Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year?

Just curious. It would be a pretty high pick (top-5/10/15 - they play an easy division, but they're severely understocked)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year?

i dont know, i want the championship this year, so a pick doesnt do it for me at this moment. whereas mjd would make our team better than it is with welker now.

sb thi syear or bust. maybe we have 3 shots at a sb with bb and brady (in teh next 5 years). better start while brady is young (35)

in my mind we should have started going all in a couple years ago.

better late than never.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I would have to do it.  It's getting an impacted player and adding youth to the football team.  It's just the way it goes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

It's very likely that this is Welker's last year with us.  We all love him, but we have an embarassment of riches with people who can catch the ball between the numbers.  I'd probably do it if I knew we weren't going to pay the money he wants to retain him next year.  Kinda similar to the Seymour trade.  He was going to be gone the next year anyway, so getting a 1st round pick is a pretty good deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I would do it in a second.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

sure would

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I wouldn't want to if it was a late 1st round pick but Luck is a rook and that D is so bad that I might have to do it for a chance at a top 10 pick. Imagine getting a top 10 DT to put next to Wilfork book ended by Jones and Nin/Scott/Bequette. Now that's scary

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I don't think anyone is going to give up a first round AND pay a player another 9 million per year for 3 years.  I love Welker, its no surprise that Brady's meteoric rise to the top coincided with the trade for Welker.  Both have immensly increased each other's stock. 

Further, I've supported Welker in his fight for a contract.  Currently he is just being used by the system - effectively, I might add.  BTW, that's not to trash the pats.  They have played Welker about as well as a team can contractually.  Funny how that "family" atmosphere changes when its contract time. 

Anyway, Welker deserves the money, but giving up the money and a first rounder is something I hope the colts do not do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The Colts are in rebuild mode.  Why would they give up a 1st for a guy who is getting closer to the end of his career for a pick high enough in the 1st rd. that the player chosen could be another franchise cornerstone? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't know if I'd do it - we've had more draft picks than any team over the last 4 years and most of them aren't on the team. We've been trying for 3 years to replace what Seymore gave us and if we had a player like him we may of beaten the Jets two years ago and the Giants too.  We know what we have in Welker...a guy that will catch 100 passes for us. We have no idea what a 22 year old kid that has never played a down in the NFL will give.

If this were a team expected to win five games next year, that would be a different story. It's not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Why would anyone give two 1sts for Carson Palmer? Who knows, people are dumb sometimes but the question is a hypothetical if they did offer and the answer is you would have to take a deal for a 1st on a player with a one year contract. With that pick you can get a big talent for relatively low money for 5 years. See Seymour, Richard for example.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year?:
    [QUOTE]I don't know if I'd do it - we've had more draft picks than any team over the last 4 years and most of them aren't on the team. We've been trying for 3 years to replace what Seymore gave us and if we had a player like him we may of beaten the Jets two years ago and the Giants too.  We know what we have in Welker...a guy that will catch 100 passes for us. We have no idea what a 22 year old kid that has never played a down in the NFL will give. If this were a team expected to win five games next year, that would be a different story. It's not.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

This is the smart statement, and follows the old saying:  a bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year? : This is the smart statement, and follows the old saying:  a bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

You may of already answered this, but what is your opinion? Would you want your team dealing for Welker right now? I wouldn't, only because Luck is so young and by the time he really develops, Welker will be on his way out of the league. I guarantee the development period would be easier and quicker, but I still wouldn't do it. But could you imagine Wayne and Welker together?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'd expect the Colts to get better as the year goes on.  If they pulled a 6-10 or even an 8-8 I wouldn't be too surprised. 

This isn't necessarily Welker's last year.  He can be franchised again for the 2013 season, if he's still worth it.  Jonathan Kraft is putting out a longer term offer based on the fact that he can franchise again.  Wes and agent need to understand that "free agency" under NFL rules doesn't necessarily include superstars.  It's long like Welker is going to starve in the street, but Wes might make more money overall if he signs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Jri - how many MVP's has Brady won without Welker?  Maybe meteoric was too strong.  Brady had already demonstrated that he was a very good QB, but I think prior to 2007 people would not have listed him in the top 3 regardless of his Superbowl wins.  Since 07, there's no question.  And yes, Welker had something to do with that.

Thurl - If a contract was done prior to Welker arriving then absolutely.  Just not for the compensation that was presented here.  If you've read my thoughts, you know how highly I think of Welker, but a 1 plus the 8-9 mill in comp is too high, imo. 

the one thing I will say, however, is that the colts already may have that in Wayne.  Under the new regime, they've got Wayne in motion all of the time and depending on the play he could be running the slot routes frequently.  He's as sure handed as anyone and as good a route runner as anyone, but as I said on another thread, Collie may be done for good with another concussion.  That would make the colts awfully thin at receiver.

I am a big fan of good slot receivers. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]I'd expect the Colts to get better as the year goes on.  If they pulled a 6-10 or even an 8-8 I wouldn't be too surprised.  This isn't necessarily Welker's last year.  He can be franchised again for the 2013 season, if he's still worth it.  Jonathan Kraft is putting out a longer term offer based on the fact that he can franchise again.  Wes and agent need to understand that "free agency" under NFL rules doesn't necessarily include superstars.  It's long like Welker is going to starve in the street, but Wes might make more money overall if he signs.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]
    yet you have them ranked 31st.  How does your opinion jive with your model?  No 8-8 team could be considered 31st.

That said, I think the colts could be 8-8 if the schedule were set right.  It's not, imo.  I think they'll win 4-5.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year? : This is the smart statement, and follows the old saying:  a bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush. Posted by UD6[/QUOTE] You see the irony here. The Colts just jettisoned their HOF QB for the new flavor of the month.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

Yes.

Welker has done good things for us, but we have not won a title with him, this is clearly his swan song in NE so getting a high first for him would be excellent.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The Pat's won a championship with Troy Brown as the leading receiver, they won another with David Givens leading the way... no position is more overrated than WR.  How many rings does Welker have again?

BB would make this trade without hesitation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]i dont know, i want the championship this year, so a pick doesnt do it for me at this moment. whereas mjd would make our team better than it is with welker now. sb thi syear or bust. maybe we have 3 shots at a sb with bb and brady (in teh next 5 years). better start while brady is young (35) in my mind we should have started going all in a couple years ago. better late than never.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

I think BB goes "all in" every year! That is the only way you end up with the truly phenominal record of the last 11 years plus this year will make 12. THey JUST came within a hair of winning the SB last year. And either of two key injuries could have made the difference. And it still came down to one play by the O OR one play by the D. I don't get it when people talk about "all in" with this guy (BB).

On the Welker question - I think if you know you wont be resigning him then a trade for a first round pick is a good idea. Especially as we added Lloyd and Gaffney and as Edelman has had a little more experience than a year ago (though I am not basing this too much on anything to do with Edelman).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Would you trade Welker for the Colts' first round pick next year?": You see the irony here. The Colts just jettisoned their HOF QB for the new flavor of the month.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]
    Yep.  I sure do.  As you know, I was always in favor of keeping Manning.  I give the colts the benefit of the doubt due to knowing more about the situation than I do.  With some of the rumors out there, maybe Manning's nerve is taking longer to regenerate than anyone anticipated (then again that's only rumor).  Maybe the colts made the right decision.  Given the contract that Condon forced on them, they also had a huge decision to make.  Its was a dice roll and the bet had already been placed.  We'll find out whether or not they made the right decision. 

Given all of the other players no longer on the team, however, it suggests that even if Manning were at full strength, the lack of talent at other positions may have doomed the colts. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

This is a different team and a different game than it was in 2001-2004. Why do you just assume that because they won with those receivers then they can do it now? Especially with a very inexperienced running game..If you trade Welker and Lloyd gets hurt what do you do? I know a lot of people like to assume that the Patriots will continue being the Patriots after Brady is gone but that is a big uncertainty. I want them to put their best team on the field THIS YEAR.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]The Pat's won a championship with Troy Brown as the leading receiver, they won another with David Givens leading the way... no position is more overrated than WR.  How many rings does Welker have again? BB would make this trade without hesitation.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

While I fall on the side of making the trade IF they know they would not keep him (and even maybe if they would keep him) I am surprised by your statement Wozzy. First, both names you give, especially Brown, were excellent possession receivers (as Welker is). So the lesson may be that TB needs a special possession receiver to take advantage of his own talents best. This is partly true because TB is just not special throwing 25 yards or more downfield.

But the first thing that came to mind was 2006! Do you recall that year? It was the year we got rid of Branch and had no go to WR. It was the year we still were on the cusp of getting to the SB but we could not convert a third down and Manning took his team downfield late and beat us. It was the catalyst for Moss, Welker and 2007.

I think the lesson is that if you have a great QB in this league, make sure you give him the weapons he needs if you want to take advantage of his talents. In this case that reequires at the very very least an especially good possession WR. Not just TEs. This year Lloyd might be able to do that. Gaffney will likely be decent at adding value there as well. That is if we did not have Welker. I do not expect anyone to trade with us for Welker though.