With ridiculous helmet to helmet calls, will league tone it down for playoffs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

With ridiculous helmet to helmet calls, will league tone it down for playoffs?

Like the Wilfork sack for a 15 yard penalty last week, you really have to hope no flag like that is thrown in the playoffs as it could really turn the outcome of a game.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Re: With ridiculous helmet to helmet calls, will league tone it down for playoffs?

If it means helping the Colts to a victory, probably not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

Re: With ridiculous helmet to helmet calls, will league tone it down for playoffs?

In Response to With ridiculous helmet to helmet calls, will league tone it down for playoffs?:
    [QUOTE]Like the Wilfork sack for a 15 yard penalty last week, you really have to hope no flag like that is thrown in the playoffs as it could really turn the outcome of a game.....
    Posted by ccsjl[/QUOTE]

The officials usually allow a bit more contact in the playoffs, but don't expect them to slow down on the helmet to helmet calls.  It has become a priority of the league to eliminate concussions.  Fines will be handed out in the playoffs, as will flags.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from modod. Show modod's posts

In Response to With ridiculous helmet to helmet calls, will league tone it down for playoffs?:
    [QUOTE]Like the Wilfork sack for a 15 yard penalty last week, you really have to hope no flag like that is thrown in the playoffs as it could really turn the outcome of a game.....
    Posted by ccsjl[/QUOTE]
    I was surprised Wilfork got a fine. The replays clearly showed the QB drop his head as he covered up in anticipation of the hit. I understand the referees have to make their determination on the spot, but the league office has the ability to look at the film and should be able to see when the offensive player (in this case) contributes to the helmet to helmet hit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I think it's a foregone conclusion that one of these silly, knee-jerk calls will affect the outcome of a playoff game . . .   probably sooner rather than later. Officials are obviously working without any clear idea of what constitutes a foul and what does not. Asante Samuel tries to behead a Minnesota Viking -- actually injuring himself in the process -- and that's perfectly okay because "the ball of his left foot never left the ground" (did you happen to read that little bit of whimsy from the league office?), but Vince Wilfork makes a textbook tackle where Chad Henne leans his helmet in to initiate grazing contact and that's 15 yards  and $10,000.

And please, don't hand me this nonsense about protecting players from concussion. That may be the intitiative, but the league has no clear parameters as to what defines an illegal hit, and it is making the officials look even worse than we normally expect (which is something I had heretofore thought impossible). The bottom line -- most of the time, at any rate -- is that you cannot tackle the quarterback . . .  ever . . .   and if you want to tackle the receiver, you must first let him catch the ball and get a nice running start away from you before you do it . . .   and after you do tackle him, even if you don't get flagged, expect a letter from the commissioner explaining how you owe him money for doing your job.

The game has come to be dominated by flags to the extent that it has almost become unwatchabe.

Admit it: You hold your breath after every play, waiting for the flag to fly in, don't you?

After every play.

So, yes . . .   it is going to happen.

This week . . .

Next week. . . .

The Super Bowl . . .

Sooner or later . . .

Count on it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

How about...will the broadcasters tone down their ridiculous helmet to helmit calls? One of these days the NFL is going to give them their own flags.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Our you serious  you really think cause a announer says its a  illegal hit the NFL fines on that alone? I dont think it has any bearing on it!Yes some are bad fines and bad calls ,bad calls been happening for years ,and as the fines yes they are ridiculous well some are at least but too say the announers call the call is more ridiculous.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

I think announcers routinely change their minds on air as well.  They'll go from saying that was a clean form tackle, then the flag flies, and their attitudes completely change....

I agree with modod about the review process.  Can offensive players simply lower their helmets in crucial situations, thus putting their helmets in the already small window a defensive player has to tackle them?  BOOM instant 1st down and 15 yards...  I wouldn't be shocked to start seeing a trend of more helmet to helmet contact on 3rd downs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: With ridiculous helmet to helmet calls, will league tone it down for playoffs?:
    [QUOTE]I think announcers routinely change their minds on air as well.  They'll go from saying that was a clean form tackle, then the flag flies, and their attitudes completely change.... I agree with modod about the review process.  Can offensive players simply lower their helmets in crucial situations, thus putting their helmets in the already small window a defensive player has to tackle them?  BOOM instant 1st down and 15 yards...  I wouldn't be shocked to start seeing a trend of more helmet to helmet contact on 3rd downs.
    Posted by Payment84[/QUOTE]

Indeed, they do.

Most often you will see the anouncers agree with the officials no matter what the officials call. Chris Collinsworth is famous for this. He'll initially tell you what he saw, and often has reasonable takes, but "upon further review," he will always say "good call."  Every time. Virtually all of them do this, particularly the lead broadcasters on the national games, which are the guys we'll be seeing from here on out.

As for quarterbacks and receivers initiating the contact themselves by leaning in specifically to draw flags . . .   that's already happening.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: With ridiculous helmet to helmet calls, will league tone it down for playoffs?:
    [QUOTE] Our you serious  you really think cause a announer says its a  illegal hit the NFL fines on that alone? I dont think it has any bearing on it!Yes some are bad fines and bad calls ,bad calls been happening for years ,and as the fines yes they are ridiculous well some are at least but too say the announers call the call is more ridiculous.
    Posted by lippa[/QUOTE

Yeah because we all know the NFL doesn't have knee jerk reactions to the sportstertainment press.  And you might want to take an English class or two.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

haha evil  go too name calling just cause i dissagree with you .so i might not be the best typer or at english  ,i was just making apoint IMOP

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: With ridiculous helmet to helmet calls, will league tone it down for playoffs? : Indeed, they do. Most often you will see the anouncers agree with the officials not matter what the officials call. Chris Collinsworth is famous for this. He'll initially tell you what he saw, and often has reasonable takes, but "upon further review," he will always say "good call."  Every time. Virtually all of them do this, particularly the lead broadcasters on the national games, which are the guys we'll be seeing from here on out. As for quarterbacks and receivers initiating the contact themselves by leaning in specifically to draw flags . . .   that's already happening.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Receivers have been acting to get flags for decades. So have punters.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReddsGhost. Show ReddsGhost's posts

I've noticed several offensive players dipping their helmets when they are about to be hit. It gains 15 yards, so why not? They'll continue to do that until the league takes notice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]I've noticed several offensive players dipping their helmets when they are about to be hit. It gains 15 yards, so why not? They'll continue to do that until the league takes notice.
    Posted by ReddsGhost[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the problem.

Goodell thinks he's "preventing injuries" and the receivers and quarterbacks are smirking to themselves.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I think that Goodell and the powers that be are totally ruining pro football.
    somebody ought to get an interview with dick butkus and get his take on what's happened to his sport.