Will we cash in that 2011 1st rounder now??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Re: Will we cash in that 2011 1st rounder now??

The Pats are going to complete a trade with the Oakland Raiders. With the Raiders giving up , their number 1 pick in this years draft selecting at spot # 8 and  running back Darren McFadden.

The Pats will give up their first and third second round picks in this years draft , their second round pick in next years draft and LB Adalius Thomas and starting left Tackle Matt Light.

The Patriots end up with two first round picks in 2010 and 2011 and Mc fadden. The Raiders end up with a starting left tackle, a starting LB and 2 second round picks in 2010 and an extra second round pick in 2011.

This is a great deal for both teams.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Rockdog, I see several potentially elite guys that are in positions of need in next years draft.  Who will be elite, no one knows until the season plays out and then they make it in the pros. However with Moss near the end, there are atleast 3 1 st rd rated WRs with height, good hands, have to wait and see the 40 times, a couple good DL, Peterson the CB I am hoping for, a solid RB that has the measurables a team wants. 
    As far as u saying based on my statement of the busts we should trade into this year.  Next year we dont lose any value keeping the pick, we lose atleast a rd in trading into this draft.  If we dont lose the rd, we are throwing in other picks and therefore losing chances at the solid players that last into the 2nd rd this year.  I wouldnt trade that pick into this year and I dont think the team will either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chino4858. Show Chino4858's posts

Russell is disgusting!! Way to blow it there Oak....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I definitely see where you are coming from. I think losing a round is a pretty conservative estimate. I would say maybe half a round to 2/3, but lets say it's a full round. In this case there's a lot riding on Oakland stinking next year. If they are average, we could get the same player at 15-20 next year than we could get 40-50 this year (if this is a very deep draft). You're argument works if Oakland stinks and they get another Seymour for 10 years, but there's a lot of risk. You are also losing the return of a high draft pick for 1 year, which isn't inconsequential. Think about the 2004 super bowl. Without any number of rookies contributing they don't win.

In Response to Re: Will we cash in that 2011 1st rounder now??:
    Rockdog, I see several potentially elite guys that are in positions of need in next years draft.  Who will be elite, no one knows until the season plays out and then they make it in the pros. However with Moss near the end, there are atleast 3 1 st rd rated WRs with height, good hands, have to wait and see the 40 times, a couple good DL, Peterson the CB I am hoping for, a solid RB that has the measurables a team wants.  As far as u saying based on my statement of the busts we should trade into this year.  Next year we dont lose any value keeping the pick, we lose atleast a rd in trading into this draft.  If we dont lose the rd, we are throwing in other picks and therefore losing chances at the solid players that last into the 2nd rd this year.  I wouldnt trade that pick into this year and I dont think the team will either.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joakimbrian. Show Joakimbrian's posts

DO NOT CASH IN THAT PICK! Do i have to remind u guys that heisman trophy winner MARK INGRAM is declaring for the draft!?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Rock, even if the Oak pick is say 15th, a round lost would be 47th, do u think for just that pick we could get a higher pick?  I dont. And although some say upto pick 50 is first rd talent, it doesnt mean the picks left at that time are areas of need for us or that the Pats feel all 50 are that good.  If Colt McCoy, is there for example, I still dont see us grabbing him or wanting him. 
    I know we are weak at WR and hope we get one this year.  However in any case, next years WRs appears to be much deeper and I might grab one then as well if we lose Moss.  Next years best Rb appears to be better than this years.  Next years best CB appears to be better than this years.  I do see the value of having a solid player this year, but every year has holes and an extra high pick can quickly fill that.  We could have a catastophic injury to a player we never thought of and need to replace them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patswirelessfan. Show patswirelessfan's posts

Why focus on trading the 2011 Oakland pick?  With that pick, it frees up our own 2011 1st round pick to trade.  

Keep Oaklands 1st round pick and find a trading partner for NE's own 2011 1st.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: Will we cash in that 2011 1st rounder now??:
    DO NOT CASH IN THAT PICK! Do i have to remind u guys that heisman trophy winner MARK INGRAM is declaring for the draft!?
    Posted by Joakimbrian

yeah what happens if he gets injured blows out a knee?  not good to say we save to pick Ingram, if you haven't noticed there are a lot of good backs in this year's draft.

I don't want to trade Oak's 1st but I think the Pats 2011 1st can come into play this year but probably won't happen.  Can see the pats trading a #2 to receive a #2 next and a #3 this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think there are a lot of trade scenarios that can come into play. Even if Oakland is pretty good, and lets say they are middle of the road, that gives us something in the top 10-15 picks. Looking at who is available next year, I see a few impact players I like in the top 10, one of which is Allen Bailey (DE out of Miami) that I think could solve our DE woes. He's 6'4, 288 (could stand to bulk up a bit). Also at DE is Cameron Heyward (6'6", 287)...Also there will be Mark Ingram, Michael Floyd, AJ Green, plus a slew of offensive linemen. 

So, if we decided to trade the Oakland 2011 first rounder into this year, what would it net us?...a 2nd round selection, and where would that selection fall?...low 40's or high 30's?....So lets say from 36-42...Who is projected in that range, and how would you rank them against the guys I have listed above? 

My point...I think the talent I listed above is probably better than who could be had in 36-42 spot this year...I have advocated in the past trading the Oakland pick, but after further analysis, not sure I would..

Now, as Pats has suggested, I think the Pats pick in 2011 could be in play...to me this is a bit more interesting...But again, have to weigh who could be had late in round 1 next vs. late in round 2 this...I think there are some quality OL that could be had next and a position of need especially next year. 

My 2 cents....