Will Manning break the TD record?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Will Manning break the TD record?

He can, but...

While his 22 TDs in 6 games is amazing, what he has to accomplish the rest of the way is still extremely formidable.

The pace he has to keep up over these last 10 games is a rate that has been accomplished only 3 times in NFL history over a season. Brady, himself and Marino are the only three QBs to throw TDs at that frequently for a season.

Brady had 21 over the first 6 games in 2007 (PM has 22 at the moment.). Interestingly, Brady did not have a game under 3 TDs in the first 6 and Manning has a 2 TD outing against, of all teams, the Jags. His record tying opener against the Ravens has shot PM's TD rate into the stratosphere, but since then he has not quite been on a record pace.

While the Denver schedule has been very soft early (having played half their games against the 3 worst D's in the NFL) they still have to play the Pats and also play the Chiefs twice. Those aren't the cupcake D's they have faced so far. The weather only gets worse and factors such as injuries, clinching playoff spots and rest can become a factor as the season advances to a conclusion. 

This should be an interesting sideshow to keep an eye on. It may very well come down to the wire. If he can do this, it will be an astounding accomplishment, especially  considering his age, the schedule notwithstanding.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Will Manning break the TD record?

If the Patriots win a championship I could care less...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's an interesting question. By no means will it be easy. Esp, in Den when the weather starts to turn but he does have a good schedule and some great receivers to help him out. Still though he has to average just under 3 TDs a game from here on out which is no easy task. I think Den will do everything possible to get him the record but it's going to be a challenge 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's why it's a sideshow wozzy. When the current record was set, that didn't stop a velcro- helmet catch form ending our perfect season. The records don't mean anything compared to the rings.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

The Broncos play Chief's twice, Chagers twice, Colts, Titans and Pats. That's not going to be easy, especially in cold/bad weather. Chiefs, Pats, Colts and Titans allow less than 20 PPG (Chiefs allow one TD per game on average). But who cares, records are meant to be broken. As long as the Pats win the AFC, I'm good with Peyton breaking the TD record.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

He can have all the records as long as we get the rings

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Winter is coming...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Who cares besides the Mannings and horseface fans (including announcers and other media sycophants)!  Let him set all the personal records; and have our team win the SB rings!

Red Sox in 2013 World Series; Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Interesting discussion and Angel-of-Light makes a good point with the Bronco's having to play the Chiefs twice, Colts, Chargers twice, Pats in novemeber. 6 very tough games for Manning.  I will go out on as limb here and say Manning finishes with 46 or 47 td's and that was because they were really pushing for the record at the end,  but still finishes just short of 50.

What will also be interesting to watch is the TD record which Randy Moss set at 23.  After week 6 Randy Moss had 8 td's, Wes Welker currently has 8 td's after week 6. 

I agree championships matter the most but I am really selfish, I don't want either one of these records broken.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What if we don't then what do you think?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Interesting discussion and Angel-of-Light makes a good point with the Bronco's having to play the Chiefs twice, Colts, Chargers twice, Pats in novemeber. 6 very tough games for Manning.  I will go out on as limb here and say Manning finishes with 46 or 47 td's and that was because they were really pushing for the record at the end,  but still finishes just short of 50.

What will also be interesting to watch is the TD record which Randy Moss set at 23.  After week 6 Randy Moss had 8 td's, Wes Welker currently has 8 td's after week 6. 

I agree championships matter the most but I am really selfish, I don't want either one of these records broken.

[/QUOTE]

Welker won't break 16 TD's. Take that one to the bank.

As for the record....he needs 28 TD's in 10 games. That's a lot, but he has almost thrown for that many in 6 games. Last year, with lesser weapons, he threw for 23 TD's in the last 10 games.

Let's face it....Manning has better weapons than Brady did in 2007. Thomas and Decker combined are probably better than Moss and Stallworth, and while Welker may not be as explosive as he was then, his savvy is off the charts. The fact that he can still put up 100+ receptions is mind boggling, considering how much explosiveness he's lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D19X9zM8NAA

And let's not forget about the potential second coming of Antonio Gates in Julius Thomas.

Denver has more very good weapons, even though they may lack the all-time great in Moss. I'd take that receiving corps over the 2007 Patriots.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Tom Brady's personal stats mean nothing to me.

Give me the Rings.

Manning can have all the records for all I care but hope he never wins another Superbowl.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Who cares? Brady's 50 TDs was as meaningless as the 18 wins we saw that year. Only stat that matters is being 1-0 in February to this guy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Give me the Rings.

Manning can have all the records for all I care but hope he never wins another Superbowl.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent post. I absolutely agree.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

I started this Post after week 1 when Denver beat the Ravens and got somewhat slammed--well here is the topic after 6 weeks and I still believe he has a great chance to break it--IF his recievers and O Line stay healthy?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

I hope PM breaks some kind of record at Indy this week.  What's the record for most TD's in a game?  After that game- he should settle down- and yeah weather will be a factor that will probably slow him down.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's an interesting question. By no means will it be easy. Esp, in Den when the weather starts to turn but he does have a good schedule and some great receivers to help him out. Still though he has to average just under 3 TDs a game from here on out which is no easy task. I think Den will do everything possible to get him the record but it's going to be a challenge 

[/QUOTE]

Right, if he averages  2 per game vs. Pats, Colts, KC(2), and Titans which is a challenge then he needs to average just under 4 per game for other 5 games. Going to be tricky.

Would almost rather have him just break it and then be one and done in the Playoffs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's why it's a sideshow wozzy. When the current record was set, that didn't stop a velcro- helmet catch form ending our perfect season. The records don't mean anything compared to the rings.

[/QUOTE]
    Wozzy and Babe

In a universe dominated by individual accomplishment it is always easier for our egos to identify with the over-achieving record setters like Brady or Manning. Also, there are more possibilites for our egos to be enhanced because there are so many different records that could be broken. Thus, more ways for us to nourish our narcissism. But, there is only 1 Superbowl winner each year and the chance for us to identify with a winner is so much more dimished.

What I like about TB is that he is very competitive but he is all about the team. The Pats have had success because they have been all about the team. And as fans we have the best possibility for success if we are all about the team.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Patsfansince1966's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why do we care about Womanning?  You know he'll be one and done anyway.

[/QUOTE]

Why do you constantly complain about what other people choose to talk about?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who cares? Brady's 50 TDs was as meaningless as the 18 wins we saw that year. Only stat that matters is being 1-0 in February to this guy.

[/QUOTE]

That's all talk.  What if at the end of the day the Patriots don't go to the Super Bowl or win the Super Bowl, are you really telling me stats do not matter to you?  When Tom Brady retires are you saying you don't care that he holds the record for most touchdowns in a season?  I don't believe you for a moment.  Anyone who claims this is a liar.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Give me the Rings.

[/QUOTE]

Here is another one.  When Tom Brady retires do you really not care about his records and stats?  I don't believe you.  Maybe if he had never won a Super Bowl before and want him to win one before he retires then sure, I bet we would all be wanting him to get that ring over stats.  But he has 3 rings.  Do you really want us all here to believe that at this point, after 3 rigns that you do not care about any of his records or stats if he should retire without getting a 4th ring?  I do not believe you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Welker won't break 16 TD's. Take that one to the bank.

As for the record....he needs 28 TD's in 10 games. That's a lot, but he has almost thrown for that many in 6 games. Last year, with lesser weapons, he threw for 23 TD's in the last 10 games.

Let's face it....Manning has better weapons than Brady did in 2007. Thomas and Decker combined are probably better than Moss and Stallworth, and while Welker may not be as explosive as he was then, his savvy is off the charts. The fact that he can still put up 100+ receptions is mind boggling, considering how much explosiveness he's lost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D19X9zM8NAA

And let's not forget about the potential second coming of Antonio Gates in Julius Thomas.

Denver has more very good weapons, even though they may lack the all-time great in Moss. I'd take that receiving corps over the 2007 Patriots.

[/QUOTE]

I still say Manning finishes just shy of 50 tds.  But Wes Welker will get more then 16.  He might not break the Randy Moss record but he will hit 17.  He is on pace to have 100 receptions too. Something many here said he wouldn't get close to.  I bet his numbers increase the colder it get's and Manning not going as deep as much as he is now.  I think plying the tough teams also will contribute to Manning going to Welker more also.

I say neither Manning or Welker break the TD records.  Long live Tom Brady and Randy Moss in the record books.