With Gaffney Gone (for now), We really dont have a Lloyd Replacement, so let's hope he holds up all year.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

With Gaffney Gone (for now), We really dont have a Lloyd Replacement, so let's hope he holds up all year.

between branch and gaffney, with salas here, youd think we need gaffney more than branch. after lloyd there

is no outside/down the field guy. lloyd better stay

healthy all year. (its nice to have branches intelligence and reliability. however his legs late in the year

prevent him from doing much very often).  

gaffs locker is clear. branches is still there. if that means anything. it would seem bb may be comfortable going

with branch, salas, welker, lloyd. will he try salas at punt and kick return. if he does and is ok there, do we

consider relaesing edelman. or wait a year to see if he will be obselete (salas replacing his wr snaps and

demps his punt and kick snaps).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: With Gaffney Gone (for now), We really dont have a Lloyd Replacement, so let's hope he holds up all year.

I think Branch is the speed dial guy if Lloyd goes down or Salas doesn't pan out.  I agree that another deep threat would be nice and wouldn't be surprised to see Gaffney back.  I doubt they cut Edelman, since I think he's the primary punt/kick returner at this point.  The wild card in my opinion is Slater--do they think he can do more as a deep receiver this year?  He hasn't shown much as a receiver through his career, but rumours were he was making good catches in practice.   If Slater can provide a second deep presence, then Gaffney may be redundant unless there's an injury. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Re: With Gaffney Gone (for now), We really dont have a Lloyd Replacement, so let's hope he holds up all year.

Wide receiver is really the biggest question mark on this team.  Limited reps by vets, unknown newcomers... even Welker and Brady are not a "sure thing " since they are a year older in their 30s...

then you look at pass protection issues and a revolving door in the offensive line. I think week 1 we're going to see a lot of Ridley and bolden running the ball.

Slater doesn't have the hands to be a true deep threat.  He should stay on STs...  Lloyd better show he can separate downfield and Brady needs to get the ball out on time.

Hernandez is the de-facto wide receiver in the mix which helps as long  as Brady doesn't lock onto him and telegraph his throws.

Edelman is an excellent punt returner and the quasi 3rd QB as well as emergency db, slot, etc. I would bet Julian Edelman will have a spot on this team as long as he stays in game shape and healthy. 

Agreed branch must be on speed dial for week 2 and his release has to do with roster juggling that is beyond my understanding.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Holy smokes we're not going to start the hand wringing over wide receivers now are we?

Gaffney could never burn a defense over the top the way Lloyd can, he just isn't fast.  Salas has a skill set much closer to Brandon.  I don't know what the Gaffney obsession is about around here anyhow, there has been countless threads about him, never have we had so much adoration for a guy who did so little in a Pats uniform?   Just don't get it.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

You'll win the antagonist award... you're the far and away winner. 

I wasn't giving BredBru grief, just trying to give my opinion minus personal attacks and overall jerkish behavior.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

We broke the all time record for passing yards last year, then we signed the guy who has lead the league in targets of over 20 yards in the last 2 years. Oh and the only man to not have 1 drop in his targets of over 20 yards the last 2 years.

Don't worry about the receiver position, worry about RB depth and the impact a good run game can have on the passing game.

"72. Since 2008, there have been 20 receivers with more than 65 targets of at least 21 yards downfield. The only one not to drop a deep ball? Brandon Lloyd (88 targets).

73. Over the past two seasons, with Josh McDaniels as his head coach or primary offensive coordinator, Lloyd was the most targeted receiver on throws deeper than 20 yards downfield, with 73 such targets."

Btw he has been under thrown 50% of times the last 2 years with Orton and Bradford throwing him the ball. He lines up primarily outside the numbers and those guys completed 48% of their passes to him.

Brady completes 64% of his throws to receivers lined up outside the numbers for the last 3 years.

Again. We're looking better then almost any team in the league at the pass catching options. We run 2 TE sets more then any team in the league, another reason the receiver position is great with 2 pro bowlers like WW and Lloyd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

I'd think the only real concern this team has is the O-line, and it's mostly about performance than availability which in my view is a good thing to have. Now, we all know the key to our offense is the time the O-line gives brady to scan the field, I could careless of who we have at the receiver position. The questions we should ask are: Is Solder going to be up to the task to protect brady? Is mankins healthy enough? Is SeaBass back problems gone? Is Waters coming back after week 1? Has the D improved on the field as it has on paper? Can our RB corp be effective?...And those question will only be answered as the season goes on....but the WR position  should be the least of our concern...Besides we have asked all of the above many times, and have come away with the same answer every time....Let the games be played first and see what we have, and then make our own assesment on the quality of the team performance.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Gaffney is interesting because he adds diversity and depth. He's not a top tier receiver nor is he in any way critical to the offense, but if Lloyd goes down, the perimeter presence we didn't have last year but have now is gone. Gaffney also allows us to put a second deep-route guy on the field if we want to stretch the defense. Is it critical? Hardly. Is it nice to have? Probably. That's the only reason he keeps coming up. 

But if Josh really thinks Salas can do everything Gaffney could and more then we're fine. if Slater can be the back-up to Lloyd then we're fine too. But depth at receiver is a good thing to have because even if we run a lot we're still going to throw at least half the time and probably more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

Sorry, Wozzy, he dances in and out with antangonist, negative nelly/worst case scenario doomed type threads.

I spend more time than that explaining my points.  Has this board gotten so bad to the point trollish behavior is now promoted?

Nobody ever asked you to police this place.  Just argue the topic instead of the person posting and you'll be better received.  Even Babe has taken on a newer friendlier posture, is it too much to ask you to do the same?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Isn't Ocho still available? There was a guy here that used to tell everyone that he gets open deep regularly and if it weren't for Brady just blatantly ignoring the poor guy's talent he would of been a real weapon. Maybe it will work out now that McDaniels is calling the shots?

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

According to the Miami Herald, the Dolphins have "passed on" working out free agent Deion Branch.

The Dolphins haven't been connected to Branch since his release from the Pats, and it doesn't sound like they will be going forward. It could be taken as a poor sign for Branch's future that the league's receiver-neediest team isn't interested in his services, but a deal wouldn't be terribly sensible for either side. Branch shouldn't go unsigned this season.