Would you play BenJarvus Green-Ellis over Laurence Maroni? POLL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

Would you play BenJarvus Green-Ellis over Laurence Maroni? POLL

even if he somehow makes the team, i do not want maroney being a starter anymore. that has to be earned from scratch. i would rather see fred taylor with those honors or even Ellis at this point. or have him backing up Ellis. the guy's running style is exactly what we need. perhaps we would put Morris on PUPmlist to start. frankly, if all were healthy, maroney would be the odd guy out!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostOfLombardi. Show GhostOfLombardi's posts

Re: Would you play Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis over Tender Roni? POLL

The RB order will be determined by the opponent as follows

1A Maroney
    1B F Taylor
    2 Morris
    3 Faulk
    4 BJGE

Maroney-bashing is tedious and unsupported. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

You've got to be kidding me right...

Look I love BJGE since the signed him as an undrafted FA and was shocked he did not get drafted. He went to 2 different colleges and ran for 4 straight 1000 yards seasons. I always have said all along he needs to be kept.

However, typical fans lose their minds about preseason games and ignore the facts. Forget for a moment any comparisons between BJGE and the other existing roster RB's. I already did some of that in my other discussion on here.

Let's simply look at last nights game... I only had time to get through the first half.

1st Quarter

Possession 1
     1 carry 2 yrds

Possession 2
     1 carry 3 yrds

Possession 3
     3  yrd (pass)
     1 carry 2 yrds
     4 yrd (pass)

EO1STQ 3 carries for 7 yrds with a 2.3 yrd/avg

2nd Quarter

Possession 1
     1 carry 16 yrds
     1 carry -1 yrd
     1 carry -1 yrd
     1 carry 0 yrds

Possession 2
     1 carry 1 yrd
     1 carry 0 yrds
     7 yrd (pass)

Possession 3
     1 carry 5 yrds
     1 carry 1 yrd

EO2NDQ 8 carries for 21 yrds with a 2.6 yrd/avg

Let's not get carried away people. The giants were playing some of their starters and better people in the first quarter and the Pats were not so we have to take that into account but the more scrubs the Giants played the better BJGE did because the bigger the holes became.

I love to have him on our team and no question we keep him but as far as him leap frogging the other roster RB's...???? I see no evidence of that "yet".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

In Response to Re: Would you play Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis over Tender Roni? POLL:
    [QUOTE]You've got to be kidding me right... Look I love BJGE since the signed him as an undrafted FA and was shocked he did not get drafted. He went to 2 different colleges and ran for 4 straight 1000 yards seasons. I always have said all along he needs to be kept. However, typical fans lose their minds about preseason games and ignore the facts. Forget for a moment any comparisons between BJGE and the other existing roster RB's. I already did some of that in my other discussion on here. Let's simply look at last nights game... I only had time to get through the first half. 1st Quarter Possession 1  1 carry 2 yrds Possession 2  1 carry 3 yrds Possession 3  3  yrd (pass)  1 carry 2 yrds  4 yrd (pass) EO1STQ 3 carries for 7 yrds with a 2.3 yrd/avg 2nd Quarter Possession 1  1 carry 16 yrds  1 carry -1 yrd  1 carry -1 yrd  1 carry 0 yrds Possession 2  1 carry 1 yrd  1 carry 0 yrds  7 yrd (pass) Possession 3  1 carry 5 yrds  1 carry 1 yrd EO2NDQ 8 carries for 21 yrds with a 2.6 yrd/avg Let's not get carried away people. The giants were playing some of their starters and better people in the first quarter and the Pats were not so we have to take that into account but the more scrubs the Giants played the better BJGE did because the bigger the holes became. I love to have him on our team and no question we keep him but as far as him leap frogging the other roster RB's...???? I see no evidence of that "yet".
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]
    i m also going by how he has run and produced during the regular season in his limited opps!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mixtapes11. Show mixtapes11's posts

Re: Would you play BenJarvus Green-Ellis over Laurence Maroni? POLL

no doubt, Maroney is not the answer for this franchise ..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: Would you play Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis over Tender Roni? POLL:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you play Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis over Tender Roni? POLL : i m also going by how he has run and produced during the regular season in his limited opps!
    Posted by bubbakilla[/QUOTE]

Although Lawrence drives me crazy sometimes like everyone else, he still has a better ypc avg than BJGE as a starter against regular season competition. As do the rest of the currently rostered RB's.

On a different note I really hope they use Maroney as the featured Kickoff return man and that  would be my thought even if Slater was not injured and made the team outright. Maroney is the only one I've seen come close to duplicating Hobbs success on kickoff returns. He had a 28 yrd avg his rookie year and ran a nice one back in one of the preseason games when he had the opportunity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Yes I would.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from timithye. Show timithye's posts

It will not really matter since LM will likely be injured by week 4, SM by week 6 and FT a short time after that.  Not that I would like to see it happen, but the past 2-3 seasons have shown this type scenario to play out.  BJGE will get his shot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I think Taylor is the Pats' number 1. You don't bring in an established future HOF RB to start behind a kid. 

RB depth chart. 

1.) Taylor
    2.) Maroney
    3.) Morris
    4.) Faulk (He will get all the 3rd down possessions.)
    5.) BJE 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

I would like BJGE get the same opportunities/reps as Maroney. We've seen what LM can do with the first string let's give BJGE that chance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

The fact that we are even in a discussion, after three seasons, about Maroney is evidence that he is not capable (unless he proves all of us average, no nothing, except we know what we see fans) of being a dependable NFL running back.  Law firm may not be the answer either, but he runs at the line - reminds of Mike Cloud. A good, not great running back. The Pats don't need an outstanding back just a couple of dependable ones, they have been very successful with this formula (Corey Dillion being the exception). The Pats need a back who will keep the linebackers and other attacking pass rushers/dbacks honest, I don't think Maroney is that type of guy because he is at best inconsistent.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

I think Ben Jarvis is one of the better RBS, if not the best on this team right now. I'm not saying that based on just last nights preseason game. I'm saying this based on what he has done and shown in the regular season as well. His skills should definitely be utilized, He is a tough guy to bring down. In the final touchdown last night, he broke about two or three arm tackles. It was impressive. He is very skilled at reading the gaps, and sticks to a decision. You don't often see him dancing side to side TRYING to read the play, while everything collapses. I like what Maroney brought to the table in his rookie year. He rolled over guys, and bashed through them. He learned a hard lesson then that NFL guys are much bigger then the NCAA guys, and he got beat up up EVERY season since then. Now he is playing too tentative, and looking not to get injured, which we all know is going to happen- usually around week 4 or 5. Just put him back on kick return duty like when he was a rookie. Promote BJGE to where he should be. The smartest most skillfull player on the team at that POS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Witkov52. Show Witkov52's posts

In a Boston minute. What does BenJarvus have to do to prove that he's superior and far more durable than Maroney. Also, he's #1 in the depth chart as far as I can see. 
    Here's my depth chart:
    1. Green-Ellis
    2. Sammy Morris
    3. Kevin Faulk (He's the all-around multi-purpose guy, still!)
    4. Fred Taylor
    5. Laurence Maroney (He's just not consistent or durable and a complainer. Time to unload him.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

I couldn't believe BJGE was referred to as "on the bubble", in the game recap I just read. That can't be true, he has been the best back in the preseason.

I don't care who he was playing against; you take what are given and make an opportunity out of it. He has ran more decisively than Maroney and harder as well. I would like to see him run behind the starters, remember, he took advantage of the opportunity last year against the Bills.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

In Response to Re: Would you play BenJarvus Green-Ellis over Laurence Maroni? POLL:
    [QUOTE]It will not really matter since LM will likely be injured by week 4, SM by week 6 and FT a short time after that.  Not that I would like to see it happen, but the past 2-3 seasons have shown this type scenario to play out.  BJGE will get his shot.
    Posted by timithye[/QUOTE]

Truer words have never been spoken. I don't wish it either, but look at the track records these backs have, they are all good or better, but consistently injury prone.

My guess is by week 10, he'll get a start. I'd love to see his coming out party happen on Monday night against Indy. They spend all week preparing for the pass and he slashes them for 145+.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Ben Jarvis? Hell, I would start Jamal Anderson and Terrell Davis over Laura Maroney. I haven't seen a Pats running back this useless since Cedric Shaw.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trible. Show Trible's posts

LM has gone past the "seeing test" to the "eye rolling test", as in, after 3 years, SAME OLD SAME OLD.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cool-hand-luke. Show cool-hand-luke's posts

I know that people (including myself) are frustrated with Maroney because of the dancing behind the line- it makes me want to slit my wrists.  But it's also because he's injured so often and because the game plan when he's healthy doesn't always include him carrying the ball 20-30 times.   He does struggle against elite defenses, too, but it's possible that that is partly the o-line. 

It's easy to forget that in December 2007 he carried this team (except against the giants) and rolled out 2  100 yard games against jacksonville and san diego in the playoffs.  He's capable of being a good back when healthy (I know, WHEN HEALTHY), just not an elite one and our standards are pretty high given the overall quality of the team.

Frankly, I'd love to see what any of the four guys- Maroney, Fred, Sammy, or BJGE could do as the feature back, but the fact is it ain't happening under BB.  He'll play whoever is healthiest and whoever he thinks gives them the best chance to win.  This is especially true because none of these guys is Corey Dillon from a durability standpoint. 

Also, Maroney's not going anywhere because he's cheap and he's still talented- you have to hang on to that and hope.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Would you play BenJarvus Green-Ellis over Laurence Maroni? POLL:
    [QUOTE]even if he somehow makes the team, i do not want maroney being a starter anymore. that has to be earned from scratch. i would rather see fred taylor with those honors or even Ellis at this point. or have him backing up Ellis. the guy's running style is exactly what we need. perhaps we would put Morris on PUPmlist to start. frankly, if all were healthy, maroney would be the odd guy out!
    Posted by bubbakilla[/QUOTE]

Seemed like Laura was successful when Patriots had a lead.  Law Firm is more decisive - not as physically gifted, but has greater heart and instinct.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

I have been saying law Firm should start. F Taylor WAS a great back but I don't think he will able to handle the load at this stage of his career. Maroney has been a disappointment,but many of you guys are waaaaaay over the top in your criticisms,that is more a New England sports fan phenomenon. C Taylor may or not make the team because of special teams and can block well. Sammy Morris may not make the team,he looks slower,he's injury prone and has had a crappy preseason. Kevin Faulk just keeps on chugging I'd be suprised if he gets cut. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

To all the Maroney supporters can we just stop with all the excuses. For whatever reason, this guy is just not NFL material. Running back is one of the easiest positions to evaluate in terms of how long it takes a good player to develop. I remember seeing Curtis Martin for the first time in, a preseason game,and knowing that he was special.

Maroney just doesn't have "it". He has very poor vision, he is very indecisive ( both fatal flaws for an NFL running back) and while he has good top end speed he seems to lack explosiveness and foot speed.

I would love to be pleasantly surprised. But I highly doubt he will ever be a solid big league player.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LasVegasPatsFan. Show LasVegasPatsFan's posts

If LM was drafted in the 3rd round or later, there wouldn't be this many supporters.  Its only that he was drafted 1st round that many people feel he is better than BJGE.  Ive watched enough of "Michael Jackson" to know that he is not the answer.  It takes 2 guys to take BJGE down and runs very hard.  MJ falls when someone looks at him.  I am not too afraid to call him a bust.  Just my opinion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

i like tender roni as the lead kick returner and as a all-purpose situational runner, if healthy. but he should be behind BJGE, faulk and fred taylor. will put him ahead of sammy morris to start since morris has been injured again for most of camp. if morris could stay healthy he is perhaps the best all-around back the pats have outside of BJGE. being healthy is part of the job descriptin. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

It seems as though two first round draft picks, Watson and Maroney haven't lived up to their potential. Too bad. Perhaps Maroney will end up doing better in a different system. Time will tell. Bill says that when Benny is in the game he is productive! Everybody has a job on the team and Benny looks like he can move the chains. We need production at the running back position. Football is all about making something of your opportunities and BJGE does just that. He should move up the depth chart. I personally like him better than Maroney as I have tired of waiting for the former first round pick to be productive! I got a sneaking suspicion
    Bill has as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mstringr. Show mstringr's posts

In Response to Re: Would you play BenJarvus Green-Ellis over Laurence Maroni? POLL:
    [QUOTE]The fact that we are even in a discussion, after three seasons, about Maroney is evidence that he is not capable (unless he proves all of us average, no nothing, except we know what we see fans) of being a dependable NFL running back.  Law firm may not be the answer either, but he runs at the line - reminds of Mike Cloud. A good, not great running back. The Pats don't need an outstanding back just a couple of dependable ones, they have been very successful with this formula (Corey Dillion being the exception). The Pats need a back who will keep the linebackers and other attacking pass rushers/dbacks honest, I don't think Maroney is that type of guy because he is at best inconsistent.
    Posted by Shadowcpt[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I drank the kool-aide served up in a Globe Article printed after Taylor was picked up. His career started similarly. Disappointment and injury for 3 years and then - late bloomer. The point being - LM is finally clear of all that. Give him credit if anything for last year playing with an injury that would require surgury, now done. He's 100%.  In the preseason when he's had touches there was NOT the hesitation and dancing that he's been labelled with. Some said there was but those were the people who had their minds already made up before training camp.

So I'm willing to see what regular season brings.