Williamson's Pats Offseason Grade: B

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: Williamson's Pats Offseason Grade: B

I'd go higher too. Most of these guys base their ratings on how many big names they sign. Last year they were all talking about how Buffalo was the big winner in FA, we saw how that worked out for them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Based on retention and the (not) overspending criteria alone, the Pats did pretty well.  Ok, Welker walked, but they got Vollmer and Talib back here on very reasonable "prove it to me" contracts that favor the Pats.  They got Arrington back at a # bigger number than I thought he would get, but I think he is a good slot corner who, if he doesn't need to play on the outside out of necessity, is a tough player.  As much as I liked Woodhead and thought Lloyd was serviceable, are they game changers?  I think their FA grade can get better if they can bring in an Abraham, get Lloyd back on short dollars, etc.  The floor for what they've done is a B.  Whatever publication gave them a D or whatever is looking strictly at Welker.       

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I think that is a pretty fair grade at this point in time with a solid chance to improve it with a few additional signings on the cheap. The obvious problem area is WR and for all the complaints about him I think I would give them a better grade if they had just kept Lloyd. The really did have the cap space necessary, and they would not be in quite the bind they currently are in. They need to add some WRs and beyond Edelman and Lloyd there isn't anyone I am all that excited about. Sanders is too expensive given the draft pick cost. BB could get 'squeezed' again in draft trades because everyone knows he has only 5 and desperately wants more - with only 4 it would be even worse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Svitek has my curiosity roused.  I want to hear about him in camp. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I think the grade is fair although I think these kinds of things are dumb to begin with.  Who gives a rat's patootie what Joe Schmuckatelli of the Idiotville Gazette thinks of the FA signings?

Now that I've gotten that out of my system I'm looking forward to seeing:

On offense:  Amendola and the other wideout acquisitions

On defense:  How the unit comes together with the A. Wilson, D. McCourty safety combo playing behind Talib/Dennard and the front 7.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

He also grades 

Broncos-A

Chiefs-A-

Colts-B+

Phins-B+

Ravens-C+

I think the feeling about the Pats signings are universal...I have yet to see anyone disagree with the signings:

Amendola-can he stay healthy

Vollmer-great player/good contract protection

Talib-can he stay healthy/out of trouble

Wilson-great player, is he too old

Washington-great return man, does he have any value at RB

Jones-health issues

Arrington-good system player. Pats need his consistency

Svitek-nice upside potential

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Anyone have that dumb ESPN Insider thing? Just curious what else is his analysis, but I agree with this so far, even if I'd go more like a B+ than just a B.

The grading system factors in the following:

1. General activity. A team is graded lower if it doesn't have any moves to analyze (e.g. Raiders). The highest grades go to teams that Williamson feels improved their rosters the most from the time free agency began, and how well the teams set themselves up for the draft.

2. Track record. Williamson acknowledges that he gives the benefit of the doubt to those with a solid track record.

3. Overspending a factor. Value is important in free agency, and Williamson docks some teams for overspending.

4. Can't overlook retention. Re-signings can be as important as signing players from other teams, and Williamson also factors that into the mix.

With this as a foundation, Williamson assigns the Patriots a "B" grade.

"The [Wes] Welker-for-[Danny] Amendola swap gets all the headlines, but New England did a very nice job reinforcing its secondary and bringing back [Sebastian] Vollmer, who I think is the best right tackle in the league. That was a fantastic move that didn't get the publicity it deserved, while [Will] Svitek now ranks as one of the better swing tackles in the league for depth," Williamson writes.

what did he grade the Giants?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Anyone have that dumb ESPN Insider thing? Just curious what else is his analysis, but I agree with this so far, even if I'd go more like a B+ than just a B.

1. General activity. A team is graded lower if it doesn't have any moves to analyze (e.g. Raiders). The highest grades go to teams that Williamson feels improved their rosters the most from the time free agency began, and how well the teams set themselves up for the draft.

2. Track record. Williamson acknowledges that he gives the benefit of the doubt to those with a solid track record.

3. Overspending a factor. Value is important in free agency, and Williamson docks some teams for overspending.

4. Can't overlook retention. Re-signings can be as important as signing players from other teams, and Williamson also factors that into the mix.

"The [Wes] Welker-for-[Danny] Amendola swap gets all the headlines, but New England did a very nice job reinforcing its secondary and bringing back [Sebastian] Vollmer, who I think is the best right tackle in the league. That was a fantastic move that didn't get the publicity it deserved, while [Will] Svitek now ranks as one of the better swing tackles in the league for depth," Williamson writes.

I have only seen AFC teams graded so far.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I have only seen AFC teams graded so far.

ok thanks...i am interested to see what he says

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Who cares

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

And by the way - just went on ESPN and the grade now posted is a B+ for the Pats.

Is Williamson an AFC blogger and will someone else do the NFC?

In any case, reading through his comments I think he is pretty consistent and fair. It is all a bit of hooey but a fun exercise.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

And by the way - just went on ESPN and the grade now posted is a B+ for the Pats.

In any case, reading through his comments I think he is pretty consistent and fair. It is all a bit of hooey but a fun exercise.

yeah it is both...just like the draft analysis it is fun and there is certainly a science to it but at the end of the day it is speculation and projection by everyone, from the GM's to the Kipers/Mayock's to the fans

the thing that fascinates me and i think so many are the ones that come out of nowhere ie: unknown or aren't too well thought of and are drafted low who turn out to be all pros, even HOFers

Brady: 6th Rd  Montana: 3rd Rd  Warner: undrafted  Rice: whoever heard of Miss Valley State? before or since   and on and on

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

My apologies. Giants were graded;

New York Giants

Key additions: T Will Beatty (re-signed), DT Cullen Jenkins, TE Brandon Myers, LB Dan Connor, G Kevin Boothe (re-signed), CB Aaron Ross, DT Shaun Rogers (re-signed)
    Key losses: TE Martellus Bennett, S Kenny Phillips, DT Chris Canty, RB Ahmad Bradshaw, LBMichael Boley

Analysis: Locking up Beatty was the biggest thing New York did, and it did so at a very reasonable rate. Jenkins still offers quite a bit in a rotation, particularly as an interior pass-rusher on throwing downs. Behind Jenkins & Co., Connor is a tough run-plugger who will make plays but won't excel every down. Myers is a very good receiver, but he isn't the overall impact player Bennett could be and offers very little as a blocker. The Giants now will be playing against Phillips (Eagles) twice a year, and he is a substantial loss. This is a very strong organization that has gotten value thus far this offseason but also is very tight against the cap.

Grade: C+

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

I believe he still has them as B. the grade is under the write up, not above

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

My apologies. Giants were graded;

New York Giants

Key additions: T Will Beatty (re-signed), DT Cullen Jenkins, TE Brandon Myers, LB Dan Connor, G Kevin Boothe (re-signed), CB Aaron Ross, DT Shaun Rogers (re-signed)
    Key losses: TE Martellus Bennett, S Kenny Phillips, DT Chris Canty, RB Ahmad Bradshaw, LBMichael Boley

Analysis: Locking up Beatty was the biggest thing New York did, and it did so at a very reasonable rate. Jenkins still offers quite a bit in a rotation, particularly as an interior pass-rusher on throwing downs. Behind Jenkins & Co., Connor is a tough run-plugger who will make plays but won't excel every down. Myers is a very good receiver, but he isn't the overall impact player Bennett could be and offers very little as a blocker. The Giants now will be playing against Phillips (Eagles) twice a year, and he is a substantial loss. This is a very strong organization that has gotten value thus far this offseason but also is very tight against the cap.

Grade: C+

hmmm....i think it's been a little better than that, especially with Reese's rep for finding some hidden gems and players playing pretty well when they get to the Giants organization

I would go B-

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I can assume they would have got graded a bit better had they not let a couple guys go.  But I'm not going to mention that here.

Wait!! What???

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I can assume they would have got graded a bit better had they not let a couple guys go.  But I'm not going to mention that here.

Wait!! What???

well i will say TFB that if after week 16 this coming season welker is his usual 100+ 1200-1500 and oh Danny Boy goes 65 800 and misses 4 games... :  )

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Wait!! What???

well i will say TFB that if after week 16 this coming season welker is his usual 100+ 1200-1500 and oh Danny Boy goes 65 800 and misses 4 games... :  )

Too much talent around Welker in Denver to get that type of production.  Hopefully there will be too much talent around Amendola for him to get that much production too!!  And what I really hope is an over all healthy season by all players.  I would love to see what the offense could do with no injuries to Gronk, AH81 and Amendola and all on the field the entire season or for at least the last half of the season.  Is that really too much to ask? lol!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

well i guess so far i cant disagree with a B+, but im going to wait until after the draft to say how i feel about it.  they are headed in the right direction, but still have some moves to make.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i disagre with the broncos getting an A though.....they signed welker and DRC, yes......but they lost dumervil and williams.....and their defense was the problem to begin with.