Will these rookie WRs be quality enough by seasons end?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Will these rookie WRs be quality enough by seasons end?

Everyone's automatically assuming that once these guys plays a few more weeks and get things clicking with Brady that things will be all good.

I'm not so sure. If someone has statistics, I'm sure it'll show that you're not going to see tremendous improvement within the first season. Take out the Freaks such as Megatron, Jones, green and you'll see that most of these "talented prospects" wont drastically improve by seasons end.

Recent Wrs taken within the first two rounds: Jonathan Baldwin, Titus Young, Torrey Smith, Greg Little, Randall Cobb, Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, AJ Jenkins, Brian Quick, Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffrey, Ryan Broyles, Rueben Randle.

As far as rookie campaigns, Torrey Smith was probably the best of the bunch. Are any of the WRs as good a prospect as Smith was? I'm not sure....but I'd be happy if at least one of them put up similar numbers as Torrey...I just dont think its that super likely.

I'm sure one defense will be that most of these WRs didnt have a legendary QB throwing it to them. True, but that hasn't worked out for a lot of WRs in our system, so it's not a selling point for me. Edelman might be the best rookie WR we've had since Branch.

I want these kids to all end up as part of the next great group of Patriots...but it concerns me that so many people are just pretending the current receiver group is not an issue and that things will be drastically be better once they develop chemistry with Brady...like that's an automatic thing. What if Brady loses more trust in these guys as the season wears on? What if that chemistry never develops as it didn't with Galloway or Ochocinco?

I think our WRs are a legitimate concern. A lot hinges on the health of Amendola and Gronkowski...too much for me to feel comfortable.

This isn't like the 2001-2004 Patriots...this is more like 2006...except now we're in a more offensive era where it's more likely that games will result in a shootout.

It's not doom and gloom for this team, because when you look at the last two Super Bowl winners, they were in more dire situations than us...but I'm not going to pretend like there's no legitimate issue with this team. We should still go 3-0 after next week, then things start to get interesting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: Will these rookie WRs be quality enough by seasons end?

I don't know about Dobson. He seems to go opposite the direction that TB wants him to. He drops balls he should catch.

I am fine with KT.

I am looking forward to seeing Boyce on the field.

Pats would be in great shape if one of the three work out by just past mid season. Amendola, Gronk and Vereen will be back. You still have Edelman. One of the rookies emerging to be good enough to add to that would be great.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Well, I looked up Smith's rookie year and he did not do anything until week 3 so there is still hope (he literally did not have a pass thrown to him in the first two games).

Realistically, if Amendola and Gronk stay healthy, one of these guys will need to be the number four option in the passing game (especially with Vereen missing half the season) behind the two of them and Edelman. In the past, this has meant total receptions in the 40s. The issue right now is the sheer number of targets the rookie WRs are getting. Boyce, Dobson and Thompkins have 9 catches on 33 targets that is 27%. Good WRs catch about 70% of passes thrown their way. The average NFL WR catches around 60%.  That is a bit worrisome... To get to 40 receptions this season, Thompkins will need to have about 140 passes thrown to him at his current pace. 

I am not talking about drops here, I am simply talking about receptions as a percentage of targets. Guys with higher yards per catch (like Torrey Smith) tend to have lower percentages. In fact, Smith had one of the worst in the NFL last catching only 45% of his targets.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Everyone's automatically assuming that once these guys plays a few more weeks and get things clicking with Brady that things will be all good.

Didn't they say that about Ocho?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

I don't know about Dobson. He seems to go opposite the direction that TB wants him to. He drops balls he should catch.

I am fine with KT.

I am looking forward to seeing Boyce on the field.

Pats would be in great shape if one of the three work out by just past mid season. Amendola, Gronk and Vereen will be back. You still have Edelman. One of the rookies emerging to be good enough to add to that would be great.

Agreed about Dobson, but its still real early, cant wait to see Boyce

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yeah they are rooks. Rooks take time. They could develop this year or they couldn't. The fact we have to rely on them is a huge mistake because most rooks are never good out of the gate and unless you are a top end talent coming out it usually takes longer than a full season to get up to speed. The management is doing Brady a great dishonor not putting the proper receiver core around him to not only allow the rooks to develop but also to make sure Brady has someone to throw to

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

There's obviously some concern but I do think that this set of rookie receivers has the potential to improve each week. Thompkins played better this week than he did against the Bills. This was Dobson's first week playing in a real NFL game and he looked and acted like Thompkins did last week. Let's see how the group does next week and hopefully we'll see them make more improvements.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I want these kids to all end up as part of the next great group of Patriots...but it concerns me that so many people are just pretending the current receiver group is not an issue and that things will be drastically be better once they develop chemistry with Brady...like that's an automatic thing. What if Brady loses more trust in these guys as the season wears on? What if that chemistry never develops as it didn't with Galloway or Ochocinco?

I think our WRs are a legitimate concern. A lot hinges on the health of Amendola and Gronkowski...too much for me to feel comfortable.

I don't get that impression.  Seems like there are quite a few posters who think that all the new rookie WRs/TEs/Receivers are a concern - but, we're also aware that they're rookies. Bottom line is that it takes time and experience. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

And when Gronk is healthy as well as DA...how will these guys develop? Brady won't be throwing it to the rookies, he will be forcing throws to receivers he trusts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Didn't they say that about Ocho?

I'm pretty sure I didn't Laughing
    Never did understand that pick up, other than, they are/were friends and respected each other. Plus, Cero is a veteran and was expected to adapt more quickly because of his experience. We eventually found out that the playbook was way outside his abilities.

IMO, I don't expect much from the rookie WRs or TEs. Others need to step up - and, some have (aka, Edelman and Vereen).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

No, they're really not.  

Everyone is assuming the sky is falling and things cannot get better.  Belichick's teams, health provided, always get better as the season rolls on, not worse.

I'll prepare you for an eventuality right now, this team will not go undefeated and will lose some games, but don't slit your wrists yet because you may want to stick around for the end.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

No, they're really not.  

Everyone is assuming the sky is falling and things cannot get better.  Belichick's teams, health provided, always get better as the season rolls on, not worse.

I'll prepare you for an eventuality right now, this team will not go undefeated and will lose some games, but don't slit your wrists yet because you may want to stick around for the end.

LOL!  Well said.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I am really surprised at how badly KT played. ALso surprised at how badly Dobson had so many drops. My feeling about the rookie WRs is waivering after this ... but it still is only one game.

First thing is they need to catch balls that they get their hands on. Even if they are not on the same page as TB they have to make what plays they can. 

This is only one game. So I am not panicking but I am concerned.

Unfortunately we could not run the ball either and except for one run or maybe two it was due to the Jets front winning the battles in the trenches. The one strong message for either of the teams was that the Jets have a really good run D. 

I add that I was happy to see the pass rush finally start to show itself in the second half especially. That will make a difference if they keep at it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

I am really surprised at how badly KT played. ALso surprised at how badly Dobson had so many drops. My feeling about the rookie WRs is waivering after this ... but it still is only one game.

First thing is they need to catch balls that they get their hands on. Even if they are not on the same page as TB they have to make what plays they can. 

This is only one game. So I am not panicking but I am concerned.

Unfortunately we could not run the ball either and except for one run or maybe two it was due to the Jets front winning the battles in the trenches. The one strong message for either of the teams was that the Jets have a really good run D. 

I add that I was happy to see the pass rush finally start to show itself in the second half especially. That will make a difference if they keep at it.

Dobson didn't have as many "drops" as he simply didn't get his head around in time, he wasn't ready for Brady to rocket it in there.  This can improve.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I don't see 'everyone assuming' anything.  What I see is the BDC Pats forum running true to form.   There are those who choose to be critical - and with reason.  And then there are those who choose to be optimistic - also with reason.

I saw nothing wrong with Dobson that timing, becoming comfortable in the Pats offense and getting beyond rookie jitters won't cure.  I saw growth in KT.  Yes, upon review the official made the correct call on that near-catch in the EZ but KT was in position to make a play on that ball and came close to doing so.  He also made a nice catch on a deep out.  

By all means, look at the rookies any way you choose.  I see promise in Dobson and KT.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

No, they're really not.  

[/QUOTE]

That's the problem Wozzy. The biggest problem is Brady top 4 targets:

Vereen, Gronk, Amendola, Edelman

All have missed major time over the last two years and none can stay health for extended periods of time. If they had a couple more durable vets it wouldn't be an issue but relying on health at this point  is like walking over a river right after it freezes. You never know when it will crack and you fall in. If not for the fragility of the main targets there would be no rush to get the rooks up to speed but if 2 out of the 4 are injured going into the playoffs (good chance given history) then the rooks need to be up to speed to pick up the slack, which is asking a lot for any rook.