Will Gronk's Return Change The Offense THAT Much?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: Will Gronk's Return Change The Offense THAT Much?

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

[QUOTE]

Brady's stats throwing to Gronk the past 2 seasons:

71.6 completion %

10.5 yds/attempt

31-4 TD/INT ratio

Patriots rushing attack last season averaged 4.4 ypc with Gronk on the field and 3.9 with him off it.

Last season before Gronk got injured the Patriots averaged 4.1 explosive runs per game (runs of 10+ yards).  They only averaged 2.1 per game after he got hurt.

Anyone that doesn't think this guy makes a huge difference for this offense is certifiably insane.

Of course they are. Anonymis is a troll.  I am just shocked Wazzu has started to move over t to the troll side of the aisle lately.  Not sure what's gotten into him.

[/QUOTE]

How am I out of my mind and a troll for suggesting that it might take a game or 2 for Gronk to knock the rust off and for the offense to gel around him? I did say that his presence will be a huge deal for NE as the season wears on, I just don't expect him to come right out of the gate and be a huge contributer after being injured. I don't think that is an unreasonable statement. I could very well be wrong, maybe he will come out firing on all cylinders. that would be excellent! I'm just tempering my expectations a bit for his first game or two back. By the way, forgive me for being a bit negative after last week. I can't stand Denver and it p*isses me off that they are looking so good early on. Hopefully they will slow down as the season progresses, as you suggest. All good bro!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

In response to jjbag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It wont change much on the offense, what it will change is how a defence will play the pats, currently they can double team both wides and have the tight end covered with a safety or a fast linebacker. So in 2 WR sets both wides get doubleteamed, strong safety or LB covers the tight end and linebackers or safety cover the RB's coming out of backfield.

With Gronk, you will not get mismatches with either the Safety or LB covering him, if they play with a LB and Safety double covering Gronk, 95% of the time the RB will be free coming out of the backfield.

If they use a double safety coverage on Gronk and keep the LBs in for the RB coming out of the backfield 2 things will happen, you get a mismatch with a LB trying to cover an RB and you are then left with single coverage on your WR, 50% of the time the WR will break coverage and you will get some long receptions.(hence why we went young and fast, BTW).

So, the answer is no you will not see a change in the Offense, but you will see big changes on the defense to defend against Gronk, if they bring in more DB's then the run game opens up because of the lack of LB size in the middle. (sorry bout the long post, but you gotta know football to see why Gronk is being missed)

Your post makes no sense.  A change in the offense will be longer drives, more sustained drives and more points scored, with better red zone play from Brady.

[/QUOTE]

The offense won't change, its the defense that will change against the offense. Reading comprehension works wonders for understanding the written word.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skinnyrexraptor. Show skinnyrexraptor's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

71.6 completion %

10.5 yds/attempt

31-4 TD/INT ratio

Patriots rushing attack last season averaged 4.4 ypc with Gronk on the field and 3.9 with him off it.

Last season before Gronk got injured the Patriots averaged 4.1 explosive runs per game (runs of 10+ yards).  They only averaged 2.1 per game after he got hurt.

Anyone that doesn't think this guy makes a huge difference for this offense is certifiably insane.

Of course they are. Anonymis is a troll.  I am just shocked Wazzu has started to move over t to the troll side of the aisle lately.  Not sure what's gotten into him.

[/QUOTE]

This is all so confusing. BB said he was ready to play weeks ago.  Didn't BB just give him a bunch of money?  

Hey Queenie, do you have any predictions as to when Gronk will play again?

[/QUOTE]

Feelin' strong today Jet TrollBoy?...BWAHAHAHAHAHA...

I OWN YOU!!!

PhatRex/PhatVirgin/Bustchise/whodeawhodat/Fletcherbrook/DontQuestionBB/fatsam/BungaloBill and a host of others are all the same lame Jets Troll...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hows the dynamic duo at QB for those Jtes, Mark "who hid my scrunchie" Sanchez and Geno  "I look like Donatello" Smith?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

71.6 completion %

10.5 yds/attempt

31-4 TD/INT ratio

[/QUOTE]

How am I out of my mind and a troll for suggesting that it might take a game or 2 for Gronk to knock the rust off and for the offense to gel around him? I did say that his presence will be a huge deal for NE as the season wears on, I just don't expect him to come right out of the gate and be a huge contributer after being injured. I don't think that is an unreasonable statement. I could very well be wrong, maybe he will come out firing on all cylinders. that would be excellent! I'm just tempering my expectations a bit for his first game or two back. By the way, forgive me for being a bit negative after last week. I can't stand Denver and it p*isses me off that they are looking so good early on. Hopefully they will slow down as the season progresses, as you suggest. All good bro!

[/QUOTE]

The very fact Gronk will be running routes and run blocking for our run game means it will have an effect in a positive way for our offense.

Don't over-analyze it.

Amendola looked very good last week. It was Brady who was off all day.  If Brady was better, it's more like a 7 catch 80 yd 1 TD day for Amendola.

At least Gronk has been practicing the last 3 weeks. Expect him to be unleashed.

[/QUOTE]

Agree on Amendola looking pretty good last week.  He missed on a few opportunities, but to be fair they were tough catches. No arguing that Brady was way off all day. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

71.6 completion %

10.5 yds/attempt

31-4 TD/INT ratio

Well, that says it all.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Seeing as we don't have a TE at present, his return should help quite a bit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'll bet you right now we don't score 13 points in a playoff game. I guarantee you we score more than 13 or 14 points like we have been doing since 2007 in the postseason.

Bet?

I'm right on board with that.  Like you, I have a lot of faith in Tom Brady to get the job done in the playoffs.  Despite the pure garbage he has to throw to, he'll still find a way to get that ball in the end zone.

I apprecaite that you've finally come around on Brady.  It's about time.

[/QUOTE]

It's not "pure garbage". Gronk should have been back now. Gronk is "pure garbage". Where was this premise last week after the Atlanta game, HAndy? Hmm?

Where was it?

Edelman is what Welker does for us, if not more by getting deep. Edelman has been behind defenses repeatedly so far this year. Brady missed he and  Dobson wide open vs TB. Each was waving their hands, likely stunned Brady was so blind.

Dobson had a 60 yard catch and run on Sunday. He had a TD on his first reception of his career.

Thompkins has been all over the field and has 3 TDs already through 5 games.

He's already had a 100 yard receiving game. Santonio Holmes at 10 mil per has 4 of those in the last 4 seasons.

Amendola had 4 grabs, 55 yards, Brady missed him on the TD and a myriad of other plays.  Amendola is very good.

You're wrong as usual and a troll. No matter how witty and smart you think you are, you will never, EVER, outdebate me or know more than me about football (or hockey/baseball).

It's why you stalk me here.  You think you are the smartest one on that B's board, and someone else (me) shows up on occassion and EMBARRASSES you the moon and back, which makes you now one of my MANY stalker trolls.

Cooked.

[/QUOTE]

Finally we have the true purpose behind your lunacy. it's about being right, about proving it regardless of facts at the cost of truth. You are here to out debate people and prop up your false ego and confidence. Repeat after me..."I am smart, beautiful and people like me..." 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

What did NY do? They committed to a run game. We didn't. Ball game.

I understand that Brady had a bad game (there, I said that first thing), but are you blaming him for bailing on the run?

Are you saying that Brady decided to just go pass happy on offense after they benched the RB for the fumble?  Was Brady ignoring the plays being sent in, and McDaniels and BB just sat there and let Brady do whatever he wanted?

Brady did not throw well, and I agree the outcome would have been better if the Pats did not abandon the run.  However, I can't see laying that at Brady's feet.  That an OC (if he just isnt' calling run plays) or HC (if he just lets the QB constantly ignore the OC's play calls) issue.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

So Rex Ryan did a better job than Belichick last game.

Wow, you're really coming out of the closet today.  So far you've put your faith in Brady's offense to score more than 14 points in the post season and now you're bashing Belichick for not running the ball enough.

It's a strange day here at BDC!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

I think the bailing on the run thingy seems to occur when they discuss at halftime. Brady gets partial blame because they ask him his input.  He gets input on gameplans, his opinions on how a WR is progressing here, and all kinds of stuff.

Personally, I have never liked McDaniels and think he and Brady think that by throwing, that will win the game.

Agree, final blame for that 

I find it a bit odd that Brady is not begging McDaniels to not abandon it, though, I would be.

I can show Brady 15 games if not more where we lost or our D bailed out our O since 2007 when we did that and how BAD Brady was while doing it.

THink 2007 AFC TItle game. We abandoned it, Brady had 3 INTs, we almost lost, but instead McDaniels apparently woke up and told his O line to block for Maroney.

Maroney 22 carries, 122 yards, most of that in the 4th qtr. The WHOLE 4th qtr with a lead.

I realize we were trailing here, but when it's 3-3 or 6-3 that's not the same as being behind to throw.

Sadly, the crappy Geno Smith looked good last night becayse the Jets protected him with the run and took advantage of a bad defense.

Cincy's D is clearly good, but we didn't help ourselves by making it easy on them.

I didn't like using Blount as the lead back either.  Also, little to no use of Develin was a mistake.

Fair enough.  Although I think they might need an OC that can listen to some input, even from Brady, and then over rule him if he thinks it's the right thing to do.  Not convinced McDaniels is that guy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

If Gronk is not extremely rusty I am going to say his return will make a huge difference.

What he will do is make more options from the under center formation and be a big target for Brady.

Brady has trouble in pressure situations hitting the streaking reciever, Gronk allows a  larger target and can go after balls a bit better than the smaller guys. 

He also can release on play action, another option they desparately need to keep the defenses from applying more pressure than the pats o-line can handle.

Danny A did not really offer that much more than Edleman or Thompkins in dimensionality , especially since he dropped some balls and I think he lost a step since his injury. He might be a better option doing the same types of things as the season goes on but Gronk offers more.

Vereen will also be a big impact when he gets back becasue he offers a receiving option out of the backfield from under center plays.

Despite how bad the Patiots looked last game they were only a couple plays from ruining the Bengals defensive game plan. If they can get past the flat front 7 (I call it overcommited to the short play) of these teams a couple times and break bigs runs or n hit the longer pass the other team pretty much has to back off the pressure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

THink 2007 AFC TItle game. We abandoned it, Brady had 3 INTs, we almost lost, but instead McDaniels apparently woke up and told his O line to block for Maroney.

Maroney 22 carries, 122 yards, most of that in the 4th qtr. The WHOLE 4th qtr with a lead.

26 yards on the opening drive of the 4th quarter.

37 yards on the final drive with the Pats up 21-12.

63 of 122 is not really "most".

3       SDG 30 Nate Kaeding kicks off 58 yards, returned by Laurence Maroney for 21 yards (tackle by Marques Harris) 12 14 0 1.14 3 8:31 1 10 NWE 33 Laurence Maroney up the middle for 18 yards (tackle by Clinton Hart) 12 14 1.14 2.32 3 7:54       Timeout #1 by New England Patriots 12 14 0 0 3 7:54 1 10 SDG 49 Laurence Maroney right end for no gain (tackle by Quentin Jammer) 12 14 2.32 1.78 3 7:13 2 10 SDG 49 Tom Brady pass complete short left to Randy Moss for 18 yards (tackle by Drayton Florence) 12 14 1.78 3.51 3 6:32 1 10 SDG 31 Laurence Maroney left guard for 11 yards (tackle by Shaun Phillips) 12 14 3.51 4.24 3 5:53 1 10 SDG 20 Laurence Maroney left tackle for 6 yards (tackle by Stephen Cooper and Antonio Cromartie) 12 14 4.24 4.64 3 5:10 2 4 SDG 14 Laurence Maroney left guard for 4 yards (tackle by Ryon Bingham and Shaun Phillips) 12 14 4.64 4.91 3 4:26 1 10 SDG 10 Laurence Maroney right tackle for no gain (tackle by Ryon Bingham) 12 14 4.91 4.19

Does that look like the team abandoned the running game?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

If Gronk is not extremely rusty I am going to say his return will make a huge difference.

What he will do is make more options from the under center formation and be a big target for Brady.

Brady has trouble in pressure situations hitting the streaking reciever, Gronk allows a  larger target and can go after balls a bit better than the smaller guys. 

He also can release on play action, another option they desparately need to keep the defenses from applying more pressure than the pats o-line can handle.

Danny A did not really off thet much more than Edleman or Thompkins in dimensionality , especially since he dropped some balls and I think he lost a step since his injury. He might be a better option doing the same types of things as the season goes on but Gronk offers more.

Vereen will also be a big impact when he gets back becasue he offers a receiving option out of the backfield from under center plays.

Despite how bad the Patiots looked last game they were only a couple plays from ruining the Bengals defensive game plan. If they can get past the flat front 7 (I call it overcommited to the short play) of these teams a couple times and break bigs runs or n hit the longer pass the other team pretty much has to back off the pressure.

Good take, I would agree whole heartedly but I fear being called "a homer."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to TheTinMan's comment:

I think the bailing on the run thingy seems to occur when they discuss at halftime. Brady gets partial blame because they ask him his input.  He gets input on gameplans, his opinions on how a WR is progressing here, and all kinds of stuff.

Personally, I have never liked McDaniels and think he and Brady think that by throwing, that will win the game.

Agree, final blame for that 

I find it a bit odd that Brady is not begging McDaniels to not abandon it, though, I would be.

I can show Brady 15 games if not more where we lost or our D bailed out our O since 2007 when we did that and how BAD Brady was while doing it.

I realize we were trailing here, but when it's 3-3 or 6-3 that's not the same as being behind to throw.

Sadly, the crappy Geno Smith looked good last night becayse the Jets protected him with the run and took advantage of a bad defense.

Cincy's D is clearly good, but we didn't help ourselves by making it easy on them.

I didn't like using Blount as the lead back either.  Also, little to no use of Develin was a mistake.

Fair enough.  Although I think they might need an OC that can listen to some input, even from Brady, and then over rule him if he thinks it's the right thing to do.  Not convinced McDaniels is that guy.

Don't really care how much they run. It is not important how much.

What is important is the defense the Patriots are playing needs to be in a formation and mindset that is divided between respecting the run, or the pass. Not just short passes but long passes, medium passes, screens, play action, middle of the field and sidelines. 

In other words everything...a defense that tries to defend everything is a vulnerable defense.

Now sometimes you have to run 10 times in a row, make 6 first downs and chew up 8 minutes on the clock to force a team into this mindset/formation/schema. Actually this is typical, that is why in general I usually think they do not set up the run enough.

Cinci was really tough because their front 7 can transition between applying pressure and closing off all sorts of short runnig playswith the same personel on any down. They were vulnerable to the screen or any running play that got past their first line of defense because of their pressre to the backfield. I am suprised the Patriot did not bust a few 20 yarders becaue of this.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20131010-jim-donaldson-gronks-return-will-help-but-dont-expect-him-to-fix-everything.ece

Don't expect Gronk to fix everything

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

He can't fix it all but he will open up a lot for this offense.

-Run blocking will be a lot better with him in there

-He will stretch the field down the seams opening up the easy dump off to Amendola and Edelman.  and if you decide to stop the underneath stuff and single cover him he'll burn you down the seams all night. so he'll put attention on himself and open up everyone else.

-our red zone O will be better. better run power game with him and he gives brady a HUGE target to throw to. yet again, put single coverage on him he'll kill you. Double him, everyone else will.

simple as that.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Yes Gronk will change the offense that much simply because he can run a route correctly and catch a ball.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Gronk makes all the difference.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigsmellybear. Show bigsmellybear's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

So Rex Ryan did a better job than Belichick last game.

Wow, you're really coming out of the closet today.  So far you've put your faith in Brady's offense to score more than 14 points in the post season and now you're bashing Belichick for not running the ball enough.

It's a strange day here at BDC!

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Geno Smith a guy who sucked last week is in position to make gameplan suggestions or adjustments like a HOF QB Brady or Manning might have, no.

McDaniels and Brady don't always have good games together. That was one of them.

[/QUOTE]

Did you see how bad Geno sucked last night with his 3 TDs/no INTs?  Of course you didn't.  You don't watch football.

[/QUOTE]

PhatRex/PhatVirgin/Bustchise/whodeawhodat/Fletcherbrook/DontQuestionBB/fatsam

/BungaloBill/Uncle Rico/patriotrain and a host of others are all the same lame Jets Troll...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hows the dynamic duo at QB for those Jtes, Mark "who hid my scrunchie" Sanchez and Geno  "I look like Donatello" Smith

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigsmellybear. Show bigsmellybear's posts

Jim Donaldson is a known anti-BBite.  His articles don't mean anything.

[/QUOTE]

tomhab is Bustchise

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to agill1970's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to anonymis' comment:

Especially since DAs return last game didn't turn out too well. Is that what the Patriots can expect from him the rest of the season?  It's possible that he is still sub-optimal from his groin injury and may NOT recover this season.

Will Gronk make enough of a difference for the offense as a whole?

Half of Amendolas woes that game can be attributed to the abysmal play of Brady.  Granted he wasn't quite as sharp or fast as he was game 1, but Brady whiffed on him a few times.  As for Gronk, if he comes back and starts playing like his old self then yes, to answer your question, absolutely.  When Gronk isn't going over defenders to grab a ball out of the air (he has a temendous catch radius), dragging or knocking over defenders, being our number 1 red zone threat, he is doing something that we desperately need help with, blocking.  And blocking very very well.  His very existance out on the field will free up opportunties for other players as well. 

WT F is going on in here? Brady whiffed on Him? What does that even mean? I counted 3 drops,. All 3 were right on the money and dropped. Thank you for the big catch before the half so we can kick 3, but cmon, the guy dropped some easy ones. Rust? He has been practicing for a while....No excuses. If we are gonna hold Brady to insane expectations, yes Danny making 6.1 million in place of Wes, needs to make those catches or it makes the wes move much worse as we all agreed that he was everything but clutch so we are supposed to be happy when Danny shows the same signs? I was happy with Danny as a Wes replacement, but we still dont have a # 1 or a TE in this offense and thats a problem. Even when Gronk comes back, how do you run a 2 TE set with  no 3rd TE? You usually  dont...We are terribly thin at TE after having like 6 in camp...BUT Dallas Clark and Winslow are both healthy and helping our teams each week. Should have signed one of them instead of waiting a year and a half for the Jake the Break Ballard!  smh

Board has become one big Brady Bash Party. Sorry I cant partake. Im just taking notes. Hope you all come back and eat crow when TFB shows you he doesnt s*ck next game

[/QUOTE]

It means that honest fans saw Brady throw wildly above Amendolas head where Amendola had to make an incredible catch even if he was WIDE OPEN.

There was one to the strong side on a crossing pattern where Brady AIRMAILED IT and Thompkins was behind Amendola who then tried to dive and catch it.

Amendola is 5'11, he's not 6'5 like Gronk.

Stop making excuses for AWFUL THROWS. If Brady is so great, why is his accuracy, so awful?

Is it because Moss and Gronk, and people like that, bailed him out due to their freakish size and ability, where Brady's gets lax and lazy on his other WRs?????!!

Hmmm? Shizzles? Could it be? Could it be?

[/QUOTE]

Could it be you're sick in the head.

Receivers catch balls. especially starting receivers.  That is their job. 

It's called doing their job and earning their pay.  They are supposed to catch easy passes, hard passes and everything in between.  That's why they are out there instead of home on the phone selling snake oil, like you.

Stallworth & Gaffney, even caught balls.  Hell, Bug eyes, even caught balls.

So did David Tyree, ( caught one) and Manningham and EVERY SINGLE ONE of Joe Flacco's receivers, in February, last year.

Are you seeing the trend here?

This current pile of fertilizer, is not catching, (CATCH ABLE) balls, unless you count Thompkins catching the ball 3x's for each catch.

Then his catch % would be 3x's what it currently is, about 69%.  BWAHAHA

Damn shame they couldn't have been brought along like all the other rookies Wrs, in the NFL.

Shame on you BB.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Yesterday was Gronks long awaited return, fans thinking that miraculously, the offense would turn into a juggernaut again.

He had a solid game, but patriots still 1-12 on 3rd down conversions.