Woodhead for Faulk replacement this year and beyond....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Woodhead for Faulk replacement this year and beyond....

When i was watching Woodhead on hardknocks he looked like the jack of all trades player that the patriots once reached for long ago...

Kevin Faulk

Woodhead reminds me of Welker as he is cut from the same cloth, small, but not too small 5'7 200 pounds is pretty similar to Faulk 5'9" 210....

He displayed speed and agility, running times between 4.33 and 4.38 in the 40-yard dash, which would place second overall for all college running backs.

He also posted the best agility time (4.03 seconds), the second-best vertical jump (38.5 in), and the best 60-yard shuttle time (11.2) seconds.

Despite only being 5'7" and weighing in at 200 lbs., Woodhead had the best athletic times, overall, of all the running back prospects in the nation.

Bottom line he is like Welker and Faulk because everyone said he could not do it........ Well now he has an opportunity to SHINE becasue Sammy Morris cannot play Faulks position... We saw him in that role in the second half and he was subpar.... Woodhead can run a delayed draw in his sleep.

Watch the film!

All i am saying is the Patriots picked this kid up just in the knick of time and hopefully he will be trained up and know the position enough to stick it to the JETS the next time we see them!!!!!!!!!!

I think our BOY FAULK has played his last down in this league and he has been by far my favorite player in the last 10 year.....

Let wish him a speedy recovery Welker style.

Woodhead set several NCAA college football rushing records, including single season rushing and all-time rushing. In 2006 and 2007, he won the Harlon Hill Trophy, awarded to the best player in NCAA Division II, making him the third player to win the trophy twice in its history (the other players are Johnny Bailey and Dusty Bonner). On October 6, 2007, Woodhead became the NCAA all-time, all-division leading rusher. Woodhead held this record until it was broken by Mount Union College running back Nate Kmic on December 13, 2008.[1]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Woodhead for Faulk replacement this year and beyond....

Did you hear about Edelman. It's him. I read about it on another thread.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

this kid looks great on paper. I look forward to seeing how it is translated to the field. Hopefully he can learn the playbook and be the replacement for faulk we have been looking for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

In Response to Re: Woodhead for Faulk replacement this year and beyond....:
    [QUOTE]Did you hear about Edelman. It's him. I read about it on another thread.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

Ewhite; If it is truely Edleman WELL THEN our O just got better even though we lost a VET.

Imagine this;

Edleman
                                                Brady 
                         Hern                                            Welker
      Moss                      ML, CON, KOP, NL, VOL                             Tate

I like this Spread

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Edelman isn't a sure thing at Faulk's position.  Faulk can pick up blitzes witht the best of them, especially for his size, and he has a nose for the 1st down marker that not every back has.  This is the 2nd position that Edelman will be asked to learn in as many years. 

Injuries create opportunities for other guys.  But asking a 2nd year converted QB to take over for Faulk and excel immediately might be a bit much. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

I'm with ya Tagandtrade. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Woodhead could do with a few touches in the open field.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

If Woodhead had those numbers @ LSU he would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick regardless of his size.... reference Maurice Jones Drew....

Also, people say well he played against inferior competition....

Yes, that is correct but once upon a time I ran behind a Varsity O Line with three years of experience per positon and i gained over 200 yards in one half.

The very next year behind a new line with no Varsity experience i stuggled to gain 100 yards per game in the same divission.

Something needs to be said for the inferior O Line he ran behind and the fact that his QB in college @ Chadron State was horrible throwing the ball so they stacked the box with 9 players on every down.

I do not want to diminish Faulks value but he gained 1/3 of the yards @ LSU in the best conference in NCAA football with one of the best O Lines in college football and a QB that could play the pro style _ Herb Tyler if i am not mistaken...?

Point is this the competition is irrelvant because I may find it easier to run behind a line with potential, skill, talent and experience against the BEST competition available with the help of great coaches. In the past that has worked better for me..... rather than running behind an inferior line with limited skill and talent and inferior competition.

Woodhead had almost 2800 yards on the ground in 2006 and 2007!!!!

that doubles faulks out put @ LSU in two years when compared to four!

I am just guessing this kid fell under the radar for all the wrong reasons

He is going to BLOW this up with Edleman @ his side.

GO PATS

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Edelman is a brain and a half.  He reportedly didn't have to be told anything twice, and he picked up the wide receiver package with shocking speed, which means that he probably can also pick up the whole blitzing package with shocking speed.

Woodhead, well, with a last name like that...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

5'8 202 pounds- Faulk 

5'9 200 pounds- Woodhead

Similar size, both have good hands, both can run well out of a draw play. I don't know about Woodhead's blitz pick-up, but if it's above average that's good. You can't have Edelman back there because it tells the defense that it's a pass play. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]You can't have Edelman back there because it tells the defense that it's a pass play. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]
    Edelman spent his college career dropping back and then running forward through the line to the first down marker.  He didn't have much running back help.  He was it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from russgrisworld. Show russgrisworld's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Woodhead for Faulk replacement this year and beyond.... : Edelman spent his college career dropping back and then running forward through the line to the first down marker.  He didn't have much running back help.  He was it.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

You are wise beyond your years Paul and I don't even know how old you are.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

If our idea to "replace" Kevin Faulk is a guy named Woodhead whom we just signed a week ago then I will go out on a limb and say we are in trouble this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]5'8 202 pounds- Faulk  5'9 200 pounds- Woodhead Similar size, both have good hands, both can run well out of a draw play. I don't know about Woodhead's blitz pick-up, but if it's above average that's good. You can't have Edelman back there because it tells the defense that it's a pass play. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Blitz pickup is more an acquired skill than a physical one. Since Woodhead was a math education major he's not a moron. You know what I mean like the guys that graduate with a degree in playground management.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Woodhead for Faulk replacement this year and beyond.... : You are wise beyond your years Paul and I don't even know how old you are.
    Posted by russgrisworld[/QUOTE]

Woo! 

I'm telling you, I'm waiting for Julian Edelman to pull up and chuck a pass downfield.  He has the brains to be the third quarterback on this team, and he's waiting to blossom in short yardage situations.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from russgrisworld. Show russgrisworld's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Woodhead for Faulk replacement this year and beyond.... : Woo!  I'm telling you, I'm waiting for Julian Edelman to pull up and chuck a pass downfield.  He has the brains to be the third quarterback on this team, and he's waiting to blossom in short yardage situations.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

The Pats were using Edelman in that role during the Preseason. They also had him lined up there in the first quarter before Faulk got hurt. They guy can do anything they ask him to. Who on an opposing defense can cover him coming out of the backfield or sprinting out into the flat? Answer- Nobody. If you want to replace a weapon like Faulk you have to replace him with another weapon and Edelman is the best Playmaker we have to fit that role.
    I don't know what the ultimate decision will be but that seems to make the most sense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

We're all assuming that the current O Coordinator without the O Coordinator title will be innovative enough to make due with guys who are, while talented, maybe not the full package like good ol' Kev.  I think with the guys they have on the roster, they'll get something done.  But the magic of Faulk was that he could fit in any package they were running on 3rd down. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

You guys would risk Edelman's health running the football instead of giving it to a guy who knows how to run the ball? Woodhead is a RB/WR, Kevin Faulk was a RB/WR in the offense. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from koft. Show koft's posts

[QUOTE]If Woodhead had those numbers @ LSU he would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick regardless of his size.... reference Maurice Jones Drew.... Also, people say well he played against inferior competition.... Yes, that is correct but once upon a time I ran behind a Varsity O Line with three years of experience per positon and i gained over 200 yards in one half. The very next year behind a new line with no Varsity experience i stuggled to gain 100 yards per game in the same divission. Something needs to be said for the inferior O Line he ran behind and the fact that his QB in college @ Chadron State was horrible throwing the ball so they stacked the box with 9 players on every down. I do not want to diminish Faulks value but he gained 1/3 of the yards @ LSU in the best conference in NCAA football with one of the best O Lines in college football and a QB that could play the pro style _ Herb Tyler if i am not mistaken...? Point is this the competition is irrelvant because I may find it easier to run behind a line with potential, skill, talent and experience against the BEST competition available with the help of great coaches. In the past that has worked better for me..... rather than running behind an inferior line with limited skill and talent and inferior competition. Woodhead had almost 2800 yards on the ground in 2006 and 2007!!!! that doubles faulks out put @ LSU in two years when compared to four! I am just guessing this kid fell under the radar for all the wrong reasons He is going to BLOW this up with Edleman @ his side. GO PATS
    Posted by tagandtrade[/QUOTE]
    woodhead will never be a jones-drew...even though he`s porbably quicker. jones-drew is built like a tank and can take hits that will knock woodhead out of some games. the best that you can hope for with woodhead is to become another kevin faulk. good luck.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Woodhead for Faulk replacement this year and beyond.... : woodhead will never be a jones-drew...even though he`s porbably quicker. jones-drew is built like a tank and can take hits that will knock woodhead out of some games. the best that you can hope for with woodhead is to become another kevin faulk. good luck.
    Posted by koft[/QUOTE]

So Jones Drew is a "tank" knew he was a"tank" before he got drafted? Not too many people on this board.

Bottom line is scouts look @ the following criteria;

1) Abilities record on the football field... seen on film or measured in numbers.
    2) Combine speed, agility, shiftiness, quickness (gathered from short and long shuttles) jumping high and afar, catching... and Strength.
    3) The interview, education, chalk talk x&o's and knowledge of the game.
    4) Background, upbringing, presentation.
    5) Ar you a winner, do you have a high motor without a ceiling...

So if i am a scout and i have the following line up;

Woodhead
    Faulk
    Jones Drew

Who do you pick based on the criteria they use to select picks?

Lets level the playing field assume they are all from SEC teams!

Woodhead has the best 40, high jump, short shuttle, long shuttle, bench press of all of them.

His school won more with him @ RB than they had without him so he is a winner and a leader by example.

He statistics crush Jones Drews and Faulk as well.

If I was a scout i would pick Woodhead...

I am just bassing this on the fact that under similar circumstances the numbers support that he is the best back.

NOW; is Jones Drew a "Tank" yes... Could Woodhead take a hit like him probably not. but i have a feeling Jones Drew who gives rather than receives punishment has a shorter shelf life due to his style....

Woodhead is shifty and quick he dodges hits like Wleker and Faulk which is why they have been more durable than most.

Also; Jones Drew gets paid 6.5 mil per year correct?
    Woodhead plays for the league min!

Jones Drew plays RB correct
    Woodhead plays RB/WR punt return, kick off return and special teams

I am going to take the diamond in the rough who is a 4 tool player, who is more athletic and statistically better than the others FOR the min!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

When i see Julian Eddleman run i get exited, this dude is a weapon. However I wouldnt be too sure with him picking up blitzes of taking a handoff. Woodhead has all the measureables to be a productive 3rd down back but he has little experience and im not sure if he can step up immediatly.