With PI (Peyton Interference) Calls, No Way Indy Doesn't Make Super Bowl

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

With PI (Peyton Interference) Calls, No Way Indy Doesn't Make Super Bowl

Look, I get it. The Colts don't win just because of the timely PI calls. But when you give a guy like Peyton those extra chances from BS calls, the Colts are going to get points. Check out the last seven games of penalty comparison with the Colts:

Colts Opponent
    3-25 10-129
    5-40 2-20
    3-20 4-72
    4-40 13-103
    5-38 7-50
    6-51 5-73
    7-48 9-89

Are they that much better coached than everyone else? No. The penalties in the opponent columns are skewed in terms of yardage. Meaning they are likely PI calls. Now look at the penalty to yardage on the Colts. It's much more balanced and appears to be a few false starts, holding, etc. So let me get this straight - when teams play the Colts, the only time PI is called is when Peyton is making a pass - not when the other team is. So he gets one free 30+ yard play a game. People call the QB below the knees the Brady Rule? They should call PI Peyton Interference. It is ridiculous. And because of that rule, any team that wants to beat then Colts will have to be talented, perfect, and beat that 12th man.

Garbage!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: With PI (Peyton Interference) Calls, No Way Indy Doesn't Make Super Bowl

AND... don't you think the Colts KNOW they are getting these calls?  They may never admit it out loud, but it has to be in the back of their minds.  Their opponents get these flags while their defense does not.  Makes a big difference in how aggressive you play knowing the zebras have a tendency to pocket the flag when the Colts are on D.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

You know how Belichick does things like mess with the injury report, used to leave the field uncovered, had players fake injuries to stop momentum, etc., well I believe Manning does the same thing with officials in the passing game.  Even though he cannot get to the refs that are downfield making the PI calls, I believe he does work to influence their judgement. 

The question I have is, "if he does try to do this, do you blame him"?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

As a Pats Fan Yes I agree it was the PI in the NE game that was not a PI that turned the game around for the Colts not the 2 yd pass play.

I will also say some WR have the ability to push off and never have a call made and Moss is real good at it

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

That first PI call early in the second half was absolute garbage. He hardly touched the receiver on a uncatchable ball. This was the turning point of the game, it gave the Colts momentum and they never looked back even though at that point in the game they were still down.
    I know there's a chosen few (Brady included) that get some things go their way because of how good they are but cut the s*hit with giving Manning these calls over and over. 

btw-check out that Wayne go ahead TD and tell me he didn't push off with his right arm. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

In Response to Re: With PI (Peyton Interference) Calls, No Way Indy Doesn't Make Super Bowl:
    [QUOTE]The question I have is, "if he does try to do this, do you blame him"?
    Posted by underdoggg[/QUOTE]

Not one bit. My qualm is with the refs. Call it both ways or don't call it. It's like the protecting the QB rule. I think the refs do call that both ways. We have benefited and have been sc**ed as well (Buffalo game?).

And when I say both ways I don't mean the 2007 game. The refs called it both ways there. PI on the Pats D and PI on Randy Moss. 

So, as I said, if the refs continue to give Manning the momentum back when the Colts are down, there will be no way to beat them because they are almost impossible to beat when they are ahead and can fully unleash Mathis and Freeney.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: With PI (Peyton Interference) Calls, No Way Indy Doesn't Make Super Bowl:
    [QUOTE]You know how Belichick does things like mess with the injury report, used to leave the field uncovered, had players fake injuries to stop momentum, etc., well I believe Manning does the same thing with officials in the passing game.  Even though he cannot get to the refs that are downfield making the PI calls, I believe he does work to influence their judgement.  The question I have is, "if he does try to do this, do you blame him"?
    Posted by underdoggg[/QUOTE]

First: Belichick always complied with injury report rules.  The injury report was created for BETTORS, not for other teams.  Good teams prepare for every possibility, anyway.

Second: Fair point - I used that same argument to justify Brady asking for the roughing call on Terrell Suggs, although at first glance it did look dirty (took a replay to show it wasn't necessarily dirty).

My first qualm:  When Peyton asks for PI calls, HE GETS THEM.  ALWAYS

My BIGGEST qualm:  THE COLTS ARE NEVER CALLED FOR PASS INTERFERENCE (and they make JUST AS MUCH CONTACT DOWNFIELD AS THEIR OPPONENTS DO)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Funny.  I was looking at comments on a Fox Sports article about the game, and none of the Texan fans noted bad calls.  Maybe they're counting on y'all doing their whining for them.  Or, much more likely, this whole "Colts getting all the calls" thing is an invention of whiny Pat fans.  I still haven't seen any of the calls in question, but stats cited above mean NOTHING.  Fact is: 11-0 teams get to that record by avoiding penalties.  Also, those who commit penalties get called for penalties.  Simple as that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Funny.  I was looking at comments on a Fox Sports article about the game, and none of the Texan fans noted bad calls.  Maybe they're counting on y'all doing their whining for them.  Or, much more likely, this whole "Colts getting all the calls" thing is an invention of whiny Pat fans.  I still haven't seen any of the calls in question, but stats cited above mean NOTHING.  Fact is: 11-0 teams get to that record by avoiding penalties.  Also, those who commit penalties get called for penalties.  Simple as that.
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]

B*llsh*t

watch some game footage and get schooled, son.  The Colts' corners bump receivers 10-12 yards downfield as part of their Cover 2 scheme.  This is fact.  They also almost never get called for illegal contact when they do it.  This is also fact.

Randy Moss was tackled in the end zone by the cornerback in the second quarter of the Patriots' game against the Colts.  The cornerback wasn't playing the ball because he initiated contact before the ball arrived and never touched it (Bethea intercepted it).  No call was made on the cornerback for interference.  In that same game, Darius Butler was facing the line of scrimmage and jumping for the ball.  Austin Collie puts his hand on Butler's shoulder to either hold Butler down or give himself a boost to jump higher.  He flies into the air higher than white genetics were intended to handle and topples over.  A flag is thrown for a 31-yard pass interference penalty in Collie's favor.

Did I blame the game on the penalties?  No.  But my point that the calls of illegal contact and pass interference are grossly in the Colts' favor despite equal commission of the infraction is entirely justified, but I doubt you understand those three-syllable words.

Yours is the view of a simpleton.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

[QUOTE]That first PI call early in the second half was absolute garbage. He hardly touched the receiver on a uncatchable ball. This was the turning point of the game, it gave the Colts momentum and they never looked back even though at that point in the game they were still down. I know there's a chosen few (Brady included) that get some things go their way because of how good they are but cut the s*hit with giving Manning these calls over and over.  btw-check out that Wayne go ahead TD and tell me he didn't push off with his right arm. 
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

My brother lives in Indianapolis and is unfortunately a Colts fan.  He said that even Colts fans agree that the first PI was a terrible call.     

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

Agreed that the big PI calls in the Pats-Colts and Texans-Colts games were bad ones, but don't buy the conspiracy theory. 
    That is one of the reasons to throw otherwise-risky long passes, you will get a few of these bogus calls.
    I think the tendency is for fewer of the tacky PI flags in the playoffs; Belichick will know this and plan accordingly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swifttight. Show Swifttight's posts

Next Colts game, let's see how many PI's they get. I say their average,2 -3.

So far they've gotten that much for all of their 11 games, a total of up to 30. Spygate vs PI, which is more effective to help your team win ball games.  You do the math

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

Totally agree with all points here...yesterday was a joke...it seems the league wants them to win...cause they sure been gettin some phantom calls... what other reason is there for this?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to With PI (Peyton Interference) Calls, No Way Indy Doesn't Make Super Bowl:
    [QUOTE]Look, I get it. The Colts don't win just because of the timely PI calls. But when you give a guy like Peyton those extra chances from BS calls, the Colts are going to get points. Check out the last seven games of penalty comparison with the Colts: Colts Opponent 3-25 10-129 5-40 2-20 3-20 4-72 4-40 13-103 5-38 7-50 6-51 5-73 7-48 9-89 Are they that much better coached than everyone else? No. The penalties in the opponent columns are skewed in terms of yardage. Meaning they are likely PI calls. Now look at the penalty to yardage on the Colts. It's much more balanced and appears to be a few false starts, holding, etc. So let me get this straight - when teams play the Colts, the only time PI is called is when Peyton is making a pass - not when the other team is. So he gets one free 30+ yard play a game. People call the QB below the knees the Brady Rule? They should call PI Peyton Interference. It is ridiculous. And because of that rule, any team that wants to beat then Colts will have to be talented, perfect, and beat that 12th man. Garbage!
    Posted by Caesar1177[/QUOTE]

What a phenomenal post. "Peyton Interference" I LOVE IT. Well Done. The proof is in the pudding. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

20 in a row????  You mean 11 straight?  Don't forget about those pesky Chargers in the wildcard round you clown.  Who gives a flip about consecutive regualr season wins if you're 1 and done in the playoffs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: With PI (Peyton Interference) Calls, No Way Indy Doesn't Make Super Bowl : B*llsh*t watch some game footage and get schooled, son.  The Colts' corners bump receivers 10-12 yards downfield as part of their Cover 2 scheme.  This is fact.  They also almost never get called for illegal contact when they do it.  This is also fact. Randy Moss was tackled in the end zone by the cornerback in the second quarter of the Patriots' game against the Colts.  The cornerback wasn't playing the ball because he initiated contact before the ball arrived and never touched it (Bethea intercepted it).  No call was made on the cornerback for interference.  In that same game, Darius Butler was facing the line of scrimmage and jumping for the ball.  Austin Collie puts his hand on Butler's shoulder to either hold Butler down or give himself a boost to jump higher.  He flies into the air higher than white genetics were intended to handle and topples over.  A flag is thrown for a 31-yard pass interference penalty in Collie's favor. Did I blame the game on the penalties?  No.  But my point that the calls of illegal contact and pass interference are grossly in the Colts' favor despite equal commission of the infraction is entirely justified, but I doubt you understand those three-syllable words. Yours is the view of a simpleton.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

This is my point.  Y'all see every one of these plays the way you want to.  If the situation was reversed, and that was Welker instead of Collie, you'd all agree it was blatant interference.  I saw Collie slow down for the ball and Butler bump into him fairly forcebly from behind, knocking Collie down.  In my book, that's interference according to the current rules.  Root disagrees, and insists it was simply incidental contact.  (I have to put that in there, b/c Enoch will be here shortly to impart that I don't know the rule, and that he explained it clearly but I refuse to listen to the facts.)  I give you all kudos for being great home-town fans (and I think you would all proudly admit to that), but penalties aren't called any differently for the Colts than for any other team.  You're letting your personal hatred of the Colts cloud your vision. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

[QUOTE]Do you know how ridiculous you look crying about refs, when we have won twenty straight? [/QUOTE]

Real men don't count the "Regular season win streaks." Talk to me when you can say 21 in a row between two seasn - with no playoff losses in between and super bowl titles in both years.

I got your twenty in a row right here pal.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

[QUOTE]You bitches amaze me, you have a game on MNF, and you are crying about calls your team isn't even involved in. Is this some obsession, or do you trolls just whine? Do you know how ridiculous you look crying about refs, when we have won twenty straight? We've been talking about it here, and it's obvious that your fear is manifesting itself. You are so obsessed with your situation as a has been team, you have nothing else to grasp. How do you possibly complain when your team is sanctioned by the NFL FOR CHEATING. That's why you look like idiots. If the Raiders complained that's one thing, but from a team who cheated, and a qb who cries for flags just shut up, you look pathetic. For all you Saints fans get ready for the crying, here are a few favorites. pumped in crowd noise, turned up heat, Peyton has lunch with the refs, every play the cheats make is pure skill, everyone else must be the refs. All those years where you beat us in that sesspool, and you didn't hear us cry when you were raping our receivers. Just face it, your run is over, the tides have turned, your a has been team. I want all you babies here to complain when the Saints wax you.
    Posted by ColtsMan73[/QUOTE]

I second the motion!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oakstreetfunding. Show oakstreetfunding's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed that the big PI calls in the Pats-Colts and Texans-Colts games were bad ones, but don't buy the conspiracy theory.  That is one of the reasons to throw otherwise-risky long passes, you will get a few of these bogus calls. I think the tendency is for fewer of the tacky PI flags in the playoffs; Belichick will know this and plan accordingly.  
    Posted by BobinVa[/QUOTE]

Colts fan here.  Your post is one of the few with reason behind it; these conspiracy theories are a joke.  My daily entertainment is to come to the Globe and read what the homers are saying, it's quite amusing to see how the Colts are in the majorities heads here.  The Pats are winners but few who post here are-in fact I laugh at the whining-most of you could stand a little fresh air. :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

[QUOTE]If the situation was reversed, and that was Welker instead of Collie, you'd all agree it was blatant interference.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I'd say we were the beneficiary of a BS call, but we still have to take advantage. Which I readily admit the Colts do. Not all teams would. But the Colts CONSISTENTLY get BS calls. 2005 anyone? Polamalu intercepts a pass, rolls around, gets a cup of cappuccino, gets up, drops the balls, and picks it up. Incomplete! Incomplete?????

I'm not saying the NFL intentionally WANTS the Colts to win, but the officiating is so stilted towards Manning, it is turning me off to the NFL just like the NBA refs did.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from diablotin. Show diablotin's posts

The Patriots don't worry about what the refs do.  The Patriots go out on the field and control the part of the game they can control - doing their job.  Bad calls and missed calls happen every week, in every game, to every team.  It's what you do with those opportunities (or challenges) that makes you great.  The Colts take advantage of them. Even after those calls, the Colts still had to score and win the game.  Forget the officiating, it's always going to be suspect.

After the "Tuck Rule" call, the Raiders had PLENTY of chances to still win the game, but failed to do so.  They couldn't even convert a 3rd and inches in the snow (sad). So, one call - or even 10 calls - does not a Super Bowl make. You STILL have to execute.  Last time I checked, the refs never just awarded any team 6 points... the team still has to get the ball in the endzone (or stop the opponent from doing it).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I saw Collie basically block Butler from behind while Butler was trying to play the ball. Randy Moss has been called for offensive PI for that a few time over the last couple of years for doing the same thing Collie did.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: With PI (Peyton Interference) Calls, No Way Indy Doesn't Make Super Bowl : This is my point.  Y'all see every one of these plays the way you want to.  If the situation was reversed, and that was Welker instead of Collie, you'd all agree it was blatant interference.  I saw Collie slow down for the ball and Butler bump into him fairly forcebly from behind, knocking Collie down.  In my book, that's interference according to the current rules.  Root disagrees, and insists it was simply incidental contact.  (I have to put that in there, b/c Enoch will be here shortly to impart that I don't know the rule, and that he explained it clearly but I refuse to listen to the facts.)  I give you all kudos for being great home-town fans (and I think you would all proudly admit to that), but penalties aren't called any differently for the Colts than for any other team.  You're letting your personal hatred of the Colts cloud your vision. 
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]

I'm not letting hatred cloud anything.

Calls were made.  ONE WAY.

I wouldn't care that the Colts got the call if they called it BOTH WAYS (the cornerback DID hit Moss before the ball arrived, which is what allowed Bethea to outjump a clearly superior athlete to intercept the ball).  The Colts commit the infraction just as often as anyone else, but have yet to be penalized for it this year.  It's ridiculous.

I respect the Colts for being a good team and having tremendous success this year (see my lambasting of Paul_K for his absurd "power" rankings board), but they're being handed free yardage when they shouldn't need it.

The pass interference calls that they get in their favor but that ARE ALSO NEVER CALLED AGAINST THEM are just plain wrong.  There's no way around it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: With PI (Peyton Interference) Calls, No Way Indy Doesn't Make Super Bowl : Not one bit. My qualm is with the refs. Call it both ways or don't call it. It's like the protecting the QB rule. I think the refs do call that both ways. We have benefited and have been sc**ed as well (Buffalo game?). And when I say both ways I don't mean the 2007 game. The refs called it both ways there. PI on the Pats D and PI on Randy Moss.  So, as I said, if the refs continue to give Manning the momentum back when the Colts are down, there will be no way to beat them because they are almost impossible to beat when they are ahead and can fully unleash Mathis and Freeney.
    Posted by Caesar1177[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this thread, Caesar. You beat me to the punch on it.

I'm sick and tired of seeing one team...the Indianapolis Colts...getting these BS pass interference calls, which turn games in their favor. The Texans were up 20-7 and in firm control...the Colts had the ball on their own 38  yard line...and here comes the refs to Peyton's rescue, with a bogus 43 yard PI call. It clearly was the key play of the game...as it changed the momentum...and clearly sapped the enthusiasm out of the Texans' defense...as they realized that the "fix was in".  

In part, I blame Bob Kraft for not being more proactive in 2003 against the "Polian Passing Rules", and for not doing everything in his power in the aftermath of the Polian Rules, to see to it that Polian was removed from the NFL Rules Committee.

It is clear that, over the years, the Colts have been the prime beneficiaries of PI calls. As you correctly stated, any team that beats the Colts has to beat both them, and their 12th man, wearing striped shirts. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

from today's Indianaplis Star:
    Kravitz: Resourceful Colts finding creative ways to keep streak alive

"Logic tells you the Colts can't keep tiptoeing on the ledge every week. They can't keep counting on friendly calls, like the bogus pass interference that set up a touchdown. They can't keep waiting until the second half."

Don't ask Boston fans, ask the #1 football writer in Indie...Peyton Interfernce!