Will McDonough...I thought I knew you

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Will McDonough...I thought I knew you

He's my most respected writer ever. Baseaball players were open and honest with him to a degree that was abnormal then, and would be totally unheard of now.

I always enjoyed reading his writing, I always thought he was fair, factual and honest. I never, however, though he was such a b a d a s s, and I don't know how I missed this:

Infamous Moments – McDonough Punches Clayborn

We’re back with another installment of infamous moments in Boston sports media history.

www.bostonsportsmedia.com/images/mcdonough_clayborn.jpg" alt="" width="82" height="225" />The relationship between the media and professional athletes has always been an adversarial one. Rarely however, has it gotten physical.

On September 9th, 1979, the Patriots had just routed the New York Jets 56-3.

These days morning talk show hosts and ESPN analysts would be eviscerating the Patriots for running up the score and showing poor sportsmanship- the Patriots scored 14 points in the fourth quarter when they were already up 42-3.

The atmosphere in the Patriots locker room following the game should’ve been light hearted, but cornerback Raymond Clayborn was miserable. He had a bad week, twice scuffling with teammates in practice.  

After the game, Clayborn was snapping at writers and bumping into them on purpose. Legendary writer Will McDonough of The Boston Globe took exception, saying “”Hey, Ray, there’s no need to do that.”

Clayborn reacted by jabbing his finger in McDonough’s face, poking him in the eye. McDonough then punched him twice, knocking him into a laundry cart and taking down a number of people with him.

The story immediately went into legend, with some accounts stating that McDonough had knocked Clayborn “out cold” with a single punch, and others describing more of a scuffle between the two.

McDonough was lionized among his colleages in the media for the incident, which was lauded as an example of “southie justice.”

From a www.boston.com/sports/specials/mcdonough/loss_of_a_legend?pg=full">Globe story after McDonough’s death:

”After that, he became a folk hero.” says Vince Doria, the former Globe sports editor who is now vice president/ director of news at ESPN.

”You know how when you’re a kid, you go around saying, `My dad can beat up your dad’?” says Sean McDonough. ”Well, after that, I went to school saying, `Never mind beating up your dad. My dad can beat up an NFL player.”’

What do you think would happen if a member of the media and an athlete got into a fight in the locker room these days?

Wow. My respect just went up a few notches. One of a kind, yet another fortunate blessing to the Boston sports fans.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenacioust. Show tenacioust's posts

Re: Will McDonough...I thought I knew you

Will Mcdonough was a piece of excrement,he was no better than Borges or Shank. He was a negative jerk.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I remember that. Willie was a good one and has been missed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

I agree with you on the respect aspect.  Good story about McDonough.

Yukon Out

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Will McDonough...I thought I knew you:
    [QUOTE]Why is it that you get the impression that Wil McDonough wasn't innocent there and it's totally embellished? If Wil McConough tried to punch me, I am pretty sure it wouldn't have happened and he would have an issue. Never liked him. Arrogant turd.  His son is an entitled bum.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

You're honestly the first person I've ever seen write, or say something bad about the man.

As for his son, I don't know. He turned down a full time broadcasting gig for the Mets at the beginning of the Henry ownership because he valued his Red Sox weekends so much (we has ONLY on during weekends), ownership then turned around and cast him off.

Remy, now there's someone who we could talk about entitlement...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I'm not here to say you're wrong, just that I haven't heard similar issues.

I wasn't aware of any friendship with Bulger, but I don't care about that. Most of us have friends or family who aren't 'good people', but they don't define who we are, I won't let one association determine what I think of McDonough.

I'm not a fan of the arrogant, entitled attitude either. I'm 31, I certainly caught him towards the end of his writing career, but I don't remember having those thoughts while reading his writing. If it turns out he was very similar then, to how someone like Bob Ryan or Shaugnessy is now, I'd be disappointed. As where most athletes despise the latter 2, I never heard anything but respect from players, especially baseball players, when talking about McDonough. In fact, I've never seen players respect anyone like they did McDonough.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Southie justice. Love it. R.I.P. McDonough.

10. This post has been removed.