Williams or Finnegan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from neackerwitz. Show neackerwitz's posts

Williams or Finnegan?

Kudos to the Titans for not offering Courtland Finnegan extension.  Now its time for the Pats to capitalize on their mistake.  For a defense looking for a significant upgrade with money to spend this is our player!  No disrespect to Mario Williams but Finnegan played every snap last season!.  Mario is a great talent, but as a number one overall pick I dont think he would fit in with the rest of this group.  Finnegan was drafted in the SEVENTH ROUND !  Worked his way up to where he is today.  That is the kind of player the Pats have success with.  Hes got the credibility and stability this defense needs.

Any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: Williams or Finnegan?

My thought is you should research why the Titans told a guy like Finnegan they are moving on and didnt even try to resign him.

You dont think thats a red flag?

If that means he isnt gonna command big money, sure, bring em him.

I just think some other desperate team will snag him. Also, his strenght is man to man, in your face coverage, and he will be playing mostly zone here due to our inability to have a cohesive unit every year and will be lost in our system.

He needs to play for a team like the Jets or Redskins.

Oh, and no to Williams too.

Thats not our only choices are they?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

First of all, enough with the Mario talk, its not going to happen. We don't have the space needed to get Mario and still be able to accommodate the rookies(5 million right there), Welker( as of now, 9.4 million) and anybody else out of the 18 FA's we have...

As for Finnegan, I would like to see him here but Im guessing he goes to Detroit where they have a need for corner and a coach that knows Finnegan from their days in Tennessee.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In Response to Williams or Finnegan?:
    [QUOTE]Kudos to the Titans for not offering Courtland Finnegan extension.  Now its time for the Pats to capitalize on their mistake.  For a defense looking for a significant upgrade with money to spend this is our player!  No disrespect to Mario Williams but Finnegan played every snap last season!.  Mario is a great talent, but as a number one overall pick I dont think he would fit in with the rest of this group.  Finnegan was drafted in the SEVENTH ROUND !  Worked his way up to where he is today.  That is the kind of player the Pats have success with.  Hes got the credibility and stability this defense needs. Any thoughts?
    Posted by neackerwitz[/QUOTE]

Thought number 1: As I have said Mario can't play the position he was drafted for and is struggling as an outside pass rusher. No interest.

Thought number 2: My balding head got fried this summer so I may have some drain bramage but, to me, Finnegan has to be one of the most over-rated DBs in the league. Besides, I want Defensive Backs that are tough. I'm not interested a DB that can get dope slapped around by a Wide Receiver.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

Finnegans a punk with a little man complex.. cant stand him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

1.  Titans are letting Finnegan go because they have his replacement that's on a rookie deal in.

2.  They tagged their play making Safety Michael Griffin.

3.  Between being deep and having already a lot invested in their secondary of course they wont sign Finnegan to a big deal.

4.  Finnegan has been recognized at or around a top 10 CB, year in and year out.  Bascially he is very consistent.

5.  I have never heard any rumblings that he wasn't a good teammate, ever.

6.  The only people who hate him are the WR's that face him.  This guy plays so many mental and physical games, that he made Andre Johnson attack him.. I'm sorry but you want a guy who can frustrate WR's like that on your team.  Don't know why you don't like that out of the D, Ender??? imagine Rodney as a CB man... thats what this is.

7.  Brandon Carr will be paid more, so the asking price for Finnegan should be just under that.  Even if it is not too much, but still a cheaper option.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I dont hate the guy. He is good player but I do think he is a punk who gets by pushing people around, but if you beat his press , he is toast.

I think his rookie and 2nd year were his best years. I think his coverage skills are a little above average and his ability to play TEAM defense is a big question mark.

Now lets forget about all that I just said.  This is my question for you.

How can he be considered a top 10 CB but you then say he will had for cheaper $$ than B.Carr despite this being a weak CB f/a class.

Cant have it both ways. Either he REALLY is as good as you say, in which big money will be thrown at him, or he isnt that good and teams will shy away and to that I say, why would take a chance on him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Obviously money is the only part of this that makes things messy. 

He is a top 15 CB no matter the year.  He has been rated in and just out of the top 10 year after year.  So you get a feel for his consistency, and he plays the CB position like Rodney played safety.  He always gives 100% on the field. 

Now is he worth all the money?  Probably not.  But when I look at the Pats sdecondary... maybe, just maybe you wanna upgrade one of the spots.

Mario would just handicap everything and Pats don't like to pay players that are not already Pats... so I see how this just goes against everything BB does.

However, as far as CB's go there is revis and everyone else.  So maybe offer Finnegan something like 4 year 30 Mill, which he'd probably turn down but that's worth a try to me.

My point is Cortland is something our secondary has been missing for years... consistency and confidence.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

In Response to Re: Williams or Finnegan?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Williams or Finnegan? : Thought number 1: As I have said Mario can't play the position he was drafted for and is struggling as an outside pass rusher. No interest. Thought number 2: My balding head got fried this summer so I may have some drain bramage but, to me, Finnegan has to be one of the most over-rated DBs in the league. Besides, I want Defensive Backs that are tough. I'm not interested a DB that can get dope slapped around by a Wide Receiver.
    Posted by NoMorePensionLooting[/QUOTE]

#1 So you think Mario is a bad player? he can't play DE or OLB. Most consider him one of the best in the league at either spot. His first year as an OLB he was on pace for 16 sacks. yeah he sucks. I dont think the Pats should all their money into him but to say that he not good is just stupid. 

#2 Cortland is known for being physical. Thats what hes best at, getting into WR and jamming at the line, probably the best jam CB in the league. He also got punched by Andre Johnson only because he was in his head so much. Andre gets ejected and Cortland stayed in the game and laughing as he got hit. Oh and Cortland gives up 5 inches and 40 pounds to Johnson too. 

I think the difference with Brandon Carr and Cortland is that you know what your getting with Cortland. He is consistant and sometimes gives up big games but for the most part he consistant and tough. With Carr your getting a guy who could potentially by a top 5 corner. Every year he has gotten better and who knows his potential. With Carr some team will take a chance thinking hes going to be a star. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

"I think the difference with Brandon Carr and Cortland is that you know what your getting with Cortland. He is consistant and sometimes gives up big games but for the most part he consistant and tough. With Carr your getting a guy who could potentially by a top 5 corner. Every year he has gotten better and who knows his potential. With Carr some team will take a chance thinking hes going to be a star. "

Exactly..........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

If Cort would take a deal similar to the one we gave Bodden, I would say yes, but again, I just dont know if he is a fit here. Does anyone know his  instincts in zone coverage?  He is pretty decent on the island, but if we dont get a safety, you are not gonna want to see that play out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

[QUOTE]If Cort would take a deal similar to the one we gave Bodden, I would say yes, but again, I just dont know if he is a fit here. Does anyone know his  instincts in zone coverage?  He is pretty decent on the island, but if we dont get a safety, you are not gonna want to see that play out.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

One thing is that its easier to teach a DB zone coverage then man. I would think with Cortland you could have him jam off the line and still work a shallow zone with a safety over the top. I dont think he will end up with the Pats but it would be a major upgrade with our CB's. Cortland, McCourty, Ras-I, Arrington and Moore is very solid and it helps now that McCourty can line up at safety. I would feel very comfortable with those CB's maybe even Landry for a 1 year deal with incentives and the during the draft they could focus on the front 7. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]If Cort would take a deal similar to the one we gave Bodden, I would say yes, but again, I just dont know if he is a fit here. Does anyone know his  instincts in zone coverage?  He is pretty decent on the island, but if we dont get a safety, you are not gonna want to see that play out.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Great Avitar, better if it was a giant

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Williams or Finnegan? : One thing is that its easier to teach a DB zone coverage then man. I would think with Cortland you could have him jam off the line and still work a shallow zone with a safety over the top. I dont think he will end up with the Pats but it would be a major upgrade with our CB's. Cortland, McCourty, Ras-I, Arrington and Moore is very solid and it helps now that McCourty can line up at safety. I would feel very comfortable with those CB's maybe even Landry for a 1 year deal with incentives and the during the draft they could focus on the front 7. 
    Posted by maine12[/QUOTE]

That was my line of thinking.  He's great at jamming, and I would think he would play great zone with run D support. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

What in the world do you want with Finnegan? He is a creep. I don't want him here. At all. Period.

And what's more, I don't like him much. And in case you didn't already kow, his mother sows socks that smell.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Wouldn't Finnegan be Rodney at CB?

Whats wrong with that?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

To early to tell if Cortland is the leader Rodney is but he has the skill and toughness to be like Rodney.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

only thoughts i have are of andre johnson making finnegan's head his punching bag.