With the 22nd pick the New England Patriots Select...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

With the 22nd pick the New England Patriots Select...

Nobody, why this year this selection will be traded away.

The Pats have holes all over the team, with three second round picks already I believe they will want to make it 4 and add a 3rd rounder.

Here's what I see for talent, by the 22nd pick the talent level is flat until you get to the late second.   Yes there might be some stud that falls but I don't think unless is Suh BB will pick at this spot.

Teams like Tampa who hold multiple 2nd round selection will most likely look to add big talent and like Baltimore did last year they were targeting a player and traded up to get him.

The Pats 22nd pick's value is 780 for all those of you who want to see what pics they can get, if I stick with the Bucs we would be able to get their #35 (3rd in the 2nd) and their 67th (3rd in the 3rd) which amount to a value of 805.

As previous drafts suggest, OLBs fall out of the first round because they are a gamble.  I think with the 35th (assuming this trade goes) the Pats will have multiple OLBs available or DE/DT depending what happens with VW.

This is a very deep draft for DLs, they can certainly pick one or two in the second round than in other years could be 1st round talent. 

So who knows what BB will do but with all the help we need, the talent available in the second round I tend to believe we might not need to tune in to the first night of the draft.

Here are some of the second round (projected) players:
    OLB:
    Eric Norwood (undersized) at 6'0
    Jerrry Hughes (again going to the thinking OLBs will fall out of 1st round
    Rod Muckelroy
    Brandon Lang 6'4" 256
    Greg Hardy (listed as a DE but would fit a 34 OLB) 6'5 255
    Ricky Sapp (same DE fits 34 OLB) 6'4 250
    George Selvie (another DE fits 34OLB) 6'4" 245
    These are all projected 2nd round except Selvie (3rd) but he is considered one of the best pass rushers in the Nation, a South Florida player, BB already drafted on player from there last year so he could make a move on him.
    DT and DEs
    Arthur Jones 6'3" 295 DE 34
    Dan Williams 6'2" 327 NT
    Jared Odrick 6'4" 298 DE
    Vince Oghobaase 6'6" 300 DE

MLB if we need one (I think we do), pick Micah Johnson in the 2nd or Joe Pawelek in the 3rd (again assuming we trade out of 1st and get a 2nd and 3rd)

If you are thinking we need a guard and RT well there are some of those too but only 5 between the two positions are projected 1st rounders.
    WRs and RBs, I agree we need at least one of each but a 1st round won't be used on either. 
    CBs, there are some good prospects that are available in the 2nd but these guys are hit and miss.  I like Donovan Warren (michigan) but who knows but let the Ws go.

So, after all that, who knows what BB will do but I'm basing this on previous drafts, 2010 needs, 2010 prospect talent pool.

If a stud like Joe Haden falls to 22nd (dream on) then throw all this out the window but I don't think a top 10 talent will fall.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

Re: With the 22nd pick the New England Patriots Select...

STOP with the trading out of first round picks and I'm sick of hearing about "value". This team is thin on talent overall based on that continued philosophy. Sooner or later you need to cash in the picks and USE them to obtain first tier talent. If anything you TRADE UP to go and get a player you covet. You don't get a Darelle Revis, Brian Cushing, Beanie Wells, Clay Matthews, or any other difference making playmaker by trading DOWN. Get "value" with the rest of your draft. For cryin' out loud..use a first round pick!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

I like your thinking about moving out of the first round. But I think they have had success picking immediate impact players in the 1st round in previous drafts. 22 is a value pick. I think they will take a stab at the best available talent. Go back to youre roots of picking "best available" plug em in where ever they seem fit. Cuz we all know the patriots have a lot of holes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Smorgan I hear you but it will not happen, look at the diffence in money between even the 22nd to a 2nd rounder.  Last year would have been the year to pick in the 1st because there was such a drop in talent.

We had three guys that we could have picked with the 1st round and let them go.

This year as I stated the talent at DE/DT is deep, there are only so many picks in the first round.  Some of these guys will fall to round two which is y I believe we will be trading out.

There have been a lot of planning to have the picks the Pats do going into the draft, giving multiple of those away to get 1 impact player when there are SO many holes all over the team I don't think will be the way to go this year.

Again if a stud falls to 22nd then I think that's the only way the Pats pick someone at that spot.  With a number of teams not having a 1st round pick (chicago comes to mind) there will be someone calling the Pats for the 22nd.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

With all of the present holes, and possible impending FA holes, trading for a high 2nd and high 3rd with Tampa would be a good idea.
     Pats7393-The only way the Bears get the pick is by giving up 2011 picks (which I hope BB does not do). The Bears do not have a 1st or 3rd (Cutler), or 2nd (Gaines Adams).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Agree with Patsfan. Graham is a beast. His quickness off the ball is pretty striking, so if he's around at 22 I'd be thrilled to take him. I would then do what I needed to do to take Odrick next, even if it means trading up. I think the best bet is to trade up and get two 'value' guys in the 20-30 range. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

One of these guys.....field position killed this team Wink

Punters

1. Matt Dodge, East Carolina
    2. Scott Love, UL Monroe
    3. Zoltan Mesko, Michigan
    4. Jeremy Boone, Penn State
    5. Alonso Rojas, Kansas
    6. Mike Brandtner, Iowa State
    7. Chas Henry, Florida (Jr.) 
    8. Zach Johnson, Eastern Michigan
    9. Brent Bowden, Virginia Tech
    10. Keenyn Crier, Arizona (Jr.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

BB will most likely trade it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I could see us trading down from 22 into the 28-36 range to pick up either a 3rd rd pick in the 64-70 range or a 2nd rd pick next year from the team that moves up 6-10 picks in rd 1 and maybe another 4th this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Things happen on draft day that throw every preconceived idea out the window.

The year the Pats took Chad Jackson I don't think they were necessarily targeting wide receivers, but when the top rated receiver in the draft fell to them at 36 they had to jump on it, even if maybe they didn't do their homework on him... bust.

This past season for us was a rebuilding year, who leaves in free agency will determine what we do with the pick.  It would surprise me at all if Bill decided to sit there and pick at 22.  The only thing he probably won't do is trade up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from deman3392. Show deman3392's posts

Brandon Graham or Jonathan Dwyer

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

PAT-from-India, I would love if the Pats got their hands on Spiller, but I would be pretty surprised if he isn't gone by pick #15.

Patsfan24-7, if Brandon Graham is like Lamar Woodley, my only question is, "how soon can he get here?" I'm not as knowledgable as some on draft prospects, but I've read a few reports on him and he sounds like a well-rounded, productive player that the team would be lucky to land.

I also wouldn't mind it if they took a look at Jason Pierre-Paul. I know he's raw, since he only played one season out of juco, but at 6'6"/265, physically he's just a beast and he was a major disruptive force off the line in the couple of games I saw him in. I think he has insane potential.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

No way that will happen. They don't need a ton of picks. They need to upgrade some positions. I thought you were going to say they trade out of that pick into next year and pick up maybe a 3rd rounder this year and a first rounder next year. 

I think there is little chance the Pats will move this pick. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

another trade down for more picks...............it hasn't worked in years......we have passed on a dozen solid lb's..............its assinine

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

I listened/read countless grumbles about the Pats acquiring Vollmer.  Nobody could understand it; everyone had a better pick to make.  Of course, Sea Bass was the right pick; might have been made in the first round, given what is known, now.

So, I'll just wait, until the pre-seaon play starts to see where these drafted players end up.  Most of them are just names that don't get into the mix.  In fact, a portion of those that do, don't seem to have the staying power.

We'll see...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgmlrm3706. Show sgmlrm3706's posts

I think moving out of #22 and getting another 2nd rounder to give us 4 is a great idea. Just think, 4 of the top 64 players would be great. As bad as things appear or looked, we are really not that far away. the PATS are still a good team. We need depth as well as star power.
    I think we select 4 second rounders and trade the our 1st next year for an impact player.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Seabass would have been at least a top 10 pick, which would have cost about 3 second round picks to trade up to.

Any complaints about last year's draft are misguided.

People want to trade everything for a top 10 pick this year?

We basically did that last year, except we're paying him pennies on the dollar.

4 second rounders would be okay with me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

my point is we've done it before with so called weak drafts, I don't think or expect this year with whats been called a very deep draft not to move to end of round 1 or completely out. 

Sure I would love the Pats to pickup one of the top 20 ranked players but we just don't have a hole on one spot, we have a number of them at a single position forget about the full roster.

The truth is, if we can find the next Voll in the second round (4 of them) this will raise the Pats back to contend for the AFC title.  Look at ratings for players, how many are ranked as 1st round talent and there are only 32 1st round picks not all 1st round talent can be taken in the first round.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

murg all good points but i don't think any of us will stop trying to guess even as you point out how wrong we've all been.  Eventually someone will get it right and for the record I had chung in my mock just not as the first player picked by the pats but I also had Barwin and didn't know who Voll but won't stop from looking at players and see who I would pick or would do if I was BB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Jerry Hughes from TCU.  He's a starter at OLB from day 1.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

SMORGAN IS CORRECT- TRADING DOWN, NOW COUNTERPRODUCTIVE , WE'RE DEPLETED OF TALENT!!! AND LOOSEN UP THE PURSE STRINGS, ON YOUR BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE PAYROLL!!! BADLY NEEDED 2 DE'S  THAT CAN SACK THE QB, TACKLE AND DROP IN COVERAGE, WHEN NECESSARY. ALSO, 2 OLB WITH SAME ABILITIES, NO MIDGETS,  AT LEAST6'3", 240-260 LBS- MAKE  SELECTION 22 FROM THE GROUP, AND USE THE NEXT 3 CHOICES, FOR THE REST OF THE ABOVE- PERHAPS MAKE ONE AN ILB, TO HELP OUT MAYO AND GUYTON.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

is there a reason u feel the need to type in ALL caps?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't mind differing opinions but an informed one would be good.  The Pats are one of the top spenders and they are close to the cap limit every year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Has anyone followed the rise of O'Brien Schofield of Wisconsin?  He's impressing people at the EWS practices right now.  He's a little smaller of an OLB than the Pats generally go for (6'3, 245), but he was a fantastic pass rusher and he's impressing (internet) scouts in coverage as he will play LB in the EWS game.  He had 12 sacks and 24.5 TFL this year!  I'm kind of hoping my Colts will draft him and leave him at end (he's bigger than Robert Mathis), but I think he's going to end up in the first half of the 2nd round...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't follow college football which means I don't really have a good idea of who to get but I like that the Pats have so many picks in the first 2 rounds this year since college guys are trying to get out while there's no cap.  Experts predict a deep draft and the Pats are in perfect position. 

I like Reese as the new "whatever his title is" guy that helps with the draft picks.  Last years draft was one of the best in years.