Will Shane Vereen be worth while?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

Will Shane Vereen be worth while?

After a year that got off to a slow start due to injury, will Vereen be a guy that the pats use often? He has a really great skill set, it's just a matter of putting it out there I think. They obviously though enough of him to use a second rounder on him. What is your gut feeling on his contribution this year and down the line?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Will Shane Vereen be worth while?

A couple things worry me about him...one, he's small and two, he spent basically his entire rookie season injured. Now maybe the injury thing is just a fluke or even maybe he wasn't that injured, but just buried on the depth chart, but the size thing will always be there.

Early in the pre season he looked like a guy that was going down on contact way too easily - in his brief regular season action he looked like he was running stronger. I'm hoping he'll have some of the success that some of the smaller backs are having, like Rice and Drew, but he may end up being more in line as a Kevin Faulk type of roll.

They drafted him in the second round for a reason - because he has talent - but second round picks are no lock to become something special. I'm hoping he turns into something special...I'd feel much better if he could make it through a season healthy and start showing something. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: Will Shane Vereen be worth while?:
    [QUOTE]A couple things worry me about him...one, he's small and two, he spent basically his entire rookie season injured. Now maybe the injury thing is just a fluke or even maybe he wasn't that injured, but just buried on the depth chart, but the size thing will always be there. Early in the pre season he looked like a guy that was going down on contact way too easily - in his brief regular season action he looked like he was running stronger. I'm hoping he'll have some of the success that some of the smaller backs are having, like Rice and Drew, but he may end up being more in line as a Kevin Faulk type of roll. They drafted him in the second round for a reason - because he has talent - but second round picks are no lock to become something special. I'm hoping he turns into something special...I'd feel much better if he could make it through a season healthy and start showing something. 
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Vereen was drafted to replace Kevin Faulk...not to be an every down RB. BB took him primarily because he was a great receiver coming out of the backfield, at Cal.. The Pats need a guy who can get the tough yards when needed, and who can wear down defenses. Vereen is not that guy. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]could be way wrong but i don't think he was seriously injured last season. i believe he was kind of red shirted, maybe he did have a minor injury, but with woody and faulk as 3rd down vets BB may have felt it wise to let him watch, allow him a year to bulk up.   ridley has the type of body to offer an immediate contribution, but then the fumbles did him in. the flashes he showed as a pure runner with inside strength and enough speed to break away on the outside are undeniable. i'm expecting big things from both of them this season.
    Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Ridley also showed some hands last year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Shane Vereen be worth while? :      Vereen was drafted to replace Kevin Faulk...not to be an every down RB. BB took him primarily because he was a great receiver coming out of the backfield, at Cal.. The Pats need a guy who can get the tough yards when needed, and who can wear down defenses. Vereen is not that guy. 
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

If so, not great use of a 2nd round pick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Vereen is the fastest RB the Pats have had in the BB era. He can turn the corner and get to the 2nd level, something that has been missing for quite some time. Heis a threat to take it to the end zone every time he touches the ball. Patience. At the end of the year he will have more carries than any of the other backs. He is not small, and he is durable. Sit back, and watch him open up the running game like we have not seen in quite a few years

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

I believe he weighs 235 lbs which should allow him to be an everydown back with his skill set.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Maybe.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[QUOTE]Re: Will Shane Vereen be worth while? Maybe.
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

lol Laz thats your shortest post.....EVER!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Shane Vereen be worth while? :      Vereen was drafted to replace Kevin Faulk...not to be an every down RB. BB took him primarily because he was a great receiver coming out of the backfield, at Cal.. The Pats need a guy who can get the tough yards when needed, and who can wear down defenses. Vereen is not that guy. 
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

I hear what you are saying (and agree), but the truth is no one has come out and said that they drafted him to be a third down back. The funny thing is we already had a young and effective third down back on the roster (plus Faulk) when they drafted this kid high. Woodhead has all the qualities you look for in a third down back. I understand that you can never have enough depth at a position like that though. I do think he'll eventually be a third down back, but I've got to think they'll give him a chance to prove he can be a feature type...the only time they used him last year was in more of a runner (rather than receiving) type of roll.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Tex, I do not think he was drafted to be a third down back. I think he was drafted because they think he can be an all around back. Perhaps both you and mthurl think of Vereen as small but compare him to the following:
    1. Ray Rice 210
    2. Chris Johnson 191
    3. Walter Payton 200

And if you refer to his height, Ray Rice is 5'8 and Vereen is 5'9.

I hope Vereen will have 1000 yds rushing and some yards receiving. With the TEs and Llyod and Welker I am not sure how many catches there are to be had.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Vereen is not a small back in comparison to some others. I think he is stout enough to be moe than a 3rd down back, and if memory serves me correctly, he tested the strongest of all rb's at the combine when he came out. He averaged over 5 yards per rush and 9 yards per reception in college, and has big play potential. Key word is potential. For whatever reason he was limited last year. I think he sees the field more this year, and I think mcdaniels will find a good role for him. He can line up much like wood head does...backfield, slot, out wide and I think he is the best RB receiver the pats have at this point based on what film I saw on him in college. He runs routes and catches like a receiver. I for one want to see mcdaniels employ multiple RB sets to go along with our multiple TE sets. Think 2 or 3 TE and RB. Vereen, woody and Hernandez can all line up in the backfield, slot or out wide. Gronk and fells can both receive and block. Much more unpredictable than the multiple TE and WR sets. I think we will see some of this this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Shane Vereen be worth while? : If so, not great use of a 2nd round pick.
    Posted by MoreRings[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The Pats passed on deep threat WR Torrie Smith, to take Vereen. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

[QUOTE]I believe he weighs 235 lbs which should allow him to be an everydown back with his skill set.
    Posted by TSWFAN[/QUOTE]

Shane Vereen is 5'9"  205lbs... 

http://www.patriots.com/team/roster/Shane-Vereen/13170676-4b53-4249-b38b-9fb4f74b904c

Steven Ridley is 5'11" 225lbs...

http://www.patriots.com/team/roster/Stevan-Ridley/8c127d1b-d5bc-40e8-a2ec-f3b4eed1896c

I really like the upside for Ridley... he did have a couple of drops last year
    but that can be corrected.  If he is given consistant playing time his confidence will grow....  I think last year he was trying too hard to gain extra yards and that's when the drops happened.

Vereen.... could be interesting if he stays healthy....  I agree with one other poster that said he didn't think Vereen was hurt as bad as it seemed... I think they were purposefully holding him out....  he should get plenty of carries this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I do not believe Vereen was drafted as exclusively a 3rd down back.  Doesn't strike me as something BB would do.  I also believe he was essentially red-shirted last year. 

I generally take a wait-n-see approach with respect to expectations vs results on these things.  In Vereen's case I expect him to be used beyond the 3rd down scenario.  And from my perspective, at 5'9", 205 he's not undersized.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Is Vereen an "every down" back? Probably not.

But the Pats don't have and don't even want an "every down" back.  NE, like most teams in the NFL these days, will have a running back by commitee this year.  That means Ridley will play on some first downs as will Vereen as will Woody.  None of them will get worn down because none of them will pile up too many carries. 

If Vereen can stay healthy, he'll get carries in different situations including 3rd down, 1st down and 2nd down situations.  I think Ridley will go into the season as the starter but that's a nominal starter label at best.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Well, Vereen and Ridley better step up produce, we just got rid of one of the most sure-handed, fumble-free players in the league in BJGE.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Shane Vereen be worth while? : Shane Vereen is 5'9"  205lbs...  http://www.patriots.com/team/roster/Shane-Vereen/13170676-4b53-4249-b38b-9fb4f74b904c Steven Ridley is 5'11" 225lbs... http://www.patriots.com/team/roster/Stevan-Ridley/8c127d1b-d5bc-40e8-a2ec-f3b4eed1896c I really like the upside for Ridley... he did have a couple of drops last year but that can be corrected.  If he is given consistant playing time his confidence will grow....  I think last year he was trying too hard to gain extra yards and that's when the drops happened. Vereen.... could be interesting if he stays healthy....  I agree with one other poster that said he didn't think Vereen was hurt as bad as it seemed... I think they were purposefully holding him out....  he should get plenty of carries this year.
    Posted by Patsfaninswflorida[/QUOTE]

THANKS, My mistake

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

I'm often perplexed by those who insist that we need to trade for or add an established RB, such as Stephen Jackson, for example. As some have pointed out you don't make a 2nd and 3rd round investment in the same position in the same year without expecting a significant return. Wasn't it BB who said that football is a young man's game? Let's see what the young horses can do.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Vereen, Ridley & Woody....Pats don't need anybody else....with all the fullbacks they got to battle out for that position I'd be more interested in who they keep to block & open up holes...Vereen will be a stud for the Pats in both the passing attack & option routs...super explosive & quick...Ridley just needs to work on holding on to the ball better & Woody is a great hybrid of those two....

I personally don't think we need a POWER back stud until we have Mallett as our starting QB to take the preassure off him...in other words we're good for the next couple years & by then MAYBE Ridley or Vereen will establish themselves as that guy...MAYBE!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Tex, I do not think he was drafted to be a third down back. I think he was drafted because they think he can be an all around back. Perhaps both you and mthurl think of Vereen as small but compare him to the following: 1. Ray Rice 210 2. Chris Johnson 191 3. Walter Payton 200 And if you refer to his height, Ray Rice is 5'8 and Vereen is 5'9. I hope Vereen will have 1000 yds rushing and some yards receiving. With the TEs and Llyod and Welker I am not sure how many catches there are to be had.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

No you're right, there has been small backs that have had success in the NFL. Curtis Martin was 200lbs...Marshal Faulk may of been 210, Barry Sanders was small and Emmitt Smith was short. Ray Rice is quite the player, however these guys are more the exception than the rule.

I think a reason why a lot of talented smaller backs don't make it is because the football looks so big in their hands - it's an easy target for linebackers. They end up fumbling a lot and ball security becomes an issue, then they get pushed back into more of a third down type of roll, with the thought of if they're not touching the ball so often they will be less likely to cough it up.

I'd love to see Vareen become a feature back here, he kind of reminds me of Brian Westbrook.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Shane Vereen be worth while? : No you're right, there has been small backs that have had success in the NFL. Curtis Martin was 200lbs...Marshal Faulk may of been 210, Barry Sanders was small and Emmitt Smith was short. Ray Rice is quite the player, however these guys are more the exception than the rule. I think a reason why a lot of talented smaller backs don't make it is because the football looks so big in their hands - it's an easy target for linebackers. They end up fumbling a lot and ball security becomes an issue, then they get pushed back into more of a third down type of roll, with the thought of if they're not touching the ball so often they will be less likely to cough it up. I'd love to see Vareen become a feature back here, he kind of reminds me of Brian Westbrook.  
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

I hope he some day plays like Brian Westbrook. But, as of now...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Will Shane Vereen be worth while?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Shane Vereen be worth while? : No you're right, there has been small backs that have had success in the NFL. Curtis Martin was 200lbs...Marshal Faulk may of been 210, Barry Sanders was small and Emmitt Smith was short. Ray Rice is quite the player, however these guys are more the exception than the rule. I think a reason why a lot of talented smaller backs don't make it is because the football looks so big in their hands - it's an easy target for linebackers. They end up fumbling a lot and ball security becomes an issue, then they get pushed back into more of a third down type of roll, with the thought of if they're not touching the ball so often they will be less likely to cough it up. I'd love to see Vareen become a feature back here, he kind of reminds me of Brian Westbrook.   Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE] I disagree, I think the prototypical 6-2 220lb lead back has become the exception. Look at the top 5 leading rushers last year, 4 of the top 5 were around Vereen's size, Frank Gore, Leasean McCoy, Jones Drew, and Ray Rice. My feeling is that with the relatively easy passing rules coaches would rather have a back that can be a dual threat and many of those guys I listed are exactly that. If you can do two things well you will see the field more than a guy who can only do one well, and in turn get the rushes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Vareen got dropped on the depth chart because he got to camp late negotiating his rookie contract before he got hurt, Ridley was in camp early and had proven himself as a 1-A back candidate.

But Vareen is incredibly strong, a smooth runner and great receiver so there is no reason he couldn't become a starter. Barry Sanders had the same amount of mass he has, wasn't a pile mover by any means, but was a threat to hit a home run on any given play.

My favorite comparison for the best that Vareen could possibly become would be LaDainian Tomlinson even though he is intensely hated on this board...