Will Collins become the biggest X factor on D?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Will Collins become the biggest X factor on D?

Don't know who the next Pats opponent is (and potential opponent after that)...But if that's in the cards and two TE's we have to play are Julius Thomas and Vernon Davis....then Collins is going to have an absolutely huge role.

I'm getting way too hyped on him....

But if Mayo and more importantly, Wilfork, can come back and be themselves next season....

We might have a top 5 defense.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Re: Will Collins become the biggest X factor on D?

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't know who the next Pats opponent is (and potential opponent after that)...But if that's in the cards and two TE's we have to play are Julius Thomas and Vernon Davis....then Collins is going to have an absolutely huge role.

But if Mayo and more importantly, Wilfork, can come back and be themselves next season....

[/QUOTE]

i think he could be. hes one of those guys who went to a smaller school and didnt get the publicity if he had gone to a top program  the guy can flat out play and should improve each week. id bet that hes one of the fastest lb in the nfl. he is going to make plays in so many ways. sack.. force fumble.. interceptions..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

He looks like franchise LB, dare I say Urlacher type of player. He can do everything asked of him

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Mayo's still the best LB on the team and will be for a while, but Collins is no joke. He's a beast and with Mayo in there, these two are going to be flying from sideline to sideline.

Put Hightower behind Vince and Siliga and watch him dominate the middle of the field.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Collins is better than Mayo. Faster and bigger

Collins was all over the field last night making plays i don't think Mayo could have made.

I was sold on the his interception.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Collins was all over the field last night making plays i don't think Mayo could have made.

[/QUOTE]

Mayo is better against the run and Collins knows how to play every position hence why he's better in coverage, but Mayo is better.

Collins may be taller, but Mayo is bigger. They're both 250 pounds.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

BTW, Mayo runs a 4.56 and Collins runs a 4.59...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Haha. You had me at interception. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

[QUOTE]

Mayo is better against the run and Collins knows how to play every position hence why he's better in coverage, but Mayo is better.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, not to disagree, because I think Mayo a standout talent. But what's been so surprising is how well Collins has defended the run. He had two more TFLs last night, bringing his total to 4 in the last few weeks. 

He graded out just slightly better against the run than Mayo on the season. 

I think they are both great players: though much has to be seen from Collins in the way of consistency. 

But last night was a coming out party (his first full game in terms of snaps all season) for Collins like we haven't seen in a while. 

When was the last time a between the tackles linebacker took over a playoff game ike that? Tedy Bruschi 2004 against the Eagles?

They seem to have different strengths, but Collins looks like he is more athletic to me. And more instinctive, which is the key. 

Mayo, he is the unquestioned intellectual leader of the defense at this point, and as reliable a defender over the middle as anyone in football. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Collins looks like the much faster player on the field, there is a difference between.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Collins looks like the much faster player on the field, there is a difference between.

[/QUOTE]

Collins is more athletic, no doubt, but Mayo is just a better player. Mayo is a tackling machine, Collins is more a effective in the passing game, but you can't compare what Mayo does to what Collins does.

One guy plays DE, SS, OLB while the other guy is a pure stand up LB. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Collins is more athletic, no doubt, but Mayo is just a better player. Mayo is a tackling machine, Collins is more a effective in the passing game, but you can't compare what Mayo does to what Collins does.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, just pointing out that speed times aren't always a good measuring stick out on the field.  I like Mayo and I like what I am seeing in Collins.  Win/Win, imo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually, not to disagree, because I think Mayo a standout talent. But what's been so surprising is how well Collins has defended the run. He had two more TFLs last night, bringing his total to 4 in the last few weeks. 

I think they are both great players: though much has to be seen from Collins in the way of consistency. 

But last night was a coming out party (his first full game in terms of snaps all season) for Collins like we haven't seen in a while. 

When was the last time a between the tackles linebacker took over a playoff game ike that? Tedy Bruschi 2004 against the Eagles?

They seem to have different strengths, but Collins looks like he is more athletic to me. And more instinctive, which is the key. 

Mayo, he is the unquestioned intellectual leader of the defense at this point, and as reliable a defender over the middle as anyone in football. 

[/QUOTE]

Collins doesnt have a big enough sample size

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Collins doesnt have a big enough sample size

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's why I said this: "I think they are both great players: though much has to be seen from Collins in the way of consistency. "

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Mayo has been a great LB for us, but Collins is the type of LB we've needed for a long time. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Copy and paste this in your browser...

http://speedendurance.com/2013/03/12/nfl-combine-most-impressive-standing-long-jump/

Collins is an athletic freak, but was clearly a developmental guy coming out. Well BB developed him. I rememember the same "crew" here telling us he was a bust earlier in the year. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

Mayo has been a great LB for us, but Collins is the type of LB we've needed for a long time. 

[/QUOTE]

Why is it one or the other? Why is it Mayo is great BUT?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I want the guy who is a hybrid who I know can sack the QB, tackle the RB and intercept a pass off a TE.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, just pointing out that speed times aren't always a good measuring stick out on the field.  I like Mayo and I like what I am seeing in Collins.  Win/Win, imo.

[/QUOTE]

+1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Mayo's still the best LB on the team and will be for a while, but Collins is no joke. He's a beast and with Mayo in there, these two are going to be flying from sideline to sideline.

Put Hightower behind Vince and Siliga and watch him dominate the middle of the field.

I've been saying this all year.  Hightower needs to be put in a position where he can play more downhill and have less responsibility, ala Spikes.  That's where he thrives, and with a healthy Mayo and hopefully the up and coming Collins, he will be able to do what he does best and dominate the middle of the field. 

I'm most excited about the prospect of having the most dangerous linebacking core in the NFL next year.  Mayo is the signal calling tackling machine, and with Hightower having a reduced role and playing downhill, and Collins playing all over the place and being allowed to utilize that speed and athletisism, I can easily see us having a dominat defense.  Can you just imagine Wilfork coming back to form and Armsted showing us even half of what we were hoping from him?  Holy moly. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

He already is the X-factor. This kid is a physical freak. Runs, hits, plays fast like we saw last night. Sometimes losing a player reveals a better one. JC will be a factor for the next two games and a star in the NFL in the very near future. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

He already is the X-factor. This kid is a physical freak. Runs, hits, plays fast like we saw last night. Sometimes losing a player reveals a better one. JC will be a factor for the next two games and a star in the NFL in the very near future. 

YEP!  Right on!  You posted this yesterday when we were discussing this in the other Spikes thread.  You said Collins will make us forget about Spikes... Spikes who? LOL!  Awesome game last night!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

YEP!  Right on!  You posted this yesterday when we were discussing this in the other Spikes thread.  You said Collins will make us forget about Spikes... Spikes who? LOL!  Awesome game last night!!

I'm so stoked about where we sit right now. Youth playing like this at this level and at this time of year is special. With CJ, JC, DMC, Ryan, Talib, Hightower, Dennard, and a returning Mayo, we have the potential for 7-8 Pro bowl players on one side of the ball and a nucleus on D for years to come. Two more games baby!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why is it one or the other? Why is it Mayo is great BUT?

[/QUOTE]

Collins is all purpose, as evidenced from yesterday's game. How does an offense prepare for for that.