Wow, nobody wants to talk about Crumpler?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Wow, nobody wants to talk about Crumpler?

Just curious why nobody brought this up yet? I would have thought a four time pro bowler would have at least got one post. Yeah, he's 32 and stayed home a lot blocking last year but didn't that kid down in Tenn go over 2000-yds last year?

I know he's not the answer but he's a huge improvement over Watson and that was a position that needed filling. Last week I posted on one of the sky is falling threads that we had met with Crumpler and Reed and still haven't heard anything. Now we have a pro bowl TE and if we can get Reed we'll be sitting great going into the draft.

stay patient my friends

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Wow, nobody wants to talk about Crumpler?

Good point Sam.  I was kind of thinking along that lines, but didnt put it in a thread.  I think he is going to be a great addition.  He will give whatever youthful TE we get a chance to learn, improve and adjust to the pros.  He should help the run game too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anarchy99. Show Anarchy99's posts

LT was great 5 years ago also, but this is 2010.  Crumpler is a decent signing but he is nowhere near the same guy he was when he was a Pro Bol TE.  Also, the Pats don't use the TE like other teams do.  In ATL, Crumpler was the key cog in the passing attack.  The Pats use their WRs way more and over the last few seasons the TEs were little more than after thoughts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

We had 2 threads going about him right after he was signed and the general thoughts were either, he's to old but good signing as a blocking TE or great signing as a blocking TE and dump off every so often for Brady. Not the receiving threat he once was but since the Pats don't really use the TE spot as the typical extra receiver he'll be fine. I guess it never went much further then that since most of us are in agreement over those points.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Wow, nobody wants to talk about Crumpler?:
    LT was great 5 years ago also, but this is 2010.  Crumpler is a decent signing but he is nowhere near the same guy he was when he was a Pro Bol TE.  Also, the Pats don't use the TE like other teams do.  In ATL, Crumpler was the key cog in the passing attack.  The Pats use their WRs way more and over the last few seasons the TEs were little more than after thoughts.
    Posted by Anarchy99

Atl and Tenn were 2 different Offenses....

Alge has not had a QB with Brady's quality....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

So he can't catch anymore?

Let's see:

Signed two years ago as a FA in TENN who have a "rising star" in 3rd year QB Vince Young. Oops, he isn't any good, enter Kerry Collins. So, he joins a new team, learns the offense and the QB only to have it change a aurter of the way into a season. Not exactly a way to gain any ground on a new team, in a new offense, with a quarterback issue.

Last year: Collins is the answer at QB! No...no, he also isn't any good. Reenter Vince. Also, great for the offense to change so much. Oh, and the team's running back had an ALL TIME year.

So he was a good receiving tight end in ATL, that's not even up for discussion. He wasn't a threat in TENN...but was that really his fault? Just because the team's QB situation was an absolute joke does not mean he's the reason, or his skill have eroded that far.

I look at it this way. He was one of the better receiving tight ends and came into a situation that was not AT ALL what he was expecting for 2 years, and he keeps his mouth shut, does his job (and very well), changes his game, and helps Chris Johnson go into the record books. I don't see any way to not be at least satisfied with him as the starting TE.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

He's going to be the man cathcing all those passes meant for Welker while he's out rehabbing. Who else is going to work the middle? Moss? HA! Edelman...sure, but who's split out wide on the other end?

It's not that the Pats don't throw to the tight end (how soon everyone forgets Jermaine Wiggins), it's that the Pats didn't have any TEs worth throwing too. Watson could run great in a straight line, just don't ask him to cut, and if you throw it to him...just pray he hangs on to the catch, and then doesn't knee the ball away from himself. I saw flashes, but never had any faith in Watson's ability as a receiver. Isn't it telling that he's most famous for a hustle play in catching Chump Bailey? He catches 2 TDs in every season opener, and goes away.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Jeff Fisher says Crumpler has alot left in the tank. If it were not for the log jam they have at tight end, he would still be there. He also says New England got a steal. Fisher really wanted Crumpler back but couldnt crunch the numbers. I really think crumplers stats will go back to normal in this offense. He is also, (from everything I have heard) a GREAT leader, which is something we soarly missed last year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

He won't have the dropsies like Graham and Watson were prone to and he paves the road in the running game... tight end isn't a glamour position for casual fans but luckily BB is a fan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I live in Atlanta and I've watched him in his prime with Vick. He's a class act on and off the field. Played through some knee issues and he plays hard. He was putting up insane numbers with opposing defenses knowing he was Vick's primary target. His run blocking is going to be a huge asset. Look at some of the holes he helped create for Chris Johnson.

It's a GREAT pickup and the people that overlook this move now will be singing a different tune down the road. Watch.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

He represents a viable option for Tom and has great hands so Tom will have confidence in throwing to ball to him.  When we need four yards, I want four yards and not a ten yard wide open drop as we have seen from several former tight ends here.  And he can block.  Welcome to NE Mr. Crumpler.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

If the Pats can get 2-3 yrs. out of Crumpler it's a great signing.  It's only money, no picks involved they can groom younger players behind him.  At worst, he catches 20-25 balls and he can still block effectively.  At best, he's a very good fit and has a very good year.  I've always liked Crumpler as a player.  Hope he has something in the tank.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

I'm pretty happy about the Crumpler pickup.  I like what I've heard of him so far, he's known as a hard worker, smart player, and a perfectionist.  He should shine with Brady throwing him the pigskin, rather than Young or Collins.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I've learned over the past few years not to get excited by TE signing's.  It has evolved into a one and done position.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Wow, nobody wants to talk about Crumpler?:
    Just curious why nobody brought this up yet? I would have thought a four time pro bowler would have at least got one post. Yeah, he's 32 and stayed home a lot blocking last year but didn't that kid down in Tenn go over 2000-yds last year? I know he's not the answer but he's a huge improvement over Watson and that was a position that needed filling. Last week I posted on one of the sky is falling threads that we had met with Crumpler and Reed and still haven't heard anything. Now we have a pro bowl TE and if we can get Reed we'll be sitting great going into the draft. stay patient my friends
    Posted by Sam-Adams

He's been mentioned in related threads about having no TEs.

I'll reserve judgement until I see him play. It's way too early to determine if he has any gas left....or if he's playing on fumes. We still need another TE....but, as others have pointed out, we need to improve lots of areas.

Mebbe he'll be another Wiggins.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

i'm happy about his signing. i think with it we'll see alot more use of the TE as a pass catcher that teams will have to treat as a viable threat.