  The team looks at what they need to do, and from Lawyer Milloy to Ty Law to Matt Cassel, they make the decisions they believe are the right ones, and live with the result.  I personally didn't think much of Asante Samuel for the last 2 years of his time here, and was happy to see him go.  Others don't agree.  BUT his whining about being "disrespected"  because we wouldn't pay him 60 million to leave his assignment and go freelancing for INT's is mind boggling to me.  I HATE HATE HATE this whole fake "gotta feed my family" posturing.  Play or DO NOT play. But shut up about it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I think this comes down to two simple questions...

1. Do the Patriots feel they can replace him with a cheaper player and spend the money elsewhere on the defense lets say for a big time DE/OLB?

2. Are the Patriots worried about any health issues with Vince?

I think the answer is yes to number 1 if he doesn't agree to an amount they want, and only the Patriots know the answer to #2 though I tend to think his long term health will be ok. The only question left is do you want to lose him for nothing? I say the Patriots won't just let him walk they will want something in return which means he is tagged and they either reach a long term deal or he is dealt so they get something in return. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Some of you guys just refuse to see the big picture from the players perspective.  He's at a crucial point in his career.  He's established himself as one of the best at his position.  He has the potential to make anywhere from 30-40 million if he signs a long term contract now whether it be with the Pats or elsewhere.  He wants that contract with the Pats, he wants to stay.  But he wants to be able to tie up that big contract while doing it. 

If the Pats franchise him it is their way of saying "You are right, you are valuable and we are going to give you 7 million to prove it and we'll re-address your contract next year".  While a good business move for the Pats, I can see why any player would consider that a slap in the face.  Because that move while it helps the Pats, only hurts the player.  They are one year older, they are one play away from an injury.  The money they could get now may not be the money they could get later.  He has a valid argument.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

TO RON- THERE IS A WORD- DISREPECT. IT IS A NOUN. NOUNS DON'T DO ANYTHING- THEY ARE SUBJECT'S IN  SENTENCES.YOU  CAN ALSO DISRESPECT SOME ONE, OR SOMETHING. A PERSON CAN FEEL DISREPECT FROM SOME ONE ELSE. THINK THAT IS WHAT YOU MEAN. SO MUCH FOR THE ENGLISH LESSON. SO WILFOLK IS FEELING DISREPECT FROM MANAGEMENT/BB. SO FAR, HE HAS NOT SAID ANYTING LIKE THAT. IT IS OTHERS, BUTINSKI'S THAT ARE MOUTHING OFF. I AM NOT HAPPY WITH BB, MANAGEMENT EITHER. THEIR PAYROLL IS ONE OF THE LOWEST IN THE NFL, AND IT IS OVERDUE TO OPEN IT UP, IF THE PATRIOTS ARE GOING TO BE SP/ COMPETITIVE AGAIN. NO OTHER WAY--- THE'RE "DEFENSE", RE BEING FRUGAL-- "WE WON 3 SUPER BOWLS DOING THINGS THE WAY WE ARE DOING THEM NOW-- DRADING DOWN OFTEN TO GAIN ADDITIONAL DRAFT CHOICES, PASSING UP HIGH DRAFT CHOICES, ESPECIALLY THOSE THAT GET BIG, LOTS OF  PRESS, AND, WE ARE ACTIVE IN FREE AGENCY" TRUE BUT NOTHING STAYS THE SAME. THAT POLICY INCLUDED. IF NOT??- THEN WE WILL SEE BB AVOIDING THE BIG PRESS DRAFTEES, LIKE HE DID IN THE 3 MOST RECENT DRAFTS( ALL THOSE LB'S AND DE'S TAKEN IN LAST YEAR'S FIRST 2 ROUNDS)- THEN, AFTER THOSE, ABOUT 7 OR 8 ARE GONE, HE DRAFTS MCKENZIE IN ROUND 3.  IF HE CONTINUES AS USUAL, IT WILL BE A BAD 2010 SEASON. GUARANTEED.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Just go away fatso.  I want players who want to win and don't associate money with respect.  It must be a U thing where they recruit out of the Florida Juvenile Correctional System.