Will LeBron Lunacy Impact NFL Labor Negotiations?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Will LeBron Lunacy Impact NFL Labor Negotiations?

How are you-all enjoying the NBA free-agency fest? Don't you love hearing about how Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh are scheming to get on the same team? Isn't it wonderful that the Dallas Mavericks signed "No D Dirk Nowitzki to a 6 year, $120mil. deal? How 'bout the Celtics mortgaging their future to make one more run with 33 year old Paul Pierce...signing him to a 4 year, $61mil. deal? Joe Johnson gets $20mil. per year by averaging 20 points per game, but barely breaking a sweat on defense. Amar'e Stoudemire gets $20mil. from the Knicks in a multi-year deal? (Incidently...the entire dollar amount of these mega-contracts is guaranteed money).

Worst of all, you have King James himself...who has never won a championship, dictating to the league...and personally setting up his own one hour TV special, in which he enlightens us as to where he'll make his billions.

YUCK!!!! Aren't you-all sick of this BS!! I wonder what John Havlicek and  Dave Cowens think about all this?? Yep...the NBA is fantastic!! Thank you, David Stern.

Got to believe that the NFL owners are watching this with growing contempt. The only thing close to the LeBron fiasco that they've had to deal with was with Reggie White, about 20 years ago. Can you imagine if Peyton Manning or Tom Brady became unrestricted free agents...and there was a loose salary cap, or none at all? 

For these reasons, I've got to believe that there will be no give by the owners on the matter of the franchise tag...and little give on the salary cap issue. Barring the Feds ordering the owners to give in on these matters (which, unfortunately, is a distinct possibility), the NFL will remain the best run sports league in America. 

The NFL may not be fantastic, but we wouldn't have it any other way: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/06/lebron-fiasco-likely-means-franchise-tag-is-going-nowhere/

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Will LeBron Lunacy Impact NFL Labor Negotiations?

A couple things just off the top of my head:

Paul Pierce took a paty cut with his extension.

LeBron and the Cavs did win a conference championship, and then got schooled by the Spurs.

The thing about all this posturing in the NBA is that, unlike the No Fun League, one guy can make a tremendous difference on a basketball court (especially if he's one guy who plays by an entirely different set of rules -- as is the case with LeBron). I don't really know any serious (NBA) basketball fans anymore. Those guys you mentioned -- Havilcek and Cowens -- wouldn't recognize the game the way it is played today, and if the league is happy turning it's product into a playground pick-up game where a handul of premiere players are above the rules and essentially run the league, well it gets what it deserves.

Stern handed LeBron the keys to the kingdom before he ever laced up for the first time in the pros. He was designated as the future of the league and he has been allowed to do whatever he wants on the court, and now he is about to be rewarded with a contract that is likely to make all other ridiculous contracts pale by comparison, and to dictacte where and with whom he wants to play after accomplishing . . .

wait for it . . .

exactly nothing.

Oh yes . .   the NBA is fantastic alright.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Will LeBron Lunacy Impact NFL Labor Negotiations?:
    A couple things just off the top of my head: Paul Pierce took a paty cut with his extension. LeBron and the Cavs did win a conference championship, and then got schooled by the Spurs. The thing about all this posturing in the NBA is that, unlike the No Fun League, one guy can make a tremendous difference on a basketball court (especially if he's one guy who plays by an entirely different set of rules -- as is the case with LeBron). I don't really know any serious (NBA) basketball fans anymore. Those guys you mentioned -- Havilcek and Cowens -- wouldn't recognize the game the way it is played today, and if the league is happy turning it's product into a playground pick-up game where a handul of premiere players are above the rules and essentially run the league, well it gets what it deserves. Stern handed LeBron the keys to the kingdom before he ever laced up for the first time in the pros. He was designated as the future of the league and he has been allowed to do whatever he wants on the court, and now he is about to be rewarded with a contract that is likely to make all other ridiculous contracts pale by comparison, and to dictacte where and with whom he wants to play after accomplishing . . . wait for it . . . exactly nothing. Oh yes . .   the NBA is fan tastic alright.
    Posted by p-mike

Agree with most of what you said...but Paul Pierce taking a pay-cut? It's true that Paul could have stayed on for one season, got paid $21mil., and then became a free agent. But, who would have signed Pierce to a guaranteed $40mil. over 3 years, at that point of his career?

My mistake about LeBron winning a conference championship. His team also had the best regular season record in the NBA last season. But, who cares...and who will remember. Championships make a legacy...not regular season wins, or conference titles. 

For example, let me refer you to Peyton Manning.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Will LeBron Lunacy Impact NFL Labor Negotiations?:
         How are you-all enjoying the NBA free-agency fest? ....     Thoughts?           
    Posted by TexasPat3

Used to pay attention to the NBA, but haven't for years.  Somewhere along the evolutionary path to cornrows and tats on every part of the anatomy, I just lost interest.  Might have been when Latrell Sprewell said he wasn't sure if he could get by on $15 mil per year (or something to that effect). 

Can honestly say I didn't watch more than 15 minutes of the finals this year.  And this is from a formerly die-hard C's fan.  I'd rather clean out my garage than watch LeBron's "special."

And tying this stupidity in any way to the NFL is more of Florio trying to kill time on his website until training camp starts. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Will LeBron Lunacy Impact NFL Labor Negotiations? : Used to pay attention to the NBA, but haven't for years.  Somewhere along the evolutionary path to cornrows and tats on every part of the anatomy, I just lost interest.  Might have been when Latrell Sprewell said he wasn't sure if he could get by on $15 mil per year (or something to that effect).  Can honestly say I didn't watch more than 15 minutes of the finals this year.  And this is from a formerly die-hard C's fan.  I'd rather clean out my garage than watch LeBron's "special." And tying this stupidity in any way to the NFL is more of Florio trying to kill time on his website until training camp starts. 
    Posted by Muzwell

I tend to agree. I've lost interest, too. of course, part of it was that the Celtics were horrible for nearly 20 years, until they got the "Big Three", and won a title. It''s a shame what David Stern and the NBA owners has allowed that once great league to disintegrate into. Spreewell, and Allan Iverson were the guys that turned me off the most. But, the ref cheating scandal was the final straw...along with the obvious Lakers bias of the league.

Sure, Florio is looking to fill some time. But, I think he makes a valid point. The LeBron fiasco likely will serve to further inspire owners to maintain a tight salary cap...and limit free agency. On the PR front, it may also serve to strengthen the owners' position with the fans.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Will LeBron Lunacy Impact NFL Labor Negotiations?:
         How are you-all enjoying the NBA free-agency fest? Don't you love hearing about how Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh are scheming to get on the same team? Isn't it wonderful that the Dallas Mavericks signed "No D Dirk Nowitzki to a 6 year, $120mil. deal? How 'bout the Celtics mortgaging their future to make one more run with 33 year old Paul Pierce...signing him to a 4 year, $61mil. deal? Joe Johnson gets $20mil. per year by averaging 20 points per game, but barely breaking a sweat on defense. Amar'e Stoudemire gets $20mil. from the Knicks in a multi-year deal? (Incidently...the entire dollar amount of these mega-contracts is guaranteed money).      Worst of all, you have King James himself...who has never won a championship, dictating to the league...and personally setting up his own one hour TV special, in which he enlightens us as to where he'll make his billions.      YUCK!!!! Aren't you-all sick of this BS!! I wonder what John Havlicek and  Dave Cowens think about all this?? Yep...the NBA is fantastic!! Thank you, David Stern.      /lebron-fiasco-likely-means-franchise-tag-is-going-nowhere/      Thoughts?           
    Posted by TexasPat3

I guess they only call it Collusion when Management does it...And How about if Lebron winds up in Miami too? That's what the rumor mill is churning up on ESPN Radio right now on "The Herd".

We're pretty big into athlete and entertainer worship in this country right now. I won't be patronizing ESPN for the Lebron James Dog and Pony show but I'm sure I'll be Bombarded with it the next day.

The NFL has managed to hold their ground in labor negotiations in the past and I expect they will do the same this time around. The athletes will say that they are the game and not the owners but if that is the case, Let's see them start up their own league and see where that goes. I know one thing, If the the Pats whole team walked and they had to bring in replacements I'd still be tuned in rooting for them on Sunday just like I did during the strike year.

I root for Laundry not Name tags.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I like ewhite's point about rooting for the laundry.

The biggest disadvantage the NFL players have in the argument that they, themselves (and not the game) are the product, is that you can't see them under those helmets. My guess is that most fans associate more with the logo than the players because the players are interchangeble. They are, in a very real sense, nothing more than numbers on the back of a jersey.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

For some reason I like College basketball much better.  The NBA has done a good job of promoting their athletes so I can't blame them for that.  The thing that bothers me about basketball in general is how subjective fouls are.  Every play could be a foul in a "no contact" sport.  I'm sure the refs try to be fair but it's too much guessology to determine what contact makes a foul and what doesn't so I tend to think games are truly decided more by the officials then the players.

PI and holding have the same subjectivity in the NFL, I wish they would make more concrete rules.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I like ewhite's point about rooting for the laundry. The biggest disadvantage the NFL players have in the argument that they, themselves (and not the game) are the product, is that you can't see them under those helmets. My guess is that most fans associate more with the logo than the players because the players are interchangeble. They are, in a very real sense, nothing more than numbers on the back of a jersey.
    Posted by p-mike

I disagree. It's not that the faces of football players are hidden away. It's the nature of the sport that they play. Basketball is a game more suited for individual creativity and athleticism. One great player can take charge of a game. But football is all about teamwork. Even the great QBs need the constant assistance of their OLs and WRs to make plays. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Incidently, the Chicago Bulls just signed Carlos Boozer to a 5 year, $80mil. deal: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/07/07/boozer.bulls/index.html?eref=BrkNews

As I see it, that leaves LeBron's choices down to Chicago or Miami...if he's interested in winning championships. Boozer is a great pick-up for Tom Thibideau. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Will LeBron Lunacy Impact NFL Labor Negotiations? :      I disagree. It's not that the faces of football players are hidden away. It's the nature of the sport that they play. Basketball is a game more suited for individual creativity and athleticism. One great player can take charge of a game. But football is all about teamwork. Even the great QBs need the constant assistance of their OLs and WRs to make plays. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

Not that guy in Indy, he does it all himself and he's also the OC.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I'm not knocking football because it is my favorite sport but it's way too simplistic to say it's run better than the other major sports.

They play once a week, and more importantly, every team benefits equally from the TV contracts.  This is not just a small factor that can be overlooked.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'm not knocking football because it is my favorite sport but it's way too simplistic to say it's run better than the other major sports. They play once a week, and more importantly, every team benefits equally from the TV contracts.  This is not just a small factor that can be overlooked.
    Posted by siestafiesta

Not to mention it is just a better sport to watch and to bet on. With Fantasy football they've hooked in  a lot of people who would never have been interested otherwise. The sport really sells itself.