Would you trade Kevin O'Connell for a cap friendly pass rushing OLB?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

Would you trade Kevin O'Connell for a cap friendly pass rushing OLB?

Curious what people in the forum feel about this issue.  I think O'Connell is an exceptional prospect and would make great trade bait if we went that route.  My guess is that he is worth a first round pick at this point (howlitzer for an arm, size and arm strength, 4.6/40).  Am I wrong about his value?  I know we would have to bring in an experienced backup if we did this or move Guitterez up to #2 (Knows the system).  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: Would you trade Kevin O'Connell for a cap friendly pass rushing OLB?

Trading O'Connell by definition isn't cap friendly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

[QUOTE]Trading O'Connell by definition isn't cap friendly.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Kyle-O'Connell will be pushed out of New England by Brady in a few years.  Another Pro Bowl caliber passer maybe.  I think with three years remaining on a reasonable contract his value is sky high.  Denver would be interested in him I bet.  Too bad they don't have any nice OLB's to trade us.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I would be interested in Jarvis Moss, but I wouldn't trade a valuable backup QB for him especially with Crable and Redd already on the team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

denver is probably the only team that would have any interest in o'connell at this point, and they don't have any defensive players i would want anything to do with. i think the point of o'connell (and the pats bringing in rookie QB's every year) is to try to build value. maybe in another 2 years o'connell gets to play 1 or 2 end of season games after the pats have clinched the playoffs. if he plays great and generates some buzz, then he can be traded for something decent. obviously it worked with cassel and i think they have tried that in the past with guys like michael bishop and rohan davey. i doubt at this point o'connell has much value league wide, but give him a few years. i also think hoyer could develop. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

no

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

Artie,
    That is where you get creative and pull of the three way trade.  McDaniels may like O'Connell over his options.  Not sure who the third partner is, but Denver has more out there than just junk to make it work. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Kevin O'Connell was picked by NE solely because of Josh McDaniels.   With Kyle Orton as the Starting QB, McDaniels giving up more than normal via trade is certainly not out of the question. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

The value of a quality backup quarterback in a league that doesn't even have enough starters to go around cannot be overstated. Of course, we don't really know if O'Connell is a quality backup yet. The problem with backup quarterbacks is the only time you find out if they're any good is when disaster strikes. We found out last season that the golden boy is human after all and, as much as we may not like to look right at it and see what it is, he is now and forevermore one (more) cheapie away from the NFL scrap heap. Forgetting for the moment that O'Connell has no cache' and you couldn't get much for him, I wouldn't trade him anyway.

What I really want to see is the Pats bring in a receiver named O'Donnell.

Imagine the headlines.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

If the Patriots snag Brian Griese, then yeah I can see them dealing away O'Connell. I think your idea of getting a first round pick is WAY to high.

You just don't get first round picks for players that haven't seen much game action.

Going after a cap friendly pass rusher... sounds nice, but I'm not quite sure who would be available.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Matt C. went 11-5 last year and the best we could do is a 2nd.  So I would think a 3rd round pick, in there 2nd year, who has never started a game has very little value.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

kittycat, can you name one player on the broncos not named champ that any team would want? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]Curious what people in the forum feel about this issue.  I think O'Connell is an exceptional prospect and would make great trade bait if we went that route.  My guess is that he is worth a first round pick at this point (howlitzer for an arm, size and arm strength, 4.6/40).  Am I wrong about his value?  I know we would have to bring in an experienced backup if we did this or move Guitterez up to #2 (Knows the system).  
    Posted by kittycat6969[/QUOTE]

Are you out of your mind? There is no demand for O'Connell. Cassel and Vrabel COMBINED brought a number two. What is the next post: why don't we trade Lawrence Maroney for Adrian Petersen???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

A third string QB for a first round pick ? Would this be a first round CFL pick ?
    I know you are a Pats fan and all....but setting the bar a bit high..eh Mellon ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]A third string QB for a first round pick ? Would this be a first round CFL pick ? I know you are a Pats fan and all....but setting the bar a bit high..eh Mellon ?
    Posted by rocher[/QUOTE]

I hear the Colts want to get younger. Maybe they will trade us Peyton Manning for O'Connell.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]Curious what people in the forum feel about this issue.  I think O'Connell is an exceptional prospect and would make great trade bait if we went that route.  My guess is that he is worth a first round pick at this point (howlitzer for an arm, size and arm strength, 4.6/40).  Am I wrong about his value?  I know we would have to bring in an experienced backup if we did this or move Guitterez up to #2 (Knows the system).  
    Posted by kittycat6969[/QUOTE]

Sorry Kitty.  O'Connell is unproven and doesn't have any value.  It's pretty much like Cassel.  At the beginning of the season last year a lot of folks on this board wanted Cassel benched and wanted O'Connel to start.  Bill knew better and stuck with Cassel.  The unnerving thing is Brady would have to go down again in order for O'Connell to have any value.  The truth is O'Connell has nothing right now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

O'Connell has no more value than the day he was drafted.  What has he done so far to increase his value from 3rd round to 1st round?? He hasn't even played in a game.

There is no use trading him for a 3rd round pick, so hold on to him. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

If the Patriots had a viable offer on the table for at the very least a high 2nd round pick next year I think BB would trade O'Connell,but since he doesn't have that you'll see Kevin as the #2 QB for at least 3 more years.There are no pass rushing OLB's available.So the Question is moot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from horrifying. Show horrifying's posts

Why settle only for a first round pick? The Panthers had been ringing BB nostop to try to arrange for a Julius Peppers-O'Connell trade.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]Why settle only for a first round pick? The Panthers had been ringing BB nostop to try to arrange for a Julius Peppers-O'Connell trade.
    Posted by horrifying[/QUOTE]

Good to know we have someone in here who is so inside that he can tell us the Panthers are just dying to give us Julius Peppers for O'Connell. I hear the Colts can't quit nagging BB to get O'Connell since Manning is getting old...offering Dwight Freeney but BB insists on Reggie Wayne to be included in the deal. I heard the phone was ringing off the hook on this one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]Good to know we have someone in here who is so inside that he can tell us the Panthers are just dying to give us Julius Peppers for O'Connell. I hear the Colts can't quit nagging BB to get O'Connell since Manning is getting old...offering Dwight Freeney but BB insists on Reggie Wayne to be included in the deal. I heard the phone was ringing off the hook on this one.
    Posted by BostonBobBlowhard[/QUOTE]

Bug boy my sad child why do you insist on posing as a Pats fan so you can post phony rumors?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Absolutely not!  We all found out last year how important the #2 QB is.  KO is being groomed to be Brady's successor and hopefully in a few years he'll be able to step right in and adaquetly fill Brady's shoes!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Kevin O Connel for a 1st round pick? Have you ever watched football before?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]Kevin O Connel for a 1st round pick? Have you ever watched football before?
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing Killa!  LOL!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Knocking a quarterback out for a season isn't as common as knocking one out for two, four or eight weeks.  The Patriots need a backup quarterback.

O'Connell did ok as a rookie.  BB and the Patriots have never drafted a quarterback as high as the third round in this millenium, so maybe they really like him.  O'Connell is fast enough to run half a wildcat offense, and at least he has a year of experience now.

Nick Cesario has given indications that the Patriots are satisfied with the pass-rushers they have now.  That's why they didn't draft anybody.  We haven't seen much of Crable as an injured rookie but he's 6 foot 6 with long arms, exactly what BB wants.