Will Galloway be an upgrade at 3rd reciever?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

Will Galloway be an upgrade at 3rd reciever?

Are the Patriots wasting there time with Galloway?  He will likely beat out Brandon Tate, Greg Lewis, Sam Aiken, and  Matt Slater.  Tate and Slater are too green to start.  Aiken and Lewis have had little production.  Galloway has been in the league since 1995.

Does everyone else expect the Patriots to bring in another veteran?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dredme89. Show dredme89's posts

Re: Will Galloway be an upgrade at 3rd reciever?

absolutley, he is an extrordinary athlete, he can still run a 4.3 or so and has tremendous speed. He was hurt last year and thus he didnt play he was cut becasue tampa is going in a run first direction. He will obviously be the number three with lewis as the no 4.  Believe me I saw this guy running and catching on the beach in miami in april, hes still got it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

With all the weapons at Brady's command why not have a guy who runs the go route to perfection! I think when everyone see's him in a game streaking down the sideline and blowing by guys 15 years younger than him and Tom delivers a perfect strike in stride for an easy TD,opinions will change and you'll soon be singing his praises!!!! The man can still fly and like all the good ones he's going to be competing for a chance to play on the Patriots and one last chance for a Super Bowl ring.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

If he stays healthy, no question about it.  Will Moss and Welker and of course Brady tossing the pigskin, Galloway could be a top flight WR in 2009.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I like the pickup with Galloway.  I think we have some good depth at RB and WR going into the season.  We should be able to take the usual injuries and still have adequate weapons for TB.  I'd hate to be a defensive coordinator facing the Pats this year.  Unless you have one of the few teams with a bunch of defensive studs up front, you are facing a long game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I agree we do have some great depth on the team.except at QB.oh beleive me i hope brady is fine all season long,but it would be nice to have insurance there just in case.and maybe another LB.other then that the pats are set.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

He's not much of a threat to go across the middle - we know if he does that he'll be injured before the playoffs, which is the only time we need him.  Opposing D's will know this.  Brady prefers receivers who move horizontally rather than vertically.  So I wouldn't expect too much from him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Will Galloway be an upgrade at 3rd reciever?:
    [QUOTE]Are the Patriots wasting there time with Galloway?  He will likely beat out Brandon Tate, Greg Lewis, Sam Aiken, and  Matt Slater.  Tate and Slater are too green to start.  Aiken and Lewis have had little production.  Galloway has been in the league since 1995. Does everyone else expect the Patriots to bring in another veteran?
    Posted by jmmyslinski[/QUOTE]

http://profootballweekly.com/2009/06/28/galloway-leading-for-pats-third-wr-spot

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: Will Galloway be an upgrade at 3rd reciever?:
    [QUOTE]He's not much of a threat to go across the middle - we know if he does that he'll be injured before the playoffs, which is the only time we need him.  Opposing D's will know this.  Brady prefers receivers who move horizontally rather than vertically.  So I wouldn't expect too much from him. 
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

When the Pats signed Jabar Gaffney from Logan International Airport(because he had no team to play for) he became a solid WR in the NFL.  Let's see what he does in Denver now, I predict not much.  Welker was a also a nice player, but nothing compared to what he became in NE.  Moss came off some very poor seasons in Oakland, also with injury issues.  Now he's breaking TD records. Galloway is a proven WR, who has just had age and injury issues. Brady has a way of making very average WR look great, so if Galloway stays healthy it could be huge for the Pats.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Grogan77, good point that Brady, perhaps in conjunction with the Pats system (Welker did great with Cassel), can make a receiver look better than he might actually look elsewhere.  Not to get too far off topic, but this is related the the Brady vs. Mannning debate that's been on the forum recently.  Us Pats fans usually use 2 major points to put Brady on top; post season performance, and Brady never had star WR's until recently.  Have any of Manning's good WR's moved on to other teams to be lackluster performers, or were they still good?  I was just wondering if Manning truly has always had a great supporting cast, or if he also makes his WR's look good like TB?  In either case, Brady is still the better QB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I would still rather have Jabar Gaffney but i am bias as I am a big Gaffney fan and I was before he vene played here so I think he will be just fine in Denver. Gallaway is a good replacment but i would still rather have Gaffney, he could play any WR spot on the roster and Gallaway can not do that, he wont go over the middle the way Gaffney did and I dont see him coming down with any last second TDs in teh corner of the end zone the way Gaffney did in that Ravens game two years ago. I like Gallaway and he will add something new but i think Gaffney was the better fit.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

He's not much of a threat to go across the middle - we know if he does that he'll be injured before the playoffs, which is the only time we need him.  Opposing D's will know this.  Brady prefers receivers who move horizontally rather than vertically.  So I wouldn't expect too much from him. 

How much does Moss go over the middle??  Not much, and him and Brady seem to work out pretty good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

He will only be as good as Brady's protection. 

Personally I'm not to high on them.  Koppen and Neal are always braking down.  Light has always been a revolving door against quality competition and Kaczur just sux's.

Hopefully some of the youth can win positions and contribute.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Will Galloway be an upgrade at 3rd reciever?:
    [QUOTE]Are the Patriots wasting there time with Galloway?  He will likely beat out Brandon Tate, Greg Lewis, Sam Aiken, and  Matt Slater.  Tate and Slater are too green to start.  Aiken and Lewis have had little production.  Galloway has been in the league since 1995. Does everyone else expect the Patriots to bring in another veteran?
    Posted by jmmyslinski[/QUOTE]

I know that Galloway is an upgrade to Gaffne......Heck, Lewis might even be an upgrade.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Gaffney giveth and Gaffney taketh away. His great catch against the Ravens kept us undefeated. His drop against the Colts kept us out of the playoffs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Greg Lewis is not an upgrade over Gaffney dont be stupid. Just cause the man is no longer a Pat doesnt mean you have to sh*t on the guy. He had some very clutch moments as a Pat and even holds a record in the playoffs from his first year with the team. What that record is i dont know cause it is a random stat but he owns it. Greg Lewis could not have had come up with any of teh clutch catches Gaffney had while with this team. Gaffney was magic and i am sad he had to go.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]Grogan77, good point that Brady, perhaps in conjunction with the Pats system (Welker did great with Cassel), can make a receiver look better than he might actually look elsewhere.  Not to get too far off topic, but this is related the the Brady vs. Mannning debate that's been on the forum recently.  Us Pats fans usually use 2 major points to put Brady on top; post season performance, and Brady never had star WR's until recently.  Have any of Manning's good WR's moved on to other teams to be lackluster performers, or were they still good?  I was just wondering if Manning truly has always had a great supporting cast, or if he also makes his WR's look good like TB?  In either case, Brady is still the better QB.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Brady would have broken the TD record years ago if he had Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrsion.  And Probably would have given the Pats four SB rings by now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Grogan, you really hit the nail right on the head.  This guy is kind of like playing the lottery among a limited pool.  The upside on him is massive.  The downside is that he was injured last season and you're not certain how he will respond.

To answer the initial question, not only are they not wasting their time with this guy, I can't believe other teams allowed them to pick him up.  He is one of the most underrated receivers I've ever seen.  His big play ability competely changes the dynamic of defending this team. 

Perhaps I am overstating this BUT you could POTENTIALLY be looking at a three wide receiver set featuring three future Hall of Famers - I am not kidding about this.  Has this ever even happened before?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]Grogan, you really hit the nail right on the head.  This guy is kind of like playing the lottery among a limited pool.  The upside on him is massive.  The downside is that he was injured last season and you're not certain how he will respond. To answer the initial question, not only are they not wasting their time with this guy, I can't believe other teams allowed them to pick him up.  He is one of the most underrated receivers I've ever seen.  His big play ability competely changes the dynamic of defending this team.  Perhaps I am overstating this BUT you could POTENTIALLY be looking at a three wide receiver set featuring three future Hall of Famers - I am not kidding about this.  Has this ever even happened before?
    Posted by SonnyCorlione[/QUOTE] its possible.look at fitzgerald,bolden,and breston last season.of course the guy who wrote the article below dosent like the pats,but he knows a threat when he see,s one.

http://sportsroids.com/2009/03/15/the-2011-new-england-patriots-have-the-best-wrs-in-the-history-of-football-due-to-the-big-name-signing-of-joey-galloway/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

If you guys think about two years ago (before the aquistions of Moss and Welker) Galloway probably would have been considered a 1 on our team especially with Cant Catch a Ball Caldwell still on the team, so i think having him as a 3rd option is amazing! That AFC championship game still haunts me, with the Camera panning to caldwell's eyes on of the like twelve times he dropped a ball, gosh darn it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]If you guys think about two years ago (before the aquistions of Moss and Welker) Galloway probably would have been considered a 1 on our team especially with Cant Catch a Ball Caldwell still on the team, so i think having him as a 3rd option is amazing! That AFC championship game still haunts me, with the Camera panning to caldwell's eyes on of the like twelve times he dropped a ball, gosh darn it.
    Posted by thejoshuatree28[/QUOTE]

Hey, Caldwell might just be a big hit in the Canadian Football league! 
    Man, how Brady makes the most out of very average players is ridiculous.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]Greg Lewis is not an upgrade over Gaffney dont be stupid. Just cause the man is no longer a Pat doesnt mean you have to sh*t on the guy. He had some very clutch moments as a Pat and even holds a record in the playoffs from his first year with the team. What that record is i dont know cause it is a random stat but he owns it. Greg Lewis could not have had come up with any of teh clutch catches Gaffney had while with this team. Gaffney was magic and i am sad he had to go.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

Um, you don't know what Greg Lewis is going to do...I said that Lewis may be an upgrade to Gaff-me....that is a wait and see. 

I think that it is funny that I said Lewis might be an upgrade to Gaff-me and I am sh!tting on Gaff-me.......good one.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Galloway will certainly benefit from Moss and Welker (and, of course, Brady) being on the field. A defense cannot cover all three. Heck, it's tough enough just to cover Moss and Welker! At the beginning of the season defenses will focus on stopping Moss and Welker, since they know what those two can do, and "force" the Patriots to prove that Galloway can still play. That, obviously, will be their mistake. So I'd expect Galloway to put up some large numbers the first few games. Then as teams focus more on stopping him, that will open things up for Moss and Welker.
    And if teams try to stop all three WR's, they'll get killed by the running game and/or short passes to Faulk and the TEs.
    I almost feel sorry for opposing defenses.

As for Lewis, I think he's about as good as a fourth WR gets. Unless there are injuries, I wouldn't expect a whole lot of production from him, but I do think he's a poor-mans Gaffney. So he is an upgrade over Aiken (but not Gaffney). Tate could possibly be the fourth WR by season's end (as long as he doesn't end up on the IR). Mike Reiss is real high on Edelman and thinks he'll (not only make the roster but) push for playing time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Ok m10 I may have jumped teh gun a bit lol I am just a big Gaffney fan.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

Galloway is washed up. Even in his prime, he never went over the middle. Forget him...he will be cut before the roster of 53.